Chapter 7. The Disappearance of Ruan (I)
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

That's how Ruan felt all his life.

It's him against everyone.

But, he had a ray of light in his life. His grandfather, Mada.

He always used to correct him. "It's us against them all.", and Ruan won't feel as lonely as before.

As Mada was a controversial scientist, much of the public criticism was directed against him. Therefore, there was an antipathy in the public towards him and so forward Ruan. They would condemn his grandfather to his face, curse him, and even confront him. There was one time Ruan remembers well.

A stranger approached him and argued to him, "Everything would be much better if your grandfather had disappeared from the world. He took people's lives in the work accidents in his laboratory, lives that worth more than his own." the man claimed.

At a young age, before he developed his razor-sharp tongue, he was speechless. Looking at the tall-as-a-skyscraper man from below, all he did was look at him with his big eyes and accept the humiliation.

Against those his own age, he could retaliate through blows and curses. But when he reached the second grade, the power balance began to shift to his disadvantage.

When children reach the second grade, they would perform the Energia test. A huge Energia testing machine would arrive at the school. Everyone in turns would put their hand in as they release a burst of their power, and the examiner would hand over the result later, in a centralized manner.

The answers were posted in the school yard, on the bulletin board. When Ruan read the results, his eyes darkened.

he got the lowest score of all the other kids.

He didn't believe it.

Anger and rage filled him. But more than that, he was filled with jealousy.

To see that he is almost the only one with this score in a class of over thirty students.

The jealousy that students he defined as "cowards" are classified as having a much higher grade than him.

If it was a insignificant issue, he could've skipped it. But they made sure to explain to them beforehand the importance of the Energia grade.

"Energia grade "D"?! It's the lowest level of all the Energia levels!" Ruan snapped furiously. "They barely said anything about it!" he fumed displeased.

Later that year, the traditional Energia weapon distribution ceremony took place. The rest of the students came with their parents, but Ruan, came alone.

At the ceremony, if the students did not receive Energia weapons from their relatives, they could choose from a selection of weapons presented to them with the school's subsidy.

At the entrance to the school, in the playing ground field outside of it, long tables were spread out and on them Energia weapons, divided according to their Energia grades.

In a general point of view, Energia weapons could be very confusing as they all looked the same when not in use.

A thin iod metal bracelet, in different colors and designs.

But, if you looked next to the bracelet, for each Energia weapon, there was also a booklet.

The booklet would detail the capabilities of the Energia weapon, and the possibilities of using it. One weapon had an illustration of a hammer. Another weapon had an illustration of a paintbrush. For the third weapon an illustration of a bow, and so on.

However, most of the Energia weapons were divided into two categories. Occupational weapons and offensive weapons.

Generally, for C-D Energia ranks, the offered weapons were small weapons defined as "employment weapons". These weapons are designed to perform simple everyday tasks. Some would even define them as useless. But, It's in the eye of the beholder.

For ranks A-B, more advanced Energia weapons were offered. "Offensive weapons" was their official classification.

An offensive Energia weapon, despite its versatile uses, is intended to be a lethal weapon. Of course, at such a young age, it is incapable of being deadly. But, it's potential is there.

However, although it's clear superiority, there were those who despite their high Energia level, would choose an occupational weapon.

There is a fundamental difference between a person trained with an occupational weapon and an offensive one.

Those who chose an offensive Energia weapon are marked as raw potential for plenty of future roles. Combined with a high Energia rank, it was almost guaranteed that more doors in life would open for them. But, these doors were not necessarily safe, as most positions were equivalent to mercenary. Therefore, the number of owners of offensive weapons was low.

In addition, these weapons were more expensive, so if they were available, they would run out as quickly as hot buns. So sometimes even if Energia B level who wanted an offensive Energia weapon, would have to settle for an occupational Energia weapon instead.

After choosing the weapons, each student would wear the Energia weapon on their dominant hand and demonstrate it, as they channeled their body's Energia into it.

Each weapon was opened from the thin arm bracelet to a thin metal in the shape intended for it. Then, the Energia used would wrap around the metal rods to the design of the weapon. Whether it was claws, pincers, a jagged whip, and whatnot.

Since he arrived late, Ruan didn't have many choices left to choose. He randomly picked up one of the C-D rank bracelets and put it on his hand as he was thrilled to finally have one of his own.

He tried channeling his Energia into it, and slowly, it opened right before his eyes. Excitement filled him as he exerted himself and began to sweat, transmitting his body's Energia into the thin metal rod to his hand. He looked at the block of Energia in his hand, changing shape slowly, until it settled on a constant shape.

A pen.

"Ah?!" Ruan shouted angry as he pulled the bracelet out of his hand forcefully. "Is this a joke or something?!" he yelled aloud furiously.

In the instruction booklet, it was written that this is a pen whose ink never runs out.

Ruan threw the bracelet on the floor in anger, as the sound of a crowd caught his attention.

0