Boring Story Time – Chapter 4
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The night was uneventful and relaxing. Luga decided to not wake Mani for his shift, Luga slowly but painstakingly managed to imbue half the bullets in the bag. Suddenly his stomach growled in anger after the energy consuming task. Luga then heard a voice from below him, Luga shook his head to fight away his drowsiness before looking down to see Carter casually cooking a collection of kebabs. Luga must've gotten to focused if he didn't hear him hunting. Luga took off his rugged boots with their golden spurs. He then tossed them onto the ground below with a hefty drop. Luga then carefully slid down the rock side with his soles getting punctured by the jagged rocks. 

Luga stumbled when he reached the sand, he bit his bottom lip to prevent a groan of pain before he calmly put on his boots with a smile. Carter then chuckled.

"How did that one work out for you chap?"

Luga double checked all his items making sure he didn't drop anything. "It worked."

Carter calmly nodded as he spoke "That it did... Mani is out hunting in order to practice his shooting. Sit down and grab you some food if you're desperate, if you aren't sit down and try to ignore the smell"

Luga sat down on the sand before asking "What animal is this one?"

Carter reached into his pocket and pulled out a collection of teeth "Coyote."

Luga nodded as he grabbed a skewer and forced himself the eat the scavenger's rubbery meat, Carter then calmly asked

"So you're a bounty hunter right... So what are you hunting right now?"

Luga reached into the inner pocket of his jacket and pulled out a worn and tattered piece of paper. Unfolding it carefully, he revealed a wanted poster that had seen its fair share of the unforgiving frontier.

The poster was a stark contrast to the desolation of the wilderness, featuring a caricature of a goofy-looking man with a devilish grin. "Luck the Gambler" was emblazoned at the top in bold, ornate letters. The man's eyes sparkled with mischief, his crooked grin belying the danger that surely lurked beneath. His face was framed by unruly, mop-like hair, and a dapper top hat perched atop his head.

The paper had aged and weathered over time, the edges worn and frayed as if it had witnessed countless miles in the saddle. The corners bore creases, and a small tear near the bottom corner hinted at past encounters with rough living.

Beneath the caricature of "Luck the Gambler," the wanted poster listed a bounty that left no doubt about the man's nefarious reputation. It read: "WANTED: Dead Only - $2,500."

Luga's gaze fixed on the poster, his eyes reflecting a mixture of contemplation and resolve. As the fire crackled Carter responded with a dry.

"Luck huh... he's been a problem for a while, reward is nice as well but from how old that paper is."

Luga nodded confirming the old sheriff's thought, Carter spoke "Is it a story you are willing to tell?" Luga folded up the paper before placing it back into it's pocket. "I use to have a... scratch that." The old sheriff understood the simple implication and didn't prod any further into Luga's life. The old man then spoke.

"Young man... want to hear a story?" Luga nodded as Carter continued "So as you know we are going to check up on the nearby ranch to make sure everything is nice n' tidy. Well in the past that ranch was home to a large oil baron, and this is when I was around your age but that aside."

"The oil baron was living in a large mansion with a barn right beside it, he owned nearly all the land from there to our town, causing the trek from one to another to take so long. Well short story is I was walking around the mansion as I was hired by the Baron. Well apparently that man had caught himself a good bit of trouble and after word got out of the Baron's new abode nearly a hundred separate hired guns and outlaws all came to his footstep for revenge!"

Luga chuckled slightly and jokingly asked "Did you fight them all off by yourself?" Carter in a serious rebuttal spoke

"Yep that exactly what happened..."

[Carter looked around him, he was surrounded on all sides with his only protection being the door of the mansion behind him. His only positive being that the men surrounding him didn't care about him. Carter clutched his shotgun that has been passed down through his family for generations. Carter then quickly kicked down the left side of the double door and using the right side as cover. He then fired at the sand with his shotgun only for the bullet to explode into an eruption of water causing the sand to become a muddy mixture. The mercenaries took this as an act of aggression as they started firing at the door. Carter dived forward as bullets peppered the door before knocking it cleanly off it's hinges. The door flew and landed on top of Carter which he picked up and used as a makeshift shield.]

Luga broke out in a loud laugh. The old man with his eyebrows furled threw one of the coyote teeth at Luga's forehead before he said

"Listen lad, you may be laughing but I never lie, I even got a nasty gash on my shoulder from this little incident."

Suddenly Luga turned around at the sound of quiet footsteps only to see Mani tip toeing towards him. Luga sighed before eating one more skewer, Carter then speaks out.

"Alright let's make our way to the ranch, we should be able to make it before sundown starts."

Mani sighed as he grabbed him a skewer for the road, Carter casually mounted his steed as Luga kicked up dust onto the fire like always. Mani started walking away first with a egotistical strut that must've been stroked from his practice from earlier. Lugo bent over and grabbed the coyote tooth Carter tossed at him before he cleanly hid it beside the wanted poster in his jacket, he then began his walk as well.

0