Ch.4: Schemes Foreign and Domestic
48 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The King of Draconia, Pyram Sevis, was busying himself by addressing several problems that he had recently been made aware of the past several weeks. 

He had not lived 360 some odd years by sitting idle on his throne and allowing his enemies to take moves against him unopposed. But even his proactive measures to ensure a flawless ceremony for the prince had failed him. It wasn't just the coverup: silencing witnesses, fabricating events, pacifying victims; but his monitoring of rivals hadn't alerted him, nor had his spies intercepted anyone from reaching out to the Covenant. He had been unable to conceal the truth and he had been completely blindsided, but he couldn't allow such a thing to occur again. 

Now the king sat on his throne, rhythmically tapping his claws, his mind racing while he thought of possibilities. The Grand Fantesh had always been resistant to his silver tongue, but had never been politically active before, so it was unlikely that he had found this out purposefully. That didn't rule out the rest of the covenant, however, for its roots were deeply intertwined with the greater culture of the entire world. The thought troubled him, but for now he could only wait while his spies collected intelligence for him. 

Pyram's throne was made from pristine marble. It had thick red cushions and coverings with golden embossing. It was also capped with golden decorations that featured many pearls. The seat was large enough for him to lounge in luxury. 

The throne room was semicircular, and behind the throne was the strong load-bearing central column of the Royal Spire. The room was lit by bright crystalline chandeliers, but also prominent stained-glass windows lined the perimeter. Walls and columns were adorned with fine tapestries and signature Draconia banners. The floors were polished to the point one could see the reflection of the vaulted ceiling. At the far end of the room from his throne was a staircase that led up from a waiting room below. 

Syn was ascending those very stairs and stepped onto the long red-and-gold rug that stretched all the way to the throne. 

The king knew the prince needed comforting, he'd been disgraced and was nervous about his upcoming responsibilities. So the king spoke to him. It didn't matter what words he used, as long as they were the right ones to encourage the young prince. 

Then Pyram gave Syn advice, advice that he himself used often: 

"Remember that the power of a dragon and of a ruler both come from the breath. Your voice is your greatest asset, rely on it, use it purposefully, and it will bring you far." 

Syn seemed affected by this, and Pyram knew his words had succeeded in their intended purpose. 

*** 

Inside the king's war room the lords of the great houses had gathered to plan for the coming campaign. The room was dimly lit by glowing crystals, but the prominent long table was brightly lit by spotlight focused lattices above. Each chair that surrounded the table had inbuilt crystals that illuminated the occupant. At the end of the table was the kings seat, which allowed him to oversee the entire situation on the table.   

The prince was seated at the right hand of the king, where he had the chance to display his etiquette competency throughout the meeting. He was wearing his princely vestments: his circlet and red robes with a golden trim and accents. He was successful in portraying a reserved persona. Despite his title and role in the coming operation, he had little input and was mostly there to understand the overall situation as well as the initial planning. 

The meeting started with a recap on current affairs. The continent was fractured between numerous countries and nations which varied in size and governance. A Covenant mandate barred either Draconia or Draconis from directly annexing land on the imperial continent, here forward referred to as Myrrah, the same name as the now ruined imperial capital. 

Instead the two world superpowers controlled vassal states, held alliances, waged proxy wars, and negotiated agreements in order to exert their influence. Myrrah was divided up as a third Draconia, a third Draconis, and a third independent. This was not represented by pretty, contiguous borders or frontlines, but by allegiances which were scattered and twisted throughout the entire continent. 

The ruined city Myrrah was located on a prominent peninsula which jutted into a gulf that cut deep into the main landmass. It laid within the borders of a principality which had remained neutral by necessity of the Covenant. 

Syn's pilgrimage would make landfall at the nearest controlled territory and travel through to the ruins by land. It was too dangerous to go through the gulf, for it was well controlled by a hostile nation of islands and atolls. The journey would already be travelling by treacherous waters, and a naval convoy would not survive well against an enemy which thrived in maritime warfare.

When the pilgrimage was completed, the prince's retinue would reconnect with the main force and march with allied forces on a Draconis controlled nation.

After defenses and domestic affairs were accounted for, an allotment of forces and supplies were assigned to the military campaign. Finally came the time for leaders to be selected for their roles. 

Pyram addressed the lords, raising a foreleg to silence them, "Thank you, my loyal subjects, you serve me well. Now who is to accompany the prince, my son, as his advisor?" 

He settled himself as several lords volunteered. Of course, he already knew which one that he would choose. 

He looked to a griffin who was usually eager to please him. "Lord Horozon, your son is well acquainted with him, would you desire that honor?" 

The cardinal-tiger's crest raised at his acknowledgement, "I would, your majesty. You honor me with this opportunity." He looked to Syn, "I am looking forward to serving with you." 

At this, several lords voiced their objections. 

Lord Corana, a platinum scaled dragon, complained that his son was also a close friend of the prince. 

Lord Varn, a long red feathery dragon, argued that his daughter's fiancé deserved a future relative as his advisor. 

Lord Blueron, a blue jay-cheetah griffin, reminded the king that he had promised him a special assignment. 

Pyram raised his voice, overwhelming but calm, "Cease these arguments! The matter is settled. Lord Blueron, I have a most important mission for you in the meantime. Lords Corana and Varn, you are both needed to carry out matters in the homeland and ensure its defense. The rest of you will have your assignments in the coming campaign." 

The lords calmy deliberated the best possible arrangements. Naturally, the skarsh lords would be in charge of the navy. Centaurs would have authority over land logistics. Griffins would take support and reconnaissance roles. Dragon lords would hold command of various combat forces and any other positions that needed to be filled.

After all the important decisions were made, Pyram stood in order to finish things up. "Now let us hear agreement on these future plans."

Each lord stood up and stated their approval.

Pyram concluded the meeting with a declaration: "My generals, my admirals! Prepare yourselves for acts of valor and great feats. For our largest effort should be on presenting Draconia a victorious prince. A symbol of hope and future for many, that is what is at stake here!"

With that, the war council was over, and the king and prince exited through a different door than the other lords.

Syn thought it a bit strange that the meeting went so smoothly, but his father had a lot of weight among the noble houses, he supposed.

As they were walking Syn questioned his father, "Why assign Felix's father to me? Is he really the best choice?" 

Pyram regarded him at his side and explained, "Besides already having a connection to you, house Horozon is small yet ambitious. They welcome the idea of increasing their meager renown among the other houses. And they are too small to overshadow your accomplishments, but could be blamed for any failures should they occur." 

He said these things matter-of-factly and with a straight face, "Who wouldn't take advantage?"

*** 

There were plenty of things that Pyram and Syn did not see eye to eye. The war, the details of social hierarchy, and the big one: slavery. 

Syn would refuse the use of servants for menial or banal tasks, instead preferring to do things himself when possible. Pyram thought this naive and idealistic. Syn just didn't know how useful these things were, but Pyram knew that in time he would learn to take full advantage of these circumstances. 

Syn had also argued with him that the war had gone on for long enough, that it should be ended. But Pyram couldn't just end the war with his rival, King Orrus of Draconis. They both held deep grudges against each other, and peace wouldn't be a possibility. If Syn wanted the war to end, Pyram hoped he would crush his rival's future and squash any claims that he may hold of imperial ascension. Yes, this war would only end with one of the kings' deaths or a full surrender, this Pyram was sure of. 

Pyram wanted to see the amusing look of despair on Orrus' face, as he finally got his long awaited revenge. 

Now only Syn could help him do that, so Pyram would do all he could to prepare him, to raise him up to be the hope of all the world. This would cement his victory over Orrus, over the world, in the annals of history for all time. 

Pyram was lounging on his throne again, stewing over the obstacles still in his way, when his spies delivered to him an intelligence report. There were only a few leads on the origins of the ceremony debacle, but several traitors had been dealt with quietly and a few captured. It wasn't much, but with more digging he was sure to uproot the problem in time. 

He reclined his head on an arm. 

Meanwhile, he needed to figure out the best way to deal with those directly responsible. It's not like revenge was productive, but Pyram was excellent at putting it to good use, and he couldn't just let the guard captain or business owner get away with openly defying him. 

He couldn't be too conspicuous with his schemes, he had an important image to uphold after all, and taking direct action on those that had defied him would be too obvious. No, he wouldn't risk another scandal to his reputation, that might undermine his legitimacy as ruler. 

Instead, he had an idea for the slavemaster. With the recent mobilization, the kingdom would require more slaves to service the army. As slaves were taken from the seadragon in question, he would be found to be breaking the law in some way. This way he could be punished 'legitimately' while also vindicating the prince. 

Pyram tasted delight as he was fed grapes by a comely zebra centauress servant who had delivered them on a shiny silver platter. His whiskers wiggled pleased as he thought of solutions. 

As for the Guard Captain Norris, that would be more difficult. But after their agreement that he had broken, he also had to be punished. It didn't help that the name sounded like his rival's either. Then Pyram got another idea. What if some tragedy were to occur to Norris or his family? A tragedy that appeared a freak accident, or an act of God? Yes, God punishing persecutors of the righteous prince, that would be the rumor. 

Pyram waved his sword tipped tail in the air with glee. He was going to be plenty busy while the prince was away. 

Announcement
Added a couple of glossary items, just some clarifications, appearance tracking nothing impressive.
4