Chapter 12: A Momentary Reunion
734 0 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alea saw Tonggong city, where Raya was temporarily staying. The gates were heavily guarded. She noticed this phenomenon as she proceeded further north. Cities and towns around the capital still maintained there day to day runnings as if there wasn't a huge threat looming, but as she got closer the cities became more desolate and guarded. The solemnity of the situation infected the conscripts who have slowly become more silent and taciturn the closer they get to their destination. The commander was well aware of this change, but he wasn't going to try and fix their mood. It was only going to get worse from here. It's better to give them a dose of reality, so they're not totally unprepared for what lay ahead.

Entering through the southern gates of Tonggong, Alea looked up at the behemoth that were the city's walls. The stains, and wear on it proof of its long standing history. She has read the history of this Empire, and knows that this city has passed through many hands in different points of time. But the city still stands, as if what humanity does within its gargantuan walls is not its problem. If this is the second city from the northern border, then what kind of monstrosity is the border city? She's kind of intrigued to know.

Looking at the layout of the city, she knew that from the layout of the streets to how the roads were paved, this city was full of defences. There were inner walls forcing soldiers to be funnelled into areas with no protective ability. Allowing the archers to be unfettered when shooting arrows down upon them.

The commander gave them a break. He had to speak to the officials about the last trek. A very common method when moving through a dangerous area is to move in a convoy. This can scare off any bandits or rogue squads that may be camped around the area. Looking at the crowd in front of them. It consisted of soldiers guarding a small portion of grain and grass. Probably not sent by the court, more likely some being sent from Tonggong itself. There were also escort teams, some bullock carts, and a few standalone carriages.

Alea's eyes were on the carriages, hoping to see Raya's figure. Just so she could pit her mind at ease. It seems Raya understood her thoughts. Seeing someone dismounting from the carriage, she was delighted to see Raya still looked to be in good shape. The north is notoriously colder then where Raya's from. Luckily it wasn't winter yet, otherwise the trip would be nigh impossible.

The people at the gate were amazed to see a petite and beautiful omega so clamly walking towards the conscripts. Many were wondering why such a person was this close to the war zone, and why she was planning to go even further into it. She headed towards the large group of alphas with a determined gait. Everyone was shocked by her actions. Some wanted to warn the little lady that it wasn't safe for her to be so careless. But her steps never faltered until she seemed to stop in front of a huge female alpha. Looking closely at the two. It could be seen that their faces were quite similar, guessing that the alpha there was her relative.

Standing in front of Alea she spoke gently "How was your trip?"

The alphas near the two that could hear the little omega speak, felt that their ears were tingling with her soft and sweet voice.

"It was fine. How about you? Any danger when you came up?" Alea responded worriedly.

Raya chuckled, "Am I not standing in front of you safe and sound?"

Alea could only laugh helplessly at what Raya said. Soon after the commander finished up speaking with the city official and urged the group of alphas back into the formation.

Alea quickly said "Hurry back to the carriage, remember when you get to Kaesan. You should buy a house closer to the area where the officers families are stationed. The soldiers will be better protecting that area".

"OK, I know. I'm heading back now".

Seeing the little omega leaving. One of the alphas turned and asked Alea.

"Is that your sister?".

"No" Alea said coldly, "she's my wife".

The alpha was shocked. Wondering why she was stupid enough to bring such a beautiful omega to the border, especially if it's her wife.

Guessing what the alpha was thinking, Alea remained silent. She didn't care about anyone else's opinion on what Raya and her decided. Their future will be taken step by step, walking hand in hand.

The commander seeing that everyone was ready ordered the match. And just like that, they stepped forth towards their final destination.

Alea's assumption was right. Kaesan was a monstrosity of a city. It looked like it had jumped out of a fantasy game. High walls and huge trenches. Barricades lined the bottom of the walls. There were archers standing no more than three meters apart. With backs straight and indifferent faces. Donned in full battle gear. The gates were shut tightly and apart from the archers that overlooked their positions, there wasn't another soul anywhere in sight.

Seeing the convoy approaching the guardsmen relayed the information to his commander who came to see the situation. The guard commander knew that the conscripts had arrived and quickly sent someone to notify the general, then he ordered the gate to be opened.

Watching the massive doors opening outwards the groups that had never seen such a city were aghast. Not wanting to spend too much time leaving the city gates open the commander of the convoy quickly ordered everyone to enter the city.

The inside of the city was more intricate then Tonggong. It was filled with layers of walls and gates. Each wall was connected by rope bridges at specific intervals, that could be cut or burnt if the enemy army managed to successfully occupy the outer wall.

Gates made of thick iron, that didn't open inwards or out, but used a crank to hoist the solid gates up. This city was a marvel of fortification. The group that didn't have much confidence about the border city showed some relief. After the group entered they quickly split off to go their own separate ways. The conscripts headed towards the barracks and the rest headed towards the city. 

Unfortunately Alea and Raya would have to wait until one of Alea's days off before they could meet again. 

31