Chapter 8
33 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Katya stepped through the threshold. She gazed around the 3-room cabin, it was faintly scratched in her memory. The main room was, rather comfy-looking, it had a semi-circle of cushy armchairs and couches around a stone fire-pit, which her grandfather had just lit with a quick spark shooting from his fingertips. Now, the fire illuminated the room and only a few cold shadows in the corners remained. and now she could see that a collection of oak desks lined the walls. 

Katya approached one and brushed it with her fingertips. It felt to be exactly like her old desk at her old house. a voice came from behind her, "ah, yes you are thinking of your dragon desk." 

Katya whipped around and saw her grandfather standing behind her. "T-t-The dragon desk?" she stuttered.

"yes," said his grandfather, "The dragon desk. I make magic desks, rarely though they are used for what I intended. Which is indeed what you used it for." 

Katya looked slightly confused, "It was meant for carving?"

Her grandfather smiled, "yes, well that is what unlocks the magic I put in them." 

"You mean if I carve one of these desks I will turn back into a dragon?" she asked.

Her grandfather didn't answer the question, instead, he asked, "So that is what you want? To become a dragon again?" Katya nodded, and Her grandfather continued, " Well I CAN turn you back into a dragon if that is what you truly want."

Katya nodded vigorously, "YES!!! Plesseeeeeee...."

Her grandfather chuckled, "very well, very well. But I must warn you: if you are turned DIRECTLY into  dragon you might not be able to turn back human."

Katya shrugged, "So? I really truly hated being human." 

Her grandfather chuckled again. He started mumbling incohesive words, and Katya felt herself bending and stretching as she slowly changed from human to the dragon for the third time. And then, she was standing outside with her grandfather standing beside her, smiling up at her. 

"Thank you," Katya whispered. she spread her wings and launched herself back up into the air.

Katya felt like what felt like an entire 5 hours searching for Casimir. She knew it wasn't his fault that he had been so unpleasant when she was human, and honestly, she couldn't blame him. She might even have done the same if it had been Casimir who had become human. 

But when she did find him, he lept on her with happiness, "KATYA! I-I am SO SORRY!!! It-it was my fault- I- I'll never- wait... Your Dragon Again!!!!!" 

Katya smiled, "Miss me much?" Casimir whapped her with his tail, " and yeah, I am dragon again. Got a problem?"

Casimir pulled away from her, "well no it's just how?" 

She smiled again, "come here, I will tell you everything." and she did, (although she DID leave out some parts).
By the end of the story, Casimir was shocked to just about silence, but he did say one thing: "wow, I never thought- well, HUMANS? with magical powers?"  

Katya nodded, "yeah, humans with powers don't ask me how though, because I honestly have no idea."

Casimir hugged her, "I am just glad you're back." he whispered softly into her ear, "it doesn't matter how you got back, it's just amazing you're back." 

Katya hugged him back, "and I'm glad that I'm back too. It is nice to be with you again."

Casimir smiled and backed slightly away from her. "What should we do now?" he asked her.

But Katya didn't have an answer, " I really don't know, what do you think?"

Casimir laughed, "That is why I asked you!! But I do think we should just keep moving if anything."

Katya lifted her shoulders in a shrug. "I mean I guess but what I want to do is get a bit more information about Kyria, and if I can I want to get to Kyria." 

"Kyria? well, we don't really know HOW to get to Kyria. and don't we have to kill someone?" Casimir asked, with a slightly confused tone.  

Katya was about to say something else, but a strange smell filled her nostrils, "are those... cookies?" she thought aloud, and indeed the smell was like burning cookies. 

Casimir lifted his snout to the air, "cackies? what are: cackies?" 

Katya looked at him, "y'know, cookies, they're like," she made a circle shape with her talons, "this big, and you eat them. They taste like really good."

Casimir shook his head, his spines rattling, " No... I don't know what cooookies are." 

Katya shook her head also, bewildered, "Nah, I guess it dosen't matter too much." 

Casimir shrugged, "I mean I guess. but what would make the smell of burning coaaakiesss"

coaaakieessss. Pronounced: COO AH KEYS

Katya started creeping t words the smell, and she saw a random batch of cookies. sitting on the ground, "What in the-?" she muttered as she read a note attached to the batch of cookies. 

Dear Katya, 

I have discovered that you are a dragon again.

... 

good for you, I am so happy for you. and as a present I gift to you these monstrosities. 

Your dearest friend

Kai

Katya showed the note to Casimir, "you think they are safe to eat?" she asked him.

"No, probably poisoned or something." He said.

Katya smiled, "yeah I guess so, I kinda doubt he is trying to be friends with us. I bet it is more of a 'we are enemies now! DIE DIE!'"

Casimir fell onto his back, legs waving around in the air, Katya looked at him, "wow, remind me to never be funny around you again." she said, smirking. 

"alright alright! I'll calm down!" Casimir yelped, actually calming down. "I think we should get rid of these. What do you think?"

Katya looked at the cookies, "definitely" she agreed, tossing them as far as she could, and cookies scattered everywhere. 

Casimir gazed at their surroundings, "do you think he's near us?" 

Katya stared at some of the bushes near them, "I mean, I guess he could be here, but why?" 

Casimir shrugged, "I dunno, Kai is kinda weird." 

Katya sniggered, "I have a feeling that Kai would not like you talking about him like that! you meanie!" she teased.

Casimir smiled but his smile soon wavered, "but seriously, do you think Kai could really be hiding somewhere?" he lowered his voice creepily, "listening to our every move-" 

Katya hit him with her wing, "stop it! and yes he could be hiding, waiting for the right time to strike, but we don't need to worry ourselves over it!"

Casimir smiled, "I know, I just want to creep you out!"

"well you certainly aren't going to succeed in doing that!" she said.

"am I late for the party?" a voice stated from above them.

Katya glanced upwards and saw Kai spiraling down from the sky. "Kai!" she hissed at him.

Kai smirked as he landed with a soft thump, on the ground. "Yes, it is Kai the most brilliant and wonderful, and great cookie baker, dragon who ever lived!" 

Casimir stepped forward, an expression that clearly was a war expression, on his face. "What do you want Kai?" he growled, But Kai wasn't scared and he didn't show any sign of terror or submission. instead, he just started leisurely walking around Katya and Casimir.

As he walked Kai spoke in a soft, cool voice. "I know some things that Katay kept from you, some serious things. But- it isn't like that matters, right? we are BESTIES now! especially after that masterpiece of a batch of cookies I gave you." he smirked even wider, "and I am sure that you ate them anyway..." Kai approached Katya and placed a claw right under her chin, carefully he lifted her face to his, "hmmm," he mused, "not a single trace of human left in you." 

Casimir snarled, and Kai quickly removed his claw and stepped away from Katya. Then he resumed his pacing, as Casimir continued growling like a ticked-off dog. "Go away, Kai." Casimir's voice surprised Katya as she wasn't expecting him to speak. 

Kai lept back faining being scared, "oh NO! baddie Cassi out to get me! must run must run!" then he sneered, "of course Cassi, that HAS been what you and your girlfriend have been doing, huh?" 

Casimir shook his head, "no there is a difference between being a coward and staying alive." 
Kai's eyes widened, "OHHHH, looks like we're being sassy now? weellll, aint you gunna gat in trooblue with mommy huh?"

Katya stepped forward, "I dunno if you're deaf your sumit but Casimir told you to GO AWAY." 

"HUH? what was that?" Kai teased.

Katay stamped her foot, "Stop saying huh! it gets so annoying! and GET OUT!"

"get out? I dunno if you see what I see but tis aint no build'n?" Kai looked around wildly like an idiot.

"You know what I meant Kai. Stop being a jerk to everyone and everything around you!" 

Kai whistled, "Are we saying swear words now? bet your momma wouldn't like you saying bad words like jerk huh?" 

"It is NOT a 'bad word', jerk."

"AND BAM you just said it again!"

: you're acting like a little kid!"

"Nooooo- me? a little kid?"

"yes."

"really a little HUMAN kid. and how Katya would you know what they act like? being a dragon and all."

Katya rolled her eyes, easily becoming bored of the conversation. 

"awww wittle Katy, not wanting to" Kai just wouldn't let it go. 

but he was acting like a little too- no a lot too much like her old enemy, Chloe. without thinking, Katya lunged at kai and tackled him to the ground. He gasped as she held her talons to his throat. "say that again," she snarled into his ear "and I will bite your face off." Kai just kept gasping, trying not to suffocate. "OH stop you're gasping, it will take an entire 5 minutes for me to kill you this way!!!" she proclaimed in a cheerful tone.

Kai screwed up his face and stopped breathing, this had the intended effect, Katya was so surprised she lept away from him and Kai launched himself into the air. He looked hatefully down at Katya as he flew higher and higher until he was just a spec, quickly fading out of sight. Katya looked at Casimir, "You know," she started, "we never found the tracker." 

Casimir nodded, "you reckon we still have it on us?" 

Katya shrugged, "I mean how else did he find us?" 

"I guess so..." 

Katya smiled at Casimir, "but how about we don't worry about it right now, I have a feeling that we need to move AGAIN." 

Casimir nodded, "wellll, I mean we probably should find the-"

He was interrupted by a loud chittering, Katya looked up to the tree right next to them 

In it was a fluffy squirrel in the tree it had large glinting black eyes and a grey fluffy coat. The squirrel had a long fluffy tail that was curved in an elegant arc. "A SQUIRLL" Katya squealed, and Casimir looked at her strangely.

"A squirrel?" he repeated, " You are fangirling over a squirrel?" 

Katya flew up to it, amazingly it didn't scurry away. She went closer and stared into the depths of its black void. "Hello there!" she whispered softly. The squirrel stared at her, she flew to a nearby bush and carefully plucked off a berry, trying hard not to squish it. she flew back over to the squirrel and fed it the berry.

It squeaked with delight as Katya cooed, Casimir snorted. and flames burst out of his nostrils. "WHAT? she asked whiningly.

Casimir cracked a smile, "It's just- a squirrel?"

Katya smiled also, "welll it is CuTe!" 

Casimir shook his head, "never mind but we really should just get a move on."

Katya nodded sadly "I guess we should, but do we have to?" she looked back to her new squirell friend. And her face fell, "sorry buddy" she whispered. "Guess I have to leave"

Casimir nodded "let's go." he spread his wings and took off, and Katya followed suit. But before she could lift off into the air the squirrel scurried off the branch and landed with a plop on Katya's back. she smiled and made sure the squirrel was safely secured onto her back. then she spread her wings again and took off after Casimir. 

It felt like she had been flying for hours, but she knew that they did have to get far away, and try to throw off the tracker- they were idiots. not trying to remove the tracker.. But it seemed like even the squirrel on her back was tired of holding onto her spikes, and its grip was slipping.

"ALMOST THERE!" Casimir yelled behind his shoulder. and this time Kataya hoped he was telling the truth, for it was starting to rain and the sun was setting, casting a red glow onto the horizon. 

She glanced back up to the grey clouds above her as the next few drops landed on her snout. "Casimir!" she grumble-yelled, "when are we going to land?" 

Casimir looked like he was struggling too, but he was struggling even more not to show it, "I dunno I think we can do a few more miles, right? what about you?" 

"Me?" Katya grumbled, "since when on this flight did you care about me," but then she spoke louder, "OH I'm not sure- but I do think we should land soon because of the rain.
Casimir nodded as if this all made sense to him. and he dove back down to the ground. 

as Katya lowered herself she could see just how far they had traveled, now they were soaring over the beach which was a decent amount of distance from where Katya had started her journey. The squirrel on her back was squirrel squeaking in distress. Katya bent her entire body like an arrow and went shooting down to earth. the squirrel on her back was screaming in squirrelly-language. She touched the ground and her squirrel friend slid off her back, relieved.  She smiled at the squirrel as it wobbled on unsteady legs. 

Casimir was staring at her, "wow..." he started, but then saw Kayya looking at him and he shook his head, "its just- a squirrel? really..."

Katya laughed as Casimir trailed off, "just ignore it right? we don't have to focus on that right now." 

"aahhhh who cares? you reckon were safe from Kai here?" Casimir asked examing his claws. 

Katya looked at him strangely, "Well if we do have a tracker it doesn't matter too much." 

Casimir rolled his eyes, "I know, but if there weren't a tracker would he find us?"

"well probaly not idoit."  Katya said. The squirll scruiid up her foreleg. Katya laughed as its fluffy fur tickled her scales. I wonder what humans would do to a creature like this if it grew horns or wings. She wondered as the squirrel curled up between two of her spikes. "Now what we need to give you a name." she looked up at Casimir, 'what do you think we should name him?" 

Casimir looked surprised that she was asking him, "w-well- oh I dunno, how about Dunkin?"

Katya wrinkled up her nose, "Ewww... NO!"

"well what do you want to name him?" he inquired, tilting his head.

"literally anything but Dunkin."

"how about Fluffly-mc-buns?"

"NOOOOO!!!!"

"what- it's not like you're coming up with anything! well what do you want?" 

"I don't know that's why I am asking you!"

"How about Stormy? "

"FINE. but it is just because we can't come up with anything else. don't get a big head."

"Me a big head?" 

"yes." Katya turned her attention to the squirrel, newly named Storm. Storm flopped to the ground and started running in circles, "Storm! calm down!" Katya whispered. and to her astonishment Storm listened and plopped herself down on the ground. Katya smiled and fed Storm a berry from her pack as a treat.

"Katya!" Casimir yelled and Katya saw that he was standing near a pile of fresh mud and pointing with his front talon at some kind of footprint in ti. "A human footprint." he whisper-yelled as Katya got closer. She crouched down and stared into the footprint it was definitely human as no animal would have a footprint like that. 

"Who do you think made it?" she asked Casimir and he shrugged, so she asked another question, "do you think they are still here somewhere? watching us? do you think it is Kai?"  Casimir answered this with another shrug and Katya sank closer to the ground, this time sniffing the footprint. "definitely not Kai's. It is pure human with not even a trace of apple or dragon." 

Casimir crouched down and sniffed too. He confirmed Katya's guess with a nod. "I think you're right. but it doesn't seem like Sir either so maybe like  a local or something."

Katya nodded but she still felt like the footprint was hiding something, Don't be silly! she chided herself it is just an indent in the mud! Katya shook her head and walked as far as she could away from the footprint, trying not to think what it could mean. She circled before lying down and covering her nose with her tail, she laughed inwardly as she thought about how much she was acting like a dog. But her last thought wasn't happy or funny as her eyes strayed to the footprint, and reluctantly she closed her eyes, the image of it burned in her mind

1