18th Adversary: Brewing Storm
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Miko woke up inside the game capsule, after being killed in his fight with Ace. This was his second death since joining the game, and it was by the same person. However, the situation leading to it was different this time.

“I died again, but I’m certain that I took Ace with me.”

It was a tie, but did that satisfy Miko?

“If it was real life, I would’ve meaninglessly wasted my life just to take down an enemy.”

The answer was no.

Miko could only do what he did because it was a game. If he was in a similar situation in real life, there was no coming back. So it wouldn’t matter if he killed his opponent because he wouldn’t be able to celebrate his victory. This was an unacceptable result by every definition.

“I still can grow further, I can still improve.”

He mumbled to himself with an intense glint in his eyes.

At that same time in Hina’s apartment. In the room on the far right of the top floor, a golden game pod opened its door. Ace stepped out of it. He had a dazed look on his face.

“So, how did it go?”

He turned to see Hina laying on his bed reading his game magazine. She smiled and looked at him.

“From your expression, it looks like Miko really surprised you.”

“…..He really was something.”

Hina quickly sat up with a smile wider than before.

“I told you, didn’t I? Miko is really interesting.”

Ace nodded.

“I have to admit this is the first time I’ve been interested in a guy in forever.”

He suddenly found himself smiling.

“My gamer instincts are telling me that I’ve found a strong player; someone who can make this game called Life even more exciting.”

“I understand how you feel.”

Hina nodded.

“For me, he’s a wildcard character whose appearance saves a dying series. He makes me excited to see how this story will unfold again.”

Ace clenched his trembling fists. His smile broke out into a grin.

“I want to fight him again.”

Hina recalled her meeting with Miko days earlier.

“I’m sure that you will.”

“Well, they do seem interested in me.”

He started frowning.

“Why didn’t you tell me that Tiamat actually played the game? I thought she just watched over Miko while he hunted me.”

“Does it matter?”

“Of course! She’s a goddess! Gangster Paradise is probably my only chance to fight a Higher Being! I can’t let that opportunity get away!”

“You’re going back into the game?”

“Yeah. Wish me luck!”

Ace opened the capsule and entered it. A shout reached Hina’s ears before he closed it.

“I’m gonna fight a god!”

Meanwhile…

“Huh? You’re not gonna play Gangster’s Paradise anymore?”

Tia shook her head at Momo’s question.

“It was fun at first but now I want to focus on Miko’s development for a bit.”

She smiled.

“It’s way more entertaining.”

In front of her, Miko was currently fighting against two human-sized golems that were created by Momo.

“Ah!”

He slammed a club on the side of a golem and forced it a few meters to the side. He was attacked by the other golem from behind. He dodged by jumping over the attack. He spun around and slammed the club on top of the golem’s head. He leaped back and observed the damage he dealt.

“He successfully formed a mental image of how he wants to fight after his battles in the game. However, games and reality are different. He must work hard if he wants to replicate what he learned.”

Momo nodded. She examined the golems Miko fought. There were cracks on them but they were still standing.

“Looks like blunt weapons aren’t his cup of tea.”

She looked to her side and saw several broken golems. These were golems Miko fought against using different weapons.

“It’s like he said. Swords and guns are the weapons he’s most potent with.”

“But it’s not like he can’t use other weapons.”

Tia walked over to the heap of broken golems.

“He was pretty good with almost every weapon available in the game. So he should be able to use most weapons, but with different levels of mastery.”

She rubbed a slash mark on one of the golem’s head.

“Miko realizes this and will most likely focus on mastering a few weapons while keeping the others as backups to get himself out of a pinch.”

She turned to Momo.

“However, I should warn you. Miko might try to master everything in a hurry if he encounters a setback. It will be your job then to set him straight and don’t allow him to become impatient and rush things.”

Momo nodded.

“I know. Gramps already told me.”

“Then that’s good.”

Tia smiled and turned to Miko who had finally destroyed the golems with the club.

“Hm?”

That’s when something caught her eye. She focused on her spiritual connection with him and dwelled deeper inside him to take a look.

“ROAR!”

“?!”

She reflexively stepped back, causing her to almost trip over the golems. Momo saw this.

“Is something wrong?”

“….No, it’s nothing.”

“Is that so?”

Momo turned her attention back to Miko after Tia smiled at her. When Momo did that, the smile dropped from Tia’s face.

“I was forced out of his soul? By what exactly?”

She mumbled to herself. What she encountered was extremely frightening. She couldn’t see it clearly, but it looked like a dark entity wrapped with rusty chains.

“Just what is his Irregularity? I’ve never seen an Irregular like this before.”

She started to wonder if making Miko stronger would eventually lead to a catastrophic disaster. Yet, she couldn’t stop herself from smiling.

“This might be more worthwhile than I thought.”

Miko walked toward the two of them.

“So when are we going to Gael?”

“You defeated Ace and the Black Spades, so we’ll go tomorrow. However, you need to promise me that you’ll prioritize your life. You can’t repeat what you did in the game.”

“I won’t.”

Momo nodded.

“Then, tomorrow we’ll drop you off in Gael. You’ll decide how you’ll take on the Black Spades from there. We’ll be watching you of course.”

“So I’ll have to treat this like a war.”

He shook his head.

“This will be a war, one between me and them.”

Noir, Gael. This was one of the cities known for its violence even in Gael. Some of the strongest gangs could be found in this city. It was a den of ruthless criminals.

“Ahhh?!”

A scream reverberated in an abandoned building. Inside it, a group of men was hung in the air with chains wrapped around their arms. Their bodies were covered in cuts and bruises. Blood stained their skin. In front of them was a man sitting on a bucket. He looked at them with indifference.

“I’ll ask again…Where does your boss hide his merchandise?”

“I…I don’t know!”

The man sighed and stood up.

“Boss, your brother is asking for an audience.”

The man turned to his subordinate.

“Take over. I’m gonna see what he wants.”

“Any preference regarding the methods?”

“Just start skinning them. If you skin two and the others haven’t talked, just kill them all.”

“Roger.”

The man walked away ignoring the screams behind him. He exited the building and was greeted by a thuggish man wearing an arm brace. A sharp glint appeared in his eyes.

“Who fucked you up?”

His brother lowered his gaze to the ground.

“…It’s a fucker named Ace…He’s the leader of the Black Spades.”

He spoke as if grumbling.

“Ace…Black Spades…”

The man’s eyes slowly widened.

“Isn’t he one of Nebulous’ favorite?”

“N-Nebulous?! Is that true, Brother?!”

The man nodded.

“I’m certain.”

“No way….I wanted to kill that fucker but if he’s linked with the Crime God…”

“Don’t lose hope yet, Frankie. He may be linked to Nebulous but I heard he and his siblings are treated like slaves. I think I might be able to get permission to attack him. Especially since he runs a gang.”

“Wait…Are you going to…?”

The man nodded.

“I’m going to request a Faida.”

Meanwhile, Ace—

“Oh, yeah. It looks like Miko’s gang left the game. I searched for their players' names after you left and I couldn’t find them.”

He was looking at Hina dumbfoundedly.

“Why…Why didn’t you tell me that 7 hours ago when I took a bathroom break?!”

Hina took out her phone.

“Because I wanted to see that face.”

She snapped a picture of him.

“Sora is gonna love this.”

What followed next was a chaotic battle that could be clearly heard outside their building.

0