Chapter 9: The First Step
35 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 9

The First Step

The more I think about it, the more it feels like it was all a dream. The angelic woman with the black halo, a sword that can only cut evil. These are things you expect to find in a children’s tale. The only thing stopping me from dismissing everything as a dream is the sensation of the hand that helped me to my feet.

I never got the chance to ask how he’ll help me deal with The Crooked Man. The town guards’ rushes to the scene interrupted our conservation before I could.

“Visit me at the Soldier center whenever you’re ready to take the first step.” That was the last thing he said to me before he begins giving orders to the guards that arrive.

Soldier center, that’s the last place a person like me who lives by committing crime wants to go. To make matters worse, it's located near the market, a place where people who can actually afford to buy things go. I can already imagine all the dirty looks I’ll get if I even get near the area.

“What a pain.” I let out a sigh and looked out my window. The sun was far past its zenith now and is growing weaker by the minute. It’s only a matter of time till the last of the light vanishes, and darkness once again consumes the world.

“Is it possible for someone like me to shine like a star?” The evening breeze blew through my window, taking my question along with it. I silently continue staring at the sky, somewhat hoping for the wind to bring an answer back to me. After a few seconds, my stomach begins to growl, breaking the silence.

Right, I never did get a chance to eat last night. Everything kind of went downhill ever since I ran into that noble yesterday. I’ll never understand how adventurers can happily throw themselves into danger. I never want to go through that again. But I feel like that what exactly will happen if I get involved with Dante.

I slowly climb out of my bed. If I stay in it any longer, I fear I lose all motivation to do anything. I sluggishly made my way to the mirror. I threw on dark blue overalls and a white undershirt. “They still fit.” I let out a disappointed sigh when I looked back at the mirror. I used to play in these clothes when I was a kid. I really haven’t grown that much. Well at least everyone will think I’m a child rather than a thief, although I prefer the latter.

After one more glance in the mirror, I reluctantly left the store and headed straight for the market. Normally around this time of day, the resident of the slums would be taking shelter in the darkest place they could find to hide from the gangs that run the street. Yet strangely, there was still quite a lot of people lingering around outside. Even weirder, there were men in dark blue uniforms patrolling the area.

It took a few seconds for me to register that they were the town's guard. It was such a rare sight to see them on this side of town that everyone was looking at them like they were an endangered animal.

After getting over my initial shock, I took cover in the alley. A couple of others follow my lead and hid in nearby buildings. The guards approach the few people that didn’t hide and begin asking them questions. They were quite a distance away, but thanks to my sharp ears, I was able to hear everything they were saying. It seems Dante is blaming the fire incident from earlier on Crook instead of me. While I’m happy that Dante lied to protect me, I still can’t help but feel anxious.

“Catherine, hey, Catherine~.”

I still don’t understand why he’s going so far for me. He said I have potential, but the only thing I’m good at is stealing and running away.

“Hello~ Catherine?”

Does he want me to steal something? That’s the only thing that makes sense to me, but what does he want me to steal? A secret document from another country? Or maybe-

“Stop ignoring me!” An obnoxiously, loud voice snapped me out of my thoughts. Before I could turn to see who it was, they grabbed my tail and pulled on it. I let out a surprised yelp. An intense sensation traveled up my spine and assaulted my brain, causing me to momentarily blackout.

“You!!” The moment I regain my senses, I angrily turn to face my assailant. It was a little girl clad in a black cloak. She wore a bright smile on her face, trying her best to feign innocence. “Lily, what the hell are you doing?!”

“I just wanted to talk to you.” Lily clasp her hands together and looks up at me like an abandoned puppy.

“Hey, what’s going on over there?” A couple of the soldiers slowly approach our location with their hands on their weapons.

“Damnit.” I grabbed Lily’s hands and fled deeper into the alley. I probably didn’t have to run, since they were after Crook. But after everything, I went through last night, with the noble and the ogre. I just can’t bring myself to trust them.

“Catherine, I don’t think anyone is chasing us!” Lily shouted. I slowed down and looked behind me to see if anyone followed us. After I was confident the coast was clear, I turn my attention to Lily.

“You know Lily. There are better ways to get my attention than grabbing my tail.”

“I tried other ways, but you just kept mumbling to yourself!”

“I was mumbling to myself?” I felt my cheeks growing hot from embarrassment. “A-Anyway. That doesn’t give you an excuse to grab my tail. You know how sensitive it is.”

“Sorry.” Lily looks down at the ground, her eyes growing watery. It was hard for me to stay angry at her when she acts like that. For a person that doesn’t like being treated like a child, she loves to act like one when it’s convenient.

“So, what did you want to talk to me about?”

“I- “Lily pause. She cautiously scanned her surroundings than steps closer to me and whispered in my ears. “I want to help you steal again.”

Normally, I would happily agree. Lily excels at distracting my targets. But after everything I’ve been through these past few days, I found myself hesitating to accept her help.

While I was debating whether I should say yes or no, the sound of something rumbling snap me out of my thought. For a second, I thought it was my stomach, but then I notice Lily was blushing and holding her belly.

“Let’s talk after we get something to eat.” I grabbed Lily hand’s and led her towards the market district, but then I immediately switch directions after I realize all the dirty looks we probably get if we went there.

“Where are we going?” Lily asked. I could sense a bit of concern in her voice. Not surprising since most of the stores in the slums were closed, and the open ones are probably making their profit from illegal business.

“Relax, I’m just taking us to a place a bit more inviting.”

.

.

.

“Great, they’re multiplying.” Before I could even utter a word, the merchant angrily mutters to himself.

“This doesn’t look inviting,” Lily whispers while hiding behind me. Understandable. The merchant brutish size made him look more like a butcher rather than someone that sells fruits. The reddish stain on his apron and the knife laying on the counter wasn’t helping his appearance either.

“Don’t worry. He’s just shy.” I lightly patted Lily's head and approached the merchant.

“Isn’t about time for you kids to go to bed?!”

“Kid?!” Lily shouted. She stomps towards the merchant. “I’m not a kid. I’m twelve!”

“What’s the difference?” Lily opened her mouth to speak, but I quickly grabbed her shoulder and pulled her away from the merchant to save everyone from her Lily’s overly long explanation on how a twelve-year-old should be considered an adult.

“We just came here to buy some fruits from you.”

“You mean steal?” The merchant narrows his eyes at me. I guess he has no intention of forgiving me for what I did yesterday. Even though, as I recall, I did pay him after I stole one of his apples.

“Don’t worry. I’m a thief with a golden heart. I only steal from the rich and people I don’t like.”

“Doesn’t sound like you have a golden heart.”

“Well, most of the people I don’t like are evil bastards.”

“He definitely fits that description.” Lily mutter under her breath.

“If I give you girls a couple of fruits will leave me alone?”

“Depends, do you have something that won’t give us a disease?” I swat away a bug that was hovering a bit too close to my face. Most of the fruits on display were either rotten or covered with bugs. Just looking at them almost made me vomit my non-existent lunch.

“Fine.” The merchant lets out a sigh and pulls out a box hidden underneath his stand. The box was full of fresh fruit that looked like they were just picked from a forest.

“So… why are you hiding these? You know you’ll get a lot more customers if had these on display.” Lily said, practically watering at the mouth.

“And that’s exactly why I hid it. So I wouldn’t have to deal with brats like you.”

“Brat?!” I held out my arm to stop Lily from throwing herself at the man.

“I’ll take three.” I tossed a coin at him a silver coin and took three red fruits from the box. I then gave two of the fruits to Lily. She quizzically tilts her head at me.

“You’re still in your growing phase. So, you should eat as much as you can. Unless do you want to look like a kid forever?”

“Of course not!” She snatches the two fruits out my hands and begun hungrily devouring them. Red juice splash all over her face with each bite she took. The stains the juice left look exactly like the stains on the merchant’s apron.

So, it isn’t blood on him, thank goodness. Relieved, I took a bite out of my fruit. By the way, the name of the fruit is “Juice Bomb.” A perfect name for these sphere-shaped fruits. Since its impossible to not cause a mess when you eat, but on the bright side, they’re good at sating your hunger and thirst.

“Now, what did you want to talk to me about?” After taking a couple of bites of my fruit, I turn my attention to Lily, who already finished her first juice bomb and was halfway done with the next.

“Hm?” Lily looks at me. She opens her mouth to speak but quickly closes it when she realizes it was full of food. I took another bite from my fruit as I patiently waited for her to swallow her food.

“I told you, I just wanted to help you with your erm, next job.”

“Let me rephrase that question. Why do you need money?” Lily froze. The juice bomb she was vigorously eating rolled out of her hand and onto the filthy ground. I knew something was up, but from her reaction, it seems to be quite serious. “Is someone threatening you?”

“No, its, my grandma, she’s sick.” Tears begin to well up in her eyes.

“I’m sorry to hear.” I never met the woman that take care of Lily. But from what Lily told me, she’s the nicest person in the whole world. She adopted Lily and other kids that lost their family in the war.

Why is it always the kindest people that suffer the most? I remember asking this question once when I lost everything. My parents did nothing wrong and yet.

“Catherine, please. Let me help you with your next job. My grandma really needs medicine.” Lily tremble as she pleaded. I know Lily hated being treated like a child, but I couldn’t stop myself from hugging her. She reminded me too much of myself.

“Don’t worry, Lily. I promise I’ll help you.” While I held Lily in a tight embrace, I slip a coin into her pocket. It seems she notice. She looked up at me, confused. I place a finger on my lip, signaling her to stay quiet.

“For now, you should head home. It’s getting late, and I’m sure your grandma is worry about you.”

“R-Right. Thank you, Catherine, for everything.” Lily bows her head to me before running off. I silently watch her until she turns the corner and vanishes from my sight.

I wonder how she’ll react when she realizes I gave her a gold coin. I wish I could see it. Just imagining her shock expression is enough to make me laugh. But still, I can’t believe I just gave away something so expensive so easily. I used to starve myself just to save up some money for the store. Look like I ended up believing Dante’s words even though I was trying so hard to be skeptical. I guess there’s no point in hesitating. I have to keep moving even if the road ahead has traps waiting for me.

“It looks like you’re getting ready for war.” I jumped slightly. Somehow, I completely forgot about the merchant. It seems at some point while I was lost in my thought, the merchant pack most of his things and was getting ready to head home.

“Something like that.”

The merchant lets out a long and weary sigh. “You kids are always so eager to rush to your death. Whatever you’re planning, I can assure you it isn’t worth it.”

“Probably, or probably not. I’ll never know until I do it.”

“I guess so.” The merchant lets out another exhausted sigh. “Well, whatever you’re planning, I hope it works out.”

“Yea, me too,” I whisper to myself. I silently watch the merchant walk away. There was something lonely about his gait. But I guess that isn’t surprising, everyone in the slums has lost something.

“I wonder if it’s possible to reclaim what we lost.” Muttering to myself, my eyes wander from the merchant to the street that led to the market. The streetlights begin to flicker on. (At least the ones that still work.) illuminate the dust floating in the air.

“Won’t know until I do it, huh?” I repeated the word I said earlier to myself and hopes it’ll give me the motivation to move.

They said a journey of thousand miles begins with a single step. I guess this will be my first step. I just hope this road won’t lead me off a cliff.

Just as I was about to take the ‘first step,’ I felt something prick my neck. A second later, all my strength vanish, and I fell to the ground.

“You know I’m surprised the old man hasn’t found you yet. I guess his age is finally starting to catch up to him.” The feminine voice sounded familiar, but I couldn’t quite remember who it belongs to. I try to move, but my body refuses to listen to me.

“Oh, you’re still awake. That needle had enough drug to immediately knock a grown man unconscious. As expected of a beastman, I suppose.” A young woman kneels next to me. My eyes immediately fell on the dog tags that dangle from her neck. It gave off a scarlet glow, revealing that she was also a royal guard.

“Sorry about this, I did plan on letting you go, but as the old man once said. A sin is a sin.”

 

0