Chapter 15
445 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Disclaimer: If you recognise it, surprise, I don't own it.

 

Chapter 15– Should I Become a Marine? 

 


 

*Yawn*

 

I let out a yawn as I finally returned to the land of the living, and I blearily opened my eyes while shading them, fully expecting to see the bright sun shining down at me and not wanting to go blind from the might of the sun. Except, there is no sun, just a shoddy half, broken wood roof. There is no sand against my back. Instead, my back feels the springs jotting out of my ratty mattress. There is no loud snoring accompanying my rise, only the soft creaking of my home, so fragile that even the wind threatens to blow it away.

 

I move my arm away since it is unnecessary, with no sun shining down on me, and I lie there for a moment in thought, just staring up blankly at the wooden roof. It is just such a sudden difference, and I have yet to get used to it, and I am feeling pretty purposeless. Finally, I sit up and swing around to let my legs hang off of the bed before hopping off, my bare feet landing on the coarse wood that constitutes the floor of my home.

 

I am no longer on the sunny beaches of Troga, training from morning to midnight. Instead, I am home, back in my run-down shack on this isolated beach on the outskirts of Shokuyasi Village, which is part of the Conami Islands. We had only gotten back yesterday, and straight away, Garp had left on urgent business, some guy named Shanks with red hair having stolen a devil fruit, which just happens actually to fricking exist, and the entire population of an island being murdered.

 

The revelation that Devil Fruits exist, mystical fruits you can eat that grant you bizarre and weird powers that some people say are demonic, which I believe since it is literally in the name, it blows my mind. But I can worry about that mystical mumbo jumbo later because right now, my mind is heavily preoccupied with the fact every single living person on Minion Island was just killed, and the Marines couldn't do anything to protect it.

 

All of the newspapers I read while trying to gather information and figure out this world I now live life in, they never showed such a black mark on the Marine's records in all the time I was reading, making me think this world is actually pretty safe even if there are some legends about the Pirate King and One Piece floating about. I thought the Marines were strong and that they were the end all be all, protecting islands all over the world.

 

Every single island usually has a marine base in town ready to smack the shit out of any would-be pirates, and if it weren't possible to have one on the land itself, they would sometimes spread out and make a base on the water or some nearby empty island. Suffice it to say the Marines are very prepared for any incoming pirates, with constant eyes on the sea, but that didn't matter in this instance.

 

An entire island was massacred, the population wholly eradicated, and the Marines couldn't do a thing, and either way I think about it, that scares me. Either the people that did it were so stealthy and sneaky that they snuck right by the Marines, and they massacred the island with no one being alerted, which is horrifying to think about. 

 

And the other alternative is just as equally terrifying because they might have actually been seen by the Marines or reported, and yet they still massacred the island proving the Marines were no match for them. And the worst-case scenario I can think of is perhaps the Marines had a base near the island and were alerted. Still, by the time they arrived, everyone was already dead, the people responsible having killed them in such a short period of time and left.

 

*Slap*

 

"STOP BEING AN IDIOT, DETORO!!" I clap my hands hard against my cheeks to bring me a shock and jolt me out of this fugue I had found myself in so that I could stop thinking about that messed-up incident. There is no point in dwelling on such a thing. No matter how or why it happened, the fact remains that it does. And if it could happen to Minion Island, then it could happen to the Conami Islands, which is something I won't let happen. And if there is one thing that is clear from the fact that this incident came to pass, it is that the Marines are not as reliable as reported in the newspapers.

 

Sure, there are marines like Garp out there, there must be, and they are incredibly powerful. But Garp himself just spent months slacking off and wasting his time, so much so that he was even willing to train a random kid like me so that he didn't have to go back to work. If all the other strong marines are like him, and they are just as wacky and weird, then I cannot rely on them at all, and the regular marines are all pretty much just cannon fodder.

 

The faces of all those villagers run through my mind, the nagging lady that wanted the secrets to my tan, the friendly fisherman calling out to me, the old man at the bookstore who gave me a discount on that book, even all those kids that tried to bully me because they couldn't understand me. Mummy Mee and Daddy Dee. They could all just as quickly be culled like those people on Minion Island. No, I can't trust the Marines to protect this island. I can only trust my own two fists.

 

"YOSHAAAA!" I slap my hands against my cheeks again and let out a yell, hyping myself up. I promptly ran straight and barged right out of the door, startling George, who was sleeping on the sand outside. He jumps and begins to scoot backwards, scraping his back against the sand beneath him, frightened by my sudden entrance.

 

"GEORGE, THIS IS NO TIME FOR LAZING ABOUT. I AM ALL FIRED UP, SO LET'S GET TO TRAINING!!" I roar, unable to contain my sheer enthusiasm that seems to baffle George.

 

"Gebu?" George mumbles, confused.

 

"Huh. You thought we were going to relax now that Garp was gone? NO WAY, WE ARE GOING TO TRAIN EVEN HARDER NOW BECAUSE HE IS GONE. WE ARE GOING TO KICK IT UP A NOTCH, FROM DUSK TILL DAWN, RAIN OR SHINE!!" I shout, keeping my energy going and refuting George's claim. He thought that since Garp was gone, we weren't going to be doing any more training and to be honest, I was going to relax on that, but then I found out about Devil Fruits and Minion Island and realised I couldn't afford to relax.

 

"G-Gah!?" George stutters, pulling another reason not to start training right now, having just woken up.

 

"Breakfast? Forget about that. I will go and collect all that money I have built up at Mummy Mee's and treat ourselves to a meal. I will buy you yours and bring it back for you to eat, so shut up already and LET'S PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT!!" I won't slack off like Garp, not now that I know what is out there. Strange mystical fruits that can apparently grant any power you can imagine up, capabilities that make no sense, and people out there capable of slaughtering entire islands. I am ramping up my training to another level, and I need to prepare for all that.

 

"Now, get ready, George. Because we are going to do all the same stuff we did on the island, and there is no one around to bother us. And we are going to go way further than we ever did on Troga, and we are not going to stop till I physically can't get up anymore." I should have saved up quite a bit with Mummy Mee while I was away. I can just keep using that and the amount I get every month to provide for myself and keep training every day.

 

"Geh..." George mutters forlornly, resigned to his fate.

 


 

My body is aching and sore all over, and right now, that is the best feeling I can ask for since it means that my body is getting stronger. And right now, I am on the way to the orphanage to pick up all the money that has been stacking up with Mummy Mee while I was away and use some of it to treat myself to a nice meaty meal and buy some food for George as well, maybe some exotic fruits. He deserves it, after all.

 

Since Garp was a big part of my training, with him gone, I needed someone to fill in his position, and Geroge was the only one on hand, and I don't really have anybody else. And George certainly does deserve a reward. I would say he worked up quite a sweat helping me, and he is just as tired as me. 

 

I followed the exact order of training Garp usually had me follow, which meant, first, it was a good deal of dodge training. Of course, I did not have Garp pelting those rolled-up cracker packets at me this time, so I decided to go all in, and I told George to throw stones at me instead. I did my utmost best to dodge, utterly afraid of just how much the rocks would hurt because just those empty cracker packets really hurt. 

 

Which is why I am surprised by just how much the stone didn't hurt when it finally hit me, and I realised that somehow Garp's throws hurt more, and these stones are not going to do the same damage. And that is a problem because if it doesn't do as much damage, then I won't be as motivated to dodge, so I told George to throw the stones with all his might, and I had to block any that would hit my head.

 

We then go on to the next exercise, which is pretty similar as it still relies on Geroge throwing stones at me, which is the one where I have to stay in a circle and dodge the rocks. For this one, I drew out a deep line in the sand to make a circle to stand in, and it was smaller than the one I would use on Troga. After that, George started to pelt the rocks at me in all sorts of sporadic directions, forcing me to contort and move my body to dodge. I accumulated a few injuries on this one.

 

And finally, we did the last stone-throwing exercise, and this one was by far the most dangerous since I would just be staying still and letting Geroge hit me with the stones. Of course, I didn't want him to overdo it, so we started off with a low level of strength and slowly increased it until we reached the same intensity that Garp was throwing the cracker packets at me and maintained that strength. In an exercise as dangerous as this one, I was not willing to risk messing up, and so I just continued to do what Garp said and focused on tensing up my whole body to resist the attacks.

 

Then we did the strength training, and I had George source a wide variety of different-sized boulders from the beach and forests. First, of course, I had to entice him with food, and so I peeled some of the fruits we still had from Troga while he did so. And then I had a large number of weights to choose from, and I decided on a boulder slightly bigger than the one Garp had me training with, and George held it loosely above me and let me hold it up, Geroge staying there to just spot me if it proved too much.

 

After that, we played games of tag, with George coming at me with his all since I promised to peel a fruit every time he caught me, and by that, I mean punched me. The giant gorilla was motivated to catch me as soon as possible to get those fruits, and I said if he managed to do it five times in a row, then I would finish this exercise and move on to the next one, which would be much less tiring for him.

 

The reason Geroge wanted to move on to the next exercise so much is that this one needed absolutely no input from him, and he could take a break. In fact, he was done for the day since I could do the rest of the exercises myself. This one was the kicking training, where I tried to kick as much as possible in the blink of an eye, like kicking multiple times in the span of time it would regularly take to do one. 

 

And I was doing it on the sand as well, which took an extra measure of control and precision, but this was what I was doing on Troga, and I wanted to step it up a notch. And so I fetched as many stones as I possibly could and put them all inside two different small bags, which I knotted tightly and then secured to my legs, making them heavier. It certainly made it harder for me to kick as fast and as precisely as I was before, which means I can improve.

 

And then it was on to the final training of the day, and the one that hurt the most, but since Garp told me to do it, then I am going to do it, and I am pretty sure it is this training that made his fingers strong enough to shoot right through trees and leave a whole in them. So I definitely wanted to get this down pat because that is an awesome move. Just imagine using all the fingers to shoot forward and make eight different holes in something. Maybe I can take it a step further and make it ten using the thumbs as well.

 

For this exercise, I continually battered my hands against the trees of the forest, and I was at the part of the process where I was using the area between the second joint in my fingers and the tips of my fingers, where the nail on my fingers was. Of course, I couldn't just go straight into that, so I warmed up by first using the area between my knuckle and the first joint of my finger, and then I used the space between the first and second joints before I finally transitioned onto the last one. And it truly hurt like hell, but this is what Garp told me to do, so I stuck at it, only stopping when blood started to leak out from under my fingernails.

 

When all was said and done, the sun had passed its peak in the skies and was starting to make its descent, and my body was bruised and sore all over. I found it hard to lift my body at all, my legs feeling like heavy concrete and my arms feeling like wet noodles, and all I want to do is get back inside my house and go to sleep. But, alas, I made a promise to Geroge to go pick him up some fresh fruits from town, and I was pretty hungry as well, and I was not about to start cooking for myself.

 

And so I resignedly picked myself up from where I was spread out on the sand and started my trek to the orphanage where I would pick up my built-up money and go to the village to get a meal for myself and something for George.

 

Just one step at a time, all the way into the village, and up the hill, to the orphanage, that is all. Well, no pain, no gain. I can only get stronger.

 


 

*Knock* *Knock* *Knock*

 

"Yes, come in." I hear after knocking on the door, the same door I knocked on all those months ago before I was suddenly told to leave the orphanage. I had just walked all the way to the orphanage, and I just simply walked in through the front doors, no one really paying me any attention, and I walked straight up to Mummy Mee and Daddy Dee's office. However, it is really Mummy Mee's office since she takes care of most of the organisation and managerial tasks while Daddy Dee spends most of his time taking care of the children.

 

I gently opened the door and walked inside slowly, careful not to make any exaggerated movements which would make my body burn even more from stress. Looking inside, I can see Mummy Mee sitting behind her desk, writing on some papers, presumably doing some paperwork. She is so focused on her work that she doesn't even look up or talk to whoever just entered the room, instead waiting for me to start the chatting.

 

"Mummy Mee, I am back," I say, walking further into the room, leaving the door open behind me since I plan to do this quickly and get my money quickly before walking back out to go get some food since my stomach is rumbling. At my words, her head shoots up, and her eyes lock on to me, and then as fast as the wind, she bolts up and zips around her desk, kicking up the papers on her desk, to close in on me and pull me into a tight hug that hurts a lot.

 

Seemingly realising her own actions, which do not suit her normal behaviour, usually behaving as the tough persona while Daddy Dee was the affectionate one, she pulled back out of the hug. She straightens out her outfit before pinning me with an intense glare, making me awkwardly shift under her restricting stare.

 

"You silly boy, where have you been? You said you were only going to be gone a couple of weeks, but it has been months. I was sick to death, fearing the worst." Her harsh words ring out, a starch difference from her last act. The affectionate woman that just held me a moment ago was nowhere to be seen, but I could sense a hint of her care in her words. She tries to act like a strict woman for the sake of all the children, but she is genuinely kind and cares for each of them, including me.

 

"Sorry, Mummy, but there was nothing I could do about it. The ship I was on had some problems collecting the merchandise to sell from their suppliers, so I had to spend quite a lot of time on a few islands. I would have told you if I could, but I have no idea how to." So I say, easily ignoring having to call her mummy. It was weird at first since we were all orphans here, and the two people looking after us both had their first names as mummy and daddy, but I got used to it. It was their name; after all, I am not actually calling her my mother.

 

"Fine then, I suppose there is nothing you could do about it. But next time, prepare properly instead of just shooting off one morning. Well, I am glad to see you, Detoro-Kun, but I am quite busy right now. The marine captain from the nearby base is coming to check up on behalf of the World Government, which is the sponsor of this orphanage. So is there something that you need? Otherwise, I have a lot of paperwork to do, and you will have to leave before the marine captain arrives." So she says, and she must be really harried if she is trying to get rid of me. She would not usually o this, so this upcoming meeting must be important.

 

"Ah, well, you know how my job was unpaid work so that I could get work experience on a ship. Well, I have just returned yesterday, and I have no money. So I just came by to pick up the monthly stipends that you have been saving up for me while I was gone." So I say, awkwardly scratching the back of my head since it seems like I was just coming up here to get my money and nothing else, which I was. Quite a lot should have stacked up by now, considering the time I was gone, at least ฿20,000.

 

"Of course, Detoro-Kun. Here you are, ฿30,000. You were gone for nine weeks, and the new month just started." She says, walking back around to her desk and opening her desk drawer before bringing out a big fat stack of cash. My ฿30,000, which she goes to hand over, and I quickly reach out to take it, my hands grasping the money and-

 

"My my, that is a large amount of money to be giving to a child, Mummy Mee. How much did you say it was, thirty thousand? That is quite a lot, chi chi chi." Then, I hear a high-pitched annoying voice call out behind me, and I turn around to see just who has such an annoying laugh. My hand pulls the cash from Mummy Mee's frozen hand as I turn around, and I am confused by the person I see.

 

"Who the hell are you?" I ask, my polite tone completely disappearing since I am no longer talking to Mummy Mee, someone I actually like. Instead, I am now talking to a slim, dark-haired man with a solid mouse-like appearance. His eyes are narrowed, which I think is just how his eyes are, while his facial hair consists of a thin goatee and six long, wire-like whiskers on his upper lip, like a mouse. Just looking at him, I am rubbed the wrong way. I don't get a good feeling from this man.

 

Surprisingly the man appears o be a marine though his Marine uniform is heavily customised and different from all the others I have seen. Even Garp's wasn't this customised, and I am sure Garp is way higher than whatever rank this mouse guy is. He has clearly gone for a theme here and has gone way overboard on it. He wears the standard cap converted into a mouse-eared cowl, connected to a buttoned-up greatcoat that reaches to his feet, accessorised with a belt and blue epaulettes, and his coat carries a blueish-grey colour.

 

"Have some respect, brat. You are talking to Captain Nezumi, the captain of the 16th branch of the East Blue. Now explain what is going on here. I was just coming here for our meeting Mummy Mee, but I cannot overlook you handing over such a large amount of money to a child." The calm persona he had disappears for one second at my words, and he barks back before becoming quiet again and questioning Mummy Mee. I really don't like this guy. All the Marines I have met so far have been just great. Even when I shouted, swore and made fun of them, they didn't get bothered by it, but this guy got angry over a few words.

 

"Ah, Captain Nezumi, you are early. Well, Detoro-Kun here was away for a few weeks working for free on a ship, and I have been saving up his monthly stipend for him while he was gone. So I am just giving it to him now." Mummy Mee quickly says, and I am shocked to see that the strong woman I usually see has suddenly become a bit subdued.

 

"A stipend? Chi chi chi. Why would a child living under your care need a stipend? It would be best if you were using the money to provide all he needs. Chi chi chi." Captain Nezumi asks, and I defer to letting Mummy Mee handle this. I don't think he is the type of person to listen to a kid, even if my reasoning is sound.

 

"Ah, well, Detoro-Kun no longer lives at the orphanage. And he needs the-"

 

"If the boy does not live at the orphanage anymore, then he no longer gets the money given by the World Government, chi chi chi. So from now on, all the money sent for this boy, you will no longer give to him. Instead, I will come to collect it and give it to the people that it should actually be going to, chi chi chi. Including this!" Captain Nezumi suddenly lunges forward and rips the cash in my hand from my grasp, too quick for me to react. I clearly see him coming, his speed slows in comparison to the things Garp used to throw at me, but my body is so beat up and tired that I can do nothing to evade him.

 

"HEY! THAT IS MINE, YOU STUPID MOUS- UAGGGH!!" I immediately lunged for my cash, staving off the pain, but again I was too tired to react as Captain Nezumi slammed his foot into my stomach, forcing me to my hands and knees. Again, the attack wasn't anything I hadn't experienced way harder before, but my whole body was a big bruise, and the pain was too much.

 

"You have been taking advantage of The World Government, Mummy Mee, taking money that could be used elsewhere for someone The World Government is not responsible for, chi chi chi. If I were ever to see anything like this again, then I would have this orphanage shut down. Now, have a good day, chi chi chi." Saying so, the asshole turns around and walks out of the room with my cash in his hand. I look up to Mummy Mee, who simply looks resigned, and I am suddenly struck with the realisation that Garp and his crew are not the standards of the Marines. They are outliers. 

 

I want to get up and go after that piece of shit, but with that last threat he made, I can't. If I do, he will shut down the orphanage, and Mummy Mee and Daddy Dee love this orphanage. I never before thought a marine could be so insidious, incompetent, yes, but not so evil.

 

I- I don't think I will ever be a marine if these are the types of people I would be forced to work with.

 

Fuck being a marine.

13