Curse of Blades: Chapter 29
19 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They kept the bed curtains closed, but that just led to Star annoyingly calling their names to wake them up at dawn. After dressing, Coulta met his own personal attendant, who had arrived to take him back to his own room to freshen up before the meeting in the Grand King's office. The young man was a couple years older than Star and was, as expected, one of Wildas's cousins. He introduced himself as Ralix, though Coulta wondered if he had the title of a prince or not. He didn't dress quite as regally as Star, but Coulta guessed that could easily be due to personal preference or the fact that he wasn't the Grand King's son. He was tall and almost scrawny, probably not good in a fight, and had pale blond hair with gray eyes.

And he walked somewhat awkwardly, Coulta noted as he followed the man out of Wildas's room.

"What will you be doing as my attendant?" Coulta asked as they walked through the passageways, hoping to be friendly. If Ralix was essentially his servant, even one with high status, he wasn't going to be a cold master, or whatever he was to the younger man.

Ralix shrugged his thin shoulders. "Keeping your things in order. Taking care of your wardrobe. Fetching servants for anything you need brought to you."

"Where do you stay?"

"For now, in a room across the hall from yours. After the wedding all of us will have small rooms in the same hall as your chambers, with an inner passageway to the main bedchamber. I will also travel with you whenever you leave the city."

As they reached Coulta's door he asked, "Do you fight, too?"

Ralix seemed suddenly tense as he pushed open the door. "I'm not a swordsman, if you haven't noticed, but I've become quite good with a bow. Not that the archer regiment wants a cripple in the ranks. So here I am."

Coulta wasn't sure if that was meant as an insult, but it certainly felt like one. "I won't force anyone to do a job they don't want to do. I'll ask if anyone else would like to take your place," he declared, walking to the washbasin. Hopefully Wildas – or whoever was in charge – would allow a change in attendants.

"No!" Ralix replied hastily. "I apologize. I didn't mean to insult you. I just... I don't know how to explain."

Coulta turned to look at the man, and somehow knew exactly what Ralix felt in his heart. "You wanted to have real purpose in your life."

Ralix nodded and looked down. "Not that this has no purpose."

"It's just not the same, and I understand." He hoped he sounded compassionate as he asked, "What happened?"

Ralix sighed and lifted his gaze only to stare out the window. "I was thirteen, riding my father's horse during a pleasure ride in the fields outside the city. I wasn't supposed to be riding Starblade, but I unhitched him while my father was taking a nap in the sun. No one paid any attention to me, until I rode Starblade close to one of the few large trees. There was a beehive, and they stung both of us. Starblade panicked and my leg was slammed against the tree, shattering my knee, before Starblade reared and I fell. The healers did what they could, and I am grateful that I can walk at all.

"And I don't want your pity, either," he added before turning for the door. "I'll wait in the hall for you."

As Coulta watched the younger man leave, he realized what he felt wasn't pity, but a sense of understanding that he'd never felt before. Ralix's injury was a curse that had changed his life, much like Coulta's, though in different ways. Perhaps he'd have to tell his attendant about that one day. For now, he had a meeting to attend.

***

The wedding would be only eight days from the morning Coulta had been presented to the court, was the announcement. Myri had been told that it usually took months to plan a royal wedding, but with Ryal being surrounded now by enemy holdings, no guests would be coming from outside the city. That meant the wedding could take place as soon as possible, though she had a feeling the Grand King preferred it this way.

The short time to prepare meant the castle was full of bustling ladies and servants, and Myri was often pulled away from her work with the healers to do her part in the preparations. She had to give her opinion on the style of gown she wanted, then she had to attend more fittings than she had expected. She had to be measured for rings and shoes, was taken to select an array of perfumes, and had her hair styled until she settled on one she vaguely liked just to keep the elder women of the household happy. She and Anil also spent time daily with Queen Yvona, learning what it meant to be wives of the Crown Prince.

They took dinner with Coulta and Wildas each night, and Myri checked Coulta's shoulder each time. He was healing quickly, much to her relief, and would likely be completely healed by the day of the wedding. The curse truly did want him whole.


As soon as Coulta was feeling up to it, Shelton requested another duel to test the younger man's ability to channel his magic. He'd expected Coulta to have improved, but he hadn't expected to see such an increase in the amount of power he could wield. He almost would have thought the curse had broken if not for what Asema had said about that, and the fact that Coulta did eventually tire much sooner than Shelton – also the fact that Wildas hadn't yet pounded down Shelton's door to tell him that he mysteriously had magic.

They'd drawn a crowd by the time they ended the duel, something he was sure would become a common occurrence. It was rare for two powerful sorcerers to have a practice duel right on the castle grounds, and even more so for both to be court sorcerers, not to mention the current Second King and the future one.

Shelton knelt down beside Coulta, who was sitting in the arena sand, winded and sweating. In comparison, Shelton only felt vaguely tired, which only a moment of rest would resolve. He knew Coulta wouldn't be able to stand for at least a few minutes, and then he was going to need all his willpower to walk unaided.

"You pushed yourself dangerously far just now," Shelton commented as Ralix hurried into the arena with water.

Coulta took the water with a nod of thanks. "I realize that now."

"You didn't realize you were draining yourself?"

Coulta drank his water before answering, "I thought I was supposed to feel tired."

Shelton sighed. "I should have explained better. With your magic, you shouldn't need to concentrate very hard on using your power. If you can't simply channel it, you're pushing too far."

"When we were attacked outside the city, I had to think hard to keep the magic over Wildas."

"And that almost killed you," Shelton reminded him. "That's exactly what I mean. If it takes extra concentration, you need to stop using it. There are other ways to fight."

Coulta wiped the sweat off his face with a black sleeve. "When it comes to protecting Wildas, I can't decide how I act."

Shelton sighed. "Then let's hope he doesn't need a whole lot of protection."


Anil was glad that she no longer felt awkward around Wildas, but she was still worried about making a fool of herself on their wedding night. So, after some consideration, she went to the healing room.

Myri saw her almost as soon as she entered the room and walked over. "Is everything all right?" she asked.

Anil nodded. "I just wanted to talk to you. It's nothing serious though."

Myri drew her into a private examination room and sat down with her. "What is it?"

Anil knew she was blushing. "Are you... I mean... Have you ever been with a man before?"

"A few times," Myri said with a shrug. "May have been more if patients weren't off-limits," she added, and Anil knew she was trying to put her at ease. "Why do you want to know?"

Anil looked at the tapestry-covered wall and admitted, "I haven't."

"Oh," was all Myri said.

"The only man who ever showed interest in me was that soldier Coulta stopped from raping me," she explained. "I just don't want to make a fool of myself on our wedding night."

Myri gripped her hand gently. "Just make sure you tell them. If you're uncomfortable about anything, let them know. I may not know them perfectly well, but I doubt either of them would knowingly make you suffer from anything."

That surprised Anil slightly. "You think that well of Coulta?"

"I agreed to marry him, didn't I? It was the curse that put me off at first, but now that I've been able to understand the man hiding behind it, I know he's a kind and caring person. His past was not his own, and he had no choice. He's yet to hurt anyone here who didn't deserve it one way or another."

Anil nodded. "I think he's a good man, too. So is Wildas."

Myri smiled. "Yes. Just be honest with them. And if you need me, I'll be right there. I've had plenty of practice putting men in their place. Not all patients liked being off-limits."

"I hope I don't have to learn those skills," Anil said.

"I'll teach you. As a woman, you can never be too safe. I wouldn't want to assume all men are respectful even when I am married to the Crown Prince. Sometimes men try to get away with everything."

Anil nodded, thinking of some of the rude stable boys she'd dealt with. "I know what you mean."

Myri opened the herb pouch she always carried and pulled out a few dry, gray-violet leaves. "Here. First lesson: if a man attacks you, try to get this into his mouth. It will cause blisters in his mouth instantly, and if he swallows, blisters will form down his throat. It won't kill him, but he'll be in too much pain to even attempt to hold you there. Just get away as quickly as possible. One leaf will do it."

Anil took the leaves and nodded, slipping them into her purse at her belt. "Thank you."

"I need to get back to the sick room," Myri said. "Before another soon-to-be relative needs me for another fitting." She leaned in and kissed Anil's cheek. "If you have any other concerns, you can always find me."

Anil kissed Myri's cheek in return. "I will."

As she began walking back to the stables, Anil had to admit to herself that she did feel a bit better about her situation.

Are you interested in learning more about the world this book takes place in? Check out my world on World Anvil.

You can also support the writing by buying me a coffee if you're really loving the story and want to support me. Thank you!

2