Chapter 2: Plans and unexpected meeting
322 8 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Ah, what an amazing way to start a Sunday morning~" Samantha purrs next to me before giving me a gentle kiss on the cheek. "I'm going to make myself some coffee, do you want some?"

 

"Gladly. I'm gonna need it." I reply as I get up. "I hadn't gotten the chance to say it yet, but I really like your room."

 

She let out a cute giggle to hide her cheeks slightly blushing.

"I'm glad you like it. I know it's far from a typical girl's room, after all. What with all the games, posters, and manga around."

 

"Maybe, but it suits you well, Sam." I smile at her to show her how sincere I am.

 

"Thanks. Now, time for some coffee." is all she says before going to the kitchen.

 

After dressing up, I follow her there. Samantha lives in a fairly large flat considering that she is apparently living alone. It has a large bedroom, a bathroom with a bathtub,  and a kitchen and a living room that are separate, and even a balcony. Furthermore, it is near the town center, where most flats are pretty expensive, especially for college students.

 

"How can you afford this place?" I ask as I observe the exterior through the window leading to a small balcony. There are a few plant pots, well-maintained, showing that she took good care of them. I can spot a few of the college buildings in the distance.

 

"Well, I… have my ways… And my parents are helping me." she says as she takes out two cups and turns on the coffee machine. "Do you want some milk or sugar with yours?"

 

"A bit of milk, thanks."

Once I get my coffee, I continue. "How are your parents like?"

 

After a brief pause, she answers, looking away.

"They're… fine, although I'm not sure they'd like the new me very much. Not that they were all that fond of the old me either." 

I can notice the sadness in her tone, even if she tries to hide it behind an awkward chuckle.

 

"I see… I hope they'll come around eventually, and realise how amazing you are."

 

She blushes again, brighter than back in her room.

"Oh, shush, you. I'm already in love with you, no need to flatter me more."

 

"As if you dislike it." I grin at her, gently caressing her hair, which only serves to make her even redder. She is acting a bit more like her old self, which I find adorable. I already loved her before, after all. She may have changed a lot on the surface, but she is still the same deep down.

 

She huddles herself against me, hugging me tightly. "Indeed~ You are the best thing that ever happened to me, Davey."

A few minutes later, she lets go of me and leans against the kitchen counter. "Speaking of parents, how are yours? The brief exchange I had with your mom wasn't enough for me to learn what she's like."

 

"Oh, she's pretty chill. I don't think your look would bother her, she's fairly open-minded, and I know she had a punk phase back when she was younger."

 

"Really? Sounds awesome!" Her eyes are sparkling, she seems to want to meet my mother even more than before. "What about your dad?" 

 

"My dad works a lot, so he's not often home. He's kind, but not really talkative. He's the type to rarely speak unless it's about something that interests him. But if you dare mention wrestling in his presence, be ready for hours of conversations."

 

She chuckles. "Noted. I'll avoid the subject, then. How far do they live from here?"

 

"Not too far. About two hours by train. I usually stay for a week during holidays, but I can shorten my stay if you'd prefer."

 

"Oh no, I'm looking forward to spending some time with my future parents in law." I blush at that, looking away, while she just lets out a cute giggle.

She goes to caress my arm, smiling.

"I'm sure I will love them, Davey."

After a brief pause, she speaks.

"Wanna stay here for today? We can order something to eat and play some games together?" Sam asks, looking at me with expectations.

 

I give her a light kiss and reply.

"I'd love to. But no need to order. I can make us something."

 

"Oh, you know how to cook?"

 

"I'm not a chef, but I know a few things, yeah." I say. 

 

"Hmm, maybe you'd make for a good househusband~" Sam muses, making me blush.

 

"H-haha, maybe…" I sheepishly reply. 

 

After regaining my composure, we go back to her room to play some games until lunch. She is really good at fighting games, despite being more into JRPGs, but I still manage to get more wins than her overall.

 

When lunchtime comes, I look at what Sam has in her fridge, and decide to make some Spaghetti Carbonara.

Sam stays near me, watching me with a tender smile on her face.

 

She grabs two plates from her cupboard and helps prepare the table. She sit and leans towards the pot, closing her eyes to enjoy the scent.

"Hmm, it smells really good~"

 

I sit and serve her first.

"I hope it'll be to your liking."

 

"It will." she confidently say before bringing a fork full to her mouth.

"It is delicious, Davey~"

 

"T-thanks."

 

We spend lunch talking about games we played and shows we watched, and decide to watch some anime during the afternoon. Sam likes a variety of things, from standard shonens to dark seinen and fluffy shojos.

 

Of course, this wonderful day has to end and I part ways with her, returning back to my flat in order for me to get ready for our Monday classes.

 

~~~~~

 

On Monday morning, I meet with Sam in front of the gates of the campus, ready to start our day together.

 

As soon as we take a step towards our building, I notice Sam suddenly turning her head and staring at a woman who is approaching us with a smile on her face. 

She seems to be in her early thirties, her dark hair put into a bun, and she is wearing an elegant beige suit, indicating that she most likely is a professor or a secretary instead of a student.

As soon as her eyes land on the woman, Sam makes a strange expression. I am at least certain it isn't joy.

 

"Good morning, Samantha. And you too… David, was it?" the woman say this last part while observing me from head to toe.

 

"G-good morning." I reply awkwardly.

 

"I'm Marie Durand, it's a pleasure to meet you."

 

Her attention then returns to Sam.

"How are you, Sammy? Enjoying this life of yours so much that you forgot about me? I totally dig this new look, by the way. You make for a hell of a goth girl."

For an older woman, she speaks in a very familiar manner to Sam.

 

Sam grits her teeth. She obviously is uncomfortable around her, but I have no idea why.

"What do you want?" She asks coldly.

 

"Oh my, is this how you greet an old friend?" Marie chuckles. "Or am I not allowed to talk to you while you're with your… boyfriend?"

 

Sam walks closer, her face mere inches away from Marie's, staring right into her eyes. "I know what you're thinking, and I'm warning you. Don't you dare do anything to him."

 

She seems shocked for a brief instant by Sam's tone before smirking.

"Do you truly love him all that much? You swing this way now?"

 

"Swing this way? Is Sam into women too?" Sam never mentioned anything like this before.

 

"And what if I do? Why would it matter to you, professor?" She emphasises this last word, for some reason.

 

Marie takes a step back and make a smile that clearly feels fake.

"You're right, it doesn't matter to me. What students do and who they love is none of my business."

 

"Don't approach him, is that clear?"

 

"Alright, alright. I don't want you to hate me, Sammy. I'll let you have fun with your boyfriend. But if you ever want to catch up and hang out again, here's my number." She gives a visit card to Sam, with her contact infos written on it.

As I first guessed, she is indeed a professor, teaching French literature here.

 

Sam begrudgingly takes the card and shoves it into her bag.

 

"Have a good day, lovebirds~" Marie waves at us and leaves.

 

"W-who is she?" I ask Sam. Only when I turn to face her do I notice her slightly shivering. "W-what's wrong?"

 

She grabs my hand and hold it tightly.

"Don't come near her, David… Promise me…"

 

"I-I promise…" I don't understand why she makes me promise this, but her reaction indicates that it is something important.

 

"I will protect you…" She whispers, still glaring at Marie who is almost out of view by now.

 

"W-we should… go to class…"

 

"We should, yes." is all Sam say.

She doesn't let go of my hand until we finally reach the lecture hall and sit down.

 

~~~~~

 

After this strange meeting with Marie, the rest of the week is thankfully uneventful.

Sam is still on edge, but starts to relax, slowly getting back to her usual self.

 

We cross paths with Marie one more time during this week, in the corridors, but except for a good morning, neither Sam nor her talk to each other.

 

On Friday, I go to the library with Sam to study for our upcoming exams. We sit in a quiet place, on the first floor, and spend our afternoon there.

Sam was really smart, way smarter than me, and she often helps me understand some parts I have trouble with.

 

"One more week before I can finally meet your parents, I'm excited." She says as she stand up and stretches, the fatigue apparent on her face. "I'll go to the bathroom and grab a snack, I'll be back soon."

 

About a minute after Sam left, I see a familiar face walking towards me and sitting in front of me, on the chair Sam was using, a cup of coffee in her hand. She crosses her legs and smiles at me.

 

"What a coincidence, I didn't expect to see you here, David." Marie says, brushing her bangs away from her face. Instead of a bun, she has her hair put into a braided ponytail this time, giving her a slightly younger appearance.

"Studying for the exams, I take?"

 

"Y-yeah… Sam and I want to make sure we get good grades…"

Sam told me to avoid Marie, but I can't do much here until she comes back, so I try to be as courteous as I can.

 

She doesn't say anything at first, just observing me in a strange way while taking sips of her coffee.

"I really don't see what she finds in you. You're fairly… bland." She flatly says.

 

"Huh, excuse me?"

 

She feigns to not notice my annoyance. She instead leans closer to me, her hazel eyes making me feel like they are inspecting my very soul.

"Tell me, did you ever wonder why your Samantha suddenly changed?"

 

"I did, but I decided that it didn't matter. She'll tell me when she's ready, if she feels like telling me someday. All that matters is that she's the woman I love."

I answer while looking her in the eyes, truthfully.

 

At that, she bursts out laughing, nearly spitting out her coffee, before quickly trying to calm herself down, remembering that we were in a library.

"Haha, how naive of you… I wonder how you'd react if you were to learn the truth."

 

I tilt my head, confused.

"What do you mean?"

 

She points her finger at me.

"I mean that someone like her shouldn't be with the likes of you. I know her far better than you do, and only I can truly understand her here." 

 

"Really? Then why can't you understand that I don't want to see you, and especially not near him?" Sam coldly states, appearing behind the corner, her arms crossed. She is glaring at Marie, visibly angry at her.

 

It only serves to make Marie chuckle.

"Come on, relax. I already told you that I don't want you to hate me, I won't do anything to him. He's all yours."

She stands up and approaches Sam, taking a more sorrowful expression.

"I just miss you, you know? We used to be together all the time, but we haven't seen each other since that day."

 

The two of them obviously knew each other for a while, but I have no idea of what their actual relationship is.

 

Sam sighs.

"I'm sorry about this, but I just… needed a break… from everything… Listen, I'll meet you once the exams are over and we'll have a serious talk, just the two of us. Alright?"

 

It seems to be what Marie wanted to hear, as she makes a bright smile and claps her hands together.

"Perfect! I can't wait!"

 

"For now, though, can you leave us alone? We're trying to study, and a professor acting this way towards a student is bound to raise suspicions." Sam adds as she put a can of energy drink and a cereal bar on the table.

 

"Oh, of course. How could I forget? I'll take my leave. Good luck with your exams, you two." Marie says before leaving, still with her bright smile that, unlike during our first meeting, seems more genuine.

 

Sam doesn't say anything, she instead sit and grab a bite of her snack.

 

I wait a minute before speaking to Sam.

"So… May I ask about your relationship?"

 

Sam just looks away.

"She's someone… I've known for a long time."

 

"The way she acts makes me think that she loves you or something." I jokingly comments.

 

She finishes her snack, gritting her teeth, but doesn't reply, her silence being enough of an answer to me.

 

"W-wait… She does?"

 

She weakly nods before looking back at me, a mixture of sorrow and anxiety in her eyes and voice.

"I'm sorry… but for now, I just… want to forget about my past."

 

I gently grabs her hand, flashing her a compassionate smile.

"Okay, I won't pry more, Sam."

"Sam… has a lot of secrets…" 

 

Fortunately for us, Marie does indeed leave us alone until our exams are over. I am confident that they went well, and so is Sam, who was smirking every time she gave back her sheets to the professors.

 

We are chilling at the cafeteria after our last exam, planning our holidays together.

 

"Ah, glad to finally be over with these." Sam says, taking a sip of her coffee. "Now I can enjoy my holidays with you~"

 

We would take the train in two days, on Sunday morning, arriving at my hometown shortly before lunch, where my mom would meet us.

 

I nod and smile.

"My hometown isn't all that big, but it has some nice spots to visit. There's a hill nearby with a really good view over the town, and you can even see the ocean a bit further away. We always went there during the summer with my family."

 

"Wonderful! We need to go to the beach! I'll bring my swimsuit." Sam exclaims, beaming with excitement. "Maybe we can even have a picnic there with your parents?"

 

Seeing her so excited makes me giggle.

"Heh, why not, I'm sure they wouldn't mind."

 

Sam's phone suddenly buzzes, and, as soon as she read the name written on it, she sighs.

"Of course she's already calling… Sorry, David, you'll have to spend the rest of the afternoon without me."

 

"I see. I hope it'll go well with Marie. If you have any problem, don't hesitate to call me."

 

"I appreciate the feeling, but don't worry, I can take care of myself. And besides, Marie would never cause me any harm." Sam says as she stood up, flashing me a reassuring smile.

 

"If you say so. Call me when you're done, alright?" I asks, a bit anxious.

 

"I will. See ya~" She kisses me and leaves, on her way to meet Marie.

 

I sit there, alone, finishing my drink, and hoping for the best.

6