Chapter 2 – Sister
128 8 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Clap, Clap, Clap

The echoing sound of clapping could be heard all throughout the forest. James praised the man with golden-blonde hair by saying, "Nice Defense!"

"You did as well," the man with golden-blonde hair replied

While they wait for the clean-up crew to arrive, the team prepares their equipment. The body of the monster has a high value due to the fact that it can be repurposed into armor, weapons, and vehicles. The objective of the cleanup crew is to harvest the valuable components from the monster corpses that they dissect.

"Thank you for your work," the bald-headed leader said to the team.

I already painfully knew their "Thank you for your work" would never be directed at me. '

Caesar smiled and thought, 'They are awaken and I am just a normal person.'

"Hey! old man. Do you not want to get paid? "How long are you going to act like a child? " The man with golden-blonde hair yelled angrily.

James spoke up and told Michael, "Let him rest a little bit."

The woman, who appeared to be in her twenties and had brown hair that was quite long, responded by saying, "Right, being a bait for the monster is not an easy thing to do."

"What exactly are you going on about?" It is still expected of him to complete the tasks that have been assigned to him." 

The bald-headed leader simply said, "Leave him alone." There were also other people working there."

The cleanup crew had already arrived and was hard at work dissecting the corpse of the monster one piece at a time before carefully placing it in a large cooling container.

Michael grunted, "You got lucky." If it wasn't for them, I would've fired you on the spot. "

Caesar could do nothing but stand there and was completely incapable of uttering even a single word in response. Caesar was known for verbal abuse because he was subjected to it on a regular basis from the awakened. The majority of awakened people look down on non-awakened individuals who engage in monster hunting because they believe it devalues their chosen line of work.

As Caesar looked at the sky above him, he chuckled and remarked, "Haha... It's not easy to earn money these days."

***

in a spacious room that is decorated with trophies, medals, and even Grade B monsters' heads. This was the bald man's office, where he worked as a team leader when hunting and as a manager when not hunting.

The leader with a bald head handed Caesar an envelope full of cash and said, "Here is your payment." 

Caesar eagerly accepted the money, but he couldn't show it, so he simply counted the piles of bills in the envelope calmly

Is my life only worth $1,200? Caesar sighed, but he knew that being a monster bait was frowned upon in the business, and their income was only $1000. The reason he got $1,200 was only because the leader was very generous.

"You did well today." And you don't have to worry about what Michael said." The leader smiled at Caesar and said,

"Nono, I don't mind at all, so don't worry." Caesar replied.

"That's fantastic if that's the case. Michael's tone of voice was getting on my nerves. He is not disciplined. " The boss chuckled.

***

18 years ago, Disasters have suddenly hit all over the world. A gate has been twisted open in space, and countless monsters have appeared from that gate. Along with the monsters, people who had awakened their abilities started to emerge, and they began hunting the monsters. The ability is awakened in people regardless of their ethnicity, age, and gender. So...

As Caesar makes his way toward the parking lot, he spots an old but well-kept scoppy that has been painted a pale blue. Since the emergence of monsters, Caesar's trusty steed has seen him through every adventure. 

Michael and his friend were standing idly, and the moment Michael saw Caesar, he sneered, "Look, look, there is a dumbass who dreams the impossible." "Can anyone even become a musician these days?" 

Often, people like that are also awakened with an ability.

Michael, age 20, was just a typical delinquent, but after awakening a few months ago, he is making a name for himself. 

"Hmph. So what if he graduated from college? It's all about having the ability these days, isn't it? " Michael said.

"Well, that's true," his friend replied.

"Someone I know told me people have no right to dream if they are not privileged."

This time his friend wasn't having any of it and remarked, "People have no right to be dreaming unless privileged." How did those words spew out from your dumbass brain?" 

Caesar just got into his trusty scoppy and drove away, 'It's just as they said-I dreamt of being a musician, and I studied music. I learned to compose, and I learned to play the piano.

I graduated from a good college, and I was also active in many indie bands to build my portfolio for auditions.

Caesar looked at the road in front of him that was filled with people walking down the side street even though there had been cases of gates randomly appearing in the city.

'As a result, the 28-year-old me is here right now. $1,200 payout per day. '4 times per month as a random replaceable employee.'

'I am covered in bruises from running and falling just like today. If anything breaks, I will be out of work for a whole month. '

'If I die, The End'

***

"It's painful doing this work, but I don't have a choice." Caesar sighed as he walked down the long corridor of patient rooms at Cleaverland Medical Center.

A rapid unconscious state was one of the symptoms that many people around the world experienced after the gate opened. Falling unconscious for unknown reasons, technically alive but with no chance of waking up.

Having arrived at one of the patient rooms, Caesar opened the doors and said, "Sis, I am here."

'My sister fell victim to this disease a year ago. That's why I have to do this job even if my life is on the line. '

I can't give up on my sister because of money.

Sis will wake up someday. Some day...

Without a doubt,

12