Curse of Blades: Chapter 27
21 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The meeting was more interesting to Coulta than Wildas seemed to expect. He was glad to have an idea of what was going on, aside from the brief updates Wildas had given him prior to the meeting.

After the meeting Coulta was introduced to each individual person who had attended, but Coulta knew it would be a few more meetings before he could remember all of them.

"Are you feeling well?" Wildas asked when they finally left the office.

Coulta nodded. "As long as I don't need to do much with my arm today, I'm fine."

"Could you take a walk to the upper market with me?"

"Yes, but I may need to rest when we get there," Coulta admitted.

"I'll make certain you can," Wildas assured him, leading him down the passageway. "We need to purchase gifts for Anil and Myri."

"We do?"

Wildas nodded. "We're supposed to give them betrothal gifts. It's a tradition."

"I'm supposed to give you a gift, too?"

Wildas shrugged. "I'm not asking for one. Traditionally only I'm required to give gifts, but you're still somewhat expected to give Anil and Myri gifts. It doesn't matter if you don't get me one."

"I wouldn't know what to get you," Coulta confessed, feeling oddly pained at the thought of not getting him anything.

"I'm sure Shelton can help if you'd like. He'll be coming to speak with you this evening anyway."

They were startled by the sound of running footsteps coming up behind them. Coulta knew whoever it was wasn't dangerous, but he still turned around quickly to see Rohan slow to a walk as he joined them.

"I'm coming with you," the Prince-General announced.

Wildas looked slightly annoyed. "Why? Coulta's with me."

"But he doesn't need to be defending you before he's fully recovered," Rohan argued.

As much as Coulta wanted to say that he would be just fine, he knew that would be a lie. He'd used just about as much energy as he could spare that morning already, and his shoulder would only hinder him in a fight.

He met Wildas's gaze. "It's not such a bad idea."

Wildas finally nodded, though he didn't look especially happy. "All right."

"So, where are we going?" Rohan asked as they started walking again.

"To the market," Wildas replied.

"I hope you buy me something," Rohan teased.

Wildas ignored him.

Coulta's legs ached by the time they reached their destination – which turned out to be a jeweler's shop – though he hated to admit it. He hoped he didn't look as worn out as he felt, considering all the people who were acknowledging Wildas as they walked.

There were four people in the elegant shop; three older women who briefly nodded their heads to Wildas, and a young man who bowed. One of the women moved away from the group to greet them.

"What trouble are you two boys up to now?" she asked, smiling at Wildas and Rohan, before her gaze moved to Coulta. Her kind smile faded. "Oh child, you're pale. You aren't taking sick, are you?"

Coulta shook his head. "Recovering. It's warmer out than I had anticipated."

She gently took his arm and guided him to a cushioned chair beside a glass case filled with gold and silver necklaces. "I'll fetch you some water."

As she hurried off through a curtained doorway at the back of the shop, Coulta heard someone try to suppress a laugh, and looked up to see Rohan holding his fist to his mouth. Coulta glanced at Wildas, who was glaring at his brother. "What's the problem?" he asked.

Rohan removed his hand and took a deep breath before answering, "If the news had gotten to her by now, dragging you around wouldn't have been proper."

"Why are you dragging him around if it isn't proper?" the woman questioned, returning with a cup. "And what can I help you with?"

Coulta thanked her as he took the cup and was glad of how cool it felt in his hands. He was even more glad of how cool the water was to drink.

"You haven't heard the news?" Wildas asked.

"What news?"

Wildas looked slightly awkward, but didn't sound it when he explained, "I'm here to buy gifts for my future spouses." He motioned to Coulta. "He's one of them."

The woman glanced back at Coulta, who held the now-empty cup in his lap. "The gifts?"

Rohan let out the loudest laugh Coulta had ever heard, and quickly slapped a hand over his mouth and turned away. Coulta could see the Prince-General's shoulders shaking.

"Oh!" The woman looked back at Coulta, then to Wildas again, her kind expression changing to one of concern. "What did you do to him, then?"

"Nothing," Wildas replied. "He was injured in a hunting accident when we were out with some of the Guardsmen a few days ago."

So that was the story they were going with. "I'm all right," Coulta assured her.

She looked at him and finally nodded. "I'm glad. I apologize for taking liberties."

Coulta wasn't sure what she meant. "It's all right. Thank you for the water."

She nodded again as she took the cup and returned it to the room in the back. By the time she came back a moment later, Rohan had composed himself.

"I should introduce you," Wildas said. "Aunt Jinry, this is Coulta of Arren. Coulta, my aunt Jinry."

Coulta nodded to the woman. "It's good to meet you."

"You, as well," she replied with a smile. "How did you possibly meet each other?"

"He saved my life in Arren," Wildas explained. "I'm sure you heard that."

"Oh, yes. So, then, are your future wives the two women the rumor mentions?"

"Yes. They helped Coulta bring me home."

Jinry laughed. "I'm sure there are plenty of disappointed suitors now, to know you didn't even choose from among them. Things will be quite interesting when the news gets out, I'm sure. Now, you're both here for gifts?"

Coulta didn't have the slightest idea of what to get Anil or Myri – in fact, he had a better idea of what he could get for Wildas than either of the women. In the end, he settled on a large onyx on a short silver chain for each of them, thanks to Wildas's suggestion that the gifts were meant to make the receiver think of the person who had given the gift. There would never be a mistake in that.

After Coulta had decided, Wildas stepped away from him and Rohan to speak to his aunt quietly. It took nearly an hour for him to specify what he had in mind, then they made their way back to the castle. Coulta was exhausted by that point, and Wildas suggested that he rest for a while. He didn't phrase it as a command, but Coulta didn't argue.


Anil wasn't surprised when Master Zairn pulled her aside that afternoon.

"Are you truly marrying the Crown Prince or have the rumors escalated?" he questioned when they were alone in the records room.

"I am," she replied. "I was assured that I could keep this job, too."

Zairn put his right hand over his heart. "My Lady," he said, suddenly too formal for Anil's taste, "I cannot allow you to clean stalls and help birth foals. This is not a job suitable for a future queen."

Anil felt strangely trapped. All she could manage was a meek, "I thought future queens could decide what they wished to do."

"It would not look good for Prince Wildas if you continued here," Zairn argued, though he didn't look happy about it. "You have been one of my best workers, but I simply can't allow you to continue here. Speak further with him and see if there is anything else you might be happy doing during your days."

"There is nothing else I want to do," she stated.

At least Zairn looked honest when he said, "I'm sorry, My Lady."

Without another word, she turned for the door and the path back to the castle. It was only when she was close to Coulta's room that she realized she had no idea where to find Wildas if he wasn't sitting with Coulta, or if Coulta was even still on bed rest. Last she'd heard the night before, Myri wasn't certain how mobile he would be by morning.

There was a guard outside Coulta's door, which she took to be a good sign. She quickly brushed a few wisps of straw from herself and hoped she didn't smell too bad as she approached the guard. This was the first female Anil had seen in the Royal Guard uniform, though she suspected there were others.

"I was told only to allow the healers to enter," the guard said when Anil drew close to her.

"Is Prince Wildas inside?" Anil asked.

"No, only Sir Coulta. He's resting. Crown Prince Wildas and Prince-General Rohan went to speak with Second King Shelton."

Sir Coulta? That was different. "Where could I find Second King Shelton?"

The guard gave her brief directions to the Second King's office, then added, "There should be guards up there as well, if you can't find it."

"Thank you," Anil replied with a nod, then made her way down the hall. She found the office easily enough, and asked the guard outside the partially-open door if Wildas was there. The man nodded and ushered her inside.

Second King Shelton, Prince-General Rohan, and Wildas were seated around a low table that was covered by a map of what she assumed was Phelin, though she wasn't close enough to read the labels on it. She heard Rohan mutter something that included the word "surrounded" before they all fell silent.

"Lady Anil wishes to speak to Prince Wildas," the guard said with a low bow. Shelton nodded in acknowledgment and the guard left them.

"What is it?" Wildas asked, looking rather concerned.

Anil glanced around, unsure if she was supposed to bow to the Second King. He and Rohan were both looking at the map again, though, so she simply answered, "Master Zairn doesn't want me working in the stable now."

Wildas's concern turned to confusion. "Why not?"

"It's apparently not appropriate work for a future queen," she replied, blushing.

"You told him I said you could keep the job?"

She nodded. "He said I should speak with you about finding something else to occupy my days. I don't want to do anything else. I enjoy working in the stable."

"I'll speak to him," Wildas declared and started to stand.

"No, you won't," Shelton stated, getting out of his own chair. He looked at Anil and gave her a smile. "Don't worry. Sit for a moment." Going to his desk, he picked up a quill and a sheet of paper. He didn't bother sitting, just stood over his desk as he wrote.

Anil sat down in the empty chair closest to where she'd been standing, which was next to Wildas. She felt strangely uncomfortable and hoped her shyness around Wildas would fade once they were married. She folded her hands in her lap and stared at them, knowing that both princes were watching her.

Suddenly, Wildas rested a hand over hers. "Shelton will sort it out," he told her quietly.

She forced herself to look at him and smiled slightly, though she was aware that she was blushing. "Thank you."

Wildas nodded and awkwardly took his hand back.

A few moments later, Shelton set the quill down and folded the small piece of paper. He then slipped that into an envelope and sealed it using candle wax and a stamp from the desk. Finally, he brought the note to Anil.

"Give this to Master Zairn," he instructed as he handed it over. "It says that you are allowed to continue working there if you wish to, and that he can take the issue up with me if he feels the need."

Anil took it and briefly wondered how the wax had gone from plain yellow to violet. "Thank you," she said with a nod.

He smiled. "I doubt you'll have any more issues, though your schedule there may need to change a bit."

She nodded. "I know. Thank you, though."

"Would you like anything before you go?" he asked. "Something to eat or drink?"

"I don't want to hold up your meeting any longer," she replied, standing. "I would like to get back to work. Thank you for this," she added with a bow.

The Second King smiled. "You're very welcome. You can go, then."

She had just gotten out the door when she heard a muffled laugh, then Rohan's voice saying, "You have a problem if she doesn't even want a kiss from you."

Her face burning, she glanced back in time to see both Shelton and Wildas sit down before the guard closed the door. When had Wildas even gotten up? Gods, had he been planning to tell her goodbye?

It took all of her willpower not to groan out loud as she wondered if he thought less of her now. She hadn't known what to expect, surely he must understand that.

Mortified by her own obliviousness, she hurried down the passageway, clutching the note from the Second King.

Master Zairn seemed surprised to see her again, and went pale when she handed over the note, seal facing up. He carefully broke the seal and removed the note, his hands shaking slightly. It took only a moment for him to read it, and he returned it to the envelope when he finished. Anil was glad to see that he looked relieved.

"All right then," he said with a nod, though he didn't meet her eyes. "If anyone else gives you problems, please tell me so we can deal with it. I'll have to find another to help, as I'm sure you'll have other obligations. Come and work whenever you'd like. Your help will always be appreciated."

"Thank you," she replied with a smile. "I will be here as routinely as I can be."

She assumed she would still be living in the stables until the wedding, and was surprised when Dala and a younger girl appeared that evening to escort her back to the castle. They were wearing dresses that were somehow both simple and elegant at the same time, one blue and the other green, plain but loose enough to flow in gentle breeze. Each girl wore a blue-and-gold rope belt tied around her waist, along with a few minor pieces of jewelry. The younger girl was no older than ten, with blonde hair tied completely back from her blue eyes. She was excitedly talking to Dala about the little colt that was currently nuzzling her hand.

Dala smiled at Anil when she stopped beside them. "I've been appointed as your lady-in-waiting."

Anil had no idea what that meant, but assumed it was something good if the princess seemed happy. She smiled. "I'm glad."

"And this is Lissa, the youngest of us," Dala added, still smiling. "She came along to see the foals."

"There are a lot of them," Anil told the girl, who was shyly avoiding eye contact. "I was told I needed to go to the castle for dinner, but if we have a few moments I could show you a few more."

Lissa looked up at Dala. "Please?"

Dala sighed, but still smiled. "All right."

Anil led them down the aisle and pointed out some of the little colts and fillies. The young princess gushed over all of them.

"How come not all the horses have babies?" Lissa asked as they turned back for the entrance.

"It's not time yet," Anil explained. "When they are ready to have their babies, they will."

"Do they have round bellies too, just like ladies?"

"Of course." Anil paused to point into the stall of a heavily pregnant gray mare. "See?"

Lissa leaned over the half door to look at the horse, who watched them with pricked ears. "She's pretty."

"Of course she is," Dala agreed, putting a gentle hand on her sister's back. "Let's not be late for dinner, though."

As they started up the sloping path to the castle grounds, Anil finally decided that it was time to admit that she had no idea what was going on. "What does it mean for you to be my lady-in-waiting?"

Dala kept her eyes on Lissa, who was skipping ahead of them. "It just means I'm to help you with day-to-day life at court. I'm supposed to help you get ready for the day and social events. I don't need to follow you wherever you go, but I am supposed to go with you when you go to the market or out of the city." She sighed as she added, "Until whatever this mysterious threat is that's hanging over everyone is done with, we'll also have a Guardsman with us for such things. I hope it's one of my more pleasant cousins."

Though Dala had helped her prepare for dinner previously, the thought of her doing it every day surprised Anil. "It seems like a job a servant would do," she said hesitantly. "Not that I mean any offense. I'm still not used to life here, and the idea that I'm getting married is still sinking in. Not to mention who I'm marrying."

Dala laughed. "I understand. It's always another princess who becomes the lady-in-waiting to the future queens. We're supposed to be almost like sisters, or at least friends in some manner. My elder sister, Marla, will be attending to Myri. The same for the attendants of the men. Star has been preparing to be Wildas's attendant for years, since Wildas reached marriageable age, but my Aunt Astrid has been looking for a suitable cousin to attend Coulta as we don't have another brother without a military position."

"I assumed Wildas would have had a personal servant for most of his life," Anil admitted as they reached the door in the wall.

"There are always servants to help us all," Dala explained, and if she thought Anil was a fool with her questions, she didn't let on. "It isn't thought that the heir needs a personal attendant until he's married. I suppose because he isn't expected to have as many obligations before that."

Anil nodded thoughtfully. "I suppose preparing to be a king and keeping three spouses happy can be quite a lot to deal with."

Dala gave her a strange look. "I know my brother. He'd give his life to make sure you were all happy. If you are ever unhappy, just speak to him. He'd do anything to help, and not just because he's obligated to, as your husband. He hasn't allowed himself many friends, but you are one of them. You shouldn't ever consider yourself a broodmare."

Anil blushed and looked away, remembering that Wildas had been ready to talk to Master Zairn as soon as she had told him of the situation. Then she remembered her failure to properly tell him farewell. "I didn't mean it that way."

Dala patted her shoulder. "I know. I just wanted to assure you."

Anil smiled as they reached the castle. "Thank you."

Are you interested in learning more about the world this book takes place in? Check out my world on World Anvil.

You can also support the writing by buying me a coffee if you're really loving the story and want to support me. Thank you!

2