Chapter 5- Don’t Pay Attention To The Weirdo
81 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Now that you’ve all gotten yourselves acquainted here-”, a professor declared to her students.

“It’s time all of you get yourselves geared up.”, she finished.

Today is the third day of classes.

Right now we’re going off to [Weapon Selection].

In the novel, this event defined what weapons the main cast would use for the rest of their life.

Anyone is allowed to change their weapon, but ultimately no one strays from their original decision unless they find their power attracted to something entirely different.

Well, now that I’m thinking about it, there is one…

But that’s a story for later.

Right now I need to determine my weapons of choice.

In the program, you are allowed to choose at most two weapons.

Some would choose a singular sword- or double sword.

Some would even choose simple knives.

“Everyone meet your resident field

combat instructor- Mr. Hardy.”, she told the class as a tall man stood before them.

Mr. Hardy is one of the reliable instructors here in the program.

He often helps Adrian with his problems as he takes a liking to the prodigy almost immediately.

“As Professor Lei has introduced you- I am Mr. Hardy. We’ll be having you kit yourselves out with your weapons of choice and we’ll be allowing you into the training hall for the first time to see your skills.”, Mr. Hardy explained to us.

“Think of the rest of today as a free period. It’s up to you what you choose to do.”, he concluded.

“Oh- and don’t fool around.”, he quickly adds before leaving to open the Armory.

Although he may seem detached towards us, in actuality he would put anyone else’s life before himself.

If a student proved their worth here in the program Hardy would seriously take the time to help them develop further.

“You have 25 minutes to decide your weapons- so choose wisely.”, he announced to us.

We looked around the large armory to see rows and rows of weapons lit up by white lights that lined the shelves and tables to make the room seem cool and more futuristic.

As everyone else started to walk around and gaze at the collections I already knew what they were going to decide on.

Adrian Day: the sword.

Chiae, the spear.

Damian, the battle axe.

Lena also with the sword- although she would come to realize where her true powers lie later on.

And Emma, who already had an elegant sword crafted by her country as a weapon similar to the cutlass.

I- who already knew their choice- walked over to a katana and outfitted myself with a scabbard to go along with it.

After that, I moved to pick up my second weapon.

This one would be my primary weapon considering its usefulness.

I glossed over the cage the weapon was held in before taking it into my hands and examining the weapon.

Chiae looked over in my direction and noticed my choices.

“The hell?...”, she whispered loudly.

Other people began to look towards me with strange looks as I found a proper sheath for my weapon.

“Hmm.”, Hardy uttered. 

“What is it?”, Professor Lei asked.

“That student over there- he’s unique.”, he pointed out.

Lei became puzzled after seeing what he meant.

“So it seems…”

I walked to the door of the armory to signal that I was done.

When Instructor Hardy allowed me to leave for the training center I walked past everybody else who had a look of confusion towards me.

Before leaving I could hear Lena mutter a few words:

“A katana and a gun?...”

***

A katana and a gun.

Yes. It was unordinary.

But to me, it was capable enough for now.

And in the state I'm in now I need to train as much as I can.

I never received any experience with a katana or a gun during my previous life, unlike everybody else in my class.

I needed to take as many opportunities to be versatile as I can to level up.

After I went to the training center, instead of training with my weapons I decided to take the time to continue my research.

Ever since I arrived here I’ve diligently researched this world and ways to empower myself.

Using my knowledge of the novel is going to prove to be an invaluable tool for my goal.

First, I needed to retrieve an item- the <Fruit of Eden>.

The fruit “unclogs” your mana, or in other words, it makes it easier for your mana within you to be controlled and flow more smoothly. 

Since I never talked about this before- let me make it easier to understand what I’m talking about:

In this world “mana” exists- which is an invisible element like oxygen that flows throughout the air and can be used to empower your abilities.

The reason for the existence of mana is an event that happened decades ago- when a meteor shower hit Earth.

Little did society realize that within the stones contained unimaginable power.

As a result of the spread of mana, monsters became attracted to this world.

Fortunately, by then humanity was well into developing with mana and managed to fend the invaders off. 

Going back to the fruit, this item would help me extremely.

Essentially, the item helps me make it easier to use my powers and takes away the limits of my mana.

In the original novel, Adrian took the Fruit of Eden and instantly became stronger.

Second, I needed to learn a "Sword Style".

Sword Styles are combat styles specialized in different fields.

There are 13 special arts overall, but there are only 4 out there that are the best amongst the rest, and also the rarest.

There’s Keitoshi, Juji, Gannes, and Veial- each named after the creator of the style.

Juji was focused on the mastery of all attributes of the sword- so this style was generally geared towards regular swordsmen.

The German-originated style, Gannes, was more focused on tanks that wished to slam and slash with immense power.

The Veial was more elegant and defined than any of the others. This one was geared toward mages as this style was compatible with magic.

And then the one I’m going for:

Keitoshi.

This style specializes in speed and unleashing powerful attacks in mere milliseconds.

It was essentially like becoming a human bullet.

This one fits me the most.

Unfortunately, the only way to obtain one was to go through a trial imposed by the original creators that are supposedly found in different dungeons around the world.

As for my gun, I planned to hone my accuracy and hope to obtain a sharpshooter attribute.

My sword would rely on my regular skills while my gun would utilize my inner strength. 

As soon as class was over I decided to put my plan into action immediately.

I would travel to the place where the Fruit of Eden should be, then head off to seek out the Keitoshi style the next day. 

I would have June stay with me during the trip under the pretense of a vacation- thus allowing me to get closer to her as well.

“Yo let’s go!”, a student from another class called out to his friends.

Some of the other students had already invited others to karaoke to build kinship- but I wasn’t interested.

I’m not keen on making any connections right now.

With my knowledge of this world, I needed to take the time to utilize it to its fullest.

I had no time for friendship right now.

“Hehe. Once I become powerful those guys will just be extras to me.”, I muttered to myself.

“Slack off now punks! See you later when I’ve become twice as strong as all of you!”, I offhandedly declared to my lonesome.

Thus began my journey to becoming a powerful ranker.

***

As a mother and her young daughter walked home- a young man in uniform announced something to the empty environment around him.

“Slack off now punks! See you later when I’ve become twice as strong as all of you!”.

“Mommy who is that?!”, the startled young girl asked her mother.

“Look away now honey-”, the mother began as she nudged her daughter forward.

“Don’t pay attention to the weirdo…”

4