Chapter 4: Goblins, what are they good for?
717 17 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I was peeking over the ledge to the last two archer posts I heard someone at the bottom of my current tower shout out.

 

???: “Hey, you two idiots! The King wants to know if you have seen the missing scouts yet! Hello? I swear, if you two shits are sleeping again I’ll kill you myself.”

 

‘I can understand them? Also, fuck! So they already noticed the missing scouts? No, more importantly, what am I going to do?’

 

???: “You’re asleep up there again aren't you?! Damn it, that’s it.”

 

I then heard whoever was climbing up start to grumble about useless non-evolved. Meanwhile I was panicking in my mind trying to think of a solution.

 

‘I am caught, no matter what. I can’t fly over the other side as the other archers are already looking this way I bet. Fuck! Alright, best bet is to use Evil Ray. It should be enough to kill whoever is climbing up, right?’

 

Soon as I picked a course of action, I saw an ugly green hand grab the ledge of the floor, and heard another grunt as the goblin pulled itself up.

 

???: “Alright you shits, wake the-”

 

Before he could finish he saw me holding my sword at his head, and before he could properly understand what exactly was going on, I used my sword's ability.

 

A giant 3 metre diameter wide ray of black and red light blew out of my sword, and through the goblin, travelled the full length of the camp and rammed into the cliff side. It left a deep, smouldering hole in the solid stone.

 

Artoria: “Holy shit. Did not expect that. This dudes only a pair of feet now! Damn, that took a lot of mana though, 30% if I have the count right. Shit, what am I doing, no time for this!”

 

Snapping myself out of the fact that I obliterated a hobgoblin with total ease, I turned to the other archer posts and used Charge. Arriving at the still stunned goblin archers, I used 2-fold on both of them in quick succession. Confirming they were both dead, if not still looking fine, via the quest tracker I moved on to the last post.

 

One of the goblins snapped out of it though, and noticed me charging him. He had enough time to shout in surprise, but didn’t have time to fully draw his bow. After using 2-fold on him, I was forced to dodge as the second archer had drawn a dagger and swung at me.

 

After dodging his swing, I retaliated with one of my own. He went to block my tiny sword with his knife, fully confident that it’d stop my swing easily. While mid swing, I had a curious thought, so I activated 2-fold and swung with all my strength.

 

Much to my glee, red lines started to appear along the direction I had swung. From his left hip to his right shoulder. His knife was also cut in pieces, and already tumbled to the ground. As he died, I felt a little surge in my mana.

 

As I was turning to look at how many goblins would be rushing towards me, I got a notice. Looking and seeing I had more than enough time, I quickly read the alert.

 

New Passive Learned!

~Death's Bounty B1~

Be rewarded for your kills. Physical kills grant 5% mana, while magical kills restore 5% stamina.

 

‘Oh, now that is just awesome. Also, that confirms I have a “set” amount of stamina. I just have no way to feel it out like mana currently. Alrighty, looks like it’s just goblins running towards me right now. And not all of them are actually armed. Perfect, time to restore some mana!’

 

With that thought, I flew towards the goblins with a crazy grin on my face. When I was close enough I used Charge to reach the first goblin faster, and tried to cut his head off without using a skill. Much to my delight I was able to without problems, though his head went flying right away unlike when I use 2-fold.

 

My madding grin widened even further, and I started to go to town. Soon, I was lost in the trance of the slaughter.

 

Dodge here. Slash there. Duck, retaliate with a 2-fold. Dodge again and confuse with my spells in the mix. While my spells didn’t do much, they also didn’t cost much either, so I used them freely.

 

Soon enough there was a small mountain of corpses building, and I was still flying around laughing and murdering goblins. I was knocked out of my trance when my Danger Sense went blaring, causing me to instinctively look towards the cave. And low and behold, there was a hobgoblin mage of all things, casting something.

 

I didn’t have to wait long, as a fireball soon came flying towards me. It was rather slow however, and so I just dodged to the left. I glared at the hobgoblins. Yes, plural. The rest of them were now lined up near the cave entrance.

 

While taking in their gear, and trying to guess their classes, I brought up the quest to see how many goblins I killed in my trance.

 

Quest

~Hunt the filth!~

Wipe out the Goblin village that is to the west of your start point. 

Goblins- 59/64 / HobGoblin- 2/7 / Goblin King 0/1

Reward: One selectable trait for Soul Armour. One level to all Classes.

 

‘Damn that was a lot of goblins. I am only missing five huh? And my mana is back to full capacity.’

 

I was broken out of my thoughts by a yell from one of the hobgoblins who was currently charging at me.

 

???: “Damn you little shit! I will rip off your wings and crush you in the dirt!!”

 

He was followed by three others in his charge. They all seemed to be warrior types, and had more or less the same gear as the others I have seen or killed.

 

Smirking, I held my sword with both hands in a baseball like stance and got ready. With a madding smile, I shouted and swung my sword horizontally.

 

Artoria: “Die!”

 

As I was starting my swing, the caster hobgoblins eyes widened, and he shouted to the others.

 

???: “Get down you fools!!!”

 

But it was too late, with a “voom” like sound, my attack went out. Unlike before, this time my attack was very thin but just as deadly. The flash of red and black light had cut through the four charging hobgoblins like butter, and when it impacted the stone cliff behind them, it produced a mild explosion causing the stone to blow outward in the line.

 

Artoria: “Hahahaha!!”

 

I was laughing at the slaughter I had wrought so easily. Granted, 30% mana is huge, but you can’t argue with the results.

 

As the dust was starting to settle, I heard some coughing. Looking for the source, it seems that the mage was still alive. Not wanting to give him a chance, I Charged.

 

???: “What kind of fairy can do- SHIT!”

 

Unfortunately for me, he was able to block my attack with his staff. Not wanting to give up my momentum, I swung again, but this time I used 2-fold. And like the last time, the attack cut right through his wooden staff, but only left two gashes through his clothes drawing blood.

 

???: “You little shit!”

 

He lost his patience with me, and swung his large (to me) fist at me. Easily dodging the swing, and retaliating with a chop to his wrist I cut off his hand.

 

???: “Fuck! SHIT! How can such a little-”

 

I didn’t give him time to say anything else, as I used 2-fold on his head. Two nice red lines started to draw from right to left. One above and one below his eyes. As I was smiling at his death, I heard someone clapping, a deep laugh, and loud steps coming from the cave.

 

???: “Now, this brings a smile to my face, little Fae. I have never seen such a tiny little thing wipe out so many, in such a short order. I thank you for the entertainment.”

 

Artoria: “Eh? You’re thanking me? Also, I’ve been wondering about this for a while. How come I can understand you, but I can’t understand humans?”

 

???: “Hmm? You don’t know? You must be a new born Fae then? That is even more surprising that you’re this strong. Well, to answer you, it’s simple. Their goddess doesn’t want monsters like us being able to communicate with her grand creations. Or something. Don’t fully know or care about the entire story myself. But that’s neither here nor there.

 

Right now, we have a problem, you and I.”

 

Artoria: “About how I nearly killed off your entire village?”

 

???: “How astute of you little Fae. You see, while it was entertaining to watch such a little thing like you murder everyone, it leaves me in a bit of a bind. What is a king without subjects?”

 

Artoria: “Well, I am not above a bit of regicide. That’ll solve your problem.”

 

He laughed a deep belly laugh at that.

 

???: “My, how amusing. My name is Gripgrut the second. I am named, and a King. Do you truly believe you can match me, little Fae?”

 

Artoria: “I also have a name; Artoria. Big deal? And I won’t know until I try.”

 

As we were talking, I brought up my status and the quest.

 

Name: Artoria Class: Warrior 7 (8%) Seal integrity: 100% Passives: 8 Dexterity: As agile as a cat!
Age: 32 (Appearance 21)  Subclasses: Playful Trickster 7 (8%) Deaths: 4 Vitality: As healthy as an ox! Wisdom: You’re no genius, but you’re not dumb either.
Sex: Female Alignment: neutral -99 Inner Realm level: 1 Strength: Can’t crush rocks with your hands, but you can throw one really, really hard! Magic: A novice, but at least you won’t blow off your own hand!
Race: Grey Fairy Corruption: 0% Skills: 2(+) Defence: As strong as wood! Can’t stop a knife, but can stop a fist. Maybe. Mana: Look look! You got a rather large bucket’s worth here!
Level: 7 (8%) Soul Energy: 600/1000 Spells: 2(+) Resistance: A fireball will still hurt like hell, but at least you won’t die immediately? Quests: 1

Soul Weapon: Excalibur Morgan

Soul Armour: Basic Leather

 

Quest

~Hunt the filth!~

Wipe out the Goblin village that is to the west of your start point. 

Goblins- 59/64 / HobGoblin- 7/7 / Goblin King 0/1

Reward: One selectable trait for Soul Armour. One level to all Classes.

 

Gripgrut: “Oh, you are named? Interesting. Very interesting. I wonder who did that… Well, no matter. Come at me, little Artoria. I will show you the power of a King!”

 

Short chapter, sorry~. Hope you liked it anyway though!

25