The stranger from out of town – Chapter 2
17 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dust and twilight hung in the air as the nameless cowboy trudged wearily into the dusty frontier town. The golden sun, now a fiery orb on the western horizon, cast long, stretching shadows along the weathered wooden boardwalks and low-slung buildings. His journey through the arid desert had left him covered from head to toe in a fine layer of ochre dust, and every step he took stirred up small eddies of dirt beneath his boots.

The townsfolk paused in their activities to watch as this stranger entered their midst. Their curious glances followed him, from the saloon with its swinging doors to the general store's cluttered window displays. The rhythmic creak of the town's lone windmill was the only sound that broke the stillness.

As he moved through the town, the nameless cowboy seemed an enigmatic figure, his rugged silhouette defined by the dusty backdrop. His leather jacket, once black but now more a hue of earthy brown, billowed in the soft breeze, and his Stetson hat was adorned with a layer of dust along it's rim, as if it had seen more sunsets than most could imagine.

With each powerful step, dust clung to his worn, leather boots and swirled around him in a transient halo, giving the impression of a man forged from the very elements of the desert itself. His piercing eyes, set beneath a brim stained by the harsh sun, remained hidden, leaving the townsfolk to wonder about the man beneath the layers of grit.

The nameless cowboy cast a sweeping gaze over the town before finally spotting the saloon. He calmly patted of the dust on his jacket before entering the fine establishment. The saloon doors swung open, and a hush fell over the dimly lit establishment as the nameless cowboy stepped inside. His worn leather boots thudded against the creaky wooden floor, and the sound echoed through the smoky, lantern-lit room. The chatter of card players and the clinking of glasses ceased as all eyes turned to the mysterious figure entering their midst.

The scent of whiskey and cigar smoke hung heavy in the air as the cowboy's dusty silhouette filled the doorway. His leather jacket, battered and browned by the unforgiving sun, brushed against the frame, shedding a small cloud of dust that swirled in the lamplight before settling on the floor.

Beneath the brim of his weathered Stetson, his eyes remained hidden in the shadows. A bandana covered the lower half of his face, leaving only a stern jawline visible. The deep lines on his face told a tale of countless days spent beneath the harsh Western sun, and the weight of unspoken stories seemed to hang in the air around him.

The patrons returned to their drinks and games, though they kept a watchful eye on the newcomer. The bartender, a burly man with a well-kept mustache, nodded in silent acknowledgment and poured a shot of whiskey into a dusty glass.

As the nameless cowboy approached the bar, the wooden floorboards groaned under his boots. He placed a coin on the scarred counter, and the bartender slid the glass over to him. The cowboy's gloved hand reached out, and the glass disappeared beneath the cover of his palm for a moment, then in a swift motion he downed the drink. When it reemerged, the glass was empty.

The bartender's eyes narrowed, he then spoke in a rough and grizzled tone

"What's your name outlaw?"

The nameless outlaw slowly removed his Stetson hat revealing a dirt filled brown hairdo. He removed the dust removed form his hat and said

"You can call me Luga... Yeah Luga is the name"

The bartender nodded and calmly served another drink to Luga. The bartender's mustached twitched

"We don't see many outlaws in these parts, that's why there was such a fuss whenever you walked into town. So mind answering a few questions? If you do I'll give you a shot for free."

Luga slowly enjoyed his shot as he spoke. 

"I can manage that."

The bartender smirked as he passed the outlaw his free shot before declaring

"So young man, why are you stopping this little old town"

Luga took a small sip of his shot, as if he was trying to preserve it before he casually spoke

"Need a simple restock, after that I'll be out of y'all's hair"

Luga then looked at the bartender who had a shining dome instead of hair before silently chuckling to himself. The bartender didn't seem to notice this as he said in a deep tone.

"So young man, what's your main element?"

Luga glanced upwards at the bartender before inquiring

"Not many people would ask a question like that... you must have an sheriff who comes here often huh."

The bartender raised his eyebrow as Luga calmly dodged the question. He shrugged it off as he answered his question.

"Yep we got two in this town, one is getting old but he has an apprentice who is probably around your age."

Luga nodded as he finished his shot in one swallow. He then finished the conversation with a simple dual part question

"Hey do you know where I can buy some ammo and supplies?"

The bartender rubbed the back of his neck as he begrudgingly spoke

"You gotta be trustworthy in order to get our water but I can get you some food n' alcohol while down the street there is a gun store"

Luga nodded and gave the bartender an nice tip as thanks before putting his hat back on

"Mind getting me something to go, I'm going to check out that store"

The bartender nodded and took Luga's cup before shuffling into a door behind the counter. Luga looked around at the rest of the customers, their initial weariness had disappeared leading to the joyful banter of the saloon to echo throughout the town. Luga casually made his way out while double checking all his essentials from his trusty pocket knife to his revolver. The creak of the saloon door and the cool hum of the wind made Luga truly feel like an outlaw.

With the brisk wind kicking up dust on the sun-baked streets of the Wild West town, Luga adjusted his Stetson hat and strode purposefully toward the ammunition store. The wooden planks of the boardwalk creaked beneath the weight of his boots as he moved through the baren town, his spurs announcing his presence with each step.

The store was a modest, weathered building with a sign that creaked and swayed in the wind, bearing the faded words "Wilkins Ammunitions." As Luga pushed open the doors, a bell above jingled, and the sweet scent of gunpowder and oiled leather washed over him.

Inside, the store was lined with racks of rifles, shotguns, and handguns, their blued steel and polished wood gleaming in the soft lamplight. Shelves held neatly arranged boxes of ammunition, from small-caliber bullets to the hefty shells used by hunters and lawmen. Glass cases displayed a variety of finely crafted revolvers and other firearms, their handles decorated with intricate designs.

The store's proprietor, an older man with grizzled hair and a well-worn apron, looked up from behind the counter. His eyes bore the wisdom of many years spent in this trade, and he regarded Luga with a nod of acknowledgment.

Luga approached the counter, the heels of his boots clicking on the creaky wooden floor. He removed his hat and set it down, revealing his rough, sun-weathered face. "Mornin'," he greeted, his voice low and gruff.

"Mornin' to you, stranger," the storekeeper replied. "What can I help you with today?"

Luga leaned on the counter, his gloved hand resting near a display of finely tooled holsters. "I'm in need of a few essentials," he said.

"Some .45 caliber cartridges, some gunpowder in a canister, and perhaps a bit of oil for my trusty companion."

The storekeeper nodded and began gathering the requested items, packaging them carefully in a brown paper bag. "Anything else I can do for you?"

Luga's gaze wandered over the array of firearms and accessories. "Nothin' today," he replied, a hint of wanting in his eyes. "Sadly I won't be coming bac to this fine establishment"

With the bag of supplies in hand, Luga nodded to the storekeeper, his gratitude unspoken but understood. As he left the ammunition store, the batwing doors swung closed behind him, and the town continued its lively, dust-filled existence. Luga dropped by the saloon and happily paid for a small ration of food which he hid inside his jacket. Luga left the kind town in a good mood.

As Luga stepped out of the bustling town, the sun had started its descent towards the horizon, casting long shadows across the arid landscape. Dust swirled around his boots as he made his way along the sun-bleached trail. It was then that he heard the approaching hoofbeats of horses, growing louder with each passing moment.

Emerging from the swirling dust were two riders, the older man in the familiar attire of a seasoned sheriff, his badge glinting in the fading light, and the younger, his apprentice, who bore a striking resemblance to Luga only with softer features. They reined in their horses and regarded the lone cowboy with a mixture of curiosity and recognition.

The old sheriff, his eyes shaded by the brim of his hat, nodded in greeting. "Evening, stranger. Name's Sheriff Carter. And this here is my apprentice, Mani."

Luga acknowledged the sheriff with a tip of his hat. "Evenin', Sheriff. Name's Luga. Pleasure to meet you, Mani."

Mani, about the same age as Luga and with a face that was full of ambition, extended a hand in a firm handshake.

"Likewise, Luga. You look like a man who's seen his fair share of the West."

Luga's eyes met Mani's, and there was a shared understanding between the two men. "Aye, that I have," Luga felt Mani's softer hand, it was powerful and had a solid grip but the inexperience was obvious

Sheriff Carter studied Luga for a moment. "Well, Luga, we're headin' out to check on the outlying ranches, make sure everything's peaceful. You're welcome to join us if you like."

Luga considered the offer, his gaze drifting over the wide expanse of the desert that lay ahead. "Might be I could use a change of pace," he said, finally. "I reckon I'll ride with you, Sheriff."

The sun dipped below the horizon as the three riders set off together, the horse's hooves kicked up dust on the trail. In the fading light of the Wild West, the stories of the unknown cowboy, the old sheriff, and his apprentice converged, as they rode together into the unknown, bound by the common thread of the frontier and the secrets it held.

Mani broke the silence between the group with a very simple question

"So Luga, what are you doing in the west"

Luga looked at Carter the Sheriff who was the only one on horseback. Luga spoke a half-truth

"I'm out here hunting outlaws"

Mani audibly gasped in excitement as he quickly asked

"Do you have any stories!?", "Who was the toughest man you've dueled!", "Why did you start bounty hunting!"

Carter tapped Mani with his shoe to snap him out of his excitement. Carter then spoke for Mani

"Mani's always wanted to be a bounty hunter but since he was so skilled he became my apprentice."

Mani couldn't hold his pestering as he asked Luga

"So what's your main element, I use water!"

Luga sighed, Mani was far to excited to think straight so Luga walked over and chopped Mani on the forehead 

"Listen Mani, you should keep your main element a secret at all times. It should be your trump card, but because of your excitement... my main element is fire. Now don't tell anyone"

Mani nodded excitedly, his previous serious demeanor he had when they met seemed to disappear. Carter then chuckled

"Welp Mani if Luga is ok with it how about y'all duel. I got some rubber bullets on me"

Mani didn't say anything but immediately looked at Luga with puppy dog eyes. Luga thought for a second before stating

"Why not, I should see your skill if we are going to travel for a while"

0