Chapter 1
294 5 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

YGGDRASIL.

Everyone who hears the name will know what it is instantly.

Everyone will think of YGGDRASIL when they hear the term "DMMO-RPG," as it's a very well-known DMMO-RPG game.

The game attracted the greatest public attention and quickly gained widespread popularity because it gave players freedom, the ability to customize their avatars, a variety of classes, and expansive worlds to explore.

But, alas, everything will change.

The game lost its vibrancy after a long run of twelve years, and hence its developers eventually chose to shut down the game.

--------------------------------------

I gazed around the majestic throne hall, its beauty is proof of our love and passion. 

As I sat upon the throne, a smile touched my lips, tinged with nostalgia. I remembered the beginning of the game when our guild consisted of just a few friends and me. We had started from scratch, driven by addiction and passion, and now, here we were—the foremost guild in all of YGGDRASIL.

And so time passed, many of our guild members became increasingly busy with their real-life responsibilities. It was natural for them to have other commitments outside of the game. Slowly but surely, the number of players who were actively playing the game began to dwindle.

We've fought many creatures, ranging from normal bosses to World Enemy.

But none of us can't fight one thing.

Reality.

At the end of the day, this is just a game where people spend their limited time from real life.

Moving on.

{ID : 0000000001 Omega Ω Lvl. 10̷̳̳̰͔̝͓͈͇͑̒͗͂̑̑̑̌̐̑͜͜͝͝ͅ0̵̧̢̣̳̟̦͈͔̮̮͈̗ }

I might have reached the top rank in YGGDRASIL by exploiting a few bugs and having some inside connections with the developers. But hey, these are just a few of my achievements. I played YGGDRASIL before beta, so I know all the bugs, grind locations, and quests. I can even show you some of the best spots in the game! And even though I've taken advantage of a few glitches, I haven't broken any rules, so I'm safe from being banned. It doesn't hurt that my dad is the CEO of a company that supported the financial development of YGGDRASIL. But I'm not trying to brag or anything!

In YGGDRASIL, exploiting glitches and bugs is not bannable since it's the devs' fault to make it happen. However, if you piss them off, they might troll or ban you for destroying the game balance or crashing the server. That's how my guild became the first-ranked guild with a position that can't be shaken for years. 

The Trinity is a guild inspired by Abrahamic religions, united under one banner, ruled by me. I'm not bragging, but I have pride in my guild, you know? Watching the guild grow from zero to the first-ranked guild is an indescribable feeling. 

Oh, I forgot to mention what my character looks like. I have an androgynous, futuristic appearance, mostly dominated by white and rainbow-colored auras shimmering around my character. I automatically float through the air. My long silver hair has a shiny rainbow effect that changes color as the light hits it. It floats on its own. I also have deep red eyes with narrow pupils. There's a triangular halo above my head, shining in rainbow-like colors. 

I know I'm badass, right? I'm creative, after all. Ugh, what the hell am I saying? I'm not talking to anyone here. I shake my head and dismiss my thoughts of bragging to God-knows-who.

I looked around the empty throne hall and sighed. I didn't have many friends, but the few I had were special to me. Momonga and Eve were guildmasters like me, and we didn't talk often, but when we did, it was always meaningful. We'd share strategies, tactics, and experiences. We'd even attend conferences together.

I gazed around the throne hall, taking in the silence. The hall was spacious and tidy, with everything in its place, but it felt empty. 

I didn't have many friends outside my guild members, but the few I had were special. Momonga and Eve were guildmasters like me, and we didn't chat often, but when we did, it was always meaningful. We'd share strategies, tactics, and experiences. We'd even attend conferences together.

But now, everything was coming to an end. The game we had all grown to love, YGGDRASIL, was shutting down. All the time and effort I had invested into it would be gone. The thought of losing everything was unbearable.

I decided to take one last stroll around our guild base. I remember creating it with my friends and pouring our hearts into it. The base had eight floors, each inspired by the concept of Heaven. 

The first layer of this virtual world is a maze-like cloud structure filled with many traps, confusing paths and unpredictable changes. The traps can be quite frustrating, such as a glitched trap that crashes your device or a trap full of melting slime. However, the beauty of the artificial sky cannot be denied, with the sun, earth and countless stars shining above.

The second layer is entirely made up of clouds. The sky is covered with clouds and unique fogs that impair vision. Automatic turrets are also hidden throughout, making it a nightmare for any player.

The third layer is a replica of an uncorrupted Earth, with a solid and active surface that has mountains, valleys, canyons, and plains.

In the fourth layer, there are treasures of gold, emerald, ruby, and other precious materials, as well as plants that are not seen in the human world, and a rainbow sky.

The fifth layer is filled with palaces made of rare and precious materials such as ruby and emerald. The sky is adorned with multiple stars that symbolize "One."

The sixth layer is where angels, immortal humans, and other NPCs reside. It is entirely dedicated to the residents of Heaven.

The seventh layer is where the Bearers of the Throne of God reside. As their duty is to carry the throne, the entire place is made of water.

As I made my way up to the eighth floor, Above the Heavens, where the Guild Master resided, which is me. The place was beautiful and peaceful. I quietly sat on my throne, one of the World Items I obtained, and closed my eyes, taking in the experience one last time.

Time sure flows fast.

The feeling of knowing I was losing something I loved was unbearable.

Perhaps at another time..

If only..

The game is real..

[23:58:00]

[23:59:00

[23:59:59]

[00:00:01]

[00:00:02]

[00:00:03]

.

.

.

.

.

I heard a soft voice calling out, "Mother, please wake up. This is not the time for sleeping." 

"Ten more minutes, I'm still too sleepy," I replied, hoping to get back to sleep. 

"Understood, I will be back in 10 minutes," she said and left the room. 

I was about to drift off again when I realized something was wrong. 

Whose voice is that?

 "Huh?" I started to speak, but my voice sounded different, almost ethereal. I quickly covered my mouth with my hand and felt smooth, soft skin, different from my own. 

"What's happening to me?" I thought, confused and scared. 

I tried to make sense of what was going on, but nothing seemed to add up. 

"Was the shutdown postponed, or was the developer trolling me again?" I questioned myself. 

As I pinched my cheek, I felt the pain, which didn't make sense given you can't feel pain in the game. 

"What's going on?" I muttered to myself.

As I regained my composure, I felt a presence approaching me. It was a woman with blonde hair, bright blue eyes, and a glowing halo above her head. She wore an open gold and black outfit and had twelve white wings behind her back. I know damn well who is her since I created her.

Gabriel, the first NPC that I create and one of the Seraph.

"Good day, Mother. " Gabriel said, which took me by surprise. How can she talk?

I forced myself to keep my face neutral, but somehow my face was already naturally used to using this expression.

'Uh, what do you want?'

"What is it, Gabriel?" I said smoothly, realizing that my mouth was translating my thoughts on its own.

"I regret to inform you that the Gate of Heaven, the portal to Heaven in another dimension, has been teleported to an unknown ocean. Our defenses have been alerted and we are preparing for a full response against any potential intruder." Gabriel reported.

Wait, what?

To put it simply, the Gate of Heaven is a portal to Heaven, as Heaven exists in another dimension.

What should I do?

I thought for a moment and said, "Very well, Gabriel. Please order all angels below Seraph to prepare for any intruder, and gather all Seraphs to the 5th heaven for an emergency meeting."

"Understood, Mother," she replied with a nod. "Is there anything else I can assist you with?"

"No, that will be all for now. Thank you, Gabriel," I said, trying to hide my surprise as she referred to me as "Mother" before leaving the hall.

------------------------------------

Author Note : I got inspired by Holo_Lover 's fanfic and luka ririnki's fanfic, and decided to write Overlord fanfic, I don't know I should continue this story or no, I wrote this story because it was stuck in my mind.

New A/N : Got motivated and I just want to rewrite the 1st chapter, I think Gabriel's conversation with the protagonist is not well fleshed out and a bit bland, along with my limited vocabularies making me use same words over and over.

(Rewritten as 08/04/2024)

13