Chapter 14: Project: Stormbringer & The Arcane Scrolls
1.3k 3 50
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

‘I’ve never seen anything like this..’

Ollivander thought as he looked at Adrien. Frankly, he was beyond stumped at the current situation. He had just given Adrien his 53rd wand to try, hoping to finally find a match for him since it was the last wand with a distinct core he had in his inventory, but the end result remained unchanged.

It was yet another failure.

Ollivander understood why exactly every wand Adrien had tried refused to pledge its allegiance to him – It was because the wand cores had no affinity with him; they simply shared no similarities.

However, what he couldn’t quite fathom was how none of the wand cores possessed the slightest thing in common with the young French wizard…not even curupira hair, one of the most selective and unusual wand cores. 

Every wand core he had tried had all produced strong rejections and simply wanted nothing to do with the boy. How was that possible? How unique could his personality and temperament possibly be for it to share nothing in common with any of his wand cores? 

It was seriously perplexing. Though, this was not what made the situation so peculiar.

What did was that because every wand produced a strong rejection, Ollivander couldn’t even try to predict what sort of core would suit the boy. He had no leads and currently, it seemed like there would be no wand core that would find Adrien attractive.

In all his years of wandmaking, Ollivander had never seen anything remotely like this. Not even from the manuscripts and records of his ancestors' experiences and knowledge in wandcraft, which was stupefying…to say the least.

Though, Ollivander was not dismayed by this…far from it. Actually, he was unequivocally excited. 

Yes, excited...which was arguably, somewhat surprising. Why was this so? Well, it’s simply because Ollivander had finally found another challenge. A challenge that not even his ancestors had faced before.

Garrick Ollivander had always been an ambitious man and had always sought to push the boundaries of the mystical art that was wandcraft. This was evident by his most famous theory – The Theory of Supreme Cores.

He had extensively researched and propounded this theory during his younger days and gained world-wide fame because of it. How could he not, when his theory revolutionized modern wandcraft completely and ushered in a new era of wandmaking.

His theory had revolutionized the way wands were crafted by enabling wandmakers to make wands using cores of immensely powerful magical substances and then expertly enclosing them in specially selected and complementary wand woods, with the result being that the wand would be matched to an owner that the wand itself felt an affinity for. And, this was unheard of in the mid 20th century.

Since then, he hadn’t done much and simply managed the family business, becoming its sole proprietor. It was only recently that he had started yet another research project – an investigation into a mythical wand rumored to have been created by death himself…

Currently, he was at a roadblock with the project and now, Adrien’s dilemma had presented him with yet another possible research project – one which he planned to fully explore.

Ollivander was also sure that with these two projects, he could maybe finally win an Order of Merlin award – an award he had longed to win for his contributions to the field of wandcraft. 

With it, Ollivander knew that his business would expand to new heights and that he could regain some of the political influence his family had lost due to his birth – his father had married a muggle born witch which made him a half-blood and thus, partially reduced their influence in Magical Britain, which was for the most part, conservative as of now.

In fact, they would have lost their status as one of the Sacred Twenty-Eight and would have been directly removed from the Pure-Blood Directory if not for the essential services the family provided.

They were pretty much the only wandmakers in Magical Britain. All of the other wandmakers had been driven out of business due to the monopoly the Ollivander family gained with Garrick’s Supreme Core Theory and subsequent improved wand quality.

Though, Ollivander didn’t have any grand ambitions of wanting to take over the country, unlike a certain blue eyed boy. No, he simply wanted to strengthen his family, give his children more opportunities, and ensure that the long-standing legacy of his ancestors remained standing firm, unthreatened by the political undercurrents of Magical Britain.

Thinking about this, Ollivander smiled and was about to start thinking of possible solutions to Adrien’s predicament, when the boy in question spoke abruptly,

“Sir, Is it possible for you to make a wand for me? I can cover any cost.”

Ollivander focused his sights on the boy, slightly taken aback at the question; he was not expecting it.

“Yes, It’s possible Mr. Flamel. Though, I would require a suitable wand core to craft one…Preferably one you have a high affinity with.”

Ollivander replied with a smile.

Adrien smirked hearing those words. He did, in fact, have such a wand core. Like Ollivander, Adrien had started to think over possible solutions once he started to see that no wand wanted to be around him.

As a bonafide Potterhead in his previous life, Adrien was pretty well-versed in the lore of the entire Harry Potter series, including wand lore. As such, he deduced that the reason he couldn’t get a wand was because of his affinity.

Thus, he had thought extensively of any magical item he may have a high affinity with. The first thought that came to his head was the philosopher’s stone, but that was currently unattainable so he had discarded the thought. He had other plans for it anyway.

The second item that came to mind was Aella’s feathers. Aella was a Thunderbird and as such, her feathers were suitable to be used as a possible wand core. Adrien thought that it was plausible to use her feathers because he shared a bond with her due to being her parent.

He felt that if he had an affinity with any magical item, surely it would be her feathers.

Thus, he responded to Ollivander, “I think I have a wand core that fits your criteria.”

“I see Mr. Flamel. May I have a look?” Ollivander raised his eyebrows and asked curiously.

“Right. Just a moment.” Adrien said with a faint smile.

He walked over to the desk at the front of the shop – under the eyes of Aurelius and Ollivander – and took out Aella from his suitcase. She was in a bird cage and seemed to be taking a nap. 

Though, immediately she was taken out, she opened her eyes and scanned the room cautiously, only calming down once her eyes came across Adrien.

Aella had grown tremendously over the past 2 years and was now the size of a harpy eagle, which meant that she barely fit inside her cage. Additionally, her intelligence was now sufficient enough to communicate with Adrien properly.

When the Flamels died, all she could do was understand basic instructions as well as communicate her basic needs to Adrien. Adrien had particularly taken out the time to talk to her and teach her a few things, mostly about the wizarding world.

Adrien opened the cage and Aella immediately flew out and perched on his outstretched left arm. 

*Hey Aella, I have a favor to ask…if you don’t mind.* Adrien said softly as he gently stroked Aella's feathers.

*What is it Papa? Tell me.* Aella immediately replied with enthusiasm.

Adrien chuckled seeing that, “Can I have one of your feathers? It’s for a wand you see.” he said, still stroking her feathers.

“Of Course. Do you even have to ask?” Aella replied coolly, looking Adrien in the eyes.

Adrien smiled, “Yes, I do. It’s your feather after all…” he said as he reached for Aella’s tail, intending to pluck one of her white-gold feathers.

Aella didn’t resist and tilted her tail slightly, allowing Adrien to pluck a feather with ease.

“Thanks.” Adrien tenderly thanked her after plucking a feather. Then, he turned to Ollivander, approached him and presented it.

Ollivander froze momentarily once he scrutinized the feather in detail. He could feel the immense magical energy fluctuations the feather was causing – It was the most powerful magic item he had ever come across.

‘This day seems to be full of surprises. It’s actually a Thunderbird feather, though it's quite unique. The amount of magic it has is not what a normal Thunderbird possesses. I can research it and figure out why it's so unique….Hopefully, I find something significant enough ’

Ollivander mused as he cast ‘Accio’ on his desk quill and transfigured it into a small black box. Afterwards, he took the feather from Adrien and gently placed it into it.

‘Although I’ve never worked with Thunderbird feathers before, It should be doable. I’ll probably have to contact my old friend, Shikoba Wolfe. Thunderbird tail feather wands are her specialty. We can work on it together…How exciting…’

Ollivander thought for a moment, before speaking to Adrien, “This will suffice Mr. Flamel. I will gladly make a wand for you..you don’t even have to worry about the cost. This will probably be my greatest creation.” he said, with a serious face.

For Ollivander, money was not really important. He had enough of it anyways. What really mattered to him was the opportunity…the opportunity to further his craft. He was immensely grateful to Adrien for presenting him with the opportunity. 

Adrien, on the other hand, was slightly surprised hearing Ollivander’s statement. He was not expecting him to make his wand free of charge. 

Nonetheless, he didn’t protest against the decision and simply asked, “Thanks, will it be owled?”

“Yes it will, Mr. Flamel. I’ll most likely have it ready in a month, though, it may take slightly longer than that considering the peculiarity of the feather.” Ollivander replied.

Adrien smiled hearing those words. He couldn’t wait to see the final product. He mused that it would be special…something magical…

***

Hours Later, Adrien and Aurelius left Diagon Alley after nearly exploring it in its entirety. After paying Ollivander and leaving his shop, they visited multiple toy and book stores, Florean Fortescue’s ice cream parlor, and a junk shop.

Overall, the Diagon Alley trip was quite fun and eventful.

Currently, it was midnight, and Adrien was sitting by his desk in the study of his briefcase. On the desk, there was a lantern and multiple pieces of parchment – with all sorts of scribbles and numbers – sprawled over it. 

‘Now, Let’s see what secrets you hold…’ Adrien thought with a ravenous glint in his eyes as he placed the diary he found in the Flamel vault on the desk. He was incomparably hungry…hungry for knowledge…hungry for power…

Thus, without hesitation, he opened the dairy and began to extract its contents. He read for about 4 hours before closing the book and looking at the ceiling of the study with an incredulous expression on his face.

Frankly, he couldn’t believe what he had just read. It was way too shocking. 

Apparently, the diary was a manuscript and journal written by his father on a collection of mystical objects he had come across during his journey as an Alchemist in the 14th century. 

These mystical objects were known as ‘The Arcane Scrolls’ and from what he had read about them, they were magical scrolls that contained ancient, forgotten knowledge on magic…very powerful magic.

According to the book, these Arcane Scrolls were created by an ancient, and hidden society of sorcerers and scholars called ‘The Arcanists’. The scrolls contained detailed records of their discoveries and theories and about what was described as ‘ancient magic’, an archaic way of wielding magic and drawing out its true power.

The diary also contained a record of runes that Adrien had never seen before. In the diary, Nicolas speculated that the runic language was older than even the Elder Futhark. Nicolas was able to partially learn this language and could decode it to some degree.

There were 5 Arcane Scrolls, and in the diary, Nicolas described them in great detail, based on his findings.

Specifically, they were: 

ᛌᚮᚢᛚ ᛌᛍᚮᚱᛚᛚ  ~ The Soul Scroll.

ᛒᛂᛆᛌᛐ ᛌᛍᚱᚮᛚᛚ  ~ The Beast Scroll.

ᛌᛍᚱᚮᛚᛚ ᚮᚠ ᛂᛘᚮᛐᛁᚮᚿᛌ  ~ The Scroll of Emotions.

ᚱᚢᚿᛁᛍ ᛌᛍᚱᚮᛚᛚ ᚮᚠ ᛆᛚᛍᚼᛂᛘᛦ  ~ The Runic Scroll of Alchemy

ᛐᛁᛘᛂ ᛌᛍᚱᚮᛚᛚ ~ The Time Scroll.

Nicolas also mentioned that the locations of 4 of these scrolls were unknown. The only one he was able to come across was the Runic Scroll of Alchemy, and this caused Adrien to have so many questions, the most important one being,

Did the Runic Scroll of Alchemy help him create the Philosopher’s stone?

Honestly, Adrien felt that it was somewhat likely due to the sheer power of the stone. It was quite literally a ticket to Immortality and the process by which it was created was never described in the actual series. So, how on earth was Nicolas able to create it?

Additionally, the rest of the scrolls also raised a million questions in Adrien’s head, especially The Beast Scroll, The Scroll of Emotions, and The Time Scroll.

Was the Beast Scroll related to Aella’s eggshell runes? If so, how?

Was The Scroll of Emotions somehow related to Lily Potter’s use of ‘love’ to protect Harry? The magic she actually used was never explained in the series, so is it possible that she was somehow able to utilize an ancient form of magic to protect her son? 

Was The Time Scroll related to the Time-Turners? Was it possible that the British ministry for magic were able to get their hands on the scroll and use the knowledge contained in it to manufacture them? Could it be possible that the scroll was actually in the Time Room of the Department of Mysteries?

Adrien asked himself these questions and lost track of time. After a while he stopped and looked at the diary,

‘This changes a lot of things…’

50