Prologue
135 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

    Kyira opened her eyes, staring at the familiar sight of her cave's ceiling. She was lying on her usual bed, everything was normal. Well, except for one important thing. Today was the day that Katya would either save or kill everyone. She was hoping for the first option. She stood slowly, her legs shaking as she brushed off her dark black scales. Her silver eyes filled with worry as she walked out of her cave and into the open outside. She crept onto the public stage she and the other four had set up. She waited behind the curtain, not wanting the other dragons to see her terrified like this. She wished that Crystal would be early but she knew that was extremely unlikely. 

    As Kyria waited, staring at the hundreds of dragons assembled before her she let the frantic thoughts race across her mind, What if this doesn't work? They will all hate me! She chewed her claws nervously waiting for the other four to come. She didn't know what they would do to her if her idea didn't work. Nothing good most likely.

"Kyri!" her best friend, Hari, yelled, circling in the air her. 

Kyria sighed, relieved. "Come on! I need you!" she yelled back up.

Hari touched down beside her grinning, "Aw, that's right you NEED me!" Hari wasn't one of the five, she was just a healer, but it always helped Kyria to have a friend nearby. Hari lowered her voice, "Have that dream again?" she whispered. Her blue eyes flashed secretly. 

Kyria frowned, "No." she said plainly. "and I told you not to talk about that." she added in a hiss. 

Hari lifted her shoulders slightly, "Well, I mean..."

Kyria shuddered, the memory of the night before burned into her mind. 

Kyria saw dark red talons as if stained with blood, came rushing toward her. She leaped out of the way, "Stop it! why are you doing this?"

"Your idea will ruin EVERYTHING! I don't CARE how POWERFUL they think you are- stop it!" The dream changed. Her brother's scarlet scales changed into smooth skin. the juice poured over his flesh as he shuddered and wailed.

"That will teach you!"  Yelled Kyria in the dream but real Kyria screamed. Yet again the dream changed. This dream wasn't as openly sinister as the other ones, but Kyria knew something was wrong. She saw dragons pouring out of a small dark hole. People yelled her name happily and bumped her wings. It looked like they had arrived in paradise, but Kyria felt a presence that was just there like it was waiting for something. She imaged that later dragon being dragged back into the dark hole, as it slowly grew. She saw everyone gathered except for the four ad Hari. Where were they? 

Hari sucked Kyria out of her flashback. "Kyri, you need to focus the four should be arriving soon." Kyria nodded slowly, still thinking about the dream, what had it meant? But, as usual, Kyria had no time. 

"Yes, of course, your right Hari." she breathed deeply, gathering her courage.

 Kyria glanced at the sun: They should be here in three two one-"Hiya Kyria! Where are Anahita, Aruaq, and Cami?" a bright white dragon that had just landed beside her asked. Kyria sighed, finally it was time. Of course, they would have to wait for the other three. 

Kyria smiled, "great job Crystal. Right on time as always!" Crystal was one of Kyria's best friends for several reasons: Crystal was always punctual and would never keep a friend waiting, she would always give the best advice and was even more supportive than Hari. 

Kyria smiled, of course, Crystal would expect the other three to be as punctual as her. "They are not here yet, but, of course, you know Anahita and Aruaq."

Crystal looked fidgety, "Yes but, late for something as important as this?" 

Before Kyria could answer, a light blue dragon the color of the sky appeared overhead. The dragon landed beside them. "Hi, guys. Am I late for the party?" Cami asked her scales changing from light blue to a dark midnight blue with silver scales like stars, her smile was bright and happy as always, her cleverness hidden beneath her beautiful scales. 

"Cami! Cutting it close much?" Crystal scowled playfully at Cami and hit her with her tail. 

Cami smiled even more at her, "Sure, sure you could call me late. But I am still not as late as the twins."

Crystal rolled her eyes, "Yes, we all know the twins. But you have a reputation for NOT being late! You should work on that. And where ARE the twins?" 

"The twins?" A voice came from behind them.

"The twins? The twins are here!" a different voice came after the first one, as two dragons landed in front, one a brilliant mix of different ocean colors, the other a dusty sand color. 

"Anahita!" Kyria yelled, addressing the ocean dragon, who was the younger twin. "Aruaq!" she yelled to the older, desert mix twin. "late much?" Crystal and Cami scowled at them, (well Crystal scowled at them but Cami copied her.) 

Hari smirked, "Right, now the magnificent five have come I can go join the crowd of commoners!" she said loudly, and Kyria thought she could detect a bit of bitterness under the light tone. But before she could say anything Hari had taken off, swirling up all the leaves around them with powerful gusts as she flew away. 

"Well!" Cami declared, "Time to do some BIG magic!" Crystal smiled, her scales shined like mirrors as she led Cami, Anahita, and Aruaq into the horde of multi-colored dragons. 

The other four pushed Kyria forward, and she sighed deeply, preparing to speak to the speech she had been planning, but it was surprisingly difficult to choke out the words,  she had practiced so many times, and she had no problem speaking publicly normally. But she couldn't help thinking of her dreams. And the fact that something was about to go seriously wrong.

When the speech was done, she nodded to the other four, Crystal, Cami, Aruaq, and Anahita all came and stood beside Kyria. Together they stood in a circle. once she thought everyone was ready, Kyria started whispering, then Crystal joined in, then Cami, then Anahita, and Araq. Kyria looked up at the sky, trying to push down the sick feeling rising in her stomach. 

4