Prologue : Nightmares
44 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Roughly 14 years ago, a mysterious woman of unknown origin, in all senses of the word, manifested. It was also within that period the moment she met her--, what would you call it, Fate?

 

Coming to her senses, she found herself in a place devoided of everything. What is this place? she thought. In all sincerity, this "place" could only be described as the abyss. The size of this place could either be small or big, the point is, there's no way to know. A space denied of light and sound. She thought if she just waited long enough her eyes should adapt to the dark. It is, after all, a simple known fact. Only no matter how long she waited, it never happened. Seconds, minutes, hours? The time she spent in there felt extremely long, but in truth, she hasn't been there for more than a few minutes. 

Fear is the natural reaction to this situation, but most of her time was spent in confusion. Where, when, and what. Questions, after questions, after questions. For better or for worse, you could say she's doing pretty well, being stuck in a place like this and all. But the reality could only be ignored for so long, and soon enough she would have to face it. The gravity of the situation started to sink in. Panic, phobia and anxiety all came at a sudden burst. The idea of someone or something watching from the darkness of the abyss got to her. She looked in every direction, but there was only darkness. And inevitably so, the absence of sound put pressure on her mind. Like a heavy mound of sand crushing the entirety of her head, pouring and flooding every hole it could find. She also felt... alone. As a person who could formerly hear and see, being robbed of their senses is nothing if not a big shock. Every hair on her trembling arms and legs went up as if reacting to her fear. Her sweat was so cold she could feel every bead each of them formed. She yelled. She screamed. She begged. She was never a religious person, although she does believe some sort of a higher being made the "world" as we call it. In any case, she implored, for whatever it's worth, that "that something" ends whatever it is that's happening to her. A brutal torture made for the most horrible of people in hell. The mental trauma quickly weighed on her mind. This can't be hell, can it? was her last thought before eventually passing out. It was so terrible a nightmare she couldn't even remember any actual thought she had in the few moments that she was conscious. 

In time, she once again regained her consciousness. With a sigh of relief, she became aware. Although all she could see was just the darkness, she was hopeful that the nightmare was finally over. Unfortunately, with nothing to counter her current circumstances, she found herself in the same flow of events again, repeating the unearthly torture she once had. And as if the second one hasn't given her enough grief, she would soon realize that those were just the beginning. The cycle occurred over and over again, and each time she would scream her head off like she hasn't done it repeatedly, cursing and renouncing life, but contrary to her words, she hung on to dear life. How long has it been? she thought. Even though she hasn't broken through the cycle yet, she's beginning to adapt to the situation at hand. The duration for which she can stay conscious has grown exponentially. She has endured the pain and suffering of this hell, and she came out tattered and on the brink of insanity, but despite all that, she's never felt so alive, so rejuvenated. Give it all you've got, she would say, because what doesn't kill me, only makes me stronger. Who is she saying those words to, she doesn't know, but she felt like she had to say them for her to survive this madness. She needed a goal, something to strive for, something to direct her anger and hatred at. After all, why has she been fighting to survive if she doesn't?

For a long time, she endured the torture, the pain that came with it and the sadness brought back by memories of her past, memories that felt like ages ago. From time to time, she would cry, reminiscing the joyful moments of her youth. Family, friends, and past lovers. So is this my fate? she asked rhetorically. She's never going to have all that, again, if she can't break out of this cycle. Of course, she's already made up her mind to do just that, but her thoughts would sometimes derail her resolve, putting her in despair. To get all these back, she's going to have to let go of them. A contrasting idea she's very much against. She's always been a straightforward person, she knew this much thinking isn't going to do her much good. So she clung to that trait and did what she does best. Get them back by letting go, she muttered, what a stupid idea. She hung on to her thoughts. The good and the bad. The sorrows and joys. Everything. This made her fears subside, even if only a little bit, and it made her mind strong; capable.

After getting through a tough part of her current dilemma, she now can hold on to her conscious for a long time. She's also managed to stop screaming, although the pain is just as present as it was at the beginning. She would grit her teeth through it all while breathing heavily. Occasionally, shivers would run down her body, only it was intensional. She would try to disperse the pressure evenly throughout her body to relieve her mind of some of the pain. Managing all of this at the same time was her long-term goal. For the moment, she wanted to familiarize herself with each one of them and get better at doing them.

Time passed as she faced the nightmares of the abyss, she passed out a couple of times, but only because it was inevitable, although it is a fact she doesn't quite agree with. Her mind could only take so much. She needed rest and respite. Even though she doesn't have much evidence to back it up, she thinks something might happen soon, something good. That's what her guts tell her. Just a little more, she thought. As soon as she relaxed her mind, waves of visions clouded formed a cloud and filled her head.

There were hallucinations. Some of them were faces and not one that she could recognize. Some of them might not even be human. Eyes shining like jewels, all looking in her direction, like they were staring directly at her soul, sending shivers throughout her body. Skin like a  freshly grown leaf, some are as red as blood. Teeth jutting out of their lips, if not, they were crooked, accompanied by fizzling acid-like saliva. And the worst of all, echoes of voices. Cries laugh, and questions, some were even screaming, expressing their emotions and desires. "You're weak, you know?" "I will lend you this fragile soul, for whatever good might come out of it." "Run." Those were just some of them. As haunting as they were, she couldn't help but feel familiarity. In time they dissipated, although they didn't completely vanish. No, it's like they just moved farther in the background, waiting to be noticed. 

After the bizarre turn of events, she rediscovered clarity, peace of mind and a promise.

0