20.0 – Solace
64 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 20: Solace

20.0

Sweet melodies of folk music and singing reverberated in John’s skull, bringing him awake to his senses, from his right he could hear the crackling of firewood, and from above, a gentle scent of vanilla prompted his nose to twitch.

John opened his eyes.

 

A pair of blue eyes met his.

 

“Hello.”

 

Her silver hair dangling before him as the girl moved her hands to his lush overgrown straight hair, stroking him as though he was an infant.

“Evie…” John closed his eyes, allowing Evie’s dainty hands to comfort him, knowing full well that he was resting atop her lap, John had nothing to worry.

The worst was over.

His agony, the weight he bore, the fears that enchained his heart, they no longer have their hold on him.

For he had consigned his fate.

“How long was I out?” eyes still closed, he nuzzled the back of his head against her soft thighs, a smile can’t help but form around his lips.

“According to Petunia and the others, your fight with Velerion was almost three hours ago.”

John nodded with eyes closed as the scent of food and the warmth of a campfire surrounded the both of them, “What about you? Are you—”

“I…”

John opened his eyes. Before he knew, Evie had placed her damp cheeks against his, her body shaking as she rubbed her face against his.

“Evie…what’s the matter, I…”

“Y-you…came to m-me…John” warm tears dripped from her eyes as it continued to flow down John’s hair. “I-I…thought I would b-break our promise again…”

John moved a hand to the back of Evie’s head and ran his fingers against her scalp, stroking her as she did to him moments ago.

“Again? When did the first happen?” he smiled, “You tried to inform me about the change of plans about the promise given during the ball. You sent me letters, that promise was not broken, I just didn’t receive them. As for today’s promise…I decided I would come to your side. That is all, it’s Velerion’s fault for keeping you here.”

“E-even so…I hurt you back then…I should’ve come to you quicker, I should have contacted you in person…” Evie sobbed, “I-I...thought I would have lost you forever when I... And yet, yet...you still came to me knowing the risks amongst everything.”

“…”

“I’m sorry John. I-I could have done things better…I have the power to prevent things. It’s my fault for letting your life spiral— ”

Firmly, but gently, John placed his hands on Evie’s head and lifted her away from him to make space for him.

Quickly, he got up from her lap and turned to face her.

“I thought you as a clingy girl more than a gentle one,” John flashed a grin. “I never thought you would breakdown at the slightest things.”

“John!” Evie’s face was still filled with tears, “This is no joking matter—”

Interrupting Evie, John pulled her into a hug, with his forehead against her, arms wrapped around her body as he looked downwards.

 

“I know.”

 

Leaning against him for support, Evie’s breathing was heavy, the tears in her eyes had yet to dissipate. But his words were enough to put stop her.

“I know what I said. I know I’ve hurt you. I know you blame yourself for me. But the truth is, all my suffering is of my doing.”

“That certainly is not the case! The reality you lived in was cruel, I saw it with my eyes, I read it in your mind! I would not let you blame yourself, that will be the last thing I do!”

“Perhaps it is, perhaps not. But I very well know, even with my words to push you away, you still came to me in my darkest times, knowing I was beyond the words of anyone, knowing I was beyond anyone’s help but my own.”

John pulled himself away from the hug to look Evie in her eye.

 

“You stayed by my side.”

 

His eyes averted Evie’s, fearing he cannot fulfill her expectations that she had for him.

“Knowing my stubborn self, I highly doubt anything you did can help me... Even then, even then!!!”

John held onto Evie as though the thought of her drifting away from him would consume him,

“I… I still wanted you, I still wished for you to be by side as I was suffering.”

John breathed heavily, he knew these words were insults to Evie who stayed by his side, who kept him alive while he wallowed in his pit of agony. Certainly, she deserved someone better, but John was all that she wanted.

That is why John will no longer shy away from his intent anymore.

No longer would he make the mistakes of his past, his fear would not hold him back, for every moment that he was alive, he had the opportunity to live his fullest, to strive for the things he loved, to uphold the promises he kept.

And starting with Ephinelyth, to the girl who thought of him as the center of her own life, he shall henceforth, accept who he was.

“If what you did for me did get on my feet, I know for certain they guided me to my salvation!

“It was because of you, I knew who I truly am! If not for you, I would not know of what Aurelius wanted to say to me! I would have never left Meastes, I would have never known my past! I would have never faced my fears, I would have never appeared in Courzer! I would have not taken the first step to come to terms with myself… I would have not come to realize what I wanted...how I wanted things to be…”

Evie placed her hands on John’s cheeks, her face, far more endearing, far more vulnerable than John ever saw of her.

“Ephinelyth…I-I…”

“You need not to give me anything. You need not explain, you need not fret.”

Her smile, though still affected by her tender tears from before, was the most brilliant that John had ever seen, her eyes creased upwards as she looked back at him.

“You already are...my all. Being with you is all...I ever wanted...s-since we’ve f-first known...each other.”

 

“I...I…”

 

John struggled to respond to her words, but finally resolving to accept them for what they conveyed to him.

 

“And I shall have you be mine for all of eternity,” his voice no longer shaking and was replaced by an adamant strength.

Evie closed her eyes as she lowered her head to him. John needed no indication, pulled her to his chest as he held Evie dear, sharing his own warmth to her as for the first time since he was banished from A’vetheas, he felt the weight fully lifted his mind as Evie snuggled up to him.

 

The two of them stayed in such an embrace as the sounds and music around them continued, the two of them needed no other words be it in their mind or their mouths to convey what they felt for the other.

 

“Lord Sarvod…”

“Lady Ephinelyth…”

 

The voices from Zondrac and Petunia called to the both of them, bringing John and Evie back to the world.

 

“It is not our intent to disturb the both of you but…”

 

“No, you w-weren’t,” John quickly replied, putting an end to his embrace with Evie with his hands still firmly on Evie’s back.

“We were just going to leave the banquet,” Evie added on.

 

“Leave?” Petunia scrunched her face into a worrisome complexion. “This is no banquet, this is a celebration feast.”

 

John scrunched his brows and looked at Evie. The dragon girl did the same thing.

“With John’s victory against Velerion, the other dragons have used the little time they had and organized this for you two.”

Evie blinked, eyes darted to their surroundings.

All the dragons that showed up today, be it ancient dragons, dragonborns, or even the lower dragons partaking in the abundant amounts of food and drinks laid before them.

Ephinelyth’s eyes suddenly widened as a realization settled in her mind.

Zondrac nodded politely, “This is not just to celebrate the new ruler of dragon kind, but well wishes towards the new ruler and the spouse he has taken.”

“Woah, woah, woah!!!”

John leaped to his feet, his hands moving before him as he tried to get a hold of the situation.

“The new ruler!?” He spat his words in surprise, “I understand the spouse thing…I think…but new ruler?”

John was certain that his proclamation before all dragon kind had something to do with gaining the approval from the other dragons.

He was more than relieved that the other dragons had not used the time he was unconscious and squashed him like a bug and approved him having Evie as his, but becoming their ruler?

“Isn’t that a dragon’s job?” John looked at Evie for an explanation.

“It should be…” Evie, rose to her legs and proceeded  to link arms with John. “Zondrac, why have you kept this from me?”

 

“Papa told you, Lady Ephinelyth!”

 

From behind Zondrac and Petunia, a little girl popped her head and showed herself. It was Mizzy with a plate filled with well roasted marble meat sliced in delicate pieces.

“You were just too busy with your…” Mizzy looked to John as she pondered what she would address him as. Finally, having thought of the appropriate word, she brimmed, “...husband!”

“Mizzy, that’s no way to speak to Lord Sarvod—”

“It’s fine…” John raised a hand as a gentle smile found its way to his cheeks.

The words of the little girl did little to anger him nor flatter.

All he could think of when he saw Mizzy was Meli Harvest, oh what he would give to see little Meli again.

 

Evie squeezed his hand upon sensing fluctuations in his heart.

 

He could feel that anytime now, she would sprout her dragon tail and wrap him around with it just to keep him sane—which he would be more than enjoy it to be frank.

 

“I’m fine,” John assured her telepathically. “I’ve made my peace with them.”

“I wish I could have—

“You have done more than enough. What has happened cannot be undone. It’s alright Evie...it’s alright, like Aurelius, they would have wanted me to move on too.”

 

“After Lord Velerion had took flight with John into the skies, John landed a strike on him, took Lord Velerion out in their fall.”

Petunia who was there to bear witness everything explained.

“As a consequence during the duel, John, your weapon had lodged itself into Velerion’s eye. As of this moment, Velerion is under medical treatment and remains to be unconscious.”

“That’s not good…” John commented, briefly remembering he once used his abilities to rob of the imperial soldiers of their energy with just the contact of skin.

Zondrac spoke, “That is why, according to dragon law, as the victor, John, you have power over Velerion and are deemed the new ruler. The ancient dragons have deemed that would be the most fitting outcome of the duel.”

“The deal was I had with Velerion was not this. I demanded for Evie and your family’s safety, Zondrac…”

“The other dragons have already made sure my family is welcomed. That is why we are still here, not as guests, but because you have deemed us to be of importance to you. They held this feast for you and Lady Ephinelyth. The other dragons have unanimously made you the ruler for your mercy of besting and sparing Velerion’s life in combat.”

 

“No, this is wrong Zondrac, Velerion gave me a handicap, the other dragons are stupid!  I have no need for such responsibility! It isn’t my duty, its Velerion’s!”

 

Zondrac and Petunia nodded in agreement.

“No, certainly not. That is an issue for another day.”

“For now, you two shall feast. I assume many of the dragons would like your attention. Both you and Evie.”

 

“Sigh…”

“Umm…”

John and Evie made uncomfortable noises as they gave each other a look.

 

“Go on!” Petunia pushed the two of towards the crowd of dragons—in humanoid forms.

Right as John was about to say something to Zondrac, the wyvern and his family had already taken their leave and left him and Evie on their own devices.

John could only stare at the dark skies as Zondrac returned to wherever he came from, his hand retracting as he reminded himself to return the favor to the wyvern family for having involved him in all of this.

 

“So…”

Evie was the first to speak, her feet shifted as the other dragon’s eyes were drawn to them.

“What do you fancy having, John?”

“Something filling but won’t stuff me up like a chicken, haha!” John replied with sweat dripping down his forehead.

He too, like Evie, found it very awkward to be in a crowd.

He could sense that any moment now, the others would—

The other dragons must have overheard their conversation, because not a second later, countless of faces began swarming John and Evie as they brought out dishes and dishes of food in order to get in their good graces.

“Oh boy...”

 

“Lord John!”

“Lady Ephinelyth!”

“Please try this dish, I made it…”

“I beg of you, enlighten me on…”

“What drawn the two of you…”

“If you have the time, I would like to invite you over to…”

“Does that mean you are now our leader?”

“What will become of Velerion?”

“Did Lord Kharston and Lady Synthia planned for this…”

“Are you an Elder Dragon too, Lord Sarvod?”

“Where did you grow up? How are…”

“We never thought you would show yourself after your mother’s…”

 

Leaving no room for the two of them to speak in private nor space to enjoy their meal, John and Evie placed their bodies against each other as the other dragons swarmed them in excited vigor. Leaving no choice for John and Evie but to stand awkwardly with forced nods and smiles.

 

Reminded that Ephinelyth would be overwhelmed by the thoughts of others like when she was a child John spoke.

“Evie, the sudden influx of people—”

“I am fine. I have showed you I can control my powers, did I not? Ufufu,” giggling as her arm around his became tighter. “You need not to worry about me. I am a capable girl.”

 

“Let’s quickly have our fill, and…” John spoke to Evie in her mind as he dealt with the oncoming dragons who wished to speak to him.

“Leave here as soon as we can,” Evie agreed, she too was getting countless of questions for her fellow dragons, asking about the minute details of how she and John came to be. “I have many, many things I still wish to say to you… Many, many more things I want to show you...”

“I, for one, want to do more than just hug you,” John admitted as he flashed a cheeky grin at her, knowing the effects was an Evie with pink cheeks a slap to his arm.

 

But his innuendo was only partial. In reality, what he spoke held a stronger conviction behind it.

 

“I want to enjoy my existence with my beautiful dragon to the fullest. The most boring of days, the most suffering of times, the most frustrating of minds, the happiest days, the most meaningful of moments…all of it with you.”

 

“All of me shall be yours, and only yours.”

3