Chapter 19
465 9 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Disclaimer: If you recognise it, surprise, I don't own it.

 

Chapter 19– Inevitability.

 


 

Looking back at my home and island for the last time, I feel a whole host of emotions that I can't quite quantify or put into words. So I look away, determined to be back someday soon to free all the villagers. Then, with resolve burning in my heart, I grab the oar and thrust it down into the water, and I push myself further off into the sea. And then I switch sides and push the boat forward and then the other.

 

I continue to paddle slowly, but my home behind me still beckons. So I continue to paddle, but I turn around so that I am rowing backwards to look at the island, which I am entirely leaving for the first time in four years, and the first time ever I am doing so alone. Every time I had left the shores of my home, I have always been accompanied, like on the fishing boats where I was joined by other fishermen, and when I went to Troga with Garp.

 

This is the first time I am setting out on my own, truly alone, and I don't know what is out there. It is a bit scary, but so what? Setting out to sea, isn't this what I always wanted? To have a journey? Though I didn't think it would be in these circumstances. Shaking myself from these thoughts, I focus back on rowing, ready to watch my island slowly sink out of view as I travel out onto the ocean.

 

Hmm, that is weird. Now that I think about it, I have been rowing all this time, but my rowboat hasn't really moved that much. I was too caught up in my own thoughts to notice, but even though I had been paddling, my boat hadn't gone anywhere and was still relatively close to the shore.

 

I turn around to see what could be delaying me when I spot a tiny fin poking out of the sea right in front of my boat. Seeing what is causing the problem, I temporarily put down the oar in the boat and move forward towards the small fin. But, unfortunately, it seemed I had rowed out too suddenly, and I had caught a fish of some kind underneath my boat, and I was still too close to the mainland. So the fish is stuck between my boat and the sand beneath the water, keeping my boat from moving no matter how much I paddle.

 

"Stupid bloody fish..." I mutter out as I move towards it, I was having a real emotional moment right there, and you ruined it. I was hardening my resolve and anything, coming to terms with setting out to see on my own with nothing to depend on except my own body, and you ruined it.

 

Wanting to just get going as soon as possible, I look down at the fin poking out of the water. It must be a big sucker because I am quite a bit out from the shore, so it has to be big to impede my boat's movement like this. Since it is stuck, then I will just have to free it and stop it from barricading my path.

 

Reaching down, I grab hold of the meaty bluefin and try to use it to yank it out from underneath the boat, but it doesn't budge in the slightest. What kind of fish is this? It is big and heavy, and it has this weird thick fin thing sticking out the top of its head. Oh well, I have seen more bizarre animals and fish before. With the number of strange things I have seen, this really doesn't phase me.

 

Since yanking on the fin alone isn't working, then I have to use two hands, and I need another point of leverage. So, tightening my grasp upon the fin with one hand, I reach my other down into to the water and start to feel around for something of the fish to latch onto and use to drag it out and move it away. Fumbling around, my hands brush against scaly skin as I search around for something to grab, and eventually, I feel something long and hard.

 

Feeling around it is very long and with many prominent ridges, ending in sharp pointy ends. They will definitely cut if I whammed my hand against it, but not if I get a proper grip. So, grabbing hold of the ridge thing attached to the fish, I use it and my hold on the fin to yank the fish out. And it is working, as it starts t rise out of the water. And as it does, the water begins to pour off of it, and I get a good look at it.

 

Blue rough skin. A black hat-shaped sort of thing covering its head and shadowing its eyes. Surprisingly human-like ears, although they are blue. The thing I am holding onto appears to be its long sawtooth-like nose. And the fin I was holding onto was coming out of its wide neck, though I have let go of the now as the fish seems to have been let free and is rising of its own will. It has a wide mouth with sharp teeth and a long chin.

 

It wears a green scarf around its robust neck, underneath which there is a black trench coat it wears around its shoulders. Though the coat is left open to show the blue muscled torso, and on the left side of its chest, there seems to be some sort of a tattoo, that is shaped like a... sun.

 

...Fishes don't have tattoos, right? My thought goes unanswered as this thing rises out of the water to a height where my hand can no longer reach its nose, and I realise I was never pulling on it in the first place. I look down at the water from which it is rising, where I can not even see its legs yet, and it has risen to be much taller than me now. Though what I do see is its arm reaching out to reveal a big blue human-like hand that's fingers are connected by a thin skin. And that webbed hand is resting on the front of my boat, impeding its path and making it completely stationary.

 

I take a step back and then look back up at whatever this thing is, and then I can properly see its face without it being hidden under a shadow and without all the water. Its eyes are looking down at me, narrowed and angry. But what scares me, even more is the feeling behind them, the sheer disgust and disdain for me in those eyes that want nothing more than to make me suffer and tear me to shreds.

 

"Thought you could run from Fishmen into the seas, stupid human?"

 

"Wha-"

 

*WHAM*

 

I am suddenly flying through the air with my old boat underneath, and I don't even know what happened. I wasn't hit or anything. I would have felt that. The boat that I was on was unexpectedly thrown like it didn't weigh anything by whoever it was that I just had the displeasure of meeting, and since I was on it, I was thrown as well.

 

"AGgh," I grunt as my back collides with the ground, the boat falling on top of me and shattering into multiple pieces, the debris hitting me as well and giving me a few scratches and splinters. Thankfully the boat was old and seemed to have weakened over time, so it broke pretty easily. Still, it hurt, and I mean emotionally as well as physically. That was the first working thing I ever made, and it has just been destroyed on the second time it has ever been used. Shit, now is not the time to be thinking about that.

 

I quickly get up and scramble to my feet, turning to face the ocean to see the same Fishman that just through me walking up onto the shore out of the sea. I know the attacking pirates were Fishmen, but I didn't think they would be... Fishmen. I was expecting something along the lines of Aquaman, you know? A man with gills, maybe some other fish features but predominantly human looking. Not actual fish people, who are entirely different colours and all fish-looking.

 

"This island is now under the Arlong pirates, and no one leaves." The Fishman speaks as he walks out of the sea and onto the sand, and I can see some other fishmen rising from the ocean behind him. They are... like the creature pirate things in Pirates of the Caribbean, the members of Davy Jones's crew that had all become part of the ship and therefore, they all became part of the sea. Except these guys are less disgusting, slimy and weird, though they look to be just as menacing.

 

"Now, the new rules are fifty thousand for children and one hundred thousand for adults. So... where is your family, kid? They have to cough up or die," The sawtooth who threw me speaks. Obviously, the leader and the others all defer to him.

 

"I don't have a family, and I don't have the money to pay you," I say as I settle into a stance, my hands by my side, ready to fight though I don't like my odds with the amount of them rising from the sea. But I will give as good as I get and take a few of them down with me if I have to, I wanted to avoid this, but now I will just have to deal with the cards I am dealt.

 

"Is that so? Hm, well, let's go check if there is anyone willing to pay for you before we get rid of you. Don't want to miss out on fifty thousand. Kurobi, Chew, Hachi, what do you think about this place?" The Fishman just ignores me completely, not even paying attention to my fighting stance and my blatant defiance. He doesn't even have any qualms with killing but is more upset at the idea of losing the fifty thousand I would provide for him.

 

"Um, Hachi isn't here, Arlong. You told him to bring the girl with us, so he is running here instead of swimming because the girl can't breathe underwater." So a Fishman with massive lips says to the aptly named Arlong. The guy is named Arlong, and the group is called the Arlong Pirates, real original. It seems that they have kidnapped a girl for some reason, which is worrying.

 

"Tch, pathetic humans. Well, what do you two think about building Arlong park here? Once we get rid of this house." The captain of the Arlong Pirates says, threatening the existence of my home. And for something as stupidly called Arlong Park, again, real original.

 

"That is my house," I said staunchly. It remains unsaid that I will not let them destroy it. After all the hard work I put into it, I absolutely refuse to let some uppity assholes come in and tear it down for some stupid park.

 

"Your house. You little BRAT! You said you don't have any money! Do you think lying is going to stop us from getting what we want?" Arlong threatens, walking towards me menacingly, his crew following after him and moving to surround me. I stay in the same spot, adamant about not letting them push me, but things are not looking good for me.

 

"I spent all my money on materials, so I could build it," I say, trying my hardest to stay calm and project that out as well. I don't want the pirate captain to think I have family or something and drive him to hunt them down because he will likely pinpoint Mummy Mee and Daddy Dee. But, I can't help the trepidation in my heart as these ferocious pirates all train their eyes on me, with sharp teeth and deadly-looking appendages at the ready.

 

"You built it. SHAHAHAHAHA! LOOKS LIKE THERE ARE A BUNCH OF TALENTED MULES ON THIS ISLAND FOR US TO USE!" He roars with laughter, and his crew join him. I stay still as they all continue to walk further inland because I really don't know what to do, and I am faced with insurmountable odds. If I make a stand now, then I will die facing these nine fishmen and maybe take a couple of them out, but that would leave the rest of the village to the tender mercies of the angry survivors.

 

"Follow, brat, you work for us now and will be building stuff for us along with the rest of the workers. Now, let's go to the village, men." Arlong says, not paying any attention to my defiance, and I let my hands drop as he walks towards me, not showing any more fight. I am stubborn and maybe even a little prideful, but I am not stupid. This is a bad situation, and nothing will come from me fighting and dying a meaningless death. It is better to live another day than to give it all up now and help no one.

 

All the villagers have enough to pay for this month, and I have twenty thousand berries at home, and I am sure that the villagers can scrape together the remaining thirty thousand berries to pay my fee for this month no matter how much I don't like the idea of that. So, with us all getting through this day alive and the Fishmen paid for the month, I will wait for the perfect opportunity and strike.

 

I wait for the right day when they are all spread out and then take them out one by one, assassinating them and killing them off without any risk to the villagers. I dislike the idea of being so sneaky and taking these guys out without even giving them a chance to fight back, but the villagers' lives matter more, and these guys are attacking our way of life.

 

"YOU LITTLE SHIT! STOP IGNORING ME!" I am brought out of my thoughts by a big blue hand coming towards me and grabbing roughly onto my shoulder, shaking me. I was so lost in my thoughts and plans that I didn't move out of the way or listen to Arlong, and now he is gripping me.

 

"A-ah. Okay, I will-" *ROAAAR* I was trying to calm the situation and resolve the problem, but I was interrupted by a piercing roar that suddenly rang out in the clearing. I quickly start to look around, wondering which Fishman let out such a bestial roar. I look left and right, but I don't see anything, and even the fishmen look a little confused. But that is when I remembered that they said another Fishman was travelling on land with a hostage, a little girl, and he must have...I quickly turn around to look towards the village, ready to run there as soon as possible to protect the villagers and-

 

"GRUAAAAGH!" I hear that all-familiar sound behind me, but this time it is so deafening and filled with anger, and I spin back around to-

 

A spurt of something hits me in the face as something else is thrown high up into the sky, spinning, but I can't quite see with whatever it is that is on my face, so I try to remove it. I hurriedly wipe my face with both hands so that I can get my vision back, did one of these guys spit ink at me or something, like an octopus Fishman?

 

Finally clearing my eyes, I drag my hands down my face and then look at them to see that they... are red. I stare, shocked for a moment, before lifting my head up to see the end of a black pole pointing towards my face, with sharp broad swords jutting out on one side of the black rod. The handle is like the handle of a katana, and it rests in the hand of Arlong, who wields the monstrosity of a weapon. But the most eye-catching thing about the sword is the red liquid slathering over its blades.

 

...Did I overestimate myself? That is blood that is on the word, just like there is on my hands and face... Is it mine? Was I cut down just like that, and I haven't even realised it yet? Has he cut my face up, and blood spurted out from there? What is going o-?

 

Something drops from the sky and lands roughly on the sandy beach, tumbling forwards to rest at my feet. Confused, I look down at it slowly and-

 

.

.

.

.

.

 

"...George?" His lifeless eyes stare back up at me, empty. His head resting on the sandy beaches, and I notice his body crumpled on the ground near Arlongs feet.

 

"GEEEEOOOOOORRGE!" I drop to my knees and go to touch him, but then I stop. I can't... I just can't touch him. I want to grab him, hold him and make sure that this is fake, that this is an illusion. But I know if I pick his head up, then I will lift it with ease because it is no longer attached to his body... I can't. I can't stop the tears from coming out.

 

"SHAHAHAHA! STUPID ANIMAL! Did you see that the stupid thing rushed out of the forest and tried to attack me? Shahahah. We fishmen are ten times as strong as humans. So no stupid weak ape is going to even hurt my pinky! SHAHAHAHAH" Arlong laughs, and his crew all laugh with him. Finding George funny...

 

I feel something rising from the very depths of my soul.

 

My best friend, who stuck by me all this time even if he didn't do much to help out. But he did. He did so much for me. He was there for me, no matter what. Even when I didn't have much food or money, and people weren't trusting me with any jobs, he stuck with me and didn't run off to live a better life in the forest and steal from Bellemere's orchard. He was lazy, dumb and funny. But he helped me when I needed it. With my jobs, with making my house, with my training, he never said no. He was my best friend.

 

It is powerful, unstoppable, and, most of all, vengeful.

 

"HAHAHAHAH!" And these... BASTARDS! ARE LAUGHING AT HIM! MAKING FUN OF HIM!

 

It is like pure vitriol running through my veins, along my bones and into every cell of my body. And it wants out, this rage, this anger, it wants to rush out and enforce itself on the world, on these pirates.

 

"SHAHAHAHA!" ARLONG! THESE FISHERMEN PIRATE PIECES OF SHIT! I WILL KILL THEM! KILL THEM ALL!

 

It bursts free.

 

"AGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

 


 

The sound of sobs wakes me up, the sniffling and cries assaulting my ears. I crack my eyes open, confused and look around to find myself in a room that has only a little light coming in through the window, which is covered by a curtain. My body rested on the rough hardwood floor, so I was not at my house because the floors of my house were smooth and clean. I spent a long time cutting down trees in the surrounding forest, and then George and I carried them... George...He's-

 

"Y-You..? Y-You're awake?" A quiet voice calls out, and I quickly turn around to find a young girl, around ten years of age, with orange hair.

 

"...What happened?" I ask, confused about how I came to be here and just what is going on.

 

"A-A-Arlong came and threw you in here. T-The fishmen were all arguing about you... S-Some of them wanted to kill you..." She reveals, confusing me further though I have worked out who this girl is. She is the one they kidnapped, who was supposed to be with a Fishman called Hachi.

 

I get up off the floor and start to walk towards the door of the house, determined to find these bastards and figure out how everyone in the village is right now. I am a little confused why they would want to possibly kill me since they were going to force me to work for them earlier, but I don't care about that.

 

"W-Wait! Where are you going? Answer me!" The girl cried behind me, and though I wanted to just ignore her and get on with my only goal right now, I answered her.

 

"I am going find Arlong and all the other fishmen. And then I am going to kill them." So I say, not stopping my steps as I continue on towards the door. The last thing I remember is seeing... seeing George... And then I felt a rush of feelings that overwhelmed me, rage being the predominant emotion which I still feel even now, and then I shouted, and something burst out of me. And then everything went black, and I awoke here.

 

But that doesn't change anything. I don't care what happened, or why they would kill me or even why they kidnapped the little girl behind me. I don't care about anything but making them suffer and die, so I am going to find them and kill them all.

 

"WAIT! STOP, YOU WILL DIE!" The girl shouts urgently, and I don't know why but my feet stall, and I am unable to take another step. For some reason, my body refuses to move. Am I a coward? Does the threat of death cow me into submission so easily? NO. I am not afraid to die, I already have died once before, and I know what comes after, and I do not fear it. The only thing I fear is what comes before death, and that is life, and I will not live a life in fear and pain.

 

I feel that strange feeling again and that powerful urge deep inside but not to the point of bursting. And I take a step forward. It hurts, it hurts to move, and I don't know why, and I don't care either. So I take a step forward despite the pain, that feeling deep inside supporting me and lifting me up, making me able to take on anything and keep going.

 

"PLEASE, STOP! DON'T LEAVE! YOU WILL DIE LIKE... like Bellemere..." Her words made me stop again, shocked to hear that familiar name. That crude lady that always sold me and George tangerines, even though George stole a lot from her. Is she dead?

 

"Who are you? How do you know Bellemere-San?" I say, stopping my path and turning around to look at the girl again. I start to walk towards her, paying more attention this time. She is approximately ten years old, with orange hair, and brown eyes, wearing a white dress with thick green outlines and straps that button over her shoulders, along with some brown sandals. There are a few bruises on her, and the skin around her eyes is red and blotchy. She has been crying immensely.

 

"I-I am Nami. Bellemere was my mother..." So that cranky woman had a kid, I would have never thought it given her less than motherly attitude, but I suppose she was never that friendly to us after the tangerine incident.

 

"Well, don't worry, Nami. I will avenge Bellemere-San. I am going to kill every last one of those pirates." I tell her, wanting to reassure her. But instead of the reaction I expected, she springs up and starts to shout at me.

 

"YOU CAN'T. THEY WILL KILL YOU. AND IF YOU DO KILL ONE OF THEM, THEN THEY WILL KILL YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE AS WELL. I HAVE MADE A DEAL WITH ARLONG. IF I CAN GET ONE MILLION BERRIES, THEN HE WILL FREE THE VILLAGE AND LEAVE. SO YOU CAN'T LEAVE, YOU WILL DAMN EVERYONE!" She roars with determination, nothing like the little girl that was crying in the corner a second ago.

 

"I will not kill one of them. I will kill all of them. Or I will die trying. They will not harm the villagers because then that would be less money for them. So I would be the only one to die." So I tell her, and then I try to move and leave again, but my body refuses to listen to me. I can't move towards the door no matter what, so I stop trying to walk to the door and just focus on moving, wondering if the fishmen poisoned me or something. But I then move perfectly fine, but the moment I decide to walk towards the door and leave, I freeze and can't walk.

 

"NO! NO ONE ELSE HAS TO DIE! STOP BEING SELFISH! DON'T TRY TO DIE! STAY ALIVE! STAY HERE!" She shouts, tears leaking from her eyes. And to my shock, my body becomes able to move again, but I know for a fact that my body will stop if I try to leave this room... No... She ordered me, and I listened whether I wanted to or not.

 

Fuck...

 

She is the one... The one who I have imprinted on...

 

The condition has come into effect...

 

[AN: I can already hear a lot of rage because of this, but this was never wish fulfilment. I want to make this like a proper one-piece origin story. Like Luffy had Foosha village, Bluejam and Sabo. So this is the way it is going, and the imprint thing is not as bad as it may seem, so chill out and wait to see what happens next]

 


 

Thank you to my Hero Patron Cory A Cinquini.

 

Thank you to my Superhero Patrons, Marcus Lane, אוהד דולינסקי, Hunayn Abbas and Steve Resendez. Thank you for all your support.

 

Thank you to my Legendary Hero patrons Haha93 and M. Thank you for your immense support.

 

Thank you to my Galactic Hero Patrons James Feazell, Luis Barreda, Orest, Spoder man, Clocker, 2Bizzy, Wilder, Jeffrey Iverson, Surge1301, Tariq Syed and Master Vlogi. Thank you for your extraordinary support.

 

Thank you all for your support, I truly appreciate it.

 

If any of you have any questions, suggestions or want to chat about the stories then hit me up on either Pat reon or Discord.

 

I currently have three regular fics active, and I now update each of them in turn every 5 days.

 

It starts with From The Smoke, then moves on to The Will of Gill, and finally Amarillo's Pirate Adventure.

 

I also have a Pat reon that is currently at least 10 chapters ahead of schedule.

 

You can read my next chapter three days ahead of time for $2.

 

You can read the next chapter of all three fics for $5.

 

For $10, you can read the next two chapters of two of my fics, as well as one chapter from the remaining one, before the general public.

 

For $20, you can get the next three chapters of all three fics.

 

Finally, for $30 you get access to all chapters as soon as they are complete. Please keep in mind that there is no guarantee that this is above the definite nine chapters of the above tier.

 

My discord: /AY7vBWMN to discuss the fics and hang out.

 

My Pat reon: reon com/ DragonField (no spaces and a dot before the com) for anybody who wants to read up to and maybe even past the next three chapters of all my fanfics.

 

That is all for now. I hope you enjoyed the chapter. I will see you in the next one!

 

Stay safe and have fun!

16