Chapter 15 Genius Or Maniac?
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

RBR Chapter 15 Genius Or Maniac?

Fear was an emotion that wasn't within his mind as he followed behind the headmaster. It wasn't because he was clueless or had forgotten the man's malicious gaze, instead, it stemmed from the confidence that his cells will protect him.

Eric felt a budding curiosity toward the man. His words in the classroom made him come off as someone insane, but that was all just his honesty.

"What did you think of my words?" The headmaster asked without turning his head. The casual question caught Eric off guard before he decided to ponder upon how to answer. He had come off as a mentally ill person, but Eric couldn't say that to his face since he didn't want to shoulder the unknown consequences.

"I know, there is no need for you to ponder too deeply. You probably think I am either insane, or too much of a drastic person. It is frustrating how we as humans can't progress due to fear. Why can't information pertaining to the wilderness be released to the public?" Eric heard the exasperated sigh, but he didn't add anything as he didn't have enough experience to speak of some matters.

"Baguma contacted me to allow your admission...though, I gotta say, you are an intriguing specimen."

He changed the topic, but the word 'specimen' caused a chill down Eric's spine. The man had spoken as if he was the same as those lab rats.

"Headmaster, I don't understand why you would need to see me?" He chose his words carefully. This man appeared to hold a calm demeanor now, but that malicious gaze bordering on angry from before couldn't have been a facade.

"We haven't even made it into my office." That's all he said before silence pervaded, all except for their shoes hitting the floor and the occasional shouts from students in their classrooms.

The silence was unnerving. Eric tried all sorts of methods to calm himself, from looking out into the school yard, to searching the ceiling for any organism that might have become an occupant, only that the city took cleanliness to a whole different level, since even tiny vermin like spiders were absent.

"Welcome to my office. Many have entered through these doors and spotted a myriad of expressions, though I do wonder what yours will be."

The doors opened to a white 10m sq room, with a window at the other side facing the entrance.

What blew him away though was the decor. It was so...vibrant. That was all he could make his mind think of. White intermixed with red helical patterns adorned the walls. 

The book shelves, desk, even the chairs, screamed futuristic. They were a white, designed to give the impression that you had just walked into a lab.

"Wow!" Eric exclaimed. He couldn't be sure how it held up against those of the others since he hadn't even managed to enter Baguma's, but he still had to praise it as it was the most beautiful he had seen.

"Hohohoho...thanks for your genuine reaction!" The headmaster chuckled after observing his expression.

"It really is beautiful. Its surprising that you have such good taste." Eric was skeptical that this had been the man's idea as it was just too contrasting with his overall appearance and demeanor.

"I can see that you also don't believe I am capable of designing this. Many do think that since I look like this, then I must live and work in a cave. Most scientists are minimalists and don't really care for appearances as long as something is clean, but I have a taste for the finer arts." He walked to his desk while saying that.

"Anyway, the reason you are here is because of the specialness I see inside of you. That girl from the Musota-Butwa clan must have awakened at an early due to the circumstances surrounding the clan's practices, but to me, you are the most interesting one.

The headmaster sat behind his desk and leaned back into his chair. The hunger filled glint within, unmistable to Eric.

He was still standing, cautious not to take a seat. His readiness to flee was more important than comfort.

"Why do you deem me special?" He asked the crucial question. Could it be that the man could somehow detect the existence of the intellgince in his cells, or could it be that he could see the things even the cells were trying to hide from him.

After that malicious glance the previous day, he had gone back and done his research on the headmaster. The man's name was Godfrey Kizike, yes, the Kizike clan. It was legendary for having produced that formidable human, the previous city lord.

The few scant tales of the man had earned Eric's admiration. Apparently, he was a monster even amongst monsters.

Since he had lacked any worthy descendants, his clan had declined with his death, but it was now showing signs of regaining some power due to the appearance of a genius...

The man with the hunger filled gaze seated right behind the desk. There were rumors that his battle strength matched that of the clan leaders of the seven spectrum clans, an impressive feat on its own.

But for some reason, he hadn't yet challenged any of the seven for their positions.

"Mr. Godfrey, let's be honest here, what do you want from me?" Once again he asked, since the man had remained silent. Eric's usage of the man's name was so that, he didn't treat him like a kid.

"I have heard rumors of a biological construct...something like a library existing somewhere in the wilderness containing part of the genetic volume owned by the collective..."

"Those rumors also spoke of certain experimental beings. With such a scant amount of information, I have come to the conclusion that the collective is trying to create a new being, a being far superior to the current lifeforms...what are your thoughts on this?"

The man spoke casually, but with every word, a hammer to Eric's chest. He knew far too much, and judging by his words, Godfrey more that suspected something.

'A superior life form?' Though, the words had also provided slivers of information.

(This human is dangerous. He should be eliminated!)

'Hey!' Eric shouted within his mind as his legs started moving towards the man's desk on their own accord.

"Tell me something, part of the collective, did I get it right?" The question caused the moving legs to pause and Eric's eyes to widen.

He knew! But how? There was no way he had acted out of hand at school!

"Please, don't take me for a two-bit upstart scientist. I have even dissected Rampagers for my experiments. How can I not notice something like that?" Godfrey stood up, circled the desk and stood right in front of Eric.

There was no fear on his face or wariness. He was calm, as if Eric's body wouldn't kill him first.

"Hahahahahaha..." He chuckled, his expression akin to an invitation to be slaughtered. He very much wanted to be attacked. Eric read it in his eyes, he was waiting.

'Don't do anything suspicious! You will only be giving him an excuse to act! Besides, he's as strong as Baguma!' Eric begged with all his might that his cells wouldn't make the first move.

"Tch! It looks like I failed. Mr. Eric, you are a very interesting subject. I will keep an eye on you. You can return to class." He moved away and went back to his chair. His dissatisfaction about not being attacked was real.

-----

Eric panted, collapsing onto the floor the moment he made it out of the office. The trembling that his body was going through couldn't be stopped. It was a result of the turmoil within his mind. Many feelings and emotions were tumbling around within his mind, failing to settle upon one.

The man had been downright terrifying! Everything had been spot on! He knew way too much. Eric even had the feeling that Godfrey knew exactly what he was, he just didn't mention it because he wanted his cells to quake in their boots.

(He must be killed!)

An urgent missive rang out in his mind. As Eric had expected, his cells had been provoked.

'We need to do it cleanly and in a way that it doesn't trace back to us. Are you really sure you can kill someone at the level of Baguma without causing a commotion?' Eric asked logically, even as he tried to calm the shaking within his body.

(I...can't...at the moment)

"..." Eric sighed at the answer. He had had a faint hope of the answer being one where it could be pulled off. The man's motives were unknown, but he was a threat to his existence. Godfrey viewed him in the same way one would view an experimental subject, with cold detachment. Eric was sure the man wasn't even thinking if him as a human being, but something that might aid him in advancing his goals.

That was one chilling realisation.

0