Chapter 23
974 4 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On the other side of a small river that acted as a natural border, laughter echoed through the forest.

"That stubborn old thing is really dead?", a booming voice asked excitedly.

"Yes, my king. The scouts reported the news that was spread from the Plains" the advisor said indifferently.

The laughter of the bear king still resounded after the advisors words.

"I didn't think the wolves still had the fight left in them to pull off such a move" the bear king sighed after he had finished his gloating.

"If they hadn't hid the existence of such a warrior, then perhaps the lion king would not have been so unguarded" the advisor uttered.

"If they hadn't hid the warriors existence, then they would never have been allowed to grow up" the bear king stated.

The bear King's words were not alarmist. If the lion or bear tribes knew that there was a warrior that could easily be on par with their strength, they would have never allowed it to live.

Their tribes all have enmity with the wolves. Although the bear king was gloating at the demise of his old "friend", but this news was definitely a worry for him. If the plan that he and the lion king had continued, they would have weakened the wolves strength further and further, until the two kings were certain that they could take the wolves. If they knew the wolves had such a courageous side, they should have just attacked the wolves together, instead of thinking that they would betray each other after dealing with the wolves.

Unfortunately there are no ifs. The bear king could only ask.

"How many casualties did the wolves incur?"

"The scout gave an estimate of around two hundred to three hundred" the advisor replied.

The bear king frowned at the response. A couple hundred is a devastating blow for them, but wolves have always been more numerous. He was shocked that their losses were so meager. His idea of attacking them was temporarily stopped. He knew the wolves would need time to recuperate, but the river that cut the forest in two was too violent at this time. He couldn't risk losing the valuable members of his tribe, just because the wolves may or may not be in a weakened state.

All he could do was strengthen the patrols, so as not to suffer the same surprise attack as the lions. Don't think he doesn't know how much the chieftain of the wolves hates him. If it wasn't fro the strength of the bears to be higher than the lions, he was certain that it would be the lion king laughing at his death at the moment.

He also told the advisor to send word to the vassal tribes under them to increase their vigilance. Although the river is violent, when winter arrives the river will freeze, and one of the natural deterrents will be solved. At that time the bears will be about to hibernate. The perfect time for the wolves who have strong seasonal capabilities, to attack.

He wouldn't allow his tribe to suffer the same fate as the lions. Don't look at the thousand or so that are still alive. With the rest of those opposing tribes on the Plains, even if they want revenge on the wolves, they'll have to choose a new leader, and deal with foreign attacks. The thousand lions will probably be reduced greatly, if they can stabilise their position. It can only be said that the wolves plan was an extreme success.

The bear king could only sigh. He didn't expect the wolves to be more tenacious than he thought. He couldn't help but feel envious for their strength. The various tribes have been under the dominance of the wolf tribe for centuries. Obedience is almost ingrained into them. It was only the slow decline of their strength and numbers that gave the other tribes hope. He doesn't regret his actions, no one wants to live under the rule of others if they have a choice. If push comes to shove, he will see if the wolves still have the ability to defend their position again and again.

With the various tribes around the wolves territory planning their future course of action, whether to test; or wait; or submit, they all have little to do with Arzhen. 

She as requested, was awakened by the three little wolves. Her body felt like it was going to fall apart. She stifled the painful groan that tried to escape from her throat. She truly hadn't been reduced to such an embarrassing state in many years. She couldn't remember how she used to deal with it, but now she knows she has to show no differences. The wolf tribe can't know that she isn't as invulnerable as they first thought.

With that thought it mind, she begrudgingly began to move her injured and exhausted body out of the den.

The three little wolves looked on with worry, but they knew they couldn't intervene. After Lida told them the reason Arzhen had to pretend to be well, Sedraa felt a little complicated. It was the frightening act that happened months ago which caused the enmity between the two sides. Although she knew it wasn't her fault, she felt helpless that she was stuck between the two. She hoped that the situation could be resolved peacefully, but in her heart she knew there was little chance of that happening.

Arzhen ran out of the valley just as she normally would. She noticed that the scouts were paying more attention to her than normal. She verified her conjecture. The chieftain must have been suspicious. She kept her face emotionless, carrying on with her task as if completely unaffected.

When hunting she put every last bit of strength into maintaining her natural and casual appearance. However the tearing pain never ceased. She was just glad that there was no blood seeping from her wounds, otherwise all of the deceit would be for nought. Picking up the last bit of prey, she carried it all back to the valley swaggering along the way. It doesn't matter if the chieftain didn't believe her act, she just needed to plant a seed of doubt in his heart. 

36