Chapter 11- Weight of The Sword(3)
40 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It’s been over a month since I arrived here.

I have been training every day for the past 39 days for about 8-10 hours a day.

My abilities and body have seen massive improvements as well.

I gained a few scars and my body was almost always sweaty.

Along with that my swordsmanship is now at the level that can probably beat the third years of my school.

The exercises I once struggled with were easy as everyday chores. I could now carry the weight of my entire body with only one hand.

While all this was taking place, Grandmaster assured me that I could return in what would seem like merely two days to the people outside of the forest.

These few acres of land that he inhabits aren’t apparently a part of the forest anyways, so I would be able to manipulate the environment into letting me leave almost as soon as I ventured in.

“Perfect form. You may turn out to be one of my best students.”

Shallow words.

In reality, he’s just saying that to make me happy but then he would completely break my spirit the next time he shows off his skills.

“...”

Today, he was staying silent for some reason.

“Hmm. It might be time for you…”

“Eh? Time for what?”

“Time for you to learn the first stance.”

“First stance? As in the first move of your style?”

“That’s right boy.”

He strode closer to me and held out my sword.

“It’s time to understand the first form.”

***

After deciding to teach me his first move, Grandmaster made clear what exactly the first stance was:

“Sharp Thrust. The first stance. The easiest stance, but also effective.”

I was told to put myself in the mist sword stance, which is the basis of the first move.

“Direct your energy, not into the entire blade- but just the end of your sword.”

I focused my power on where I was instructed and readied myself.

“Now simply… thrust.”

I closed my eyes and followed his words and-

Nothing had happened.

“Ah. I must have done it incorrectly. Let me try again-”

Krick!

I heard a faint cracking and took a glimpse at the tree to witness the effort of my labor.

The tree began to crack all over, the lines of the crack expanding to the entire tree.

“Do you see that my boy? That is the power of the first stance!”

In short, the move was a quick stab that would instantly hit its opponent. 

The result, depending on how much force, was being stunned or paralyzed. 

In this case, the force inputted to the weapon was powerful enough to break the entire tree.

“This move can immediately immobilize opponents at a speed that many would not notice. Quite useful for de-escalating situations- and quite deadly for quick hits…”

“I’ll pretend you didn’t say that. Anyways, exactly how many moves are there? And how much more training should I have before I leave?”

“Well that all depends on you, but if you wish to leave you can-”

“Seriously?”

“For a price!”

Eh, this old geezer.

“Duel me. If you can land one hit on me- I shall let you leave and learn the movements independently.”

Learn the movements independently? That may be a useful pastime instead of being here.

Besides- a chance to leave? It’s been over two months since I left June behind and have seen Tokyo.

I need proper delicious health-threatening meals to satisfy my stomach which has only been consuming canned foods. Damn that old man and his laziness!

If he can leave the forest anytime he wants and come back any time he wants then he can surely bring back good food!

“Alright geezer, I’ll take you up on that!”

“The moment you called me geezer was the moment you signed your death warrant.”

We put ourselves at opposite ends of the training field directly across from each other.

Ready to come at each other with winning intent, the both of us held our swords perfectly and darted away.

Our swords clashed at unprecedented speeds, each sound emanating from the duel becoming faster.

We were at a standstill as if our skills were evenly matched-

However, I wasn’t dumb enough to think I had surpassed my teacher in less than a month.

Accurately predicting Grandmaster would begin fighting better, I focused on defense.

As my prediction came true, he lept into the sky, blocking the sun, then coming down at breakneck speed- only to find our swords once again at a stalemate.

“As expected of a student of mine!”

He then quickly withdrew and took a minute to give me a warning.

“From this point on, I will be using the best of my skills.”

“As I said before- land one good blow on me and I’ll let you go.”

“Come at me!”, I beckoned with a gnarly smile.

He stole the moment with a smirk and once again dashed toward me with a renewed resolve to defeat me.

As our swords conflicted, both sides could sense that the condition of our weapons was becoming weaker with each clash and clang.

“Do you think the training you’ve received in one month amounts to the thirty-six years I’ve been a swordmaster?”

“No! But if I know anything-”, I interjected.

I instantly repositioned myself to behind him on his left and took a stance-

“You’re still old!”

“Sharp Thrust!”

I jabbed his hip bone before he could react and in turn-

“Argh! My hip!”

“You bloody brat! Gah, my hip!”

He buckled in pain and used his sword to keep himself up.

“Y-you! That- that was just dirty!”

“Hey! You’re saying you wouldn’t take advantage of your opponent’s weakness?”

“Besides I did what you said- I de-escalated the situation!”

“De-escalate from what?”

“The eventual possibility of my loss.”

“You sly punk!”

“Ah, cry geezer! Get with the times!”

“You’re the crappiest student I’ve ever had!”

“Suck it, mossback!”

***

“You’re leavin’ me behind just like that, eh?”

“You said I could.”

“You could at least show a little remorse for your master right?”

“You’re right. I’ll miss your antics geezer.”

“And I’ll miss messing with you during your morning dazes.”

“I knew it was you who put salt in my tea!”

“No shit!”

Amusingly, the two of us simultaneously breathed out a bothered sigh. Then we chuckled in harmony.

It was a fact that we held grudges against each other, but it was also a fact that we were the only contact we had with other humans in over a month. 

Naturally, we became accustomed to each other despite our differences. So although we disliked each other, saying goodbye was a lot harder than we thought.

Because of that- with an unspoken agreement- we individually decided to see each other off with 

terrible memories rather than melancholic thoughts.

However, our strategy failed.

“You know I hate you, right geezer?”

“Likewise! Can’t say a more reciprocal thought!”

“...”

A silence broke our rousing conversation before we mutually decided to go to hell with it.

“But I’ll miss ya kid! If I hafta be brutally honest, of course!"

“Seriously? Have you misunderstood our relationship?”

“C’mon ya brat.”

“Alright, yeah yeah. I’ll… miss you too, old man.”

“Never had a grandpa to meet, so I guess I could say you were the closest thing, ya know?”

“...”

The old man went silent once again, taken aback by his disciple’s surprising epiphany.

"Ah, one more thing.”, Master said as he pulled out an item wrapped in cloth.


“Here. A parting gift. Nothing too special.”


What was wrapped under the soft cloth was-


“A skill?”


It was a skillbook. My very first one.


========

<Point Shift>

Where did he go? Where am I? Wasn’t I just there? Aren’t I where he was? 


Switch places with any fighter below you or at most one rank above you.

========


“Neat, eh?”


“Useful, yeah.”, I replied, putting the skill into a bag of the few things I had.

“Well, I’ll see ya gramps!”, I remarked one final time.

“Come around again, alright? Bring that sister you say you’re always doting on too! I’ll greet ya with my iconic gyoza and ramen those fanmade restaurants always rip off!”

“I’ll take you up on that offer!”

With goodbyes said and gone, I parted from my master.

Although we went through bad times, we always found solace in each other’s company which was accompanied by loneliness in this place.

I offer my thanks, master. For aiding me in my goal.

With that, I continued onward on the path illustrated for me.

I, nor my sister could wait any longer.

And neither will the destiny that will eventually come to this world.

4