Chapter 5 – Diplomacy
77 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ademsari District, Runepolis
15 February 1639

Ademsari District, one of the largest districts in Runepolis, the greenest one, and also apparently, the most less populated one. Not because it was not suitable for a large population though, but because of the orders from the Emperor himself.

Why?

It's not known why the Emperor gave that order, but some said that area was the Emperor's private land, as known when the emperor's usually take a break on the Ademsari District.

Still, there are some areas that have buildings, although only near the borders between Albion and Ademsari district. The buildings there were mainly either Apartment or government Offices since the rising Mirishial population and government took more and more lands. The Emperor then allowed the use of this small piece of land to be used for the National needs.

One of the buildings was the Sojak Apartment, an apartment used by the Ministry of Ancient Sorcerous Empire Countermeasures employees, as can be seen from the text written in front of the gates to enter the apartment. The light from the lamp directed to the text made it easier to be seen, especially in the current time. Suddenly, another light appears out of nowhere which then lights it. Soon, a car engine could be heard. After the car took a turn, the blue light that lit it disappeared as the car started to enter the apartment building.

The car then eventually stopped at the security checkpoint. When a man walked towards the car, the windshield on the driver side was opened. It then reveals a middle aged man who was looking at something in his wallet.

"Ah, Minister Harman. Another busy day?"

The man who was called as Harman then turned his gaze from the wallet to the man. What lies in his vision now was a man in a white shirt and black pants. A uniform of a security guard.

"Yeah, just like another day. There is one thing that makes it different though, we got an increase on the budget but...."

"But?"

The face of Harman changed from a tired face, to a gloomy one. The security guard immediately felt guilty for asking that. When he was about to say just forget it, Harman already answered him.

"Hah, you know, we got another project to be finished in three years while the current project itself isn't yet done."

"Well, maybe you can... ah, forget it."

Harman immediately turned his gaze back to the front after saying, "Okay. See you later. "

The car then moved again, and after taking a turn to the right, it disappeared from the ground, as the car went down to below the surface. It was an underground parking lot, otherwise known as a basement, something that was relatively new in the Holy Mirishial Empire.

"Hah, now, what should I do?" He asked himself.

After the previous meeting, the government ordered the Ministry of Ancient Sorcerous Empire Countermeasures to increase their development progress. At least, they are not just simply saying that, but also increased the budget as a compensation.

"Budget got increased, but damn those people, asking for new weapons when they're always rejected our creations after the first test. Fuck it!" Cursed Harman while getting out of the car, then slammed the car door harshly.

After he closed his car doors, his eyes caught someone standing in front of the stairs, which was located directly in front of the car. After he walked closer, he finally recognized that guy.

"Mister Xu, what are you doing here?" Asked the Minister of Ancient Sorcereus Empire Countermeasures, Harman Wickensen.

It's just natural for Harman to ask since Mister Xu is the Assistant to the Minister of Foreign Affairs.

"Before that, sorry for my rudeness but, did your vision get worse or what?"

"It's just that I'm overworking myself, I just need to sleep. Again, what are you doing here?"

"Well, I came in here on behalf of the Minister Reiga, and Andre."

When Xu mentioned those two names, Harman narrowed his eyes.

"What?"

"....."

"What are they needed from me?"

Seeing Harman's face full of confusion, Xu didn't immediately answer him. Instead, he put a smile on his face first. Harman, on the other hand, didn't understand why this Assistant was smiling at him instead of just answering his question.

"Please answer immediately or I will leave," He warned.

Xu still smiled which made Harman annoyed, but he didn't need to wait too long for the answer.

"Something that you know very well," Xu replied with a vague answer, making him more confused.

----------

"Hoahm."

A man in a dark coat appeared to be dozing off. He began packing some items because his night duty was still pretty long. He then proceeded to the bookshelves, where he searched for a book that piqued his interest. His hand reaches for a book titled 'The Eight Empire: What Is Gra Valkas Empire?' after some time.

"That country," said the guard.

He then carried the book to his top-floor office. He walked from stair to stair till he could finally sit in a chair with a view of the buildings. On the right, there's also a view of the harbor.

The frigid breeze blows into his post, but he can ignore it because he already has a coat and a magical lantern, so he can ignore it a bit. His hands then began to open the cover, skipping the first few pages before turning to the Table of Contents.

The first words he noticed, 'Yggdra, the Home of Gra Valkans,' piqued his curiosity. However, when he returned to the bottom of the page, he was significantly more interested in the issue that had caught his attention: 'Gra Valkans Jet Airliner, Looking At Their Technology.'

"The Gra Valkans has jet!?" exclaimed the guard.

As far as he knows, the Gra Valkas Empire was in the East, where technical growth was slower than in the West and Central, especially since they were in the Far East. The fact that they already have jet engines whereas Mu has only recently begun to have them was surprising and seems to be unbelievable.

While staring at a page, his hands gently converted the book page into the table of contents. "Hmm, life in Gra Valkas?"

He quickly went to the page indicated on the table of contents and began to read it.

It was explained that the author of the book had resided on Gra Valkas for roughly 2 years, or 1 year after his country, the Parpaldian Empire established diplomatic relations with them, and he needed to wait for the Gra Valkas to accept a tourist visit according to the Prologue. However, he chose to stay because he wanted to build a business there after receiving permission from the Gra Valkas government, which considered Parpaldia as a viable economic partner and thus granted him easy permission. At least until the relations between Gra Valkas and Parpaldia became strained.

There were also photographs as a proof, which showed high-rise buildings with a tram in the middle of the road. The guard who read it was taken aback because he hadn't expected it.

He was about to read a section that described the common attitude of the people of Gra Valkans when he was distracted by a noise. So he moved his gaze to the source of the sound, which was from the sea. Light can be seen from afar, indicating that some ships were approaching the harbor. That must be the former Patrol Squadron. However, there were only six lights, which made him wonder where the other ships were.

----------

Wilhelmina Airport
Special Administrative Region of the Kingdom of Paganda

The engine of a plane bearing a Ministry of Foreign Affairs sign was being turned off. The plane door was gently and cautiously opened by a crew. Then, from the plane, a figure identified as a Ministry of Foreign Affairs envoy emerged. Descending the ladder that had been set up in front of the plane door.

An officer from the Imperial Leiforian Navy stood in front of him and saluted him, to which the envoy answered and greeted him.

"Thank you for your welcoming," said the envoy who then handshake him.

"Yes, now please follow me this way."

Both of them began walking off from the Military airport. The Ministry envoy, looking at the base's conditions which seemed to be heavily guarded with anti air weapons. He didn't know why, but he had a bad feeling about this.

"So, what about the newly founded country who said they are from a country called Erusea?" asked the envoy as he didn't want to be thinking more about this situation in the base.

"Ah yes. They seem to be coming from the west. Oddly enough, they were so civilized, not like what we expected."

The last sentence made the envoy raise his eyebrows.

"What do you mean by that?"

"Well Sir, the only known land that was located in the west was full of backwards and barbaric civilization, according to the latest record from 50 years ago. Of course, we thought that it was impossible for a civilization to be that advanced in a span of just 50 years."

Hearing that, the envoy put his right hand on his jaws. On average, it took around 60 years for a country in the Mu Continent to develop itself. It was too fast for some people, but considering the threat posed by the Holy Mirishial Empire, the development was compelled to take place as soon as possible. That is, therefore, acceptable.

"Understandable. So, with what kind of transportation they used to travel all the way to our country?"

"There is one big ship that was longer than our battleship, but it didn't have any main guns. Seems like they haven't placed the main guns or something that we don't know the reason for. And additionally, there are 4 ships escorting the supposedly unfinished battleship and well, weirdly enough, longer than our cruiser. Yet, those ships are armed with only one single cannon."

"Weird."

"Exactly."

After some moments of talking, they finally arrived in the parking lot.

----------

In a room inside of the Battlecruiser Kerberos, a man who wore a black suit grabbed some documents and placed them inside of his file folder. While on the chair, another person was looking at his phone. Judging from their suit, it's easier to say that both are diplomats who were sent to Leifor.

"I just opened Gründergram, it seems like the whole country already knows about the sudden transference."

"Really?"

"Yeah, even the Erusean News Network finally covered it too."

"Well, now it's up to the higher ups on how to handle it."

Suddenly, the room door opened and revealed a man in a suit with a role folder on his right hand saying, "Sir, the translation has been completed!"

The diplomats who were gathering some documents then stopped, placing all of the documents he got on the desk before looking at the man in the door. After he noticed who that man was, he then immediately walked to the door.

"Very good, thank you very much for your work."

"You're welcome, Sir," the man replied.

"It seems impossible to do it in just one night, but you can do it. How, may I ask?"

"Well, I got the help of Artificial Intelligence. The machine translator application I have on my laptop is the newest version which has an improved translation so it's not that hard to translate this document."

The diplomats were left stunned with this explanation and wondering, "Why didn't I think about that before?"

Seeing the diplomat in front of him stunned, the translator immediately said, "I have another thing to do, so please excuse my sudden leave."

After the translator left, the diplomat who received the translated documents said, "Damn, I should not have acted like that."

"Yeah, but it's just normal for doing that."

Hearing what his colleague's said, he can feel calm now.

"Hmm, Belkan language. Is it just a coincidence that this country also speaks Belkan, or not?"

"Maybe it's just a coincidence. After all, it's another world. Let's just hope this country isn't that kind of nation who is likely to trigger or cause war."

"Yes, me too," said the man after finishes checking that all was completely translated.

Both of them then began walking towards the door, where they would begin a diplomatic conference with the country of Leifor. The first meeting with a country in this new world, where they knew nothing about it aside from satellite photos and reconnaissance planes.

When they're about to reach the exit door, there are four men waiting for them, three of them holding a weapon. After they were already close enough with them, one of the soldiers walked and not long then exclaimed, "I'm Corporal André Patou from the Royal Erusean Marine Corps, Sir! "he said while saluting.

"Louis Jonathan, " Jonathan replied when he also saluted the Corporal.

"We will ensure your safety while in this country. "

"Thank you very much. And, may I ask who this person is? " Jonathan asked while looking at the person who was not wearing any military uniform and gear.

"Ah, this person is an interpreter. He is actually a Marine that can speak Belkan fluently, but we think it would be better if he was not wearing those military things."

"Sergeant Martin, ready for duty!"

"Very good."

He actually thought that Admiral Ratex himself would be the interpreter, but this is also okay. After some small conversation, they then began walking towards the exit door. After they arrived, there were stairs that were already prepared as a way to get down from the ship. There are several individuals waiting for them at the bottom of the stairs. They're dressed in a formal outfit, indicating that they're either their guide or government officials.

"Are you the Erusean delegates?" asked one of them.

"Yes, we are." Martin said.

"Good. Now, please follow me,'' said one of the guides who brought them to the conference room. There, several Leiforian government officials and military officers were already waiting for them. Jonathan and his envoy immediately took their seats after receiving their greetings.

"Now, we shall start the first diplomatic discussion between the Empire of Leifor and the Kingdom of Erusea," said the Leiforian Ministry of Foreign Affairs representatives.

"Mr. Jonathan?" he continued.

As the only person who actually can speak both Erusean and Belkan, Martin continued to interpret the conversation, amazed the Leiforian who didn't know that this person can speak Leiforian very well.

" Yes. On the behalf of the Kingdom of Erusea, I would like to thank you for receiving us nicely. And also, I would like to emphasize our regrets for violating your airspace several times."

For the Leiforian, the last line was shocking. It's inconceivable for Erusea, who are believed to be located on that western continent that was technologically inadequate and inferior, as far as they know. As a result, Erusea's assertion that they were responsible for all of the damage and violation seems implausible.

The Leiforian Ministry of Foreign Affairs representatives immediately dropped his jaws after hearing that. Then seconds later, with a very shocking face he asked, "I-I-Is...is that true?"

Jonathan knew very well that his answer would bring a devastating result to this conference, or maybe better results. Telling the truth probably will alarm them but, there's no way to hide the gigantic Arsenal Bird so, he chooses to tell the truth, as he prepares weeks before.

"Apparently, yes. Some of our aircraft had violated your airspace for recon purpose. So, in this meeting, we would like to emphasize our apology."

Herman feels something is wrong. He didn't want to believe it, but to make it sure, he decided to ask, "Is the aircraft you referred to is the Unmanned Giant White Flying Object? "

"Ah, unmanned? Is it this?"

Jonathan immediately grabbed his phone, then typing something before showing it to Herman, who was confused about the thing. But after he saw the image on it, he replied with, "Yes, correct."

"Apparently yes, it's called the Arsenal Bird. It's a thing that can carry unmanned combat drones. The Arsenal Bird itself, of course, is unmanned too."

Some of the Leiforian officers drop their jaws again, while Herman is still trying to be calm although his eyes widened. Herman then turned his gaze at the Leiforian Officers, with an eye like asking, 'What should we do?'

It's not long for him to get an answer, although probably not like what he wanted.

"Nice joke, Mr. Jonathan. But, it's not funny," an Officer said.

"To be honest, I'm not joking, it's a fact."

Jonathan hands went inside his briefcase to pick something from there. Then, when he got it, it turned out it was a brochure, which he then gave to Mr. Herman. The officer then looked at it too, before they were set aback by the truth. Although it's dubious information, they cannot just ignore it.

"Once again, I, on the behalf of the Kingdom of Erusea, would like to emphasize our regrets for violating your airspace several times."

Sense of fear creeped into them. Herman, of course, well knew that he couldn't just trust the information given by Jonathan. But, if that's true and something bad happened, not only him, but the entire Empire would also receive the consequences that were caused by him. Surely, his name would be written in history as the person who brought his country into extinction if that really happens. Pushed by that thought, he immediately made a move before the Officers.

"We accept your apologies. May the relations between our country be blessed by God."

Jonathan nodded his head.

"But, the higher ups wouldn't be satisfied with an apology, for sure. They will ask for something in return."

"I understand."

"Now, we want to know who we are exactly talking with?"

Jonathan gathered documents from his briefcase, and his assistant gave it to Herman and the Leiforian Officers.

On the documents, it was stated that Erusea is a Constitutional Monarchy with a size of 1.6 millions kilometers square and a population of 114 millions people's. The Kingdom of Erusea is also the strongest and largest country in the continent of Usea too, possessing the most well equipped and trained military personnel…."

"..... what did he just say?"

Herman didn't understand why Jonathan included the military part on these documents. Aside from this, every information on the documents were useful enough to give him a view about the Kingdom of Erusea. The military part though, giving him a bad sense about the Erusea. Are they a kind of expansive nation who didn't use war as a last resort? He didn't know anything about the continent of Usea, but it must be full of war or something. Especially when he remembered about that Giant White Flying Object, or called the Arsenal Bird by the Erusean, who violated their airspace and caused some damage. He also can feel the same thoughts are on the Leiforian Officers mind near him.

"*Cough* Anyways, here's some information about our country," Herman said as he didn't want this situation to keep continuing.

Herman gave Jonathan and his companions documents regarding the general information about the Leiforian Empire. A constitutional monarchy that was also the second strongest country in the continent of Mu. It was also stated that Leifor is rich in natural resources, giving a hint from where the money to support their military is coming from.

"Now, since you have read it, may we know what your impression is?"

"I'm interested in the fact that your country is rich in resources. The Kingdom of Erusea is resourcesly hungry to feed our large industry. We may be interested in making a deal about it."

"Understood. Now, may we go ahead to the next part?"

"Sure, please lead us."

"This way."

----------

While waiting for the food to arrive, Corporal Patou said, "I think the military part is unnecessary. "

"Well, it's actually necessary. "

"Why? "

"Leifor is a country who is still in the early 20th century era of technology, maybe not that early, but still. "

"So, you are using our world as an example? "

"Of course, what else would I use, that novel book called Assault Horizon? "

"Eh, you are right. "

After Patou said that, the food finally came and began to be placed on the tables. The head of the Erusean Diplomatic group, Louis Jonathan was looking at the food given by the Leiforian. There are some that are familiar in Erusea like bread and sausage, but for some, it was quite shocking.

"This food was so similar to the Belkans one!" exclaimed one of the Diplomat.

"You are right!"

The staff there were confused about what they were saying, since he doesn't understand their language. But, it seems they were interested in their food, so he decided to go back to the kitchen and bring more. Another staff member also decided to bring some drinks.

The Erusean diplomat, who didn't understand why they got another food can only stare at that additional food and give their thanks. Then, they started to eat those foods. Following the instruction from an officer who brought them here before.

Suddenly, the phone rang, causing Louis Jonathan to raise his hands and say, "Excuse me, I need to answer this call!"

Soon, he stood up and walked outside. The name of the caller was Ratex, so he immediately answered it.

"Good afternoon Admiral Ratex."

"Good afternoon Jonathan... have you heard the news?"

The question made him raise his right eyebrow.

"What news, Admiral?"

"The death of Rear Admiral Chiyase."

".... he is dead?"

"Yes, this morning. "

"May God forgive his soul........ I will try to attend the funeral then.”

"Well, good to know. See you later, then."

Port of Lelystad

The crew of Kerberos were looking at the bunch of Leiforian crews. Their eyes were full of anger and pissed. Not because those people were doing something bad to their ships, but they were mocking their ships.

"This ship is useless," said one of the Kerberos crew who understands Belkan language, translating what the Leiforian said about their ship.

"The other ships are also...I don't know about this word, sorry. "

"They are long like a cruiser but lacking in armaments. Their bridges are also longer than the Holy..what, Mirishial? Ah yes, Empire ships! " The said crew continued to translate their conversation.

"Hmm, longer than Holy Mirishial? Now I'm curious about the capabilities of the Erusean Navy."

"The Mirishial ships were meant to be great, but they're terrible! Those Erusean ships are most likely worse like the Mirishial!"

"Ahahahahahaha!"

The Erusean crew became angered after they heard it. As much as history tells them, their ships aren't bad. The Aegir fleet sank because lack of fuel and more to surprise attack by a certain fucking overpowered muted pilot. So, there is no reason to judge it.

"These people are still in 1910s era technology! How the fuck they can say our ship are bad!?" shouted a crew member.

"Yeah! I want to go kick their ass! Officer, please let me kick their ass!"

"Yeah, I want to slap their ass!"

Suddenly, a man with a rank higher than them appears and said, "No, I won't let you all do it."

"Why?"

"We are coming here to escort our diplomatic group. Doing that thing could start a diplomatic incident."

"But sir, they are the ones who started it!"

"They would say that we are the ones who started it."

"Guh, understood."

Near them, some Leiforian Officers who were previously inside of the meeting room watching at the Erusean ships and its soldier's or sailor's. For them, the Erusean ships are a weird design with some similarities to the Holy Mirishial ones, but the Erusean are more weird.

"Look, their soldiers are wearing a weapon that is similar to the Holy Mirishial Empire standard issue rifle. "

The other officers then looked at their weapons more precisely. After a few minutes, they nodded their heads in agreement.

"Yeah, that is similar enough. I wonder if their equipment is also bad in quality and performance. Hahaha."

"Yeah, I guess no. The Mirishial equipment is decent though. "

"How so? "

"I must remind you that their rifles were good. The accuracy is good, and the rate of fire is also good enough. There's no problem with their rifle, even superior to ours, same with their tanks. It's just that their air force and navy were so bad compared to Mu. So then, we should be aware of this country. "

The other officers after remembering the Holy Mirishial Imperial Army were stunned. No one ever talked about them, but always the navy or air force. So then, after they remember about that branch who are the hardest one to be defeated even by Mu, they decided to just nodded their head in agreement and watching the Erusean ships again.

Notes

1. The size of the Kingdom of Erusea is taken from a calculation by Ace Combat Fan. Available on his YouTube channel or Reddit post

4