Curse of Blades: Chapter 11
40 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Wildas knew he wasn't offering Coulta much better than what he'd had in Arren, but at least there wouldn't be any killing involved. Not of innocents – though Wildas hoped there would be no killing at all.

"Once Myri lets me off bed rest I'll be back to my normal life," he explained to break what felt to him like awkward silence. "That means I'll be fairly busy until the midday meal. I usually have breakfast with my family, then attend my father's meetings with his advisers. Unless it's one of the few days where I sit with my father when he hears petitions, I will be free to do whatever I wish in the afternoons. That's when I'll need you. I like to leave the castle and go for rides outside the city or visit the city on market days. If the weather is bad, I spend time with my siblings or visit the library. I do spend some afternoons with Shelton. I also spar with Rohan or my mother in the training arenas. No other soldiers or officers will practice with me. I may need you in the evenings, but not always. We'll find something for you to do when you're not with me. What do you like to do? Or, what would you like to do?"

Coulta shrugged and watched the closest fire thoughtfully. "I would like to practice my combat skills. And my magic. There is a lot I've never tried to do with it and I want to know my limits." He paused before adding, "And Varin was determined to keep me rather uneducated. I know very little about the real traditions of Phelin, and I feel that I should know more if I'm to serve you. So I'd like to learn more. About tradition and politics if I can."

Of course Coulta would want to understand his surroundings in his new home. And he would need to know where threats may come from if he was to protect Wildas. "Do you have any specific questions?"

Coulta hesitated a moment before asking, "Are there two kings? Is there no queen?"

Wildas couldn't stop himself from laughing, but when he saw the way Coulta ducked his head as if he felt ashamed, the amusement disappeared. "That was rude of me, I'm sorry," he said, trying to mend the situation. "There are two kings and two queens. All four are married to each other. It's probably strange to someone from a place where all relationships are forbidden, I'm sure. My parents are Grand King Deandre, Second King Shelton, and Queen Yvona. My other mother, Queen Xiao, died three winters ago. The Second King is usually chosen as someone who can be the Grand King's most trusted adviser. He is usually a military leader or sorcerer – Shelton is the most powerful sorcerer alive in the world. There is always a sorcerer in the court, so he's often chosen as the Second King for convenience. Some queens are also sorceresses or military leaders. Queen Yvona was an officer in the Royal Guard before she was married. The whole structure is supposed to be strategic, but sometimes there is love involved. I'm fairly certain all of my parents care very much for each other, anyway."

"They're all your parents?" Coulta asked, looking a little skeptical as he gazed at Wildas. For the first time, Wildas truly looked at the other man's eyes and was surprised to realize that the odd coloration hadn't been a trick of dim lighting or Wildas's pain-filled hallucinations as he'd assumed. His eyes truly were a deep gray, almost black, and flecked with shining silver throughout.

He forced himself to tear his gaze away from those fascinating eyes and explained, "Well, one of the queens obviously gave birth to me, but I've never truly wondered which one. I have always known them both as 'Mother'. It's different with the kings, because the Second King can't have children, as dictated by tradition. Otherwise, there would be too much possible conflict for the throne. I was told he has to take some sort of herbal tea that causes temporary infertility. I have only ever called the Grand King 'Father' and it's the same with my closest siblings. The younger siblings have known both him and Shelton as 'Father'."

"How many siblings do you have?"

"Three younger brothers and six younger sisters. And no one older. Rohan is the closest in age. We're only a month apart. We're both twenty-four." Wildas was suddenly struck by something he'd never really wondered. "How old are you?"

Coulta shrugged. "Twenty-two, I think. I don't have a birthday that I know. Teeya knew I was five years old when I arrived in Arren and we used that day each year."

This filled Wildas with a sadness he hadn't expected. "If you tell me when that is, I can make sure we celebrate it."

Coulta shook his head, sadness on his face as he quietly admitted, "It wouldn't be the same, without her. But thank you."

Wildas nodded and wished he could offer the other man some comfort. "If you ever change your mind, just tell me."

Coulta nodded and looked away. "I will." Then he cleared his throat and asked, "Do all of your siblings have positions they will inherit, like Rohan?"

"My twenty-year-old brother, Jarlin, is being trained by our Uncle Pavle to become Prince-General of the navy. My sister, Sari – she's twenty-two – is training under our Uncle Ruairi to become Princess-General of the army. And my oldest sister, Lana – a few months older than Sari – is going to take over the treasury from our Aunt Thea. The rest of my siblings don't have any specific positions, but they have their high social station for life."

"Do they all have to follow the marriage tradition?" Coulta asked.

Wildas shook his head. "They don't need to. It's usually only the oldest few who feel obligated to follow the tradition. Well, not the Prince-General of the Royal Guard. He has more demands for his time than any of the others and rarely gets married at all. That's the main reason why the position is held by the Grand King's brother or second eldest child. There have been Princess-Generals of the Guard, as well."

"How is the Royal Guard different from the rest of the army?"

"Its first concern is to protect members of the royal family, instead of the country as a whole. They are always in Ryal as permanent defenders, though small units travel outside the city with members of the royal family. The full Guard is made up of five hundred men and women."

That seemed to surprise Coulta, whose eyes widened. "Female soldiers?"

Wildas smiled. "Didn't I say Queen Yvona was an officer? We don't have nearly as many women in the Guard as men, but as long as they meet the requirement of serving five years in the regular army, they can try to join. There is a test every year to find new members for the Guard, and it's incredibly rigorous. There's sword fighting and archery from horseback, sword fighting and archery on the ground, weapons-free combat, and endurance tests. A point system is used, and only those who score highest are accepted." He leaned back against his pillows and sighed. "More of them will be making it this summer. We rarely need to replace more than five Guardsmen. This year will be at least twelve."

Coulta didn't say anything for a moment, then asked, "Why were you in Arren? Isn't it dangerous to send the heir as an envoy?"

Wildas shrugged. "I suppose, but it's my duty. The heir apparent always gets sent out to act as an envoy so he becomes known to both enemies and allies before he becomes the Grand King."

"So it is a political, as well as a social, position?"

The prince nodded. "Precisely. And, if something were to happen to me, Rohan would be next in line. He would be allowed to choose and train another sibling to lead the Guard, then take my place."

Myri's return halted their conversation for a moment. She handed Coulta a cup, then gave another one to Wildas. "It'll help you get more strength back," she explained, clearly not impressed by the way Wildas sniffed the tea and grimaced.

Still skeptical, Wildas sipped the tea and had to force himself to swallow. "I hope so."

"Drink it," she commanded.

"I will!" He took another sip to prove it to her, trying not to make a hideous face as he did so.

Coulta's tea must not have been much better, because he coughed and made a face that was so comical Wildas had to bite back a laugh.

Myri scowled, glaring at both of them. "In Windwick, healers were appreciated."

"I appreciate what you're doing for me," Wildas tried to explain. "I'm going to drink this because I trust healers. That doesn't mean I'll enjoy it."

Coulta met her gaze levelly when she turned her full focus on him. "I'll drink it."

Clearly satisfied, Myri nodded and looked back at Wildas. "Do you need anything else?"

"Could you bring Anil with you in the morning?" he asked.

She nodded. "I will be sure to."

"Thank you."

"Will you have to drink that now even if you don't want to?" Wildas asked Coulta when the healer was gone.

"No," Coulta answered, swirling the tea in the cup. "But I will. It's only my promises to you that I am forced to keep."

Wildas watched him take another sip and force it down. "I think I'm going to rest now. I would like it if you would come back tomorrow afternoon."

Coulta nodded and rose from his chair. He nearly spilled his tea as he quickly bowed.

"Don't worry about that," Wildas told him, smiling. "The bowing. You only need to do that if you meet me anywhere in a more public place. Even then, I wouldn't mind if you didn't, but it would look bad for you if others noticed."

"Of course," Coulta replied with a nod. "And thank you. For allowing me to stay here."

"Thank you for wanting to stay," Wildas replied.

Coulta gave him one last nod, and left.

Even before the door closed, Wildas felt profoundly lonely. With a sigh he forced himself to drink his tea as quickly as possible. At least no one could see his face when he finished the disgusting concoction. 

Are you interested in learning more about the world this book takes place in? Check out my world on World Anvil.

You can also support the writing by buying me a coffee if you're really loving the story and want to support me. Thank you!

3