Volume 1: A Fated Encounter?
20 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Shi Hai alighted out of the car as the wind greeted him. This early morning with the sun rising in the east made Shi Hai emotional.

"Why?"

Shi Hai's lips slightly quivered.

After that day, a lot of things happened, and Shi Hai's life made a drastic change. His important people that he thought to be at his side left him. His mother, school friends, and relatives thought of him as a monster.

But never did he ever assume that the individual responsible for his interrogation stood at his side and cared for a forlorn like him.

Qiao Hao, the interrogator of the crime a year ago, filtered a cigarette between his lips and lit it with a lighter. As the smoke surged up into the air, he breathed and said, “Not every one that kills is a bad person. Some were made by the world to act that way. I'm not omnipotent but if I have the authority, I'd lend them a hand and show them that the world can be beautiful sometimes.”

“That's why kid, I'm giving it to you.”

Shi Hai lowered his head and softly responded: “Are you not afraid of the opposite result of what you wanted?”

“I do hope that you won't disappoint me. However, I'm certain that you're someone worthy of my trust. After all, this is what you wanted — A new beginning.”

"So you've read that...huh." Shi Hai wryly smiled.

"I even brought it with me. Here look." Qiao Hao pulled a worn-looking book out of his jacket and spread it in front.

Shi Hai chuckled at himself. The book was his diary. It recorded all of his sufferings, pent-up emotions, and memories that he rather not reminisce again. 

"You don't need this anymore." Qiao Hao set the book ablaze with the lighter and threw it down the canal. 

Shi Hai did nothing. He merely glanced at the diary as it slowly floated away until it disappeared from his sight. Those memories...it was better to forget them.

"Actually, you need not do this for my sake. I was doing fine in the detention center," Shi Hai turned and looked at the gates. In the front yard of Sunrise Orphanage, a group of children was playing amongst themselves. A female caretaker stood next to them.

For the past year, Shi Hai was staying in the detention center.

“But this place is much better, don't you agree?”

Qiao Hao patted the boy and pulled out another notebook. He slammed it into the boy's chest and laughed. "A new beginning requires a new diary...come let's go in."

Shi Hai looked at the thin notebook in his hand and raised his head to stare at the man.

He felt somewhat weird because...he was seeing a hand in front of him.

Was it an illusion?

Shi Hai lowered his head and looked at the book. How many years had it been since he received a gift?

The last time was his shredded teddy bear that unfortunately disappeared after that incident.

Thank you, Sir Hao. You know nothing how thankful I am...

Shi Hai kept the book inside his jacket and took a deep breath.

As he took a step forward, a hand seemed to pull him out of the ocean, and his breath seemed not that heavy anymore.

Shi Hai halted and turned around. He seemed to envision a figure identical to him, albeit somewhat dark and lonely, drowning in the ocean. He smiled, turned around, and ran towards Qiao Hao.

As the rays reached the dark figure behind Shi Hai, they started scattering into fragments...

...until nothing remained.


"You must be Shi Hai. Nice to meet you."

The female caretaker was Qiao Hao's youngest sister. She was called Qiao Ling, a 20-year-old kind young woman who was fond of taking care of unfortunate children.

Qiao Ling had heard about Shi Hai's story through the diary that his eldest brother, Qiao Hao, had let her read. After reading the diary, she was filled with mixed feelings of sadness and dislike, for how unfortunate the child's life was and how he had killed a person that was his father.

After deliberation, Qiao Ling finally decided that this boy still had the chance to walk on the right path. She swore that he would guide him to that land where he finally understood the feeling of light.

Unfortunately, her enthusiastic greeting was met with an expressionless nod from the boy. She minded nothing and thought it was fine. Thus, her mood remained cheerful and bright as she said. “Little brother, please be at ease at your stay here, your new home. Everyone here is nice and accommodating. Sunrise Orphanage, after all, treats everyone, regardless of the past or identity, equally.”

Young lady, you're mistaken... everywhere is just the same place...Of course, Shi Hai had not said that out and responded. “I understand.”

“Okay, you two should get along with one another. Kid, I only hope that you'd stay true to yourself and find your way up. This is how far I can help you.” Qiao Hao caressed the boy's hair and said, “But if it's you, I'm sure you'd find it eventually.”

Qiao Hao left after having a chat with the headmaster of Sunrise Orphanage.

Shi Hai bowed respectfully as the police car took off.

This surprised Qiao Ling for how respectful the boy was toward her cheap brother.


Suns rose in the morning and set in the evening, and just like this a month soon passed.

Shi Hai's stay did not bring any controversy or rumours flying around. It was still the same and usual Sunrise Orphanage whose purpose was to guide children for betterment.

Some children had approached or chatted with Shi Hai, but not a single one of them became his friend.

Shi Hai knew the reason. In spite of the fact that Qiao Hao had given him the opportunity to start a new life, the trauma that he had built through the years cannot be easily ignored.

Thus, it would take some time before Shi Hai could open up to somebody.

But as a kind girl, Qiao Ling, unfortunately, could not understand Shi Hai. She tried everything for him to fit in and have fun with others but the boy was not fond of activity.

All the time, Qiao Ling only saw Shi Hai sleeping near the tree or the garden without any intention to form bonds with others.

"Sister Xingyue is back!”

One fine morning, a black limousine appeared at the gates of Sunrise Orphanage. Its appearance caused commotion among children, as they scrambled at the front of the gate.

The limousine stopped near the gates and then a chauffeur came out and opened the front door with elegance and a respectful attitude.

After the door was opened, a beautiful girl that seemed to be around 16 years old stepped out of the car. She was wearing a lavender dress, which fitted her thin and petite frame. Her natural beauty enchanted the onlookers and soon the children surrounded her like a goddess.

The beautiful girl greeted the children one by one. She occasionally smiled and laughed together with them.

Qiao Ling glanced at Shi Hai standing by her side and explained: “She's Ming Xingyue. The daughter of Ming Family's patriarch, one of Beijing's wealthiest clans. She's the niece of our orphanage headmaster.”

“But I did not ask.” At her side, Shi Hai nonchalantly responded.

“Little brother, stop lying. You were looking seriously. You had fallen, don't you?” Qiao Ling grinned as she teased the boy.

That's nonsense. Shi Hai remained silent. He for sure could not fathom why boys fell for girls at first glance.

Because he felt nothing when he saw women for the first time, let alone this girl.

Love at first sight?

That's not quite right.

That's lust.

If this girl wasn't blessed with beauty would men even care?

Shi Hai soon lost interest in the girl. He had learnt from others that an important visitor would arrive today so it made him interested. He had already satisfied his curiosity. Thus, he left the area.

“Big sister Ling!” Ming Xingyue greeted Qiao Ling with a bright smile. Then she watched the youth depart as she curiously asked. “I've never seen him before. Is he new here?”

“Yes. He is called Shi Hai." Qiao Ling pouted and said. “He's here for about a month now; the day after your last visit.”

Ming Xingyue had a good relationship with her aunt. Thus, she visited her every month.

”He seems unapproachable and unfriendly too.” Ming Xingyue had long noticed the youth because he was the only one that did not greet her.

”He's around your age too though he's a bit cold. Of course, that's because of his past.” Qiao Ling sighed and looked at Ming Xingyue. “The headmaster is waiting for you. We should not let her wait for long.”

"Yes, let's go in.”


Evening. The sky was already darkening and the sun slowly but steadily turned murky.

Ming Xingyue wandered around the garden as she usually does. She liked the view of the setting sun and the cold wind at this hour, so she was fond of walking around in this area.

She looked around and found a tree on the corner. She sat there and opened the book that she was holding in her hand. After reading it for a while, she stood up and thought, ‘I should go to that spot.’

Then, she continued her stroll.

“It's him.”

Ming Xingyue halted and stared ahead of her. A boy was resting next to a tree with his hands behind his head.

She frowned and hesitated for a minute. However, she decided to walk toward him and cleared her throat. This was her usual reading spot so Ming Xingyue did not want to forget about it just because someone was occupying it.

After all, there was a large space around the tree.

“mmm...” Shi Hai yawned as he was awoken from the call. He turned his head and noticed a girl standing at his side. He was a little sleepy so he could not determine who the girl was. He merely said. “What is it?”

“Can I sit beside you?”

The girl was polite. Thus, Shi Hai also politely responded with, “Go ahead”, and closed his eyes once more.

Ming Xingyue did not mind the casual manner of the youth and sat down. She did not exude any bearings of that wealthy young lady and sat there as she soundlessly read the book in her hand. She was soon engrossed with it.

Meanwhile, Shi Hai was awoken a minute after and yawned. As he sat up, he noticed that it was the niece of the headmaster that was sitting next to him!

“I was so stupid.”

Shi Hai stood up and did not disturb the girl. He was about to walk away when he noticed the title of the book.

Immortal World’

It was rather an unusual naming sense. As far as he knew, immortals are people that could live everlasting life.

Bound with curiosity, Shi Hai peeked through the book. Soon, he was fascinated with the world on it.

There were many terminologies such as Cultivation and Spiritual Energy mentioned in the book that he did not understand, but the story was nevertheless an interesting one.

When the moon rose in the west, Ming Xingyue snapped out and noticed it was already dark. She closed the book and stood up.

“No, don't.”

She heard a cry beside her. Startled, she took half a step but then noticed it was the guy that was next to her. “...I'm sorry?”

“Sorry for scaring you,” Shi Hai apologized and said. “It's just that book is quite interesting in my opinion.”

“Really?”

Shi Hai nodded. “I haven't heard of it. Is that an online novel? I've been hearing about it a few years back but did not really bother reading them.”

“Is that so?” Ming Xingyue rubbed the book and said. “This is a xianxia novel. Immortal World is a rather popular book. It's a tale about a mortal's journey towards immortality.”

“Is that what it meant by Cultivation? That means a mortal can become immortal?”

“Yes and... ...”

Ming Xingyue explained the concept of cultivation towards Shi Hai. While explaining, she was engrossed and seemed enthusiastic. Soon, the two of them became friends as they talked.

“That's right. Your name is?” 

“Shi Hai.”

Ming Xingyue nodded and said. “Take this book and read it. I only brought the first volume with me so you might look for it online. Once you read this novel, I'm sure you'd find it interesting.”

“Like cultivation is an interesting concept. Cultivators can decide their fate and not be bound to others. It'd be fun to live in such a world. Unfortunately, it's only a realm of fantasy.” As she said that, Ming Xingyue softly muttered and then shook her head. She stretched out her hand and handed the book to Shi Hai.

Shi Hai was relatively interested in the book so he accepted it outright.

What Shi Hai did not know was that accepting this book would change the course of his life forever.

1