21.0 – Willful Deceit
43 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 21: Willful Deceit

21.0

Dong! Dong! Dong…

 

The great clock resounded greatly in the distance with twelve precise strikes as dark ambience descended upon the city of grim, coveting it in a familiar dread, whisking damned souls into motion.

In the streets of dark, blurred faces and incomprehensible figures loiter about the capitol of Pardlorn. Hushed voices ran rampant as the night fog condensed before the very city.

Pardlorn.

The capital known to many and home to even more. Its occupants composed of the nameless, forgotten and the discarded.

Constant clouds draped themselves above Pardlorn at all times, casting the darkest of shades at the brightest of days. Compared to the rest of the Sovereign, this was the most prosperous and dangerous of them all.

Creatures of the night like dark horses, phantoms, shapeshifters, shadow beings alike, congregated this unnatural site due to accumulation of dark energies.

Energies that defied the natural order of the living.

A power that sought to contort everything that is pure.

People who overstayed in Pardlorn disappeared at an astounding rate on a daily basis. To the point where spilt blood on the streets surpassed the availability of clean water was a common occurrence.

But the most fearsome among them all, were the bloodsuckers whom governed these lands.

 

Vampires.

 

This was the great Vampire Sovereign. It was through their generosity that lowly apparitions of undead had a place among these streets.

So long the undead kept their nefarious shenanigans from vampires of all kind, all were welcomed to partake in the great Sovereign.

Today however, the noise from the city quickly died out as quickly as it surfaced.

For their vampire overlords had gathered in the capitol building.

In unison, the lowly beings kept their silence, patiently waited for the vampires to finish their business, even the most soulless of banshees dared not disturb this peace that washed over Pardlorn.

The sight of the undead abominations self-imposing an unspoken discipline upon themselves in unison was unthinkable let alone unachievable.

Discipline among chaos, life within the dead, respect from the lawless…

Only in Pardlorn, this was achievable.

 

Just like the young vampire who lurked out of the stained window of a building.

 

Like the grand skyscraper that he was in, the city of Pardlorn consisted of arches that pointed towards a singular apex. Sleek in design yet unnaturally elaborate with the various sculpture that were carven into them by the artisan slaves of the vampires back in ancient times.

Great cities like these were common back in the ancient times, Pardlorn was but the last of its remaining kind.

This was where he belonged, this was his purpose, this was where he needed to be and nowhere else. For no greater honor was there than to serve his one and only lord.

 

Ex’car Termezt.

 

The all-powerful vampire whose intellect surpassed all the royal families. This was the great vampire Palter Termzet served.

The vampire who gave everything to Palter, a new life, a purpose, his strength, his identity. It was Ex’car Termezt who brandished his life with profound purpose that surpassed his selfish needs.

 And now, Palter was to be his lord’s aide, to stand amongst vampires just as powerful and influential as Ex’car himself for an adjourned meeting that was supposed to take place months ago.

 

Had it not for his failure…his lord would not had to postpone it until today.

 

Ex’car would have presented themselves to the other families months ago.

For the last Seed of Blood planted in Itzella Harvest was nowhere to be found.

A hundred and six seeds of blood were all that was to be collected by Palter and his two companions, Sozak and Kelgrim. It would mark their graduation from vampire acolytes into fully fledged members of the Termezt family.

For reasons unknown to him, the curse he planted in Itzella Harvest had become undone, there was no known magic in Dezarith Empire that would have undone such a potent curse his lord developed.

Despite his failing, Palter still successfully completed his vampiric trial in his Lord’s eyes. As a matter of fact, Lord Termezt himself could not be any prouder for Palter’s success.

 

Yet…

 

Clack.

 

The door to the dressing room became undone. Alerting Palter to bear his claws as a horrible anger awoken from him, replacing his state of mull into one of unrivaled hostility.

This was a private room.

In this grand tower, Palter had all the right to keep to himself, especially from interruptions from vampires of any kind. Yet, someone, knowingly intruded on his space—

 

“Palter.”

 

The low stoic voice of an intelligent vampire froze Palter where he stood, blood drained from his already pale face, the claws on his fingertips retracted as he went down to his knees.

“My apologies, Lord Termzet, I assumed—”

The vampire in the white suit disappeared from the doorway and reappeared by Palter’s side, holding Palter firmly in his arms before Palter could reach the floor with his knees.

“At ease, my child.”

Ex’car lifted Palter as he gestured towards the door, shutting it with his crimson magic before he continued to speak.

“It is wise to be alert in this place, caution against everyone, including me. It is always, always the correct course of action. The blood of Termezt run strongly in you, but no matter how strong one can be, we are no match against the others should they conspire against us.”

“Yes, my lord.”

Palter’s face was stern, but his heart still fluttered weakly. Had he been more impulsive, he would have launched an assault and disrespected his vampire father.

He had done enough to fail his lord, Palter had to be cautious, for Lord Termezt depended on him.

And if he wished to be by Lord Termezt’s side, he must learn from his master.

“Lord Termezt…” Palter spoke in a small voice, “I was thinking whether if introducing me as your vampire son to the other families would be wise. With your approval, perhaps I would serve you better with my identity concealed from them.”

Ex’car released his arms from Palter, the vampire’s expression did not change but Lord Termezt turned his gaze towards the misty scenery of Pardlorn that Palter had been watching moments ago.

“Do you doubt me, Palter?”

“I-I never!”

Palter’s hands reached to Lord Termezt but halted mid-air before retracting his arm with his head lowered.

“My lord, if I may… I have failed you once. If not for my incompetence, this meeting would have taken place months ago. That is why, to bestow me this honor before the other vampires…”

“Your failure is an opportunity granted to us by His Evergrace, Palter Termezt!!!

Heavy aura descended upon Palter’s shoulders, forcing him on his knees. But instead of crumbling before his master’s power like he would have many months ago, Palter stood with all his muscles tensed, resisting Lord Termezt’s powers on him.

“Ngk.”

 

“You have grown strong, Palter.”

 

Seeing the result of Palter’s training and his transformation after consuming a single vial of his blood, Lord Termezt smiled approvingly.

“I was surprised when you shared the vials of my blood with Kelgrim and Sozak. I was under the impression that you would have taken all three of them on your own to further increase your strength. It seems, even with a single vial of my blood, you are progressing as quickly you would with three vials of my blood.”

Palter lowered his head.

Overcame by the shame for failing Lord Termezt in collecting the Seeds of Blood, Palter distributed Lord Termezt’s blood with his two companions.

Hoping that should he ever be fallen, Sozak and Kelgrim would take his place to serve their lord in his place.

For the Termezt family was the smallest among the royal families. While they make up for it in individual power, discounting himself, there were only 80 other vampires bearing the Termezt name serving Lord Termezt.

Though Palter was Lord Termezt’s favorite, he was by far, the least accomplished amongst the other Termezts.

Ex’car Termezt, however, thought otherwise.

“It is because of your actions, both Sozak and Kelgrim were able to benefit from it. Though…unlike you, they require guidance and more cultivation, I now have two more capable vampires in our family!”

“I do not understand, Lord Termezt.”

Lord Termezt leaned closer to his son’s ear, spoke in a serious but fatherly voice.

“We vampires, are selfish creatures, but this selfishness is capable of undying loyalty if one knows the exploits to it. And you, young Palter, in your guilt of incompetence, have bred me two capable men that I can rely on.

“Such is a feat unthinkable even by the most respected among the royal families. I may have Kelgrim and Sozak’s eternal servitude, but you, my son, have their eternal loyalty. By giving them each a vial of my blood, you have gifted me two treasures that many vampires sought greatly after.”

 

“It is not my intention to usurp you, my lord.”

 

In the Soveriegn, where hierarchy of a vampires meant everything, the hierarchy of a vampire is predetermined at birth and would remain as such for the rest of the vampire’s life. A vampire’s hierarchy dictated a vampire’s power, their status, what they were allowed to do or even who they were even allowed to associate with.

And only in the rarest of occasions would any vampire have their hierarchy raised. Much less rise to the level that is akin to the head of a royal family. But if a vampire lord or lady wished so, they could take in a vampire they fancied and train them until they could hold themselves against vampires of a higher rank.

And only until said vampire gained the vampire lord or lady’s complete trust that they would be allowed to rise in their rank.

Such a process was why many joined the royal families and throwing themselves into a lifetime of servitude. All for the slightest of chance to rise from the lowest ranks.

And when one is granted a vial of their vampire lord’s blood, it would mean regardless of said vampire’s ability, their rank would rise at least by a rank.

 

For the raw power in a vial of pure vampire blood was enough to evolve a lowly vampire into a high ranked one.

 

What Palter did, was turning his master’s trust in him—all three vials’ worth—and distributed it to Sozak and Kelgrim, essentially also allowing his two compatriots to rise in the hierarchy among vampires, turning them into capable vampires worthy for Lord Termezt’s use.

If Palter’s abilities were half of what Lord Termezt’s, Sozak and Kelgrim would be a quarter of Lord Termezt’s.

As the Termezts were small in comparison with the other royal families, it became pivotal that each member was loyal to not only the head of the family, but the whole sect.

Unlike the other vampire families, bearing the Termezt family name was only the beginning. One had to prove their dedication and loyalty to the family Termezt by offering their services and lives to their fellow kin.

“Worry not, Palter, I suspect no such thing. You three were handpicked by myself. For all that is worth, Palter, this opportunity you have given me, is a miracle, if not for your actions, I would not dare fathom the current expedition of our operations.”

A pair of brilliant fangs appeared on Lord Termezt’s face, one conveyed more than blind confidence.

For this was a smile of a vampire who sought to awaken his Evergrace, the ruler of all vampires. The vampire prince that was sealed away from the dawn of the Great Demon War.

 

The one to restore the vampires to their former glory.

 

The Demon Lord of Stagnation.

 

Book4 - The Remembrance of Past

Kicking off Book 4 with the Chapter 20 covering the vampire side of things! This one would be more on flashbacks and what not, dedicated to more worldbuilding and plot building especially since the first Arc is completed with B1 - B3

Not doing a B3 afterword because I have been really, really busy. Also a slight update on the illustrations, I won't be generating art for the time being, albeit tired of looking at AI art at the moment.

Have a great one!!!

1