7.3
209 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

7.3

A few hours later.

John’s eyes widened at the mirror that he stood before, unable to believe the amount for detail and how well the suit that was made under 20 minutes felt when he wore it. The dark midnight navy suit fitted him like he was born into it, it complimented his dark eyes and uncommon sable black hair so well, that he almost mistook himself for a different person.

“Nice,” he nodded approvingly.

He moved to adjust his shirt, moved himself in different angles to better examine this side of his that oozed with graceful intensity, reminding of that adamant attitude that he would adopt whenever he had gotten serious in his work back in A’vetheas. Perhaps it was just a short moment, John was reminded of a time where his worries were filled with senseless matters that would never affect his life, about his carefree life in A’vetheas before all of that had happened…

Just as he was about to find himself deep in that line of thought, Gobbert’s voice called to him from beyond the changing room that he was in.

How does it fit on you, John?”

Come out and show us, don’t bother changing back, by the time we get back, the ball will have started!” Randolph shouted in.

Give me a second, I still have my shoes to wear.”

Figured that the clothes fitted him like a glove, John gathered the clothes he wore, slipped on his new pair of matte leather shoes and gaited confidently to where his friends were.

Randolph who wore a maroon tuxedo had his eyes popped wide when he caught a glimpse at John. “Woah dude… That’s insane… I knew with the right clothes you might be as good looking as Scy. But this, it’s beyond what I can ever imagine.”

Scywell gave John a brief nod of acknowledgement while Gobbert had two thumbs sticking up from his fists.

Told you I would make your new buddy here look how he should be looking. Normal clothes don’t suit him that well, he is what we tailors love to have as customers all day long. He is that type of person that should have clothes tailor made for him instead of him buying them, isn’t that right, John?” Warren Barcus, Gobbert’s uncle and the shop owner spoke as he threw his hunk of an arm—which was similar to Gobbert’s—around John.

Tailor made? As long it looks normal and it fits nicely, I really don’t mind it. I mean, I stay inside most of my time anyways…

Looks like someone will be the star of the show tonight aside from our Gobbert huh?” Warren joked, winking an eye at Marianne at the counter.

Uncle Warren… I know my looks, there’s no need to boast—”

Nonsense, you and your brother Gill inherited the best from your father and mother!” Warren immediately released his arm from John. “Looks is not what defines a man, but your attitude! How many people have taken on the responsibility as you, Gobbert? How many of the friends you know outside of the hero’s party put their lives on the line for the empire?”

“…None of them”

Exactly, by simply having the courage to put yourself out for the people you care for is something beyond what anyone would do, not even the nobles who always claim to own many portions of the land that are under the empire’s control have ever been in a battlefield.”

Thanks, uncle.”

Having humility is great, your father would be proud of you, but as Barcuses, it is our pride and joy that we…” while Warren spoke to Gobbert, John sneakily moved to Marianne, Gobbert’s aunt who was by the cashier, and tried to pay for his custom tailored suit. He pulled out the coin pouch that Mera made proceeded to fish out the amount of gold coins he deemed to be fitting of this piece of art that he was wearing.

Magic bags in A’vetheas cost four gold and 5 silvers, but they are magic items… So three should be enough for this, right?

When John placed the golden coins in front of her, Marianne suddenly snapped to her senses from watching her husband and Gobbert’s intimate exchange.

There is no need to pay, keep your coins for something else, John.”

Sorry?”

Anyone that our Gobbert brings to the shop does not need to pay.”

That’s not how things work.”
“It is for us Barcuses.”

I… At the very least, let me pay for the materials.”

You younger kids, always so earnest and upfront when it comes down to things like these. Don’t worry John, the nobles pay us so much that we have more than enough for years to come. This is the least we can do for the three of you for letting Gobbert visit us at this time of the year, I believe you will need it for your Moxnet courses. Save that money for the lucky girl who will share that magical dance with you tonight.”

That’s…” John’s face flushed slightly, his eyes blinked awkwardly. “How’d you know that?”

I was once a student there, and so was my husband, Moxnet is where we met. I still won’t forget that night at the ball where Warren took my hands so softly, that moment I knew, he was… Ah, I didn’t mean to bore you.”

John made a shrug, indicating that he didn’t mind it, “Was the academy back in the day like how it was now?”

Oh no, by the emperor, no. It has progressively gotten harder and harder with each 4-year batches. I have heard from my old classmates that the academy was pushing students more and more. To the point the military might be a better choice, haha.”

Marianne then resumed watching Gobbert and Warren who were chatting happily on the opposite end.

On this cold evening, in this famously owned shop, where many workers worked diligently in their designated workspace, John bore full witness to someone who was content with her life. Though the glint in her eyes spoke of the many hardships she had faced to come this far, the hope that she bore for herself from a long time ago was still there.

The way the lady boss was enjoying herself by just watching her family, seemed so surreal to John, it was though that this lady had achieved something that she had always wanted.

Marianne, if you don’t mind me asking, how do you build your life to this point—”

John! Buddy! Come here!” Randolph’s loud voice called out to him, and John lost the question he had in mind.

What were you trying to say, John? I didn’t quite hear you.”

John paused to think for a second but nothing came to mind, “Ah… I can’t really remember what was I going to say, it’s probably nothing too serious. Thanks again, for the suit,” he thanked before moving to where his fiends were.

What’s up, Randolph?”

Randolph placed a hand on John’s shoulders, “Man, and I thought we were gonna have to go deeper into Registoria for a picture of us in suits. Turns out, Gob’s uncle have his own camera! It’s better than the ones where they need a few days to produce a single piece, it’s a magic camera!”

How’d you get one? Especially since it was a recent invention, the pricing must be ridiculous.” Scywell said to warren Warren who was trying to get the device working.

I have a client who makes magic devices like these for a living, this is just one of their prototypes. Unlike regular magic cameras, this one is able retrace someone’s body shape and the clothing size from just the picture. A tool best fitted for our line of work. Of course, it works just like the ones that the nobles use for portraits if I need it for picture purposes.”

That makes sense when you put it that way,” Scywell nodded.

Well, hopefully it can capture how handsome we look, especially this sweet suit of mine!” Randolph boasted.

Now boys, if all of you would get in front of me. Just stand there…” Warren began to arrange the four of them as how he envisioned them would be standing. “…John a little more to the right, Randolph, don’t make that face, Gobbert don’t move and 3,2,1…”

Flash!

With their photos taken, and printed copies made for each of them by Gobbert’s uncle, the four of them bid their goodbyes to Gobbert’s family before they hurriedly returned to Moxnet academy before the Ball of Paragons began.

Fortunately, the return trip was hassle free and none of them were stalled by any of the security checks, it seems that the empire is more concerned about what would slip into its domains, rather than what might slip out. That, or the soldiers recognized Scywell’s ride and wished not to impose themselves to avoid incurring the hero’s ire.

Before they knew it, four of them already travelled through the long bumpy road, and the main entrance of the academy came to their view. When they four of them stepped off the carriage and thanked the driver for his service and the sun had already started set.

“Looks like we got here just in time,” Gobbert commented.

“Ughh… That means I have to ask someone for a dance now…” Randolph complained as he busied himself to the folder containing their pictures, since they were not completely dry yet, Randolph had been getting impatient.

“You good?” John looked over to Randolph concerned with his friend’s unusual behavior.

“I would be, if they dry a little bit quicker…”

“Just leave them Randy,” Scywell said. “I am still surprised the academy has this many students enrolled… Not all of them are here, it is impressive nonetheless…”

There were many individuals in suits and dresses around the campus, most of them, if not all, had a mixture of excitement and nervousness while they waited for the doors to the ceremony hall located at the north side of the academy to open so that they would have a go at the legend themselves.

It was a relatively calm atmosphere, considering how much excitement was surging throughout the school the last few days, even John who was so busy with the tryout activities was able to make the conclusion how the Ball of Paragons meant for the students. Who knew a simple gossip of supposed ‘legend’ was able to get everyone giddy seeking for love.

Well, I am here because of Evie too… But it doesn’t matter if there is a ball, if she wanted to dance— On second thought, if she did that without the pretext of the ball, I might ask her why she wanted to do so, ahahaha.

Thwip, thwip, thwip.

The sound of the photo paper whipping crackled in the air. Randolph had pulled out his personal portrait and started to run it through the air in attempts to dry the picture quicker.

Randolph, I understand that you are nervous, but could you not put the pictures that we’ve so graciously gotten from Gobbert’s uncle into the great risk of being torn?” Scywell shook his head disapprovingly.

“I just wanted to check if they were done! I need send a picture back or my mom is going to give me an earful.” Randolph then began to assume a high pitched voice “‘Oh Randy, where are my grandkids? Why don’t you go out with our neighbor Suzie, she is a good girl, she helps me out all the time.’ Blah, blah, blah!”

“Pfft!” noises came from John and Gobbert while Randolph mimicked a naggy mother’s pose by tucking a hand on his waist and flicking his wrist at the three of them.

“While I sympathize with your troubles, I can also understand where your mother comes from. It is only natural to worry about those we care about.”

Randolph shrugged and returned to his normal voice, “Whatever you say, man. The pictures should be done in an hour.”

“When they are done, give me two,” John said.

“Ah, for your family right? Don’t worry, you’ll get them the first thing they are done. Well, maybe after I send a few back home first. Speaking of which... There they are.”

In the distance, Angeline and Helen got off from a ride, spotted the four of them and moved towards them. Both girls wore long dresses with similar seamless stitching, with Angeline dressed in pink while Helen in purple, if it weren’t for their association with the hero’s party, they could be mistaken for half-sisters due to how fitting the clothes that was adorn on them.

Helen quickly found herself besides Scywell, her hands instinctively found their way to Scywell’s arm pulling him aside to have a conversation on how they were going to deal with the many females who anticipating a dance with him. It was not long before Helen shot an unwelcoming gaze at them, causing the overly eager girls to flinch away.

That should buy us enough time for a dance,” Helen shook her head tiredly. “Seriously, these girls, the more I see them, the more I get fed up.”

“It happens, since he is a hero afterall,” Angeline comforted Helen, “But besides that, look at all of you guys! It’s like you came straight out of a painting!” Angeline was all smiles when spoke, her face flushed from all the excitement that she had for the event.

“To be fair, none of them approached him, so your Scy is safe, Helen.” Randolph placed the picture he had back into the envelop. “Now if I can say the same for Suzie when I get back to my parents…” he shook his head dejectedly. John and Gobbert could not help but roll their eyes and snicker at Randolph.

“Come on, it’s not that bad. I think.”

“You never met her?” John asked.

Gobbert shrugged his shoulders, “First time any of us heard about it, I do know Randolph wants to join Scy because he thinks it is awesome to befriend him.”

John looked to Angeline for clues, however, that was exactly what she was counting on, as if on cue, she spun on her heels and showed off her pink dress. The frills and silk fluttered lightly in the wind, fully encapsulating how her petite body, her eyes sparkled with great energy as she twirled.

“What do you think? It’s great isn’t it?”

John tried to open his mouth after that little show that Angeline displayed for him but failed to find the words. Luckily Gobbert was quick enough to follow up for him.

“I am sure John thinks it’s beautiful.”

Where did you guys got your suits last minute?” she then sneaked a glance at John who was trying to wrap his head around what just happened.

She twirled around for me, right? Or am I am interpreting that wrong?

John flashed his teeth nervously at Angeline’s stare that was directed more towards him, “We went to Gobbert’s place in Registoria, his uncle tailored it all for us.”

Hah!? Why didn’t you guys bring us? You four could have told us that you were going to visit his family.” Angeline had a betrayed look on her face, and made a distinct frown.

Oh I don’t know Angeline, maybe it’s because you are too eager to order those dresses two weeks early?” Randolph sneered at her. “And now you look like some wedding cake frosting. Heh.”

Hey, that’s not funny” Angeline folded her arms and looked like she was about to slap Randolph, but instead she suddenly spoke in a cocky tone and had her head up high, “Here I was thinking that I wanted to introduce some girls to dance with you later. Apparently, you don’t need my help, Mr brown suit.”

Gobbert scratched the back of his head at Angeline’s words, looking at Randolph’s clothes and spoke, “It’s maroon colored actually, Angeline. If you wanted, I can ask uncle Warrren to make one for you, don’t blame Randolph—"

As if Randolph’s mind finally buffered Angeline’s words to him earlier, his expression finally changed into an excited one, “Wait! Really!? You’ve got me dates!? What are they like!?” Randolph searched furiously at the crowd by the courtyard in hopes to find the said girl.

Nope, not anymore. Since you were being rude.”

Why you…!” Randolph stamped his feet on the ground. His fists balled and ready to swing.

Ahahaha, guys let’s don’t fight.” Gobbert placed himself between the two before anything serious could happen.

Who would fight this clown? He is the one who insulted me, so I did the same back to him, and for what’s worth, I did not waste my precious research time asking around for girls who are willing to dance with you, it was just a harmless snap back.”

Randolph then pointed a finger at Angeline and was about to curse but Gobbert held his friend back with his large arms.

Mmmph! Let…Gmph…Go…”

Thank you Gobbert, for your offer and holding this savage back.” Angeline lifted her skirt graciously. “I am counting on your offer for new clothes someday when I really need it, but this dress is what I need for now. I am sure he would be willing to dance with me if I asked.”

Go ahead, Angeline, his other dance partner is not here yet. Might as well ask him now before the ball starts,” Gobbert gave her a wink and a thumbs up while he tried to stop Randolph from charging at Angeline.

Who’s the guy?” Curious, John asked then glanced around to spot any lone male who was within the vicinity. “Oh, is it that guy that you got paired with during the alchemy workshop? The one who was overly talkative with you?”

In response to him, Angeline gave out a light giggle. “Well, first I tried to invite him to get a suit for the Ball of Paragons, but not only did he forget about it, he implied that he already had a partner for the ball dance during the optional school activities…”

Whew, that means Angeline wasn’t actually twirling for me.

John uncurled his fingers while he counted the things Angeline said, “He sounds like someone proud and cocky, I could swear that guy was a good natured person…”

Angeline sighed, “I know right? The fact he doesn’t even know he is being mean to me is what makes me more frustrated the more I speak to him.”

What does the guy look like again? Sheesh, I can’t remember his face. Was too busy then, mind reminding me?” John looked to Gobbert but his friend shrugged, he then looked towards Angeline the answer.

Let’s see, he has black hair, not too tall, not short either, has dark eyes, is a bit rough on his words… Ah! I think the current deep blue suit that he has looks very good on him.”

Black hair? As far I am aware of, there is no one in this academy has black hair except…” John blinked his eyelids slowly, the gears in his mind rotated as he attempted to think of a guy that Angeline talked to with black hair. “I don’t I know anyone who had black hair like me here, Dezarith is…”

And he finally figured it out. Sigh, how can you be unusually witty but so peculiar at times?”

John took a step back, “Wait, wait, wait! Me!? Angeline, Me?” he stared at her and kept switching his pointer finger between himself and her.

Y-yeah… Glad you noticed, you dolt.” Angeline then bumped him lightly with her elbow. “F-for your info, it’s not that you have charmed me on our first meeting! I-I was just thinking that you are someone who I get along really well, that’s all!”

John’s eyes darted his surroundings attempting to think.

Is that why Evie said that, that I have already made plans with another female?

Since when? Why?” John blurted out, even with Princess Raina, who was infatuated with him until his accursed banishment, it took years for her to even convey that she felt that way to him, directly.

Sure, implying things with one’s actions may be sufficient to convey one’s feelings, but until words are said out loud, it was difficult for John to properly gauge the situation. Because, just like the countless elves he helped and the various words gratitude they had given him, were all but empty gestures.

It was not that he disrespected the Elven Princess’ feelings, nor any of the elves reactions when they found out he used that unusual magic…

But he would be lying that he did not feel contempt towards them when all of them stood silently as he was dragged out of the Elven Tribe.

Since you started to tease me… I don’t know… I liked joking around with you a lot.” Angeline whispered but her attitude suddenly shifted, “But I kind of wished you are more sensible, a little less rude.”

John’s adjusted his confused face at her words and squinted his brows, “Rude? What are you talking about?”

Angeline tucked her brown hair behind her ear. “If you were a gentleman you would have told me you had a partner for the dance when I asked you three days ago… Instead you glossed over it and changed the subject. Your eyes always stare into this invisible void, it’s like you are trying to avoid me or something. I may be a little silly at times but my observation is top notch…” following her confession she made a little pout.

Crap. She knows about Evie…

You don’t have to hide it from me. I know that silver haired girl you are seeing is prettier and better than I am. In the Empire, there isn’t a limit to how many wives a man can have, nor are there for dance partners, so I thought, I might as well try.”

John’s eyes avoided Angeline’s gaze, he turned to Gobbert for him to say something but when the bulky guy saw him he excused himself with a short, “Ah, Scywell is calling for me and Randolph there, let’s go Randolph.”

Mmmph” Randolph nodded in agreement before they left without another word.

This is not what I had in mind… I mean, I suspected something when she bought those charms for the Harvest and invited me to get clothes for the ball. I was too busy thinking about other stuff that it just slipped my mind.

Seeing John’s sudden lack of speech, Angeline placed a hand on her face “…Ahahaha, I must sound very selfish don’t I? I even went as far as declining every guy who wanted to dance with me, because I wanted to show you—”

No, that is not the case! While I don’t mean to lie about it, I didn’t think that you held such a-a—How’d you put it?—Such an admiration for me that you read between the lines so deeply,” he placed a hand on his head. “My point is, no, you are not selfish. And I am willing to dance with you, it’s just a dance isn’t it?”

You-you would?” Angeline tapped her fingers together nervously. “I don’t want to make it seem like you are…you know…dishonoring your promise the you and the other girl had.”

John rolled his eyes at her, “First, you said you would try, but now you are second guessing yourself. Where is the cool-headed Angeline that I know? Haha!”

You rascal, that’s not what I meant. Moxnet have people from all kinds of backgrounds, nobles, commoners, outsiders what have you. Especially among the nobles, there is a thing where they are only allowed to have one partner in ball dances like these. I know since…I am one.”

John’s eyes widened at her confession but quickly shrugged it as a part of Angeline’s excellence, “Well, I am not. And I don’t know a damn thing about being a noble so I guess I will be dancing with two girls tonight. Besides, I think she foresaw this would happen and did not mind if I just had a dance with you.”

I don’t want you to pity me,” Angeline said in a small voice, almost whimpering sadly. “I want you to actually have the desire to hold my hands and share a dance with me…”

I am not!” John immediately retorted. “She did say something like that, I am more or less trying to tell you that. If I am doing this out of pity, I wouldn’t be trying to convince you, or do you rather have me go ‘yes, Angeline’, ‘okay, Angeline’, ‘as you wish, Angeline’ like some mindless golem?”

Angeline giggled at his reasoning, “You are so silly, I really wonder how can you be so reserved and be so cheeky as a person. It’s like you don’t care about anything unless they are important to you huh?”

Well… I just joke around when the person I am speaking to gets it.”

Hmmm… I don’t dislike this side of you. A reserved rascal sounds just about right,” Angeline placed her head on his arm taking advantage of him.

John straightened his back upon Angeline’s touch, his head however had many thoughts to what Angeline said, about him being a reserved and cheeky person, two personality traits that were deemed to be the opposite of the other. He looked to their front, his face became stoic when he pondered about the time he first started to hide his cheerful nature behind a steel face.

It’s not like I do them on purpose… Isn’t it normal to be kind around people you liked?

He knew for a fact that his reserved and cheeky self was not something he developed after his exile from A’vetheas, in fact, he had been like this as long he lived in A’vetheas. He had always kept a distance with people who did not like him, but was very warm towards those who treated him in kind—that is, until he was proven wrong.

Was it before A’vetheas? How did I even become like this?

To be frank, if John could, he rather be a happy go lucky person, he hated to see people suffer for no apparent reason, it bothered him when unexpected misery befall upon others. If he had the power, he would do his best to make this little wish of his come true.

That’s why he allowed Angeline to latch onto him despite having no official intent to start romantic relationship with her. It was, after just harmless fun at the spur of the moment.

It won’t hurt if I give her a chance to dance with me. Besides, don’t people who have arranged marriages start off as strangers and get closer than ever with time? Not going to lie, she is quite cute too.

Angeline then grabbed hold of John’s arm while he made a snobbish face of ignorance. He immediately flinched at her bold action, “H-hey, what are you doing? The dance isn’t now, isn’t it?” John then looked towards the clock that was right above them to check whether the ball had started.

It was supposed to start half an hour ago… It seems like they are having difficulties. You are my dance partner, so I would like to have this charming rascal to myself…”

He let out a soft smile, raising his arms up in the air as a sign of him giving in to her whims for the night, “As long you’re happy, Angeline.”

8