Chapter 19
1.1k 4 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The wolves embarking on the attack gathered outside the caves. Hundreds of the fastest wolves stood in place awaiting orders to leave. 

Arzhen had arrived early. She mentioned to the three little wolves that she needed to go out for a few days, and gathered enough prey for them to eat until she could come back. 

Lida was sharper than the other two little wolves. She vaguely guessed what her child was going to do, and she felt quite worried. Knowing that the lions her child killed would definitely have some status meant the lions had more than enough reason to attack the tribe, so it's only natural where Arzhen was going. She saw that the two young wolves had a hint of worry, but more confusion. She felt the need to educate the children about the dangers of the world. Sighing at their naivete, she spoke gently towards the black wolf. 

"Then you must be careful. Don't be reckless this time". 

Arzhen knew she was scared. However, this trip was worthy of her mother's fear. She didn't know what she was going to face, but she was certain this would be the most dangerous experience she had ever had. It was exactly that reason which made her so excited. Her blood was already starting to boil at the thought of the upcoming battle, and she wished the day would come sooner. 

The chieftain stood in front of the warriors with a solemn look on his face. He spoke with a powerful and resolute voice. 

"This attack must succeed. For the future of our tribe, we must deal a devastating blow to the lions. I hope your attacks are as fast and ruthless as possible. Do not show mercy to them. One more of them dead, is one less for your families to fear". 

The wolves listened to the chieftains words with boundless energy and excitement. Many knew they would probably not make it back, but they had families who needed to be protected. If they couldn't devastate the lions this time, then it would cause a massacre of their own tribe far worse than what the monster caused. Full of adrenaline they howled towards the sky. 

"Go" the chieftain ordered. 

Hundreds of wolves rushed out as fast as lightning. Their speed and strength was unmatched in the tribe, and within a few breaths they had already disappeared into the thick forest. They didn't slow down for anything, but they maintained extreme vigilance. They would never allow any beast passing by to expose them. 

Their footsteps were light, not a sound was made. 

The lions at the border to the Plains basked in the sun lazily. They would never even guess that death had reached out its hand for them, not until wolves sprang from the forests in droves, attacking them before they could even react. 

The wolves ripped through the throats of the unsuspecting border guards. The shock still planted on the dead lions faces. However the wolves didn't stop, they ran faster towards their destination. Any poor animal they happened upon was killed mercilessly, and just like that they pushed towards the hidden path, where they quickly transformed and continued to move forward. 

The hidden path was a small gorge. It seemed to be part of an ancient river system that had long since dried up. The wolves continued to move along the walls of the gorge. They could hear the sounds of the herbivorous tribes above them in the distance. They had run for two days, as fast as possible and they were growing tired, but they knew they could rest when they bypassed these tribes. 

Arzhen scouted ahead. She could see the distrust of the wolves, but they had to put it aside, knowing that her abilities were stronger. She led them safely through the land of the vassal tribes, until she reached the exit to the gorge. She wouldn't get too close, they were tired and hungry, and no match for the lions that were full of energy. Seeing the sun above them, they were lucky the gorge covered them in a shadow. She went up to look at the layout of the lions. Their were large flat stones strewn across the area in front of her. She guessed the lions didn't shelter in caves but slept atop the stones. Looking towards the centre of the stones, their were many lions around. They looked much stronger than the ones she had seen. She guessed they were the King's personal guards. She hastily returned towards the gorge. She didn't want to alert them with her carelessness. 

The wolves had been waiting for her to come back and report on the situation, watching her sneak back, they were ready to hear what she had seen. 

Arzhen looked towards them and spoke in a low voice,

"The lions are centralised in a field of flat stones. The king is directly in the centre surrounded by much stronger lions. There looks to be about ten protecting him. The guards on the periphery aren't as lax as those on the border, so killing them quickly is essential". 

Hearing that the king had personal guards. The strongest of the warrior wolves looked at Arzhen and said. 

"I and a few more will follow you directly. We'll attack the personal guards so you can focus on the king himself". 

Arzhen agreed, and they quickly ate the dried food they had brought with them. It was paramount they had a full stomach, and a rest. They kept a few wolves on guard. Those wolves would be changed hourly so that everyone could sleep for as long as possible. They knew that after the attack they would have to retreat towards the border without stopping. 

The lions would never have guessed that hundreds of wolves slept right outside their home. Their day went as normal as any other. The lions that had found the corpses of the border guards were silenced by the wolves waiting near the border, nothing could stop the attack that was about to come. 

Arzhen and the wolves awoke to the darkness. Their eyes were glowing. As they changed back to their wolf forms, they slowly ascended from the gorge. 

Night had fallen, and the time to attack had finally come. 

42