V2: Chapter 3 – Shoddy Craftsmanship | Part 3 – Unexpected Variables
36 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Announcement
New Volume 3 Chapter(s) Weekly. Volumes 1 and 2 now complete!

“So what do you think of my invention professor? Do you think it will get me in?” Nathym asked the professor while visiting his office. A little more than two months had passed since Kassin’s death. Like last year, Nathym had opted to stay over the summer break rather than go home. Not that he would be allowed to if he wanted, since his parents had stopped speaking to him.

“This is truly incredible, Nathym. You’ve just jumped up to my prize pupil. I can’t see how you wouldn’t get accepted with this,” Professor Qusiir answered. Qusiir was Nathym’s engineering professor, and by far his favorite of the lot. They had spent a lot of hours together as Nathym would often seek him out for additional advice. “Tell me, what inspired you to make it?”

“Ah, well you see… before my brother died, he was salacious and a bit of a player. It turned out that he managed to get a few women pregnant,” Nathym recounted. “However, one of the women decided that she wanted to keep it, but about a month ago there were complications. The doctors told her it would be her life or the baby’s. She called me up, erratic and crying, and a sudden burst of inspiration hit me. It’s hard to explain, but I just somehow knew exactly what I would need to make.”

Nathym’s invention was an artificial womb. It allowed a fetus at any stage of growth to be transferred inside, and it would develop exactly as it would inside of a mother. The only additional effort that needed to be put forth was putting in nutrition tablets every day since they wouldn’t be able to get it from any other source. It even had its own backup power supply which would function for up to a week without being plugged in, incase of an emergency. “I’m proud to say that last week, her healthy baby boy was born,” Nathym smiled.

“Truly astounding,” Qusiir commented. “I’m glad you landed on your feet Nathym. I was worried when I heard you suddenly stopped showing up for classes, but was relieved when you still submitted an invention by the deadline. I have to say, you look great, all things considered, though it’s a bit weird seeing you in a hat. I don’t know how you can stand it in this sweltering heat.”

“Aha, well it doesn’t really bother me much,” Nathym brushed it off.

“Do you mind if I ask how it works?” Qusiir questioned him. “I get the concept, but the specifics are hard to imagine.”

“You see, well that’s the thing,” Nathym let out a sigh. “I was able to fully recreate a schematic and I’ve triple checked all the data from it, but for some reason I can’t really seem to properly put the mechanics of it into words.”

“That’s quite an issue,” Qusiir admitted. “The expo is next week, isn’t it? If you’re unable to present it properly, it won’t matter how amazing that device is.” The expo he was referring to was a semi-annual event in Logyst. People from around the world were allowed to come and present inventions to a panel of judges regardless of scientific background to try and secure funding.

The reason Nathym was interested was because it could fast track his education. Normally, the graduate schools only accepted those who had fully completed a four year degree, but there was an exception that allowed someone with two years completed to start early if they had an invention funded.

Nathym just sighed again, unsure of what to say. He knew this already, but was unable to come up with a solution. Qusiir leaned forward in his chair and sat in silence for a minute. “I assume this isn’t your only copy, yes?” he asked, to which Nathym nodded. After another minute of pondering he said, “Okay, here's what I’ll do. Leave this copy with me for the next week and I’ll study it, then I’ll meet you in Logyst on the day of the expo to give you my notes. I have business there anyways, and I wouldn’t miss out on supporting my prize pupil.”

“Wow professor that’s… thank you so much. I don’t know what to say,” Nathym expressed cheerfully.

“Think nothing of it,” Qusiir smiled back. “You’re the one doing me a favor. It’s not every day I get to evaluate such an amazing invention.”

Nathym turned to the door to excuse himself, but stopped after a single step. “Professor, one more thing,” Nathym said, now much more shy and quiet. “Have you… heard from Cast? She uhh… she hasn’t been talking to me.”

“Oh, I’m so sorry. Didn’t you hear?” Qusiir relayed. “Cast dropped out of school.”

“I see.” A sudden twinge of pain stabbed Nathym’s heart as he left the room.

◆◆◆

Nathym stared at his phone nervously as the crowd of fellow inventors in the staging area slowly dwindled. It would be his turn in no time, but there was no sign of Professor Qusiir. Nathym had received a text from him this morning when he inquired which said, ‘Don’t worry, I’ll be there’, but it had been radio silence since. Nathym had arrived in Logyst yesterday and spent the night in a provided hotel, but he was unable to sleep, which really wasn’t helping his stress.

“Oh, there you are Nathym!” he heard suddenly. He was filled with immediate relief, but when he spun his head, it wasn’t the person he had been expecting. “I was beginning to think I’d never find you,” the woman said. She was toting a baby-carrier basket.

“Gratzi? What are you doing here?!” Nathym was stunned. He hadn’t seen her since her baby was born.

“Silly, I’m here to support you of course,” she replied. “It’s because of you that both Kathym and I can even be here. Plus, I thought that if you needed proof that your machine worked, well it’s right here! Isn’t that right Kathym…? Ah, it seems he’s all tuckered out from the trip. That’s too bad, I know his adorable face would help calm down his uncle.”

“Thanks, I appreciate it, really. This whole thing has gotten me a bit stressed,” Nathym said, feeling a bit more relaxed now. He was a bit unsure about having a child named after him and his brother, but he guessed that they were in fact the two men responsible for bringing him into the world. A few minutes later, Nathym’s name was called with still no sign of professor Qusiir. There was no more time to stall, he just had to go out and hope for the best.

“You’ll do great, I know it,” Gratzi cheered him on before he headed out. The venue was much more intimidating than Nathym had already feared. When he heard about the expo, he had just imagined presenting his idea in front of a handful of people in a small room. Instead, he found himself on a stage in front of thousands in a layout similar to a concert hall. Apparently, this had become one of Logyst’s most famous events. There were five judges front and center, already eyeing and evaluating him as he made his way forward.

The presentation went off better than he had expected. He was able to keep his cool and present both the product and data professionally. Then it came time for the Q&A he had been dreading. The first few questions weren’t awful, similar to ones Qusiir had asked him before. Finally, the dreaded question came from one of the judges. “In your own words, could you explain to us how this device functions from start to finish in a typical cycle?”

Nathym felt like there was a gaping hole in his body as he thought about how to respond. Over the past week, he had thought of over a hundred lies and possible explanations that may be close to the truth. Unfortunately, he could never bring himself to commit to any of them, knowing it would be much worse in the long run if he were to be found out later. “I’m afraid I don’t fully understand all the complexities of it myself,” Nathym answered. “I know how to make it, and I know how to use it, but as for why it's successful... I’m sorry, but I just don’t know.”

Murmurs spread throughout the audience before one of the judges asked, “Do you really believe mothers would be able to trust your device? You just admitted to not understanding it. How can they put their faith in it and you? Their baby’s lives are at risk.”

“I understand that concern, and it's completely valid. I do have proof it works, however. With me is a mother and her child, both of whom survived because of it,” Nathym gave his defense. “I know that it would be hard to go off my word since I am still an inexperienced student. If it came to it, I would be willing to split the patent and profits. with someone more capable than I am. Then we could figure out the specifics of it as a team.”

“That certainly is generous and humble,” another judge commented. “Most of these applicants would never dream of sharing their work. I imagine there would be some even at this table who would be willing to accept that offer.”

“I’m afraid I can’t allow that!” a familiar voice boomed from the audience. A man stood up, and began walking towards the front. Nathym felt so relieved when he saw that it was Professor Qusiir.

“Ah Qusiir, it’s been a while since we last saw you here in Logyst,” one of the judges proclaimed.

“Yes, I took a break to dabble in some teaching. Young Nathym there is one of my students,” The professor told them. “He was one of my prized pupils, so it is with a heavy heart that I must do this. The reason why he can not explain how it works is because it is one of my inventions! Yes, Nathym was a big help in creating it, but he was no more than an assistant. Now, he has stolen it to present to you all as one of his own!”

Nathym couldn’t believe what he was hearing. This didn’t make any sense to him, and he couldn’t understand the professor's actions. Normally, he would start to feel nauseous and dizzy like he was about to faint in this situation, but somehow he was able to keep his composure. “Do you have evidence to substantiate your claim?” another of the judges asked. It was nice to hear that they wouldn’t immediately take him at his word.

“Yes, I do!” Qusiir announced as he held up a file. “I have a full write up of the inner workings and mechanics of the device in its entirety, which I know my poor student has been unable to provide. I also have the original prototype of the device with me.”

“Then this has become quite the serious accusation, Mr. Cyper,” a judge directed at him. “If this is found to be true, not only will your application be immediately rejected, but you will also be banished from any future expos as well as blacklisted in all official Logyst scientific communities. Do you have anything to say in your defense?”

Nathym’s mind started racing. He was trying to think of what to say, trying to understand why this was happening, and desperately trying to figure out the functionality of his device to prove it as his own. It became too much, their stares were burning into him. The whispers in the crowd started to sound like shouting. He couldn’t take it anymore, all his dreams were crashing down around him. Nathym couldn’t think of a way out of it, and eventually there was only one instinct left in him. He ran.

Nathym bolted off the stage, and ran through the staging room past Gratzi, who was calling out to him, and a crying Kathym. Once he got outside, he didn’t even think about where he was going. He ran through the streets, wandering aimlessly, but his legs never tired. When his tears finally stopped, he looked to see where he was. He was at a dead end in a back alley. There was quite literally nowhere left to run, so he just slumped against the wall.

Not a moment later, a shadowy figure descended from the sky, landing in front of him. They were wearing all black, and had a hood up, covering their face. For some reason, Nathym felt comfortable again, like he had been saved, but didn’t understand why. The person walked over to them, and stared at him for a moment. Am I about to get mugged? Nathym thought. That would just be the perfect end to the worst day of my life.

The next thing Nathym knew, the person’s face was mere inches away from his own. He stared at the green eyes who were staring back at his own. Wait, is this- Nathym’s thought was cut off as the person lifted Nathym’s hand and sliced it. “What the hell are you-” Nathym was the one to cut himself off this time as he looked at his blood. The copper colored liquid had begun to dribble down his arm. A second later, the bleeding stopped.

“You’re like me, aren’t you?” The boy lowered his hood, exposing his face clearly. Nathym could immediately tell something was off about his hair, just like his own. The boy pulled Nathym’s hat off, and his platinum strands of hair fell down around his head. “But you’re not like those with red eyes. You killed someone, didn’t you?” Nathym felt panicked once again, just like he had been moments ago at the expo. “Was it someone you loved?”

This new question shocked Nathym, having not been expecting it. There was no way, right? Kassin was a terrible person who had ruined his friend’s life, but then again… “Of course I loved him,” Nathym cried out. “He was a bastard, but he was still my brother.”

“I see. That has to be a connection. The one my sister met said she loved them too,” the boy stated. “May I see your mark?” Before waiting for permission, the boy was already lifting up Nathym’s shirt and searching his body. Nathym had no idea what was going on, but he immediately knew what he was talking about: the strange pattern of gears that had appeared on his back after he killed Kassin. Nathym turned around to show it to him.

“How did you find me anyways?” Nathym asked to try and stifle the awkwardness of being inspected.

“A good person was running from a bad person, so I wanted to make sure they were okay,” the boy said as if that was something normal. “I didn’t think it would be you that I ran into, though. I’m very glad.”

“Oh, why’s that?” Nathym was astounded once again.


The boy pulled out a hilt and a piece of wood. Nathym recognized them as his weapons back from the night in the forest, or what was left of them. “I was here to find someone to make me a new one, but luckily I ran into you,” the boy said happily. “Do you think you’re good enough now to keep your promise? I’ve also started using a bow, and would like to incorporate that somehow.”

No, I don’t think I am, Nathym thought to himself. You wouldn’t want me, no one ever will. However, Nathym’s eyes began to feel weird as a picture suddenly was out the forefront of his mind. He could now clearly visualize a weapon, exactly how he had the idea for the artificial womb. “Yes… yes I can do it! I don’t know how I know, but I can,” Nathym shouted full of pride. Somehow, this boy had saved him once again. He was a wreck a minute ago, but now after just talking to him for this little amount of time, he felt like everything would be alright.

“Your eyes… So then that must be your curse,” the boy remarked. Nathym was extremely confused again, and he guessed it showed on his face. “Would you mind coming with me?” The boy asked. “It seems we have a lot to discuss. I’m Drim by the way, Drim Drazah.”

◆◆◆

“So you didn’t get weirded out when you heard Drim’s name?” Phon asked Nathym when he finished his story.

“Honestly, I was so caught up in the moment it didn’t even register until much later,” Nathym answered. “By the time I realized, I already knew what kind of person Drim was, so no, it didn’t bother me.”

“I didn’t know you were listening in,” Xard commented.

“It had Drim in it,” Phon scoffed. “Of course I was listening.

“Agreed,” Mallea chimed in just as abruptly. “I will always appreciate stories of the young master that I was previously unaware of. Feel free to tell me more any time.”

“So, how did you know your curse's name? I wonder if mine has one too. I wanna know!” a somewhat more lucid but still semi-dazed Kada shared her thoughts.

“I don’t know, I just knew it,” Nathym responded. “Sorry, I’m sure that’s not the answer you wanted to hear.”

“Feel free to ignore any dumb questions from her in the future,” Phon stated seriously.

“Yes, well, it has been nice meeting you all, but I really feel I should be getting to work,” Nathym changed the subject. “If I could get you all to help me bring a few supplies from the pile, then I will begin creating what we need in that warehouse space you mentioned. Oh, and please send Kada my way once she has sobered up, I will need her assistance.”

A couple of hours passed after those instructions. Everyone in the group, excluding Mallea and Kada, helped move the requested supplies, and then went back about their daily routines as normal. When Kada was feeling better, she went to Nathym who had her melt several deep holes around the perimeter of the compound. Nathym then had her remove all the liquid using her curse. He then constructed large pylons in these holes that stuck out a fair amount both above and below the ground.

As the rest were settling in for dinner, Nathym asked them to come outside to show them his completed work. They all stood out in the middle of the field and stared up at the sky. Nathym pushed a button on his phone, and a glow of pink shimmered in the shape of a bubble around the entire compound before it vanished.

“Awesome, it was a success,” Nathym proudly declared. “What I have just made is an impenetrable force field around the entire estate. The only thing it will allow through is validated users, wind, and a toggle option for rain and snow depending on what you guys want at the time. It also goes quite a bit underground so we don’t have to worry about attacks from there either. Don’t worry about power lines and pipes, there are exceptions for those as well.”

“That’s incredible!” Kada cheered. “That means we can finally come and go as we want, right?! I kind of feel like I should be bowing down right now. Nathym definitely has a sort of deity radiance going on in my eyes.”

“Another magnificent invention,” Xard agreed. “Is it alright if I ask what powers it? I imagine it wouldn’t be cheap if we used a standard power supply.”

“Ah, that's fine because I actually know how to answer that one,” Nathym relayed. Before he could answer, that same familiar buzzing sound filled their ears. “And the answer is conveniently timed,” Nathym smirked. The CP made their daily bombing run, but as to be expected, the bombs immediately exploded when it hit the shield. However, the explosion seemed to be sucked into the pink glow before it faded away once more.

“Well, that explosion alone should cover us for about eleven months,” Nathym told them once he had checked the data on his phone. “So basically, that’s how it works. It steals the energy from the bombs and stores it for its own use. I’ll ask that you wait until they figure out they’re helping us Kada, but after that, feel free to fire as many of your stored up bombs at the shield as you want.”

“I think that might be the single greatest day of my life. I can’t wait.” Kada was teeming with excitement.

“Now, if you all will excuse me,” Nathym gave a brief yawn. “It’s been a long day, and I’ve been dying to try out the hot springs I’ve heard so much about. You don’t need to worry about my accommodations, I’ll take care of them on my own. Though, I will likely be requesting Miss Mallea’s assistance with some of the finer lavishments. Those were never my speciality.”

“Of course, anything you need,” Mallea gave him a bow.

As Nathym headed off, he stopped by Drim who was standing a bit away from the rest of the group, and put his hand on Drim’s shoulder. He then said quietly so that no one else could hear, “It seems you haven’t told the rest of them about Project Fiendless. I take it I’m supposed to be keeping it a secret then?”

“For now,” Drim answered in a hushed voice as well. “I can’t say where their ideals fall yet, and I won’t let anyone stop us, even them.”

“Fine by me,” Nathym said a bit cheekily. “I’ll leave them to you. I know my part in all this. Don’t worry, with us working together we’ll see this through to the end. Even if the whole world is against us. They seem nice, though, so maybe it won’t come to it. I’d tell them sooner rather than later if you don’t want to see them on the opposing line, but it’s your call. Have a nice night.” Nathym headed off towards the mountain to enjoy a well deserved soak.

Fiends For Hire Text Conversation 7

Date: Trimayber 26th 2077

Mallea: It’s my first time in one of these group chats. Please treat me well.

Kada: Gross, don't be so formal Mallea, and hang on, I’ll get to you in a second.

Kada: So Nathym, what ever happened with that scummy professor. Did you ever get your sweet revenge and murder him too?

Nathym: Uhh, no, nothing like that. He actually got a grant and was successful for some time. However, some anonymous person a few years later may have put out better and cheaper models of all his current inventions that didn’t violate his patents.

Nathym: This may have driven him completely out of business, and led to investigations into his research where it was found that he had stolen a few other inventions, leading to his arrest.

Kada: Cosdamn, that’s so satisfying. Okay, Mallea! Wouldn’t you be able to duplicate anything Nathym makes using your weird brain copy thing?

Mallea: I’m afraid not, though I have tried. Anything he makes naturally I can memorize as usual. However, any time he uses his curse, the process doesn’t register as a complete action so I am unable to reproduce it.

Nathym: That’s good to hear. I was actually a bit worried that I wouldn’t be as useful once I heard about you.

Kada: Don’t worry Nathym. No matter what happens you’ll always be the guy who gave me a bunch of sweet zjik.

 


Thanks for reading this chapter. Feel free to leave a comment or review. I'd love to hear from you!

If you have an idea for a Fiend, let me know in the comments or a DM and I may use them in a future volume!

More information about the series such as the Wiki and Social Medias can be found on the Fiends For Hire LinkTree!

Should Drim divulge his plans even at the risk of damaging his friendships?
  • Yes Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 3
4