The First Task
51 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Old models matter. I slammed down on the printer, annoyed, watching it splutter and die. It spat out a floppy blank sheet of paper before giving up. I checked the ink. Nope, that wasn't the problem. I could try clicking 'Print' again, but I had already tried that three times and nothing changed. Even worse, the computer was busted. It wouldn't access the world files which I needed to issue Cheng Ye his task.

Of course, I had mentioned it to my boss, but he just replied with, "You should have prepared it in advance! Kids these days... Why, back when I was your age...' And he kept going on. It took an hour and a half to get away from him. He wouldn't even lend me another computer, saying they had 'confidential files' and he was 'busy'.

Which led me to call the Management Department, but they didn't give me an answer. They were busy assisting the Drama Department in the beginning of spring season.

It took me two more hours until I was finally able to receive the world files from the Management Department. I worked on the kinks in the space until then. (Remember the black hole Cheng Ye stuck that stick in? Fixed.) I balked at the amount of papers there were. There were twice the usual amount for the scenario, which was bad. It meant the world had a complicated story-line for my host to follow. Which meant more work for me to keep the host in order, and it would take a longer time to print all the papers. Actually, I was surprised by the huge amount. No matter how complicated the story was, it usually wasn't this long. I felt worried. Since my computer was still on the fritz, I borrowed a device and printer from the next sector over.

I sat back in my office desk and carefully clipped my new files together. Glancing at the clock, it was nearly eight in the evening. Back in the Fantasy Sector, I was off work at six, and I had a one hour lunch break at noon. But those good days were long past me now. I scrolled through the papers, only to despair.

Now I understood why my papers had been so thick. This was unfair!

The Webnovel Department was responsible for weaving stories in various worlds. Among them, the Quick Transmigration Sector was a recent addition. Our main job was to create stories, just like other sectors, but we also had other functions: we could help install specific settings before the official plot, and we also cleaned up after the stories. It was the infamous killing two birds with one stone.

Usually, the system and host would be given one story to change, and guidelines on how and why it should be changed. For example, maybe the story ended with the death of an innocent 2nd Male Lead, who suffered from physical and psychological harm. In that case, the Morality Committee has the system guide the host to save the 2nd Male Lead, and create a cool new story while they were at it.

However, the world papers I had in my hand were thick. Of course they would be! There were two stories in it! Both were completed and needed cleaning after. The second story's Female Lead was the daughter of the previous story's Female Lead and Male Lead, making the story a kind of spin-off. In other words, this task was actually two tasks disguised as one, and not only that, the two tasks were complexly intertwined with one another.

This was definitely not a job for a newbie host and someone who had just recently transferred to the division. I slapped my hand on my forehead, cursing the entire Management Department.

My only comfort was that the worlds were set in a modern world- if it had been cultivation, I would have screamed and sent a complaint to the department already. Or maybe I wouldn't. If my host failed, I thought numbly, I could just write it off or kill my host for comedic purposes. And then maybe the next world I would be assigned to wouldn't be so bad.

Closing my eyes, I once again touched the metal device in the office and transported into the world.

Of course, nothing was going as planned.

As soon as I arrived in the world, I saw Cheng Ye standing on the street and staring at the sunset as the setting for the second story, the high school, created a fiery explosion in the distance. Next to him was the villainess of the story, Hong Xiaohui, shivering in fear while glancing at him from time to time. There was screaming. Police sirens blared. Firemen swarmed the area. I made a sigh.

"Oh, you're here, System?" Cheng Ye said calmly.

I had the urge to throttle my dear host's throat, but since I was a professional System, I smiled instead. "Host," I said, controlling the rage in my voice."It is not recommended to act in ways that severely damage the plot."

Cheng Ye shrugged as if he didn't care. "You never told me there was one."

Which was technically correct. Hong Xiaohui looked alarmed as he spoke nonsense to thin air like a crazy person. "Host, it is also not recommended to talk aloud to your System. The natives may think you are crazy."

Cheng Ye didn't answer, so I decided to add in some extra rules, "Host, if you do not act accordingly, there will be punishments." Maybe something like an electric shock, I pondered. Or death. Or maybe a fun little penalty?

That got his attention. "What punishments?" He asked, deep in thought.

This time, I was the one who didn't answer. It was more effective that way.

"Host," I said instead, "Would you like to receive the details of your task?" Hong Xianhui had already scuttled off, so I decided there was no time like the present to give him the plot. Before he messed up worse, I mean.

"Sure."

 I gave him the old Cheng Ye's memories by tapping my printed side character detail papers on Cheng Ye's head. They should fix that, I thought inwardly. It was annoying to have to do things by hand. Cheng Ye staggered as he took in all the new information.

"Zhang Anqi is the only daughter of the Zhang family that rules the underground." I stated. "She has a very close relationship with Feng Jinyu. Because of this, her classmate Hong Xiaohui, who happens to have a crush on Feng Jinyu, is jealous of Zhang Anqi. Hong Xiaohui and Zhang Anqi have a big fight in which Zhang Anqi is hurt. Hearing this, Zhang Anqi's rich family sets fire to Hong Xiaohui's house and disfigures her."

Cheng Ye's eyes widened, having noticed who 'Hong Xiaohui' was. "Wait. So-"

I ignored him and continued, "Hong Xiaohui is bullied and shunned at school as a result of her disfigurement. Turning crazy, she sets fire to the school and commits suicide. You are the second male lead, Cheng Ye, the school bully who is in love with Zhang Anqi."

"So I transmigrated into a school romance novel," Cheng Ye's finished his sentence, "A messed up one at that. What's the task?"

But I wasn't finished yet. Sadly. "Host, this isn't a romance novel. After death, Hong Xiaohui turns into an evil ghost and takes her revenge. She kills all her classmates including Cheng Ye, then she kidnaps Feng Jinyu and turns him into her doll."

"Your task is to prevent the death of Cheng Ye and bring him success." I ended the briefing and looked at Cheng Ye, checking to see if he had any questions.

Cheng Ye was silent for a long time. He looked up at the sky.

"Damn."

2