Ch.5: Farewell Draconia
42 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

City Draconia was beautiful, Syn thought. 

Rays of sunlight shone through the gargantuan dome portals and brilliantly illuminated portions of the city. Indirect light brightened the rest and glowing crystals shined along the streets to ensure comfortable use. The internal skyline was crowded with dips and rises from both the standing and overhanging buildings. Marbled, painted, tiled, bricked, wooded, plastered, and bannered buildings altogether created a mosaic for the eye whether one looked up or down. 

But it wasn't the view that made the city beautiful, Syn knew, it was the people. 

Down below, the streets were bustling with activity. People going to and fro all throughout. Above, they walked on bridges and catwalks. And the air was filled with dragons and griffins as they flew from place to place. Each person as unique as the buildings that blessed this city. 

Surely Draconia was the rightful claimant to the Myriad Empire. 

Syn wished the best for their futures, for happy lives that they didn't have. This broken world weighed them down, brought low by injustice and endless wars. They deserved the hope that dwelled within, which was eager to be fulfilled. 

He would be leaving this great city soon. 

Syn was attending his farewell get together, a small gathering for those closest to him: Vispis, Cyrus, and Felix. It was being held on a balcony of the royal spire, with a grand view of the city. They were situated around a table with tasty snacks spread across it. Syn had finally gotten around to telling his friends about the events that had propelled him into the debacle that they had all witnessed. 

Syn concluded his explanation with reassurance. "I've had time to come to terms with it. It was just the shock at the time was more overwhelming than I expected." He finished by swallowing a small skewer worth of seasoned meat. 

Vispis slithered to him and held his shoulder to show her support for him, "Oh, love, you only did what you thought was right. I think that makes you more resspectable." She stared up at him. 

"Wow, I didn't know you had that in you," Felix the phoenix-tiger griffin commented and sipped his iced drink. 

"That was really thoughtless for you Syn," a scowling Cyrus scolded. "You have to think or the next debacle will ruin your life!" His tail swayed anxiously while he speared a piece of fruit with a claw. "And now what am I going to do while you're gone for who knows how long? You better come back soon, else I'll waste away from boredom." He froze the fruit with his breath before eating it. 

"Now you're sounding even more worried about this than my own father," Syn prodded Cyrus with a wingtip. 

Cyrus went silent as he pouted, slouching over the table with wings drooping and a sour look on his face. 

Vispis interjected while gripping his arm with her polished claws, "But Syn, I also pray for your safe return. I can't bear to think of ssomething happening to you." 

Syn caressed her cheek, her decorated hood flared. "Vis, there's nothing to worry about. Our destiny is to be together, remember? I'll be sure to return and make that happen. That is a promise." He booped her snout. 

She smiled timidly and moved back to the cushion that was her spot. "That reminds me," she added, once she had coiled up, "have you opened that gift I left you?" 

"I promised to not open it until after my recognition," Syn answered, looking at her coyly. "Which just so happens to be postponed." He shrugged his wings. 

"I think you should open it before you go," Vispis objected, her hood rings jingled. "I hope it will remind you of me while you're away." She swayed back and forth. 

"Very well," he conceded and stuffed a fork of hot pasta in his mouth. 

They all entered an amiable silence while they ate dinner. 

Felix was the first to break silence. "So what is to happen with Zeritha's circumstance?" He asked Syn as he looked over at her. 

Zeritha had been quietly standing watch, as she normally would during the prince's social activities. Though, now she took interest as her name was called and she and Felix's eyes met. 

Syn answered Felix's query, "My father was able to free Sylphie officially. He also agreed to house all of her siblings while she is away with me. Though, I'm not sure about their upraising in their new circumstances." He rubbed the spines of his chin in thought. 

Felix splayed his wings in excitement, "My family could host them!" Realizing his outburst, he quickly composed himself before continuing, "House Horozon is decently sizable but sparsely filled, and my mother can't wait until one day where I might add to the family." 

Vispis chided, "I doubt this proposal would fulfill her wishess." Her tongue flitted out at a spicy pepper she was holding, which she then popped into her mouth. 

Felix rolled his fiery eyes, "True, but until then I am sure she would welcome this. She misses the days of my youth, and I desperately wish to distract her." 

"That would be beneficial for you as well," Syn added, looking at Felix intently. "To distract yourself while your father is away." 

"Oh great!" Cyrus roared, reaching for the sky melodramatically, "So now not only will Syn not be around, but you'll be too busy to hang out either." 

Felix was thoughtful for a moment, then gently suggested, "Why don't you consider visiting and helping me out?" He took another sip from a smoothie. 

Cyrus' ear frills stood wide in surprise. He was uncertain, "oh... ehh... hmm... maybe?" He said, noncommittal. 

Syn curved his neck back to Zeritha, "What's your opinion, Zee?" 

Zeritha stepped forward while her large tail did a swish "I am honored, my lord. Sir Felix, truly? I would be indebted to you." She bowed and crossed an arm and a wing over her chest. 

"Do not think of it as such!" Felix waved his talons. "I was moved by the story of your devotion. Of your love for your sister." He looked her in the eye again. "Consider this a generous sign of respect for a griffin of your caliber." 

"I accept gratefully, sir." She rotated her head to Syn, "My lord?" 

"I will need to bring this up with my father, so that he may make the appropriate changes." Syn explained. 

Syn looked around at each of his dear friends. He would miss them in the coming days, though he wished it wasn't so. He decided to take a glass and stand, "With that, I propose a toast." 

They all took their drinks and stood up with him. Zeritha stood aside. A comforting breeze accompanied them upon the balcony. 

Syn looked on his one side at Vispis, "To a yearning return." He looked across at Felix, "To dependable families." Then turned to his other side to Cyrus, "and to short-lived farewells!" 

They all clinked their glasses together as friends with good cheer. 

*** 

The king, the prince, the prince's bodyguard, and the prince's military advisor were riding in a closed carriage towards the docks, where they would soon be departing. 

Syn was wearing enough of his armor barding to portray a convincing royal heading off to war. Shiny golden plate hugged his body and red cloths hung from his form. He wasn't wearing a helmet or any neck guarding, instead he wore his platinum circlet. The rest of his full armor was bound in his luggage. He thought it looked fairly stylish, and his scales complimented it well. 

He had opened his gift from Vispis. It was a chain amulet that looked like two tails intertwined into the shape of a heart. A tiny second heart was shaped by two heads nuzzling. At the center was a large pink and white scale, also faintly shaped like a heart. It fit securely as he wore it proudly around his neck. 

"A keepsake from your fiancée?" Lord Horozon observed, rubbing the bottom of his beak. "I have one for my family as well. Best to keep such things close, for they may comfort us in our darkest times." 

Pyram regarded the amulet for a moment before adding, "At the very least, it will remind you of what awaits upon your return." 

Zeritha remained silent, knowing it not her place to talk amongst superiors. She was wearing her full battle kit and matte armor. 

City Draconia was several miles from the nearest waterway, a bay on the edge of a large gulf sea. A wide channel had been dug from the waterfront to the city, allowing ships to dock right outside the dome walls. The military docks, however, were safely secured within the walls. 

Right now those military docks were bustling: shouts and thuds echoed about while supplies were being loaded and troops waited to embark. A hundred wooden warships were preparing within their walled slots, with cranes and levels of platforms all throughout. The royal procession out of the city would begin shortly. 

When the carriage arrived at Syn's ship, the prince and company stepped out to be greeted by a handful of acolytes from the Covenant. 

A covenant priest stepped forward, an iridescent wyvern, and spread his rainbowlike arm-wing over his chest as he bowed. "Greetings, your majesty, on behalf of the Covenant I am to accompany you on your pilgrimage. My name is Kaleid and I am a Fictis, a scribe and historykeeper." 

Pyram's whiskers flexed out inquisitively as he arched a brow, "What place does a religious scholar have in a military campaign? Is it not too hazardous for the Covenant to send one such as yourself, instead of an Imagi?" 

Fictis Kaleid wiggled his own scaly whiskers, excited while he responded, "Right sir! But I enthusiastically volunteered. I believe that the prince is destined to accomplish great things. And I want to be there to record these events, when they happen." He turned to Syn, clasping his claws, "I will also be a personal witness to the completion of your pilgrimage." 

Syn smirked reluctantly, "Good to meet you, my own personal historian." He shook his paw then looked around witnessing everyone's busyness and promptly added, "Let's not spend much time idle, we need to get going." 

Syn took a few strides but then noticed a number of slaves carrying his luggage, following him. 

Pyram laid a claw on his pauldron, "How do you like them? They're to be your own accompaniment while you're away." 

"Why, you shouldn't have," Syn muttered, following up with, "Don't have much of a choice, now do I?" His wings drooped as well as his long tail. 

"Don't be so close-minded, my son." Pyram consoled him, arm around Syn's spiny armored shoulders, "With time, you'll come to see the benefits of such arrangements." 

With that, the king said his farewells, leaving Syn with this final message: 

"When you return, you will be a changed dragon. One truly worthy of his position and praise. May your future days be filled with glory." 

Thus Pyram left to go take his place and pontificate to the masses. 

Syn and company boarded the royal flagship Draconia. It was a metal ship of impressive size, one of only few in existence. The hull was painted red, and it had gold plated railings, windows, and battlements. An enormous flag waved above, also bearing the Draconia colors and emblem of red and gold. The massive sails were of similar coloration. 

The ships began to set sail, proceeding down the channel with the flagship in the lead. 

Syn took his place at the beak of the ship, spreading his wings and waving to the crowds that had gathered at the banks of the channel. They had gathered to say goodbye to their own loved ones, or to witness the prince and forces of Draconia on the move with their own eyes. All along the channel they were, with some spots dedicated to the larger houses. 

His father was stationed atop a pedestal, from which he spoke to the audience about this grand event. It didn't really matter what words he used, as long as they filled the people with pride and hope. 

Syn took notice of his friends as he made his way passed. Many distant friends that he recognized waved him goodbye, and he waved back. 

He saw Vispis among the Varn family. She was wearing a similar amulet to his, except the scale it held was gold and black. She was wiping tears away with some tissues while she waved at him. 

He saw Felix with a bunch of smaller griffins, Sylphie amongst them, who waved excitedly when they saw their big sister pass riding the pretty warship. Zeritha also waved to them in her own reserved way. 

And he came by the Coranas, where his best friend Cyrus shouted at him, "You better come back or I will take your place!" 

Syn shouted back in return, a smile spreading across his muzzle, "I'll be sure not to let you do that!" 

Seeing all these lovely people reminded Syn what he was really fighting for. A city grander than any in the world, not for its construction or the beauty of its design, but for the people that called it home. For them, he wished their prayers answered while he led their members in war. 

And so, the naval procession made its way to the bay. The dome silhouette of the city sank beneath the blue horizon as they headed their way into the deep blue sea.

3