Chapter 1
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

4/17/2040

The early morning sun shone through the sky blue curtains. Luca, a 21-year-old man, groaned and covered his head with the plush comforter.

"Does the sun have to rise so early?" he complained. He reached over, took his laptop off the oak nightstand, and turned it on. When he noticed a chat request, his hazel eyes twinkled with delight. When a young man with long brown hair and turquoise blue eyes appeared in the chat window, Luca smiled widely.

"Hello, Pat!" Luca exclaimed excitedly.

"Hello, babe," Patrick said, smiling back. "Are you working today?" he inquired.

"Yeah, I was just getting up," Luca said, nodding. He got out of bed and took a few steps before stopping when he heard, "If I could reach through this computer, I'd grab that beautiful ass."

With flushed cheeks, Luca turned around and faced the chat screen.

"If you keep talking dirty to me, I won't be able to concentrate at work," he explained, placing his hand on his small hips. Patrick cocked his brow and smiled.

"I'll let you go so you can prepare," he said, nodding. "Let's video chat later," Pat proposed.

"I adore you," Patrick said.

"I love you as well," Luca added. They each blew kisses to each other and ended the video conversation.

Luca entered his bathroom, entered the shower, and turned on the hot water. He undressed and entered the shower. Luca sighed deeply and let the hot water run down his stiff body as he stood under the spray.

"He's such a flirt," Luca muttered as he reflected on their conversation. "We're miles apart, but he still loves me," he smiled, as the three words played over and over in his head. When Luca finished his shower, he dressed in his peach-colored hoodie and gray pull-on pants. He tied his long, black hair into a ponytail with a silver tie. Luca made hard-boiled eggs and orange juice for breakfast because he had an hour before work. Luca took his anxiety medication and suppressants right before leaving for work.

Alina, a coworker, approached Luca as he walked through the Starbucks employee entrance.

"Hello there," she said, "you seem upbeat today."

"Hello," he said, "I talked to my boyfriend when I woke up."

"He sure makes it a habit to stay in touch," Alina said with a smile. "Do you ever wish he could come down and see you?" she asked. Luca cast a downward glance at the ground. "Yes, but he can't," he sighed, raising his gaze.

"I apologize for making you sad," Alina said, noticing tears welling up in his eyes. "It's okay," Luca said, wiping his eyes, "but at least we can video chat," he added with a smile.

Luca knew Alina was correct. He felt lonely despite the fact that Luca and Patrick talked every day. Luca immersed himself in his work to avoid being consumed by his sadness. Luca served customers with a forced smile. He was relieved when the four hours flew by. He could go home and unwind before the scheduled video chat. The waterworks began the moment Luca entered. the seclusion of the bedroom. He sagged to the ground and drew his knees to his chest. Hot tears streamed from his eyes and down his cheeks.

Luca sobbed uncontrollably until he couldn't anymore. Because he was crying so much, his throat and chest hurt. He went into the bathroom to wash his face and gather his thoughts. He looked in the mirror, and bloodshot eyes returned his gaze.

"He'll be worried if I have the video chat now," Luca thought to himself. "I guess I'll just text him," he said. Luca returned to his bedroom and took his phone from the nightstand. He went through his contacts and found Patrick's name. Luca began typing after selecting the text option next to Patrick's name.

"Hello there," he typed, then hit send.

As he waited for a response, Luca chewed on his bottom lip.

"I thought we were going to video chat, Babe," Patrick replied. Before responding, Luca deliberated over his words.

"For the time being, it's best if we text," he said.

There was no sign of any typing. Then Luca's phone rang.

He answered the phone with trembling hands.

"Hello," Luca said, his voice shaking.

"What's the matter, Babe?" Patrick inquired, concerned. "Why don't you want to talk face-to-face?" he inquired. Luca's tears streamed down his cheeks. "Luc, please talk to me," Pat said, concerned. Luca's chest felt like it was going to burst.

"I want to see you," Luca cried, "I want to feel your touch," and "I miss you."

Luca sobbed for a few moments. Patrick's concerned voice was muffled and had no soothing effect on the sobbing man.

"Mates are supposed to be together," Luca said without thinking. "Not be separated by a stupid feud," Luca sobbed again. Luca remembered that day like it was yesterday.

***Flashback***

As they approached Luca's house, Luca and Patrick were laughing. They had celebrated Luca's 18th birthday at Olive Garden. They were best friends and were overjoyed when they discovered they were mates.

Patrick and Luca walked hand in hand to the front door.

Pat had kissed him on the cheek and said, "I love you."

"I love you, too," Luca blushed and said. They kissed and said their goodbyes.

***Slap***

Luca's hazel eyes widened in surprise as fists pounded against his cheek, stinging it.

"What was that for?" he asked, turning to face his father.

"How dare you fraternize with the enemy!" his father Carl yelled, his eyes narrowing.

"He's my mate, and I love him," Luca said, rubbing his throbbing cheek.

"Get the hell out of my house," "I have no son who likes guys and associates with the enemy," his father demanded.

***Flashback concludes***

Luca wasn't sure when he stopped crying and when his worries began. He said the first thing that came to mind.

"I'm not rejecting you," Luca explained, "because I love you." "It's just that if we can't be together like other mates," he said after a brief pause. "Then I don't want to be in this world," Luca said before hanging up the phone.

0