Chapter 1 – Waking From the Dream
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Waking From the Dream

Tamas POV:

I looked at the cloaked stranger, Jebel, in front of me. The record ball in Jebel’s hands was still emanating a faint white light, but the images inside it had vanished into a grey fog.

For the longest time, my love had been my life. And while Lady Cybele de Robini’s words had cracked it, it was only now that the illusion had shattered. My face hardened as I resolved myself: ‘Never again will I so foolishly trust another.’

I stated earlier that my love had been my life. Thinking about it, that’s hardly true. Had I even lived up till now? Everything I did I did for another. And I received in return where empty words to fuel my delusion. Yes, even before I fell for the lady’s womanly wiles, I had passed my time surviving: ‘Hated by my mother, regarded as a tool by my father; a life for another is all I know.’

And that’s why I accepted Jebel’s proposition… for now. If all that being desired was another lifeless servant… then I’d take my chances elsewhere. Coincidentally, it was then that Jebel resumed speaking,

“Good. Now, except for that woman, are there any other ties you need to resolve before leaving?”

Ties? I’d cut all ties with my family the moment I reached adulthood. After all, they had sold me off as soon as I could walk. Except for that lady… no, that bitch, there was no one. I’d been to busy obsessing over here.

“No, there’s only her.”

“Are you prepared to cut ties with her?”

“Knowing that she wants to kill me? Absolutely.”

“Good. Follow me.”

I saw no reason to refuse, and so I followed this man through the city’s winded back alleys until we finally reached a proper road. Jebel had guided us to the back entrance of the “Plumb Honeysuckle”, a small but respectable inn.

When we entered, we passed a kitchen boy. The boy nodded to the cloaked Jebel and didn’t pay me any heed, despite my… washed up state.

“Go up ahead. I will ask the innkeeper to bring us a meal,” Jebel stated, pointing out the stairway to our right and handing me the room key. The stranger did not seem the least bit concerned that I’d abscond with their belongings.

Then again, perhaps they simply did not keep any valuables in the room. All in all, I was still uncertain whether Jebel was human. Did wraiths rent rooms at inns?

Either way, there was only one way to find out. I took the key and headed upstairs.

Our room was at the end of the corridor. The lock creaked a little when I turned the key; then the door swung inward revealing a simple bedroom with two cots and one doorway leading to a small bathroom.

When I caught sight of the tab, I sighed in relief: ‘At least this place got piping.’ At cheaper inns, one either had to carry buckets from the boiler room to fill a tub or use the communal bath.

Figuring this was why he’d sent me up ahead, I relieved myself of my clothes and started washing up. No sooner had I finished, there was a knock at the door. I quickly put on my pants and opened it to find a maid holding a tray.

“Sir said ta bring ye sum hot soup... Sir,” the maid added, hesitantly taking in my appearance.

“Yes, you may leave,” I replied, taking the tray of steaming soup, bread, and what looked like ale from her.

 


“Get dressed.”

A pack of clothes came flying my way.

The Jebel’s voice startled me awake, and so I managed to catch the pack with one hand.

He had not returned even after I’d finished my meal, and so I’d decided to just get some quality sleep. It’d been quite a while since last I’d slept so soundly.

The pack contained riding pants, a simple but well-made black shirt of good fabric, and everything else you’d expect.

“Boots.” Jebel pointed to the door where now stood an extra pair of brown leather boots.

‘Not very eloquent today, are we?’ I thought to myself. I’d been living as a servant for long enough that I kept such thoughts to myself.

Jebel did not wait for me. The being tossed two silvers on the small table between our cots and said, “When you’re finished, get breakfast downstairs.”

 

I got dressed, stowed my old clothes and tattered cloth shoes in the pack, and finally headed down for breakfast… as ordered. Jebel joined me halfway through, and I leisurely finished my ale as I watched the being elegantly dissect their breakfast.

‘Looks like they’re a proper noble…’

Afterwards, we headed out front. There was a small stable left of the “Plumb Honeysuckle” which belonged to the inn. Our horses had already been saddled. Ostensibly, Jebel… or Lord Jebel had done so before joining me for breakfast.

There was quite a queue of people seeking entry in front of the western gate, but hardly anyone was riding out. Furthermore, since there was no such thing as an exit tax, the guards never checked the people leaving the city. Thus, we quickly left.

“Where are we headed?” Jebel had yet to share their plans. Would we go to meet up with the rest of this family of Keshan?

“To cut ties, of course.”

Now that we’d left the city, Jebel seemed in a better mood. Though it was a bit difficult to tell with the cloak and all.

“So, we’ll visit that bit… woman?”

“Yes, you need to cut ties with that bitch.”

‘Seeing as he’s got no problem with swearing, he’s probably not all proper after all.’

I liked that thought. Although I’d been a lord myself, I hated the noble’s pretentiousness. Still, I was fairly good at imitating it myself. Otherwise, I’d never succeeded at making that bitch the heir of her family.

 


Thanks to the two good steeds, we reached the Robini estate in only half a day’s ride. It had taken me one and a half days to get away from there. Of course, my horse had been wounded and I’d been hiding my tracks, so that’s that.

Now that I could see the estate in the distance, I wondered how this would go. Would we just ride up and demand to see their lady? What exactly did this stranger consider ‘cutting ties’?

When I’d cut ties with my family, I’d simple written up a document stating the intent and delivered a copy to them as well as the crown. But considering that Jebel had threatened to kill her before… Perhaps the being was visiting more extreme methods?

I decided to ask,

“What’s the plan?”

“Do you need me to make one for you?”

“So… Do you really want me to kill her?”

“That’s the most reliable way.”

“How do you want me to do it? An assassination?”

“Ha. Why are you asking? The only strand that ties me to her is you.

“It is up to you how you cut it, but do it today and be sure you cut off everything: love, resentment, and whatever other feelings she has left in you.”

Resentment. Truthfully, I felt a lot of resentment. I’d grown up repressing such feelings, so I’d been rationalizing it away. That bitch had used me by kindling the fire inside of me. Now the glowing ashes of those feelings needed to be buried once and for all.

“I understand. Will you stay behind or come with?”

“Do not concern yourself with me.”

I nodded. Then I started considering the situation: Naturally, all the estate’s entrances where well-guarded. Since it was a count’s estate, the guards were trained and equipped excellently. But over the years, I had eliminated many people within that very estate. Even the count’s son had died by my hand.

Nonetheless, while I certainly could get in, I was not as sure about getting out alive. I’d done it once, but that was in large part due to the chaos and confusion of the guards. That bitch originally intended to take me quietly and only informed her personal guard.

Even though she knew I’d trained alongside the young master, her brother growing up, she severely underestimated me.

‘All these thoughts will end today.’

I decided not to worry about this escape. If that stranger, Jebel, really wanted me, they could do something about it. If not, well, at least I’d die fighting.

I’d reached the edge of the forest. There was not a single tree within half a mile radius of the estate. Defensibility and such.

If the count did not enjoy hunting in the forest, the knights would probably have cleared a mile.

‘Since it’s impossible to hide, I will rush it.’

Circulating my energy, I lightened my body; and in quick strides I crossed the green fields in seconds.  I reached the wall surrounding the estate without being spotted by a single guard.

The wall was warded and were I to destroy the ward, it would immediately alert all three of the estate’s swordmasters.

And so, I quickly glided alongside the wall towards the eastern entrance, hoping the shadow of the wall would hide me from the guards that were making rounds on top of it.

Since it was nearing evening, there’d be a shift change soon. While the eastern gate was always kept closed except when noble carriages sought entry, this was a far better choice for infiltration than the western gate.

Since it was used by merchants, servants, soldiers, and whoever else was granted the right to visit the estate but wasn’t a noble, most guards were stationed at the western gate’s guard quarters. However, unlike the western gate’s side entry the eastern gate’s was warded and could only be opened from the inside. That’s why I planned to take advantage of the shift change.

Considering the position of the sun, it should be nearing the 9th hour of the day. A day was divided into twelve hours, so this could be considered late.

Judging that the time had come, I quickly took care of the current guard at the eastern gate. He seemed well-trained, but it is difficult to defend against a threat that you did not see coming. Thanks to training my energy, I could move at speeds impossible for ordinary guards. My fist collided with his face and knocked him right out.

I dragged the unconscious guard closer to the gate, but I did not kill him. I recognized him. Though I did not know him well, we’d shared some ale before and he’d never mistreated me. The same could not be said for all of the guards: some of them were sons of minor nobles themselves and enjoyed playing with ‘the bastard’ servant. After having killed my master, I could not afford to reveal my strength.

Fortunately, it took only a few minutes for the shift change to arrive. I’d positioned myself next to the door. When it swung open, I did not wait for the guard replacement to come out but rushed in.

“Wump!” Although he wore armor, the collision with me knocked him over, because my momentum had the strength of energy behind it. While the sound was muffled, I knew I only had moments.

Veiling my sword in energy, I stabbed down. My sword cut right through the man’s armor and into his heart. My other hand stifled the old guard’s stream. His eyes betrayed immense shock.

The bastard he used to beat up had returned and could use energy. A mere servant using sword energy! Unable to make sense of his death, the man’s eyes glazed over and he stopped spasming.

Blood had run out the corners of his mouth and onto the glove of the hand I’d used to hold it shut.

But I had no time to wipe it clean, someone was making their way down the stairs, calling out to whom he presumed to be the young guard,

“Fucking hell! Adon, ye drop that lamp again?”

Adon had indeed dropped his lamp, outside that is. Of course, Beret whom I’d just killed had carried a lamp as well, but that one had been extinguished by me just moments ago.

Knowing the guy, whose voice identified him as Lord Balzer, would raise an alarm if no one responded. I did my best imitating his voice, and replied,

“Yessir!”

If you don’t know someone’s voice well, it’s best to keep your sentences short.

“Brat, that’s already the second fucking time!”

The shine of the lamp had now reached the bottom of the stairs. ‘Now or never.’

Once again, I circulated my energy and wrapped it around my blade, rushing up the stairs towards the shocked Lord Balzer.

0