V2: Chapter 7 – The Daily Lives of Wanted Murderers | Xard
30 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Announcement
New Volume 3 Chapter(s) Weekly. Volumes 1 and 2 now complete!

◆Xard◆

Xard woke up to the sound of police chatter since he had set the scanner to act as an alarm. He continued to lay in bed for a few minutes, slowly waking up as he listened to see if there was anything interesting happening. It all seemed rather boring so he decided to go downstairs and have breakfast.

Mallea was the only one downstairs since it seemed no one else was awake yet, other than Phon who had most likely eaten already. He thanked Mallea for the food, and went to the breakfast nook to enjoy his meal while watching the news. He was mildly annoyed that all they talked about the past few days was the impact of Common Cards. Some loved it, just as many criticized it, but none of them shut up about it. He understood that he was heavily responsible for this, but still wanted them to move onto new, more interesting topics.

Xard proceeded to the gym afterwards for his daily workout. Given the nature of his curse, he didn’t really need to be strong. However, he knew there would be times when his curse couldn’t be relied on, so he wanted to always have the best capabilities possible. He focused more on weight training, and only did cardio as a cooldown. His curse training machine was very similar to Phon’s, but it used boxing gloves instead of spikes.

It was mostly to train his reflexes. A boxing glove would lunge at him randomly, and he’d have to activate his curse to absorb it before it hit him. When he’d practiced that enough, he’d change the machine to its unlimited mode. This would make the boxing gloves hit him as fast as they could, forcing him to build up a vast amount of energy very quickly. He’d take the hits until he felt like he was going to burst, then unleash the energy into the floor which was a shock absorber.

Xard took a shower afterwards, then donned his combat suit. This suit had become somewhat of a crutch for him, like Phon’s hat or Drim’s cloak and hood. He just didn’t feel right if he wasn’t wearing it. For the past few nights, Xard had been helping a private detective with stakeouts, so rather than looking for a job to do during the day, he decided to go patrol in town.

Hmm, not sure what I’ll do with this, but I guess I’ll buy it. Xard stared into the display case, already regretting a purchase he hadn’t yet made.

“Ha- Have you decided on something then, sir?” The clerk asked him, noticeably sweating a little since a Fiend was in his shop.

“Ah, yes, I’ll have this then,” Xard directed the clerk to an old and battered shield behind the glass. He was currently in an antique shop in Bisomote. As part of his patrols, he was trying to visit every establishment in town and develop a rapport with them. He found that people were more open if you purchased something from them first. This had already proven successful, since he found out about a group of thieves hiding out in someone’s basement from a bakery after he bought out their whole stock of pastries.

Xard then split the order in two, sending half to the town’s homeless shelter and the other to the orphanage. He had a lot of money now, more than he knew what to do with, so he figured he’d do his best to make it work for him. He picked this shield for two reasons. The first being that it was the only item in the shop that even remotely caught his interest. It was dented and scarred, clearly having gone through several fierce battles. He felt that it gave it more personality than a pristine one.

Most likely, he’d hang it up in his room as a wall decoration, since they were still pretty bare. The second reason he chose it was because it was expensive, easily in the top five most expensive things in the store. He didn’t want to choose the most expensive item, an ancient looking coffin, since it would be too obvious that he was just spending money for favor and attention. Plus, it really creeped him out and he wouldn’t be able to sleep with it in his room.

“So, have you noticed anything weird going on around here?” Xard asked the clerk while waiting for the shield to be wrapped.

“I’m not sure what you mean,” the clerk responded sullenly.

“Uhh, like people behaving suspiciously, strangers who stand out, odd noises, that kind of thing,” Xard elaborate.

“You and your lot are definitely the weirdest thing around here,” the clerk boldly proclaimed.

“Well, thank you for your honesty and for the shield. Sorry to bother you,” Xard grabbed his package and headed outside. It felt like a waste of time and money in the moment having visited that shop, but he surely left an impression on the clerk. There was no telling if something good from it may come around in the future.

Xard briefly returned to the compound to drop off the shield, then thought about what to do next. Bisomote was a small, quiet town. It was roughly a fifth the size of Constead with a tenth of the population. While it was good for a peaceful life, it was counterproductive to the goals Xard wanted to achieve. He’d also never understand why the Drazah Duet decided to rebuild here. He understood there was history, and almost a declaration to the world by doing so, but it wasn’t conducive to their business model. For an organization meant to help people around the world, they sure were far away from everyone.

However, those limitations had been greatly reduced recently, especially for Xard. Perhaps the two Drazahs expected that such advancements would be made, and believed the remote location to only be a temporary hindrance. Xard crouched down for a moment, and absorbed a lot of energy. He angled his body slightly, then let the energy pour out of his feet. Xard took off, and began soaring through the sky.

All of his training had proved fruitful, and now Xard could fly. He used energy from his feet to provide the momentum, and energy from his hands to apply corrections. It still wasn’t perfect, and he was far from being able to jet across the whole continent in a single flight. If he did it for too long, he’d start to feel the fatigue from overusing his curse. He’d become liable to mess up the energy output or throw himself off balance. As of now, he’d crash landed more times than he’d like to admit.

For the short flight he was planning, though, it wouldn’t be a problem. Xard decided that since Bisomote was going to be too peaceful today, he’d visit the next closest town and patrol there. He wouldn’t try to create a network like in Bisomote, at least not yet, and focus on actually walking around instead. It only took him a few minutes to reach the town of Hedgehind. His speed didn’t quite rival Phon’s yet, but with enough practice, he imagined he could beat her over a long enough distance where he could really let loose.

Hedgehind was directly south of Bisomote, the closest town by a wide-margin. It was easily three times the size of Bisomote; not quite a city, but close. Xard could definitely flex his vigilante muscles here a bit more, and it didn’t take him long at all to find trouble. He had just been walking down a random street when he heard grunts of pain coming from behind a building.

Xard snuck back there and found three bullies beating up someone, kicking him as he lay fetal on the ground. Not able to stomach watching it any longer, Xard purposefully knocked something over, and made it look like he stumbled into this place by accident. The three bullies immediately stopped and all turned to him. They looked like high schoolers, roughly Xard’s age or maybe younger.

“Sorry, it looks like I’ve interrupted something,” Xard acted aloof. “That looks like fun, though, mind if I have a go?” The three bullies all looked between Xard and the boy on the ground, and gestured with their heads as if they accepted. “Oh no, I think you’ve got it all wrong. I was talking about the fellow on the ground. I’d like a round of that please.”

“You a sick Draz or something?” one of the bullies jeered at him. “Definitely something wrong with your head.” The bullies all started walking towards him, doing their best to appear intimidating. They broadened their shoulders and surrounded him. The victim on the ground, who Xard guessed was most likely their classmate, took the chance to run away. Before he made it out of the alley, the victim looked back at him with eyes of pity, expecting Xard to suffer as he did.

Xard didn’t really like being pressed into a corner by the three of them, so he fearlessly pushed past them and stepped to the center of the area. “Well, how about this? You, with the clear superiority complex,” Xard pointed to the one who seemed like the leader of the group. “I’ll let you hit me as much as you want, as hard as you want. Feel free to vent all your frustration on me, but in return, I get to ask a question for each punch.”

“Are you getting off on this?” one of them asked. “You’re really just some sick freak, aren’t you? You’re dressed like one too.”

“I assure you, I’m very serious about this,” Xard touched his headpiece, deactivating his shock enhancers, and then held his arms outstretched to the side. “Look, I’m defenseless. I won’t hit you back or retaliate at all. Go on, give me a quick jab if you’re unsure.”

The head bully slowly approached Xard until he was a couple feet away. He quickly skirted in, threw a light punch right to Xard’s stomach, then backed off a few paces. “See? Simple as that,” Xard stated. “Now, I’ll ask a question, I’d appreciate it if you were honest. Who was that boy you were beating up?”

“Just some little zjik from our school,” the bully answered. “What’s it to you? You his friend or something?”

“No, can’t say I’ve ever met him before,” Xard responded casually. “Go on then, take your next hit.”

The bully didn’t hesitate this time, going for a gut punch using his full strength. “What the hell?'' The bully was astounded when Xard didn’t even flinch.

“You’ll have to try better than that,” Xard taunted. “Now my question. Why were you beating him up?”

“Tch, the little zjik bumped into me. Instead of apologizing, he took one look at me and then ran away,” the bully gave his reasoning.

“I see, so you felt slighted and disrespected. I can understand that,” Xard acknowledged. This time the bully did a bunch of swift hits all across Xard’s torso. “I said one punch per question but I’ll let it slide. Do you believe beating him up was an adequate response for disrespecting you?”

“Duh. Just because he took it like a wimp isn’t my problem,” The bully didn’t hesitate. Next he tried clocking Xard square in the jaw.

“Have you ever been hit like you were hitting him, or like you’re hitting me now?” Xard asked.

“Of course, I’ve taken some hits. If you can’t take a hit, what kind of man are you?” The bully seemed a little defensive. “You’re basically a living punching bag yourself. I’m starting to like you.” Now, the bully tried kicking Xard in the knee.

“One punch can be strong, sure, but you’re right, it won’t usually do too much damage,” Xard conceded. “But when you add all of them together, you get something really powerful. Want me to show you just how much pain you’re doing to others?”

“Yeah? And what can some freak like you show me?” The bully ignored Xard’s crypticism and went straight for a kick right to the groin.

“Well, let me clarify some things,” Xard articulated. “First, I promised not to retaliate against you, this will stay true. I won’t hurt you at all, but I can’t say the same thing about you hurting yourself. Second, I didn’t introduce myself. I’m Xard Randex, the Fiend known as The Altruistic Artillery.”

Before the bully could react, Xard closed the distance between them. He pressed both hands flat against the bully’s chest and released all the energy he had stored since the first punch. Sounds of ribs breaking echoed through the back alley and the bully was sent flying backwards, slamming into the wall behind him. “That was all the force you used on me. Hopefully, you now have a bit more perspective on what you’re doing to others.”

Xard then glared at the other two bullies who had been watching all of this unfold. “Now then, would you two like a turn?” Both of them fervently shook their heads in response, then ran to check on their friend. “Good, hopefully this will be a lesson to the two of you as well. Call your friend an ambulance.” Xard blasted upwards out of the alley and then perched on a roof above, watching the scene below him. He made sure help was actually coming before flying away.

He walked around for another uneventful hour before deciding he’d done enough patrolling for the day. The only eventful thing of note was that he briefly felt as if he was being watched by a familiar gaze, but it was fleeting. He then decided to head back for dinner before meeting the private detective for tonight’s stakeout. After grabbing some food, Xard went upstairs and threw some regular clothes over his combat suit. Since he was going to a stakeout, it would be too conspicuous, but still wanted to have it on in case something went wrong.

“About time you got here Randex,” A woman greeted him with annoyance, leaning impatiently against her car.

“Uhh, I’m actually really early,” Xard pulled out his phone to confirm the time again. He was there 30 minutes ahead of when they agreed to meet. This time he was in a city to the west of Bisomote, about a ten minute flight for him. “Were you just waiting for me this whole time?”

The woman, Sier, ignored his question and proclaimed, “It’s never too early when there’s justice to be had!” She was very passionate about her job. The two then got in her car and drove to where they’d be staking out for the night. The case the detective was investigating was from a concerned mother. She’d caught her daughter doing drugs, and wanted it traced back to the source.

The first night of the stakeout they watched the daughter until she bought drugs from her dealer. The second night they watched the dealer until he went to his supplier. Tonight, they were watching the supplier’s warehouse, assuming that it was where the drug was being made. So far, Xard hadn’t done much during the stakeout other than be another set of eyes and keep Sier from getting too bored or falling asleep.

“So, you got a girl back home?” Sier asked him a couple hours into their stakeout.

“That has to be the 9th time you’ve asked me that, and for the 9th time, I’m still gay,” Xard groaned.

“Alright fine, you got a boy back home?” Sier adapted her tactic.

“Err- well… I mean, kind of, I guess,” Xard was immediately flustered.

“So, you’re interested in someone but have made absolutely no progress,” Sier easily deduced. “Tell me about them.”

“Uhh, I’d really rather not,” Xard implored.

“You’re no fun…” Sier sighed. “Well, let’s see… I’m sure I can figure this out. Given your current background… It’s that Drazah boy, isn’t it?”

“Wow, you can actually be good at your job when you try,” Xard deflected.

“Hey, I’m always good at my job,” Sier insisted. “Just look how much progress we’ve made in this case in only two days. It’d take other private detectives weeks to get this close.”

“Speaking of, how long are we going to sit here?” Xard inquired. It was pitch black out now, and it had started to rain.

“Well, we need proof to be able to close this case,” Sier informed him. “We need evidence that both drugs are being made here, and that they’re selling them.”

“Wouldn’t the recording of the deal between the daughter and the dealer be enough?” Xard questioned.

“No, that only proves that he’s a dealer, not that he has any connection to this place,” Sier clarified. “Plus, that would convict the daughter as well. I’d rather her not get taken in just because of a few bad choices.”

“So, how exactly do you expect us to get proof just sitting out here and watching?” Xard wondered.

“You’ve gotta have patience,” Sier preached. “It could take days or weeks, but our opportunity will come. Plus, if we can ever confirm the place is empty, we may do a little bit of sneaking around inside.”

“Won’t they get suspicious of the same car being nearby day after day?” Xard questioned her plan. “Worst case scenario, they’ll try to kill you.”

“That’s what you’re here for,” Sier explained, not seeming worried at all. “If things get dicey, you’re my protection.”

“Honestly, it might be worth asking Phon if she’d agree to help,” Xard put forward. “Though I’m not sure how willing she’d be if she couldn’t kill them. She can see everything, and can essentially use thoughtography, so you’d have your proof in seconds.”

“What a scary power,” Sier relayed. “I’d rather her not realize the profitability of it. She could put me out of a job easily.”

“Well… it might not have to do with my curse, but I think I can still be of use besides just muscle,” Xard mentioned. He stepped out of the car and into the rain, doing his best to dishevel his appearance.

“Hey, what are you doing?!” Sier nagged at him.

“Just keep the camera rolling, I’ll leave my phone recording audio too,” Xard told her before he headed to the entrance of the building. He scruffed up his hair a bit more and then banged on the door. There was no response after a minute so he banged again. He kept knocking loudly on the metal door until someone eventually opened it.

“What?! What do you want?” A man belched at Xard as he swung open the door. It was a different person than the drug dealer they’d tracked here, but it shouldn’t matter for now.

“Uhh… he- hey man I- I just wu-wanted to buy some of the- well you know,” Xard was purposefully acting as jittery as possible, and forcing himself to shiver because of the rain.

“Cosmos’ sake, what the mawhg did you come here for?!” the man raged. “Who told you about it? I want a name!”

“C'mon man… I jus-just want some, okay? Then I’ll l-leave,” Xard insisted. “I’m good for it.” He pulled out his Common Card and showed an amount to the dealer

“Ugh, fine, but you better scram afterwards,” the man demanded. “And don’t tell anyone about this place, got it?!”

After scoring the drugs, Xard scampered back to the car once the man headed inside. Sier immediately thumped him on the head, “What was that?!” she yelled at him. “Are you insane? Yes, that’s evidence, but you’d get convicted for buying it too! Just because we’re doing it for a good cause doesn’t mean it’s fine.”

“I’m already a wanted criminal, why would I care?” Xard rebutted.

“Well- well that’s a good point,” Sier backed off, then grabbed the small baggie from his hands. “Do you know what this stuff is?”

Xard stared at it for a second. It was a bunch of rainbow-colored tablets. “Mood-Mod, right?” It was a drug that caused the user’s emotional state to change, usually causing a reversal of their current emotions. If they were sad, it’d most likely make them happy. If they were angry, it’d most likely make them calm. However, it wasn’t guaranteed what emotion they’d get, and could end up with a completely random one. Prolonged use could cause emotional stunting, and eventually leave the user as an empty husk that couldn’t feel anything.

“Yeah, you seem to know your stuff,” Sier complimented him. “Most people don’t understand just how dangerous it is. I was addicted to it myself a few years ago. It can turn a completely ordinary person into a raging lunatic. One bad dose is all it takes to ruin someone’s life beyond repair.”

“So, we still need proof that they’re making it in there, right?” Xard asked for confirmation. He tugged at the camera on his phone, and the lens popped off of it. Then, he placed it on a button on his shirt. The lens camouflaged itself into the button and could be used for secret recording. He would have used it for the deal just now, but it would have only recorded the drug dealer’s torso. “Okay, I’m going back in.”

Sier tried to stop him again but gave up almost immediately. What Xard really wanted to do was just bust in there, knock everyone out, and then get the evidence he needed. However, that could be twisted later as falsifying or planting evidence. He’d need to get the proof first, and then he could bust heads if he felt like it. Xard banged on the door again, this time tapping it nonstop until it swung open.

“You little zjik, what are you doing back?!” The drug dealer seemed both annoyed and wildly confused. “Don’t tell me you took all of them already and want more!”

“Heyyy man! Nah, I’m doing great!” Xard was acting like a completely different person. “You helped me, so now I wanna help you! I’m gonna help you make so many drugs!”

“Cosmos, just what kinda mood did that put you in?! Maybe we better double check this batch!” the dealer grumbled.

“Hurry up man! I’m raring to go!” Xard pushed past him and headed into the building. There was nothing on the bottom floor so he quickly headed up the stairs. A few seconds into the next room was all he needed. Dozens of sketchy looking individuals were making drugs, including the dealer they’d tailed, and now he had it all on film.

“Who is this guy?!” a woman yelled once they finally noticed Xard.

“Ah, sorry about that,” the doorman-dealer barged into the room, grabbing Xard by the arm. “Just some junkie on a weird ass trip. You guys should double check what you’re putting in that stuff. I’ll get rid of him.”

“Make sure he keeps quiet, one way or another,” the woman insisted. The man tried to pull Xard away but he didn’t budge an inch. Xard then started laughing. It was a bit more maniacal then normal, making him wonder if the fumes of the place were getting to him.

“It’s cute that you think you can get rid of me,” Xard sneered. “Is this how you really want to spend your last day before you’re locked up?” Xard put his hand to the man’s forehead, and knocked him out in a split-second. He then rushed around the room, knocking them out with concussive blasts one after another. A few tried to shoot him, but of course it was entirely ineffectual.

Xard exited the drug production building within five minutes from when he entered. He was fiddling with his phone as he walked back to Sier’s car. “I sent you the recording, let me know if you need anything else in the future. I’m gonna head home and get warm.”

“Sure, I’ll keep you updated,” Sier grinned. “Keep an eye on the news tomorrow. This will be on the front- no second page is probably more realistic, but you did good. Thanks for you help. I’ll certainly be requesting your services again, assuming this doesn’t get my license revoked. Good luck with wooing your boy!” Before Xard could reply, Sier sped off, leaving him standing in the rain with a red-flushed face.

 


Thanks for reading this chapter. Feel free to leave a comment or review. I'd love to hear from you!

If you have an idea for a Fiend or Lesser, feel free to leave a comment or send me a DM and I may use them in a later Volume!

More information about the series such as the Wiki and Social Medias can be found on the Fiends For Hire LinkTree!

What should Xard do with the shield he bought?
  • Wall ornament Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Candy dish Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Sled in the winter Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (Leave a comment) Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 3
2