The Worst Job Ever
136 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
This is a story written in the POV of a System. The same kind as in LitRPG novels and transmigration novels. There may or may not be a sub-plot romance for our MC, the System, but that hasn't been decided yet. I pondered a lot about the LitRPG genre tag before pasting it on, but if you accidentally wandered in because of that tag, I apologize.

If there are any spelling mistakes or plotholes, feel free to comment. Thank you.

 

"I've had enough of this! You can't just transfer me to another section after I spent 5 decades in the fantasy sector! Besides, I get lower pay per hour, overtime practically every day, and nothing to show for it? Give me back my hopes and dreams!" I yelled. "Fuck you! Fuck this company!" 

"I QUIT!" 

Is what I dream to say if I ever had the balls. Sadly, my actual conversation with my boss went more like this:

"No, for the last time, you may not change divisions." My new boss said irritably.

"But-" I tried to mumble.

"A newbie shouldn't go around protesting." He sighed. "Young people nowadays."

Okay, now that was rude. I wasn't a newbie. Yes, I was young, that part was true, but around fifty years had passed since I entered the company. To call me a veteran would be an exaggeration, but you couldn't call me a newbie. My pride was a bit dented by that statement. I felt offended.

Of course, my new boss either had no idea I felt upset, or didn't care about that fact. He glanced at me, then looked back at the paper in his hand. He raised his eyebrows. "You've never done any entertainment work before?" he said to himself. "Hmm. An Alchemy major? I should have known... Why did you even decide to come to our company?" 

I blushed. "That's personal," I defended myself, "And it's not even relevant now. I'm already accepted into the company. I passed the interview, and I have all the credentials."

My boss glanced at the paper once more, making a mocking grin. Foul discriminating pig. I already disliked him. He just had to bring up my major doesn't he? Not like that's relevant right now. If only to get away from him, I wished I was back at my old division.

"Anyway, the fantasy sector is full now." He continued. "You can't come back even if you want to. The higher ups completely re-vamped the company, so the system is completely different now. A lot of people even got fired due to the changes. At least you can continue to work here. Be glad you still have a job."

"Besides, our quick transmigration sector isn't bad. You'll be promoted from assistant to world management." My boss added. "You'll also get higher pay corresponding to your seniority." 

My nonexistent seniority, yes. Of course, that would be soooo helpful. I stopped myself from rolling my eyes. Oh my god, I really wanted to punch him. "The increase in pay is nothing compared to the amount of increased work on my table." I said slowly, trying to keep my temper under control. "And it doesn't have to be the fantasy division, but I would still prefer a division dealing with finite worlds since I am not yet very experienced-"

My boss humphed, interrupting me. "You'll be fine. You'll just have to live with it. Workers nowadays have such weak mentalities, complaining whenever they need to put in some extra work. Why, back in my day..."

And he was at it again. I started to zone out the rest of the speech. I nodded and pretended to listen to the shit he was saying while my thoughts went all over the place. No, girl, assaulting your boss on the first day after transfer is not something you'll want on your record. Keep calm, keep calm. Quitting was looking more attractive by the minute. And then maybe I could get into a better company, one with higher pay and better work hours... and no shitty bosses... if only. I laughed inwardly.

I couldn't quit. I couldn't afford to.

"Got it?" My boss ended his speech with a satisfied smirk. "You may now take your leave."

I nodded, swallowing the bile in the back of my throat, suppressing the tears and anger that threatened to come out and embarrass me. I don't even remember how I got back from work, clutching the papers I would need to go through my new job, teetering left and right, trying not to pretend my hopes and dreams were just shattered.

Hey, girl. It's okay. If you do really well for a couple of centuries, who knows? Maybe you'll be promoted, or even better, transferred to the fantasy sector again. Or if you quit, you'll at the very least have a splendid resume. You just need to hold on. Keep it in and pretend nothing happened.

 ...

What a rotten day.


 

"So that's why you're back home so early?" Jonathan said sarcastically. "I thought you'd been fired or something."

"Says the couch potato who's not even employed." I retorted as I flipped through the papers I had been given. It was complicated enough to give me a migraine, but I held on. Why were there so many papers in the first place? Everything was digital nowadays. Was it specifically to annoy me?

Jonathan huffed at my statement. I glanced towards him to see that his hands were hovering over a game. "I'm studying. Obviously I'm not stupid enough to randomly choose my job like you did."

"Studying? At several centuries old?" I mercilessly cut him off. "Stop playing games and grow up."

"Children, children." I looked up from my pile of papers- I had barely gotten through the top layer-to see my mother hovering over us. She wasn't smiling. 

"Sorry, Mother." Jonathan grumbled.

"Yeah, go back to your room and do your job, Johnnie." I said. 

"Soriel?"

I sighed, "Yes, Mother."

Mother's eyes looked concerned. I squirmed uncomfortably in my seat. I'd forgotten how she could see through me like that. "Soriel, you don't seem like yourself today." She said softly. "Is everything alright?"

I shrugged. There was nothing to say. I failed to convince my boss, that was all.

I tried not to make eye contact with her, but Mother's gaze was strong and impossible to avoid. My expression must have conveyed something it shouldn't. The atmosphere became heavy, which made me frown. I didn't like turning the mood sour. Mother hesitated, as if she wanted to say something but was holding back.

"I'm fine, I'm fine." I waved it off. "It's nothing. I'm... going back to my room." My voice shook a little at the end, but I hoped Mother didn't notice. She probably did.

It was quiet as I fled.

3