Chapter 1: Kingdom of Scars
121 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Only in the darkest of hours we're capable of seeing them. The stars sprinkled across the night sky. It is said there are as many stars as there are grains of sand on a beach. And each one of them represents us. Fascinating, isn't it? Myriad of souls, each with their own story to tell, it's almost overwhelming, which is why for now, we'll focus only on one star.

To the east exist a kingdom called Morningstar. For most of its history, this kingdom and its neighboring countries have been at war with Majins, residents of the Dark World, but that's a tale for another time. Our story begins in the ghettos of a small town called Horizon. There in the dust-covered streets where corruption runs rampant resides a soul waiting to shine.

Chapter 1

Kingdom of Scars

The "Bottom." That's what they call the slums. A place where the poor and low lives are tossed into. It's here where the rules of nature flourish. You the usual spiel. "The strong devour the weak." I can't remember how many times some thug shouted that after doing something cruel. I just know it drove me mad to the point I decided to do something about my weak self.

"Hey, pipsqueak, are you going to buy anything?" The merchant called out to me, but I didn't bother looking at him. I continue to spin my coin on the table while keeping an eye on my surroundings.

"No, I'm just window shopping."

"I didn't want your dirty money anyway." The merchant said while clicking his tongue.

Annoyed, I finally looked up. The dirty apron drape on the merchant brutish body made look like a butcher rather than a shopkeeper. The rotting fruits display in his stand were swarming with bugs but he made attempts to swat them away.

Speaking of dirty money. I'm curious, how exactly are you getting any business here in a place where everyone too poor to afford a home? Could it be that this is nothing more than a front for an illegal operation?

The merchant narrows his eyes at me. Slowly he reaches for the knife on the counter.

"Relax, I don't care what kind of illegal thing you're doing."

"Then what are you doing at my shop?"

"To keep an eye on my target."  I brought my silver coin to my eye level and stare deeply into it. I was easily able to see my target through the coin reflection. A plump man with a well-groomed mustache slowly made his way down the street with a mischievous grin and his hand on the sheath of his rapier.

"That noble is your target? This the third day he showed up here. Not sure what a pamper man like him is doing here in the bottom.

"isn't it obvious? He's looking for trouble. That stupid childlike grin gives it away. I bet he just learn how to use a sword and is now looking for someone to test it on. How typical of nobles." I grind my teeth not bothering to hide my disdain for the rich.

"Then aren't you falling into his trap? I shouldn't have to remind you, but nobody here is going to help you if he decides to use you as sword practice."

"You don't need to worry about me. After all, if I weren't good at stealing, then I would've starved to death a long time ago." With a light flick, I sent my coin flying into the air. My sudden action directed the merchant's attention to to the sky.

There are five steps a thief must take an order to obtain their prize.

Step 1 distraction: While all good thieves possess the skill to steal without being noticed. There's always a chance you'll be caught in the act. Thus keeping your target attention occupied will significantly reduce the risk of something unexpected happening.

"So, you're a thief."

"Yup, a pretty damn good one at that." With a confident smile show him an apple I took from his stand. He stares at me dumbly, processing what I did

"Hey, you have to pay for that!" He tries to snatch the apple away, but I quickly back away from his stand.

"Relax, I already paid you." Right on cue the coin I flip in the air lands on the table. "Thanks for the apple, I'll gladly come back for more, if you open a legitimate business."

"Don't you ever come back here!"

"What a rude way to treat a potential customer." I laugh off his remark and toss the apple towards a boy sitting on the side of the dusty street. The boy's dead eyes lit up when noticed the apple flying towards him. "T-Thank you." He mumbles while greedily devours the apple like it was the most delicious thing in the world. I lightly patted his head and turn my attention back to my target. The pouch hanging from his waist bounce with each step he took almost as if he was challenging someone to steal it.

I was successfully able to steal from a vendor who was suspicious of me, but will I be able to do the same against someone who’s actively looking for trouble? The answer is yes, of course. I just need a bigger distraction.

A little girl happily hops towards the noble. The noble’s round stomach block his vision of the girl, thus colliding with her and knocking her down. “Hey, watch where you’re going, kid!”

“Watch where you’re going, kid!”

“Oh no.” I clench my teeth knowing full well what was going to happen next.

“I’m not a kid! I’m twelve years old!” The girl shouted her body was quivering with rage.

This isn’t part of the script, but the target seemed to be stunned her outburst, so I guess things are still going according to plan.

I take a deep breath move towards the noble. Thanks to Lilly, a crowd was starting to form around her and the target, but that shouldn’t affect me too much.

Step 2: Act natural. People are always wary of any suspicious activity when in public, so a thief needs to be relaxed at all time if they don’t want to get caught while stealing.

I approach the target as if I was taken a leisure stroll through a park. With each step I took, my heart beat louder and louder, to the point I fear that someone would notice me. Thankfully everyone attention was on the girl who was still shouting nonsensically about how there’s a massive difference between a 12-year-old and an 11.

I was now within arms reach of the target. My entire body, including my mind, tremble with doubts and fear except for my hands, which remain steady, thanks to months of practice.

Step 3: Dexterity. The most important trait of a thief. Since even in the best-case scenarios, you’re only going to get one chance to claim your prize.

My hand dove into the target's pocket in an instant, my hand retreated into my cloak after obtaining my prize.

“And I didn’t even get drunk from taking a sip of wine, so obviously I’m an adult!” I lightly bump into the girl’s shoulder. It was the signal telling her I succeeded. I continue to walk down the street, hoping she’ll end her little rant about age soon.

My heart grew heavier the further I got from the crowd. It took a tremendous amount of willpower to stop myself from returning the money I stole.

Step 4: Only target the rich. It will lessen your guilt, especially if your weak hearted like me.

A man like him, who treats the poor like toys, deserve no sympathy from me. Besides, I doubt losing this amount will affect his daily life at all.

I audibly gulp down the lump of guilt in my throat and made my way back home

“Hey, Catherine!” The little girl called out to me. Her loose ponytail bounce with each step she took. I slow down my pace so she could catch up.

“How did I do?!”

“You did excellent, Lily.” With a bright smile, she quietly held out her hand, waiting for her reward. After taking a glance around, making sure no one was watching, I place a silver coin in her hand. “It was good working with you.”

“Catherine.” Lilly grabs my cloak, just as I was about to walk away. “I think I want a raise.”

“Sorry, Lily, but that’s all I can offer you right now.” I patted her on her head, hoping it’ll calm her down. Puffing out her cheeks, she swats my hand away and enters my cloak.

“L-Lily, what are you doing?!”

“I know that man had a lot of money on him, where you hide it?” Lily roughly patted me down with her little hands. While I squirm to push her away, I could feel more and more eyes focusing on me.

“Lily, you’re acting like a child!”

“I’m not a child. I’m twelve!”

“What’s the differenc- ah!” A tingling sensation crawled up my spine, causing my body and mind to shudder. “L-Lily?” I nervously looked behind me to see, Lily with a mischievous grin holding my tail.

“If you don’t pay me, I’m going to bite your tail!” My body unconsciously shiver when she moved her dagger-like teeth near my tail

“Okay! Okay, I’ll pay you!” While silently cursing my overly sensitive tail, I hand her a couple more silver.

“Thanks! it was nice doing business with you, Catherine!” She said with an innocent smile.

“Y-yea.”

“I hope we work together again soon.” Lily bows her head to me and happily skips away. If I were just a random person walking by, I would think she was an innocent angel incapable of robbing a robber.

“How scary,” I muttered underneath my breath.

But I guess that’s a good thing. With that attitude, she’ll be able to survive in the ghetto. While watching her back, I felt happy, at the same time, sad. A kid, her age, having to act like this to survive, this world truly is cruel.

It’s been ten years since the Majin war ended. A war we had no business winning. And every way, the Majin were superior to us, yet strangely, one day they suddenly retreated to their dark world. Thus, allowing us to enjoy our long sought out peace. It would be nice if the story just ended there, but unfortunately, it didn’t. The price for war was far too great.

Unable to afford the cost, businesses were shut down, crime rate increase, soldiers, turn into bandits, and the King who was supposed to guide us during these turbulent times fell silent — leaving his subjects to fend for themselves.

“Pathetic.” Frustrated, I kick some dust in the air. I kept my head low as I walked down the dusty streets ignoring the despondent gaze of the slum's residents who were slightly pleading for money and food. While repeatedly telling myself that there was nothing I could do. I took a detour into an alleyway to avoid their piercing stare. Two thugs stood in the alley hovering over a battered man.

“Please, help me.” The man whimper. The two goons laughed and struck the man with a metal pipe silencing his cry for help. “You think that little girl is going to help you?”

“Hey, doesn’t she look familiar?” I instinctively put my hood over my head to hide my feline ears. The two goons step out of the shadows revealing themselves.  One of the men faces was scarred severely. The five large symmetrical marks on the left side of his face indicated it wasn’t a human that injured him. And the other man, while he bore no scars and was almost thin as the homeless children. His wide eyes and wicked smile, which showed his yellow teeth made him looked far more terrifying than the scarred man.

Scar and brick is the alias those two went by. Anyone who lives in the slums knows who these two are, and who that they worked for the Crooked Man, the self-proclaim king of the slums.

“If it isn’t Crook’s favorite little cat, what did you get today?”

“That’s none of your concern.”

“C’ mon, don’t be like that; we’re part of the same gang.” The wild look in brick’s eyes made me take a step back away from them. “Don’t just give us 70 percent of what you got, and we’ll protect you from bad guys like him.” With a cruel smirk, brick repeatedly steps on the battered man’s face. Blood and teeth flew from the man’s mouth as Brick repeatedly step on him until he stopped moving. Too terrified to move, all I could do was pray that he was still alive.

“Now, Catherine, show us what you got.”

“I don’t need your protection.” I pull out a pistol from out my cloak the smile on Brick’s face vanishes. “S-Scar!” He shouts while panickily backing away.

“Fine.” Scar silently cracks his knuckles as he approaches

Scar, I don’t know that much about him. He’s a quiet man that keeps to himself. All I know is that he was a former mercenary and that he’s proud of the scars he got in a battle, hence his name.

My hands shook fiercely, but I stood my ground and aimed my weapon at the approaching man. Regardless of how strong Scar may be, he’s just a human. If I can hit him, I win, but this flintlock pistol only has one shot, If I miss then...

“I can see it in your eyes. You don’t have the courage to shoot.” Gently he places his finger on the barrel. My body trembles uncontrollably I watch hopelessly and horror as he slowly made me lower my weapon like it was nothing more than a toy to him.

“Now hand over the money.”

“…” I silently reach into my cloak and hand him the pouch I stole from the noble.

It's fine, I can easily steal more later, I told myself. Gritted my teeth as I watch the two walked away with the money I stole.

“Ah, here’s your 30 percent.” Suddenly Scar toss a couple of coins and the air, which

“What the hell are you doing?!’ Brick shouted.

“You said you only wanted 70 percent. Besides, she’s The Crooked Man’s favorite pet. I don’t want to upset her too much.”

“Then why are you stealing from me, if you know it’s going to upset him?” Unless don’t tell me…” My mind trembles at the horrible thought that enter my head. “He made you guys do this, didn’t he?” I didn’t want to believe my horrible imagination, but it made perfect sense. Crook knows the reason why I’m stealing and saving up money is so I can leave his gang.

“…” The two didn’t respond, but their silence was enough to answer my question. Realizing how grim the situation was. I felt my legs growing weak. I lean against the wall to support myself.

“No, that can’t be, I…I just need to talk to him.”

“Careful, even if you are his favorite that doesn’t mean he’ll show mercy to you if you anger him.”

 “As if you care.” a venomous rage seeped into my voice. Perhaps realizing it was no point reasoning with me, Scar quietly leaves the alley, while dragging brick behind him. With the two gone, my attention turns back to the battered man who laid motionlessly on the ground cover in his blood. Upon closer inspection, I notice he was still breathing.

“I’m sorry I wasn’t strong enough to protect you,” I said absentmindedly. I’m not sure if I was speaking to him or I was just venting my frustration. I place one of the coins. Scar left me near the man’s face, making sure he’ll see it when he wakes up.

“I doubt this will be enough to get your injuries treated, but at least you’ll be able to buy something to eat when you wake.” After examining him one more time.

Shadows of buildings grew larger and more menacing as the sunset. Like rats, the slum residents scurried off into the alleys or abandoned buildings to hide from the thugs that were emerging from whatever dark pit they slept in.

“Pathetic, every single one of you.” I clench to keep my anger in check. “Although I guess I’m most pathetic.” I was unable too weak to stop them from taking the money, and from the look of things, I won’t be able to leave the gang anytime soon.

I let out a deep sigh and looked up at the reddish sky. “Sorry dad, it looks like I won’t be able to fulfill your promise anytime soon.”

 

.

.

.

Night has come to Horizon, along with it, a deafening silence which swept across the slums. A man drenches in sweat dove from out the shadows of the alley and onto the now deserted street. Trembling in fear, he stares into the abyss, waiting for whatever was chasing him to appear.

“Show yourself already you coward!!” He screams at darkness. The sound of giggling reverberated in the dark

“A hunter normally doesn’t reveal themselves to their prey, but I guess scumbag like you don’t count as a hunt.” A young woman emerges from the dark. The man froze in place when he looked at her.

The woman wore a pure white blazer which she left unbuttoned, revealing a utility belt wrap around her white skirt, which contain a flintlock pistol, dagger, and other miscellaneous items.

While the thug was surprised that the woman was carrying so many weapons, what truly terrified him was the crimson color tags that dangle from her neck, a symbol that represents the Royal Guards, the King’s right-hand men.

“Damn it, what’s the King’s elite doing here in this shanty town?!”

“I’m the one asking questions, now tell me where your boss at.”

“Like hell, I’ll tell you!” The thug pulls out a rusted knife.

“Alright, I’ll play with you for a bit.” The woman opens her arms, welcoming the thug to attack her. Annoyed with the woman’s cocky attitude, the thug charges at her. Just as he was about to thrust his knife into her chest, he suddenly kicks dust into the air, forcing her to close her eyes. The thug smile at the blinded woman. Seeing the person who took out five of his men put into such a miserable state brought him great joy. The man wanted to take his time and make her regret ever coming to the slums, but after seeing her in action, he knew a prolong fight wouldn’t be in his favor, so he aimed his knife directly at her heart. `

“Too predictable.” The woman easily grabs the knife. Before the thug could react, she kicks him in the leg knocking him off his feet.

“You bit- “The woman pulled her pistol out at a speed that left the man in shock.

“Careful, next word you say might be your last?”  The thug grinded his teeth; he knew he couldn’t beat the monster in front of him alone. Which is why he came to this deserted area. Unbeknownst to the woman, this is one of the many areas the thug’s boss own. Any second now she’ll be surrounded by men who’ll love nothing than sully that haughty expression of hers. Just imagining it put a smile on the thug’s face

“That’s enough, Bella.” An older man with gray hair approaches the two while dragging two men by their neck down the street. The thug’s face became pale after realizing those were his men. Just like the woman, he also wore a pure white uniform with a red dog tag hanging from his neck.

“These guys are surprisingly tight-lipped. None of them wanted to tell me about their boss’ location. Even though I ask so nicely.”

“Really, that sucks.” Bella lowers her gun. Seeing an opening, the thug dashes.

“You’ll regret coming to The Crooked Man’s territory!” He shouted as he left a trail of dust behind.

“Should we...”

“No, let him go. Maybe the damage we cause will get his boss out of hiding, or hopefully, he’ll at least send some goons that are willing to talk.”

“What a pain.” Bella sigh while wiping the dust from her eyes. “Why the hell does the king got us prowling alleys like some foot, soldier?”

“The King is short on friends. So it’s only natural he’ll send his most trusty servants to do his bidding.”

“Still, it’s a bit overkill sending us to clean up crime on the streets.”

“Look at it this way Bella, the fact the king chose you for this mission means he believes that your immune to bribery and corruption, there’s no greater honor.”

“Speak for yourself, old man. Hunting thugs is an insult to my family name and poor use of my skills. I might as well be hunting goblins.” The old man chuckles softly to himself.

“I almost forgot your family obsessed with hunting monsters. When we get back, I’ll find a tough game for you to hunt. But for now, let’s focus on cleansing this town of corruption. And the first person we should start with is the thug calling himself “The Crooked Man.”

1