Chapter 4: Sinners
53 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 4

Sinners

A tense silence fell upon the arena. The audience who was screaming for blood and even the ogre who was shouting for his freedom, attention was now on the duo clad in white attire. Despite being surrounded by armed masked men, the elderly man calm visage didn’t break and the braided woman next to him, had a mischievous grin on her face as if she was looking for an excuse to cause a problem.

“Let’s go, old man.” The braided woman tosses what looked to be a bomb into the air, which exploded into dazzling white light — forcing everyone to close their eyes.

The moment the light faded; I open my eyes to see chaos engulf the entire stadium of people rushing for the exit, all the while more masked men squeeze their way to the center of the arena in an attempt to stop the duo in white, rampage.

“!!!” Suddenly, a mighty roar reverberated throughout the arena, snapping me out of my stupor. The ogre that was passively watching the event unfold was now once again wrestling with its bondage.

Did the fight excite it? Either way, there’s no way he can break out of those chains, he would’ve been done it if he could.

I grab the keys dangling from my tail. My heart nearly stops the moment I looked at them. There are about 50 of them; each one was a different shape and size.

What does he need all these keys for?!!” I let out a frustrated sigh as I look for the key that could fit in the lock.

“!!!” The ogre lets out another ferocious roar. I continue searching for the right key ignoring the beast behind me until I heard something snap my body froze, and my tail stood erect as if it was alerting me to danger. The sound definitely came from behind me, but I was far too scared to look.

Please tell me that wasn’t the chain. No, of course not. If he could break it, he would’ve been done it.

(Violence makes ogres stronger.)

The braided woman words echo in my head

Don’t tell me the riot actually made it stronger? How the hell does that even make sense?!”

I begin frantically shoving each key into the lock, hoping one would eventually fit. In my desperate haste, the keys slip from my fingers. “Damnit!” While cursing myself, I reach for the keys.

“!!!” The roar of ferocious beast reverberated in my ears along with the sound of another chain snapping. My body tenses up when I heard the second chain snap. My ears twitch at the sound of the approaching footsteps.

Realizing the ogre was free, I tried to squeeze through my way through the bar. But even with my small frame, I couldn’t fit through the gap.

“Someone help! The ogre is free!!” I shouted at the top of my lung, hoping someone would notice, but the chaos the royal guard created drown my voice out.

I slump down to my knees. I didn’t bother reaching for the keys. Even if by some miracle, I open the door in the next attempt, the ogre would crush me before I could escape. By the way, he was slowly approaching me; it seems he was fully aware of that.

“Haha.” A weak laugh escape from my mouth as my life flash in my mind. “What a pathetic existence. Doing nothing but stealing scraps and pocket changes foolish believing that’ll be enough to buy back my parents’ store from a coldhearted thug.” I tightly squeeze myself to stop my body from shaking and closed my eyes as if that would somehow save me from what was going to happen.

“If I’m going to die like this. Then, then at the very least, “I should take someone with me.” Before I had the chance to be surprised at what slip out my mouth, a gentle breeze blew through my heart calming my panic mind.

The ogre who was swaggering towards me savoring my despair, suddenly took a step back when I look at him. For some reason, that intimidating aura that was emanating from his body was gone. I grab the two batons laying by my feet and took a step towards the now cautious beast.

Why was I so scared again? Ogres are nothing more than a walking pile of muscles. The fact a group of nobles with too much time on their hands was able to capture him, is proof that strength is the only thing ogres can brag about.

“So, how should I deal with you?” I felt a smile creep up on my face as I imagine ripping its arms and legs off.

“!!!” Suddenly, a loud explosive rang throughout the arena — the ogre clutch his head which was covered in blood.

“What the hell are you doing?! Are you trying to die?!” The braided woman shouted, aiming her pistol at the ogre with one hand while grasping the throat of a masked man with her other. She fires three more shots, each one finding their mark and striking the ogre head, causing it to stagger backward.

The ogre lets out a painful wail while wildly swinging its free arm around. The gust of wind generated from its rampages knocks me off my feet. I quickly crawl away, trying to get as far as I could away from it.

Why the hell was I acting so cocky earlier?! That thing can easily crush me with its thumb alone!

“That’s quite the hard head you got there.” With a wide grin, the braided woman tosses the masked man she was holding into a group of thugs. She leaps high into the air and elegantly lands onto a spectator seat. “Stay right there!” She shouted while pointing at the ogre. “There’s a weapon I want to test on that thick skull of yours!” Overflowing with eagerness, she jumps down vanishing into the panicking crowd.

Wasn’t she supposed to save me?

“Honestly, that girl.” The elderly man lets out a sigh as he approaches the cage. With one hand, he easily bends the bar of the cage as if he was opening a door. Seeing him so easily enter the cage, I desperately try to escape from left me dumbstruck.

“I’ll take care of this.” Slowly, he unsheathes his weapon. Unlike his sheath, which was intricately designed, his sword was simplistic, yet beautiful, nonetheless. The gleam reflected off the silver blade, imbue it with a holy aura, like the swords you hear about in legends. But still, it was just a sword. If a bullet couldn’t pierce his skin, no way a sword can, perhaps realizing this the ogre charges at the elderly man at a speed that betrays his size. The elderly man swung his sword in an arc cleaning, slicing the ogre in half. At least, that’s what should’ve happened.

“Huh?” I tilted my head confused. His sword clearly went straight through the ogre, yet he was still intact, patting its stomach looking for the wound that should’ve been inflicted upon him.

“Are you hurt anywhere, young lady? The elderly man sheathes his sword and walks towards me, leaving the ogre behind. Perhaps upset that he was about being ignored, the ogre cuffs both his hands and raise them over his head like you would a hammer.

“Behind you!!” Ignoring my warning, he continues to approach me calmly. I close my eyes, waiting for the awful sounds of his screams.

“Since you have the energy to freak out like that, I guess you’re fine.” My body relaxes as a hand gently brush my hair. I open my eyes to see the elderly man giving me a warm smile. Behind him was the ogre frozen in place with his hands still raised in the air, the lights in its filthy eyes gone.

“Just like I thought, you were quite the sinner.” The ogre’s body slowly begins to lean forward like a tumbling statue. The cage shook when it collapses onto the ground.

“W-What just happen?!” One of the guards that were standing near the cage asked the question that I was sure was on everyone mind. While still wearing the warm smile on his face, the elderly man turned his attention to the stupefied guards.

“This sword was designed to destroy the souls of sinners. By the way, you were the ones that kidnap this girl, right?” The elderly man places his hand on the hilt of his sword. “That’s quite the sin, don’t you think?” The temperature suddenly plummets, causing my body to tremble.

The guards fled for the entrance. At the same time, a woman with a long braid draped over her shoulder kick open the door knocking the men down. “I’m back!” She shouted. Carrying what I can only describe as a crudely crafted cannon. While I stare at her confused as to how she was carrying such a cumbersome weapon with those slender arms of hers, she continues to talk happily.

“I call this the ‘Shred Cannon.’ It’s still in its prototype stage, but it’s powerful enough to rip through your thick skin…” Her voice fades away when she looked down at the ogre lying motionlessly on the floor. “Old man…” She said weakly. Her shoulder drop like a kid who had their favorite toy stolen from them. The elderly man looked away from her like a guilty kid who got caught breaking a vase.

“Sorry about that, I had to save the girl. I promise when we get back to the capital, I’ll find a monster, you can test your invention on.”

“I’m afraid you two will never make it back to the capital.” Sitting in one of the spectators’ seats with his legs cross. The chubby noble that dragged me here lets out a maniacal laugh as if he was the mastermind that planned this event, even though to be honest I completely forgot about his existence.

“Do you have any idea what you have done? This place was a gathering point for powerful people like me to relieve our stress. Even if you do work for the King, this will not go unpunished. I promise you that’ll you- “

Before the nobleman could finish his overly long speech, the braided woman smacks him with her cannon knocking out of his seat. “Sorry about that. I have a bad habit of hitting things that annoy me.”

“I notice.” The elderly man said underneath his breath while shaking his head.

“You, you bitch!” Rubbing his swollen cheek, the nobleman looks up at the woman, his eyes seething with rage. “You have no idea how powerful my friends are.”

“No, but I’ll be happy if you told us, and while you’re at it, tell us everything you know about the people that escape. The noble’s scowl faded, and his face turned pale as he tried to move his head away from the spears that were drawing closer to him.

“This weapon was designed to take down beasts with armor-like skin. But you know, I’m kind of curious what would happen if I use this on a squishy weakling like you. I doubt any of your ‘friends’ will be able to recognize your corpse.

“You’re bluffing.” The woman responded to the noble’s claim with a mischievous grin, and her finger slowly pressing down on the trigger.

“Okay, okay! I’ll talk, but know this, when my friends found about this, you’ll-“

“Whatever.” Again, before he could finish speaking, the woman smacks him with her cannon, this time knocking him unconscious. “I really need to fix that habit of mines.” She said, resting her cannon on her shoulder. Seeing that satisfying smile on her face, I got the feeling she has no intention of fixing her habit. But still, despite that flaw, I couldn’t help but be amazed. Both she and the older man stood proudly over the dozens of men they defeated including an ogre, their uniforms still white and pure as the moment they enter. It was as if they were heroes from a legend, a complete contrast to me, a thief, wrapped in a filthy black cloak so that I can hide deeper in the dark.

“By the way, what should we do with her?” The woman pointed at me, which cause me to flinch unintentionally. “She was involved in this incident, so should we take her back to the station?”

“Hmm.” The elderly man stares intensely at me, stroking his well-trim gray beard.” I took a step away, trying to escape his gaze, unintentionally making myself look like a criminal in the process.

When we first met on the street, I thought they wanted to do business with the Crooked Man, just like every other soldier in this town. But after seeing them indiscriminately beat everyone that stood in their way including those that might have a high status in society. I now think they’re on a search and destroy mission. Their targets: Anyone they consider a sinner.

“Sorry Bella, maybe it’s because of my age, but I don’t see any girl.” The woman tilted her head and looked at me, then the elderly man confuse. After a few seconds, a smile appears on her face.

“I must’ve been seeing things. There’s no way an innocent girl would come to this shitty place.” The two royal guards chuckle to themselves, before turning their attention to the unconscious men that litter the floor. They rudely kick the bodies, checking to see if anyone awake.

It took me a few seconds to realize they were letting me go. “T-Thank you.” I bow my head to them and then headed towards the exit. To be honest, I wanted to run and get as far away from this place as possible but was afraid that would make them suspicious of me, so I walked carefully, well at least I tried.

“Ah!” A shriek escapes from my mouth as I fell to the ground. While rubbing my head, I angrily kick the unconscious man I trip over, even though it was my fault for not looking where I was going. As I try to stand, I felt something solid land on my head. Still, slightly annoyed, I grab object ready throw it across the arena until I felt something else land on my head, and another, and another

Confuse, I looked up. A bag dangle from the edge of the table spilling golden coins like a waterfall. I jump to my feet in a panic, grabbing as many coins as could. “Amazing! with this much, I can finally…” My body shudders with joy as I greedily shove all the coins I collected back into the bag.

“Is something wrong?”

“!” I let out a strange yelp as I quickly turn around, causing some of the coins to spill back onto the table, thankfully neither of the royal guards seem to notice.

“Are you okay?” The elderly man looked at me with concern.

“Yea, I just thought I saw that guy move.” The two follow my finger towards the man I trip over. The moment their attention drifted off me, my hands went to work. And a mere second, I swiftly hid the bag and coins that spill out of it in my cloak.

I’m truly am a lowlife. I cover my mouth to hide the self-deprecating smile, that was surely forming. “Sorry, I must’ve imagined it. Thanks again for saving me.” While waving goodbye, I retreated to the exit. Each step I took the bag in my hand became heavier, and another needle pierces my heart.

I’m truly am pathetic. Lying to my saviors and stealing money that they could probably use to track down the rest of the people that manage to escape. “I’m sorry,” I whisper softly to the point it was nearly inaudible. But this is the only way people like me can live.

.

.

.

“You cocky bastards, you’re going to pay.” Consume by malice, the injured masked man dragged himself towards an abandoned knife, seeing them expose their back to him as if he wasn’t worth a thought, only further fuel his fury. Merely killing them wouldn’t quell his irrational rage. No, they needed to suffer a fate worse than death. A malevolent smile form underneath the mask as his dark imagination ran rampant. But in the end, they would never become a reality.

A foot slam on his hand, crushing it along with his dark dream. The man himself was surprised that he didn’t scream when he heard the bones in his hand cracking from the pressure of the foot. Was it because of the shock? Or did the head trauma he suffered earlier dull his sense of pain? His assailant didn’t give him time to ponder the question. The foot that crushes his hand struck his head, sending both his mask and conscious flying into the dark.

Bella lets out an annoyed sigh as she watches the man whom she kicked pathetically roll across the filthy ground.

She knew this mission would be a pain in the ass, but she didn’t expect this much annoyance. Seeing all the bodies, she would have to drag back to the station chip away at her revolve.

Maybe we should get some guards to help us. She thought, but she quickly abandons that idea. After everything she saw tonight, she wouldn’t be surprised if she and the old man were the only people in town not working for some thug or corrupt noble.

Her eyes scan the area, looking for any clues that could help her track down the people that got away. Eventually, her attention fell upon the cage. Two of the bars the girl was desperately clinging to were slightly bent.

"Why didn’t she break herself out?' Bella ponder. The cage? The primary purpose was to make the audience feel safe, an ogre or even a girl with the blood of a beast coursing through her could easily escape.

“Maybe, I shouldn’t have let her go.” Bella reaches for her weapon, debating whether she should chase the girl or not. It was apparent that the girl not only couldn’t control her strength but was completely unaware of it. A beastmen who can’t control their power is just as dangerous as a rampaging ogre.

“Stop.” A stern voice halts Bella in her track. Bella clicks her tongue, annoyed.

“Old man, I understand that you have a soft spot for kids, but we at the very least need to retrieve the money she stole. The aged soldier’s body twitches slightly. Of course, he knew what the girl did. He planned to stop her, but the pain expression she had when she took the money froze him in place.

“Dante…” Worried, Bella uncharacteristically called the old soldier by his name. Bella knew that no one loved this country more than this elderly veteran. She couldn’t even begin to understand the pain he’s suffering seeing the kingdom he spent his whole life serving become so corrupted.

“It’s fine, Bella, I’ll find her.” Wave his hand to wipe away his partner worries as he head for the exits. Realizing she was being left alone to deal with all the bodies, she lets out an annoyed sigh.

“I know my worries are pointless but do go easy on the girl. I’m sure she had no choice.”

“That’s no excuse.” The old soldier stops and looked at Bella. Even though time has withered his body, his deep blue eyes burn with rage and determination that can rival any youth. “Regardless what excuses she has, a sin is still a sin.”

0