Chapter 3
57 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   Katya breathed in the fresh air of the open, free sky. Happy to be flying through its clouds again. She did a joyful spiral as the gentle breeze lifted her ever higher into the air. Katya felt free and timeless as if she could fly forever, just relax and let this comfortable breeze take her everywhere. She made a dragon laugh and did another spiral, her scattered silver scales flashing like mirrors in the clear sunshine, and her black scales standing out in the bright sunlight.

But as much as Katya enjoyed this and wanted to do it forever, she knew deep down inside that now Sir and Prima would be looking for her and she had to keep moving forward or risk being found. The only questions were: where would she go from now on? What would happen now? And of course the most important one: What does she need to do and how and why? Katya felt that she would never get the answers she sought for. 

Put down by her sad thoughts Katya didn’t notice when she passed right over her mother, or when her mother spotted her and started yelling she only noticed when everyone below her had started yelling. And she realized that she must have drifted back into sight. She was about to go back into the clouds but her mother caught her eye. Katya was so angry, angry that her mom was right there, in front of her eyes and she hadn’t noticed! She dove down, down for the ground, murderous thoughts beating louder than her heartbeat. Katya sunk her talons into her mother's shoulders and felt as warm blood started oozing from the spots her talons had punctured. Her mother started screaming and screaming as drops of blood ran down her shirt and dripped to the ground, which was zipping quickly away from them, as Katya rose higher, and higher into the sky, her mother screaming in her talons, writhing but unable to move or do anything. 

Katya paced the shard of rock she had placed her mother on. Her mother trembled on the edge, shaking as Katya growled at her. “I-I-I can’t say why you hate me so much! Dragon! I can't recall-'' Katya silenced her with a snap pretty close to her face. Her mother screamed and stopped talking. It wasn’t hard for Katya to do this. Years of built-up anger that never had a chance to escape slowly left her, energized her, giver her the strength to torture.

“You gave me hours of pain. You tortured me. You NEVER wanted me! You hated me. And now it's all coming back to haunt you. You hated me. And I HATED. YOU.” with each of the last words Katya blew flames into her mother's face. She knew all her mother heard was roars but it still felt good to Katya to hurt her mother in this way, the way that would scar her mind forever. Katya hated her mother but loved this. And she knew that she would cherish every minute.

It was finally dark out and Katya gazed at the sky debating about what to do with her mother. Kill her? No... that would be much too kind, her mother would die slowly or keep living her pointless life... Release her? Meh no… Starve her to death? Good idea. She stared at the almost burnt mountain goat meat she was eating for dinner. Katya knew she would never go hungry if she was careful, but what really bothered her was what she should do next. And disposing of her mother, one way or another, was a step closer to what Katya wanted to do. She got up and started looking around. She inspected the sheer cliff, looking for something, but she didn’t quite know what. She left her mother stuck in the makeshift den Katya had made a while ago.

Katya walked a few steps more then leaped onto another ledge and climbed like that, leaping from ledge to ledge. Suddenly she stumbled across what she thought she was looking for, a cave. Katya entered it and looked around. The walls had some sort of bluish glow but the middle of the room was completely dark. Katya blew some flames so she could light her way, but several things happened simultaneously.

The room was bathed in light. As soon as the fire touched the walls the cavern opened up and turned into some sort of passageway. Katya, being as curious as she was, decided to follow it. The stone passageway led to an even larger cavern, but this one had stuff on its walls. Are those drawings? She asked herself. Examining the walls, she discovered that they were carvings! But these carvings were of dragons. Katya was extremely intrigued now and she used her flames to light up the sketches. But the flames swirled around her and began to take a shape- they were telling the story. The story of dragons. The dragon images leaped and swirled around, just as lively as her carvings at home. Katya, overcome by inexpiable joy leaped and swirled around with them, lifting her wings in a dance she seemed to know every turn too, but had never done nor seen before.  When the dance ended she was filled with a burning desire to find the other dragons. And even though Katya wasn’t sure where they were, she knew that she should at least try to find them.

Katya opened her eyes, she was back in the shelter she had made and was ready to leave as soon as it turned light. She had packed some food together, that would last a pretty long time. She yawned and stretched ready to begin her journey. The only problem was her mother, and after long consideration, Katya decided to leave her on the mountain, where she would most likely starve to death. 

Katya stretched her wings, ready for take-off. She lifted her pack in her jaws and lifted it into the air.

Katya loved flying, just soaring through the air, her wings cutting through the clouds, and the breeze blowing in her face. She did a few spirals as warm-ups and then started racing as fast as she could through the clouds. She sped over trees and towns, surprised at her speed. She swerved and curved around the sky staring everywhere. She doubted a dragon would be this close to humans but she still looked.

After an hour or so Katya began to get bored and tired so she landed on the ground. Her stomach rumbled loudly and Katya realized just how hungry she was. She opened her pack and took out some of the berries she had found. Not very filling perhaps but at least they were better than meat. She finished and purred happily, her claws covered in sticky red berry juice. She started to lick off the extra liquid.

“Don't MOVE BEAST!” police jumped out at me followed by Sir. they both looked at my claws and the police officer growled. “Now you’ve gone too far. You’ve killed a person! And we know who you’ve killed, monster. You killed a child. You ate KATYA STONE.”

Katya leaped back they think I killed myself? Sir walked up to her with the translator in his hand.  Katya growled and took a few steps backward, spreading her wings in an attempt to look larger and more menacing. But Sir sent her a look that clearly said, Look, I don't want to hurt you, so if you let me do this- I may be able to convince them. Katya reluctantly stopped growling and stood still. He fastened it to Katya’s neck. “Go on.” he spoke softly, “tell us why you did it.”

Katya stared at him as Sir rushed away, maybe he wasn't quite as bad as she had assumed. “Look, I don’t know what you think I did. But I didn’t do it!” she claimed, starting to edge away from the humans. She was planning to take flight and try in a desperate attempt to catch the humans off guard. 

“Stop your lying! I know you did it! Where is Katya Stone now if you didn’t kill her?” The police officer argued, Sir's face fell, but he didn't try to stop anything when the officer yelled; “Capture her!” as soon as he yelled the order people sprang up and started covering Katya with nets and ropes. And before she knew what was happening she was being hauled into a truck for the second time in three days. The truck sped through bumpy road after bumpy road with its sirens blaring. Katya felt like crying as she was tossed from side to side in the back of the large truck, her wings and limbs all pressed tight against her body. Why had she even thought she could find the dragons? They were probably long gone. And now she was going to die, accused of murder. But no matter how much Katya wanted to cry, she had to stay strong and get out of this mess. But what would she do when she did escape? She tried to lie down, but she couldn't move. This was pointless. Her life was pointless. Why didn’t she just let them kill her?

The answer was that Katya had never been truly happy, but as a dragon, she had found something she never had as a human and she didn’t want to give that up. As a dragon she wasn’t Katya, she was just a dragon and that was what Katya wanted. She was free, no one could tell her anything. She didn’t need to find another dragon she could be Katya and just Katya. All alone.

Katya looked up, planning on melting a hole in the ceiling of the truck, it had worked last time. What she forgot was that she was covered in ropes and nets. So when she tried to melt the ceiling, the ropes caught on fire. Katya roared even more in panic and tried to beat the flames out with her wings, but doing this just gave her a flashback- of the worst night in Katya's life. 

The flames rose around Katya and she sobbed she was only 5 “KATYA” a voice called through the smoke. Her father’s voice, calling to her. “DADA” little Katya called back her sobs echoing through the burning apartment. Her father ran towards Katya “Katya! Now come here, quickly!” Katya wobbled over the burning wreckage and her father scooped her up. And he ran- quickly ducking and weaving through falling and burning things while both of them coughed and choked in the thick smoke. to the opening in the burning building. Right as they were leaving a beam collapsed right in front of them. Her father threw her and was about to jump out himself when the whole building collapsed “DADA!” Katya called, tears streaming down her face as she hit the ground. All the air was knocked out of her as she abruptly blacked out. 

Katya pulled herself away from the sorrow, cursing herself, That was a while ago. she breathed in deeply, You are no longer how you once were. You aren't a little girl anymore. She distracted her mind enough to notice that she couldn’t feel the fire. She could feel the heat pressing against her scales but it wasn’t burning her, if anything it was almost comforting.  She also noticed the fire was doing absolutely nothing to the truck. It wasn’t even melting the metal. Well, that's strange, but just something new, I guess. Katya thought. Settling down in the burning nets. Katya’s mind must have been working slow because it took her a few minutes to realize that the nets and ropes had burned away and were now a smoldering pile. I'm free? Katya wondered, even though she knew she wasn’t completely free. Katya roared but instead of roaring she heard a voice “LET ME OUT, YOU MANGY HUMANS!” Is that what I was really saying? Katya was a little shocked since she forgot that she had the translator on.

“QUIET YOU BEAST!” The officer’s voice screamed back at her. Katya whimpered a little, what were they planning on doing to her? She doubted they would be doing what Sir was since they thought she had been eating a human. She scowled, at least she was getting the adventure she had been hoping for all her life. Suddenly, the truck went over a particularly large bump in the road, and Katya was thrown into the air- yelping as she hit the ceiling. She heard a crunch as she landed back on the ground and pain exploded up her right wing. She tried to move it, but she could, barely. So it's not broken. Probably really badly sprained Katya concluded, trying to stand. The truck suddenly stopped and this time she was thrown forward onto her right-wing Well, now it's broken, she thought as her wing was twisted completely backward. She struggled to stand, her right-wing dangling uselessly. The doors were thrown open then they shut quickly with a crack. What was THAT for? Oh, wait, no ropes...

The doors opened again and Katya saw a horde of people standing there with nets and ropes galore. Sir entered the truck and dragged Katya out with a rope tied to her neck. She didn’t even try to fight. She knew that even if she won she wouldn’t be able to fly because of her wing- which hurt too much to even try to move. As soon as she was out of the truck people dove on her and started wrapping her up with nets and ropes again. Katya growled, wincing with pain as they repeatedly banged her right wing. Katya wished she could be somewhere- anywhere but here. she was dragged onto a cart, and wheeled into the large white building in front of her. Katya dreaded what was inside but was unable to fight the many humans holding her down. 

As soon as she entered the building Katya was hit with a wall of worry, she knew something was wrong and that this was basically an execution place for animals like her, ones that were dangerous or strange. now for the first time since she had broken her wing, Katya tried to fight, and she tried so hard but the ropes and nets were just too strong for her to break in her weakened state. her cart was pushed into a huge elevator and by now Katya knew there was no way out.

the elevator dinged and began shooting at an unnatural pace upwards. Katya heard various noises from the floors that were quickly passing. animal screams filled her ears and Katya whimpered, trying to make the noises leave her mind. The elevator, without even slowing down, banged to a stop and the doors opened. reveling a clean corridor with white walls, floors, and lights. the humans pushed the carts into the corridor and started chatting. Katya noticed that by now most of the people had left and now only Sir and two assistants were left. Katya was wheeled into a room labeled: Examination. 

the humans but shackles around Katya's forelegs and wings. then the two assistants left, leaving only Katya and Sir in the room. Katya growled and to her surprise, Sir answered her "Go on, say something I know you can" He pleaded 

Katya stared resentfully at him "Fine. Why did you bring me here anyways? I never killed anyone- so just, why?"

Sir sighed "It is a little difficult to understand, dragon. I know you never killed anyone but that doesn't mean you won't. It would be safer just to" He stopped suddenly remembering that she could understand him.

"what- What would be safer, killing me? Is that what you're planning?" Katya spat

Sir looked a little panicked "NO- I- we- no. Not kill you exactly, just to, well I bet you understand-"

"stop" Katya snarled "just stop, I really don't care anymore." and that was mostly the truth. Katya suddenly felt chills and she didn't want Sir to finish his sentence, well she mostly didn't. 

Sir looked like he had been saved. "anyway me and my team, well I have put together a series of questions we would like you to answer then we can figure out what to do with you. Ready?" Katya nodded "alright first question- What are you exactly and are there others of your kind?"

Katya thought about it. "I'm a dragon- I mean I guess. But I don't know if there are others of my kind."

Sir looked intrigued "did your parents die, or are you not sure if they did or didn't?"

Katya felt that right here it was best to lie "uh, yeah they died." 

Sir rubbed his face, "Okay, next, how old are you?" 

"15" Katya didn't feel that she really needed to lie for this question since Sir didn't really know much about dragons. 

"alright. So, I need time to analyze what you said and think of " Sir stopped talking and left. But as he was leaving he called over his shoulder "and my team will move you to a different cage, alright?" but he didn't stay to hear what Katya said. 

Katya sat there awkwardly by herself for about another hour, when finally Sir's assistants came and put a collar around Katya's neck like a dog, besides the fact that she was about 9 ft tall. They moved her to what looked like a  jail cell and locked her in there. The jail cell was 10 feet tall and 10 feet long and 9 ft wide. There were bars on her sides and the front, so she could see into the cells next to her. The back wall was a white stone with a window high up in the wall.

"Oh, and dragon-master said to ask you what you like to eat." the taller of the two assistants asked.

"Uhh, berries or anything but fish," Katya said, slightly distracted by the new room. They nodded and walked away. Katya circled a few times, trying to get comfortable but was distracted again when they brought in another creature and locked it in the cell next to her. 

Katya crept closer trying to get a better look and when she did her eyes winded. The creature was a sand-colored dragon. with long claws and a handsome face. The new dragon had dark onyx eyes that gleamed with light, despite being locked in a jail. 

"Hello," Katya whispered as the Humans left. 

The new dragon jumped with shock "hello- uhh what's your name?"

"Katya, yours?"

"I am Casimir" Said Casimir leaning forward and sticking his snout through the bars. "I didn't know there were other dragons in this world, are there more of you Katya?" 

Katya took a startled step back, before approaching the bars again, "No. What do you mean, 'this world?'"

Casimir looked a bit shocked "Your a dragon and you don't know about Kyria?"

"Kyria?" Katya asked even more confused

"Yea, where all the dragons went after the humans kicked them out. And Kyria, one of the only survivors of the five? You didn't know about that?" Casimir ranted, 

Katya shook her head "No, but you should be a bit more quiet, or someone might come." 

Casimir nodded and his eyes strayed to her neck "You have one too?" he groaned indicating the translator. 

"Yeah, why?" Katya asked, rather confused. 

"Because now the humans can understand what you say! And who knows! Read you're mind maybe!" Casimir started freaking out as if it was such a bad thing. 

Katya stared at him strangely, "I think they give the translators to everything."

"uh huh. If you say so" Casimir sat down stubbornly, not looking at Katya.

Katya was about to say something else but Sir walked in with a huge bowl of food he opened Katya's cell and saw her and Casimir leaning towards each other "Well dragon, looks like you made a friend," Sir smirked, put the food down and left. 

Katya quickly moved away from Casimir's cell, refusing to acknowledge anything Sir had said. she moved towards her food and peered inside. In the silver bowl, there was a collection of berries and a large piece of steak. 

"hm, looks like you get better food than me. Although that may be just because you're new, I guess they may  " Casimir said, startling Katya. 

"Why, what do you get?" Katya asked peering into his cell. Casimir indicated a pile of bloody mush shoved into a bowl And Katya quickly moved away.  

Katya took out a strawberry, it looked small in her large talons. She gulped it down. When nothing happened Katya quickly devoured the rest of her food. When she was done, Katya moved to a corner, lay down, and closed her eyes.

I think Casimir is an amazing character. What do you guys think?

1