Chapter 3
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

4/20/2040

Luca awoke to a blinding light and a splitting headache.

"Where the fuck am I?" he grumbled, closing his eyes and covering his face.

"Babe, you're awake," Patrick exclaimed happily. Luca uncovered his face and peered out from behind the pillow.

"Pat?" he asked quietly. He looked up, puzzled. "Is that really you?" Luca inquired.

"I'm here, babe," Patrick said, leaning in and kissing him on the lips.

Luca was nervous. According to the smell of Jasmine, Patrick was in front of him, but he was afraid it was a bad dream.

"If it is you, what is my favorite type of clothing?" Luca inquired.

"Hoodies," Patrick remarked. "Plus, you prefer pink to black," he explained. Luca sobbed as he clung to Patrick. "I've been craving your touch for so long," he sniffled. "How long will you be here?" Luca wasn't sure if he wanted to know the answer, but he inquired nonetheless.

"I'm not going back," Patrick declared.

"How about the pack?" Luca inquired, surprised.

"I don't want to lead a pack without you," he explained.

Patrick sat down on the bed and took Luca's hands in his.

"Babe, promise me you'll never scare me like that again," he said.

"I was scared," Luca admitted, lowering his gaze. "I thought if we couldn't be together, there was no reason for me to keep living." Dr. Caldwell entered through the open door.

"Look who's awake and cheerful," he said. "How are you doing?" the doctor inquired.

"I'm sore but fine," said Luca.

"You scared us, young man," he said. "Please don't give your boyfriend and the hospital another heart attack," he said.

"I promise I won't do it again," Luca said, making a cross sign across his heart.

Dr. Caldwell ran some routine tests to check on Luca's health. The doctor smiled, indicating that the results were satisfactory.

"If your health continues to improve, you could go home as early as Sunday," he predicted.

"Thank you, doctor," Patrick said, standing up and shaking his hand. Dr. Caldwell said his goodbyes as Patrick turned on his phone again. He frowned at the thirty missed calls. Patrick went through the list, deleting the ones from his father and keeping the rest.

"Would you like to call your friend?" Patrick inquired. Luca looked at the time and shook his head. He explained: "She'd be at work."

"OK, we'll call her later," Patrick said.

Patrick looked up from his phone, noticing Luca's puzzled expression.

"Who was the other call from?" he inquired.

"It's my father," he explained. "Don't be concerned, your lovely head," "I'm not going to talk to him anytime soon," Patrick said as he kissed Luca on the lips. Patrick sat up against the pillow and helped Luca reposition himself so that he could lean into Patrick's chest. Patrick caught sight of Luca stifling a yawn. "Go ahead and rest if you're tired," he said. Luca yawned again. and closed his eyes. Patrick was unwinding when he heard soft snores from his mate. "Sleep well, my precious," he said with a smile. He, too, closed his eyes and drifted off to sleep.

When the door to his room opened, Luca slowly opened his eyes.

"Oh, you're awake," said a male nurse. "I've brought you a menu for your afternoon meal," he explained as he placed the paper on the table.

"Thank you; I'll make my decision in a moment," Luca said. Before leaving the room, the nurse smiled and nodded. When Luca felt the bed shift, he turned to face it.

"Hello there," he said, smiling at his boyfriend.

"Was that the nurse I heard?" Patrick inquired, rubbing his eyes.

"Yeah, he brought in the menu," he nodded.

"You make your choices while I get something from the cafeteria," Patrick said, kissing Luca on the lips.

Luca considered his options as Patrick exited the room. He chose a fruit and cheese plate and chicken noodle soup. He chose coleslaw and baked chips as his sides. He chose orange juice as his beverage.

"Honey, I'm home," Patrick said cheerfully as he entered the house.

"Welcome home, even if it's a hospital room," Luca laughed.

"We'll be home soon," Patrick said, kissing Luca on the cheek.

"I can't wait," Luca said, a big smile on his face. "Does the landlord know?" he asked.

"I told him while I got my food," he said. "And, I don't need to sign anything because I'm already on the lease," Patrick explained.

Luca leaned back against the pillow, waiting for someone to take his menu. Patrick sat at the table and ate his grilled cheese sandwich.

"That smells delicious," he said, rubbing his growling tummy.

"Be patient," "You'll be eating your food in no time," Patrick predicted.

"But I'm hungry now," Luca grumbled. Dr. Caldwell entered through the open door. "Is someone grumpy?" he inquired.

"Yeah, my boyfriend is eating, and I'm here starving to death," grumbled Luca.

"If you keep complaining, they might let you go early," Patrick jokes.

"And that's a bad thing," Luca said, rolling his eyes.

The doctor chuckled as he picked up the menu and approached the door.

"I'll take this down personally," he said before leaving.

"I apologize for being rude," Luca said.

"Don't worry, babe," Patrick said. "I'd be grumpy if I had to watch you eat while my stomach growled," he said. When Patrick's phone rang, Luca raised an eyebrow. Patrick sighed and shook his head in frustration as he looked at the screen.

"Your father?" Luca inquired.

"Yeah," Patrick said, his tone irritated.

"Why don't you explain why you left?" Luca suggested

"He'll just want me to return to the pack," Patrick predicted.

"Would you like to?" he inquired.

"Yes," he said, "but not without you by my side." "Will you, by the way, contact your father?" Patrick inquired. Luca sighed, shaking his head.

"Someday," he said, "but not right now." "I'm still angry at him for kicking me out," he added.

Luca leaned back, relaxed, as Patrick dialed his father's number. Patrick was clearly nervous, and he didn't need a matebond to notice. Patrick's hands clenched and unclenched, which Luca noticed. The conversation then began. Luca wasn't listening in on the conversation, but he could tell by Patrick's red face that it wasn't going well. When the call ended, Luca noticed Patrick was enraged.

"Pat," he said softly, reaching for him.

"I need to clear my mind," he explained. "I'll be back later." Luca's tears streamed down his cheek.

0