Interlude 3: Mom and Dad
1k 6 47
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
And here is the beginning of the next story arc, Queens of the Damned. It's a bit awkward starting it off with an "interlude," but it didn't seem right to start it off with a prologue, considering it's still the same story and not a sequel.

 

Part 2: Queens of the Damned

 

Things had been strained between Howard and Elizabeth Wilcox for some time, ever since their “son” had “disappeared” a few months ago.  Howard knew better, of course, but he had to pretend not to in order to maintain the peace with his wife. It wasn’t as hard as he had thought it might be, mostly because he was so terrified of her.  He wasn’t a good liar, but fear can do a lot to keep your mouth shut.

 

It was still a challenge, however.  Liz had always been a “strong woman,” and Howard had always respected that.  Lately, though, he was beginning to realize his wife’s strength was more oppressive than anything.  He had rarely ever fought with her throughout their near thirty-year marriage, and he had always thought it was because she was just so smart and perfect.  Now, he was beginning to think that maybe she wasn’t as smart as he had thought and that, in fact, the reason he had never fought her was because he was afraid of what she might do if he did.

 

This all came to a head one evening when they were celebrating his birthday at a local Italian restaurant he liked called Luigi’s.

 

“I think I want to go on a trip,” he said.  “Just travel around the country for a bit.”

 

“Oh, that sounds like fun!” Liz replied.  “We could rent an RV and go camping at the national parks!”

 

Howard could already see the gears turning in Liz’s mind as she started making plans.  She always does this: an idea might be presented to her, but she’ll make it her own and never accept any input from anyone else.

 

“No,” he said, putting a stop to her rambling mind.  “I just mean, like, by myself.”

 

The shock written on Liz’s face was all he needed to know he’d made a terrible mistake.

 

“You’re… you’re leaving me?” she said, horror dripping from her voice.

 

“What?  No,” Howard said, but his denial would never be enough for Liz.  When she made the conclusion that you were betraying her, you were public enemy number one.

 

“Yes, you are!”  Liz was already over the edge.  “You’re leaving me, just like Chris left me.  Just like… everyone. Everyone leaves me…”

 

“No, Liz, I just think it’d be fun to have some time to myself.”

 

Liz’s fury was in full effect as she stood up from the booth they were sitting at.  “No. You can’t do this to me. You can’t leave me. I’m kicking you out. Don’t bother coming home.  You won’t be welcome.” She stormed out of the restaurant, leaving Howard alone to handle the bill. They had come in her car, and she would most likely drive home alone.  Howard would have to find some other way to get home, except that he couldn’t go home. There was only one person he could think to call…

Jötnar now has a chat channel on the Valyn Storyverse Discord server! Come and hang out, chat, discuss, cause a little chaos! https://discord.gg/z2zbScF

47