King of Blades: Chapter 7
15 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jaimathan was amazed by how easy it was to fall into life in another king's court over the next month. He, Braith, and Fae were treated with high regard by everyone they encountered, despite not wearing a single symbol of power on their bodies aside from Jaimathan's ring that showed his position as the heir of Algoma. They were welcomed into the Grand King's court and Fae became fairly close to the queens. Braith spent much of his time with the mages who were gathering to join Lord Shelton's new army. He wasn't certain what Shan was doing with the freedom they had been granted in the castle and city, but the Shifter spoke to Fae on a regular basis.

Jaimathan attended the court meetings Grand King Wildas held, and spent the rest of his days doing whatever he could to pass the time while he waited for Shelton to find someone to help him. He still felt empty and as if he were another person, and he struggled to distract himself. It wasn't easy when he was in an unfamiliar place, surrounded by unfamiliar people. His entire life felt surreal, even a month after arriving in Ryal. His only reminders of reality were Braith and Fae, and for the first time he feared he would ruin his marriage. He was just so... not himself that he was distant and unresponsive. He wasn't unkind, but it was difficult to be very friendly when he felt so wrong. Fae was doing her best for him, but he hoped she didn't change her feelings for him now that he wasn't the man she had married.

"Jai!"

He looked up at Braith as his Guardian came to a halt in front of the bench where Jaimathan had been sitting in the courtyard. Braith was breathing heavily, as if he'd been running through the castle. 

"What's wrong?" Jaimathan demanded, standing.

"Algoma was been attacked," Braith stated breathlessly.

Cold fear shot through Jaimathan and he sat back down.

"My father contacted me when I was with Shelton," Braith went on quickly, "or I wouldn't have told anyone before you. Shelton's gathering the court but granted me time to speak to you privately before we join them."

"My mother?" Even to himself his voice sounded distant.

"Everyone is safe for now. Some damage was done to the city and the farmlands, but the gates at the castle were shut in time and we pushed them back out of the city. The invaders seem content to hold a siege, which won't last more than a month if we can't manage a supply route."

"How was the city caught so unaware?"

"The army was hidden by magic that not even my father could sense until it was right before him."

"Sorcerers can't sense necromancy unless in direct contact with the magic. Shelton explained that to me." His hands clenched tightly into fists. "But the Asirim can sense it. If I had been there -"

"You wouldn't have understood what you were sensing and no one would truly have taken you seriously." Braith sat down beside him on the bench. "You came here to understand your power, so next time you won't be idle. Your mother wants you to stay through this. She understands what game Kemale is playing, from a political position."

"And what game is he playing?"

***

"He's waiting for Algoma to request help from Phelin."

Coulta had thought he knew enough by now about politics and strategy not to be surprised by Shelton's words – knowing enough to actively deal with the issues was another thing entirely – but he was.

"Why?" one of Wildas's uncles asked.

"He's not a fool," Shelton answered. "Things would be easier if he were. He knows we've been preparing for him to move against us. We've been growing our army, calling for anyone who wishes to fight. And he knows I'm here. He's not powerful enough yet to deal with me and he knows that. I already dealt him serious blows twice now. If he leads an army against us now he knows he will lose. But Algoma had no reason to suspect an attack. The army he sent there was small in comparison to what he could muster with time. His goal is to force Queen Cyra to call for aid from us, and for us to answer her. As soon as we send a force to break the siege, Kemale will call his army back and attack us while we have fewer defenders."

"You can't be suggesting that we do that!"

Coulta recognized that annoying voice as Prince-General Ruairi, the only uncle Wildas had who could never be happy at a meeting until he'd argued against something simply for the sake of not agreeing with everyone else.

"My mother is not asking for aid," Prince Jaimathan replied calmly. "Nor will she. She has clearly stated that she knows exactly what Lord Shelton has just explained. She believes the army will eventually leave if she does not call for aid from Phelin."

"And how will he know if she calls for aid or not?" Ruairi demanded. "Surely he won't wait for his army to be caught from behind."

"He may see these soldiers as expendable," Shelton replied, though he was giving Ruairi a falsely patient look. "But he likely has spies around us. Not in the castle," he added firmly. "I have been working on many new spells to catch those using magic related to necromancy to spy. This led me to find two more spies like the one who took Anil. So yes, Ruairi, I know the spells work."

Coulta saw Wildas run a hand over his mouth quickly, obviously hiding a smile. Only Shelton ever had the courage to speak to Ruairi in such a way.

"And what will we do if Algoma does ask for aid?" Ruairi pressed, undaunted.

"It will not happen," Jaimathan stated. "My mother has made that perfectly clear."

"And we would not send aid," Wildas declared, looking at Jaimathan.

The Algoman prince gave a faint smile and a nod. "Thank you."

"I believe there is nothing more to discuss at this time," Wildas announced to the room of advisers. "You will be kept apprised of the situation regularly. For now I call this meeting to an end."

Coulta, Wildas, Shelton, Jaimathan, and Braith all remained seated as everyone else left. Rohan held the door, then closed it firmly behind the final adviser. He crossed the room and sat down with a sigh.

"I do want to extend one offer," Wildas stated, looking only at Jaimathan. "If your mother wishes it, we can help to coordinate a supply chain in an attempt to help them hold out against the siege."

Jaimathan smiled faintly. "Thank you. We will pass this offer on to her and give you her response. I see no reason why she would refuse."

Wildas nodded, then turned to Shelton. "Why wasn't I told about the other spies?"

Shelton chuckled. "Because I didn't catch any. I found the magic but the individuals connected to it had fled. I believe they must have left after the kidnapping of Anil failed." His amusement faded and he sighed. "But we do need to be more watchful. Kemale won't invade before he has regained all his strength, but he will likely continue these games until then."

The door opened and Yvona joined them. She was dressed in a similar red uniform to what Rohan wore and she looked drawn and tired. As soon as she sat down she turned to Rohan and informed him, "Morning drills are done. They're all yours. I have my own units to deal with this afternoon."

"Thank you," Rohan replied with a nod. "I'll go do some work, I suppose."

"And I should go speak to Fae," Jaimathan stated, and glanced at Wildas.

Wildas gave a slight wave of his hand. "You don't need my permission to leave a private meeting," he assured the prince.

"Thank you."

Though they had agreed not to send military aid, Wildas still took the suggestions of most of his advisors and sent Prince-General Ruairi and a unit of the army to the border between Phelin and Algoma. The mission was to raise and mobilize the standing armies of the villages and cities closest to the border. If the army invading Algoma saw fit to move on to Phelin over land they would be prepared.

***

It took a great deal of convincing before Jaimathan could get his mother to accept the offer of aid from Phelin. She still remained steadfastly against any military assistance, but eventually agreed to accept any other help they were given.

When she asked about his magic he quickly changed the subject to Algoma's situation again. He didn't want her to lose her hope in him, even if he no longer had any hope himself.

It took four days for a route to be plotted and volunteers to be found. No one seemed certain whether or not the supplies would even reach Algoma City, or if the volunteers would ever return. They all seemed determined to at least try. Jaimathan had no hope in this, either.

The loss of his powers truly had given him a negative outlook on everything.

***

It had been ten days since the attack on Algoma and Anil had noticed a mixture of both fear and relief in those around her ever since. Everyone feared what would happen when Emperor Kemale grew bored with Algoma, but everyone was also relieved that for now they still had time to live their lives in peace. A threat loomed, but each day was a gift.

Coulta was still visibly watchful as they rode out from the castle on Lozk's Day, the day of the annual harvest festival. Not only had Wildas allowed Coulta to be armed, he was also armed with his own sword, though they both wore long coats to hide their weapons. Luckily, it was cool enough for this to be seen as completely normal. She and Myri were also wearing warm coats over their fancy riding dresses.

Anil could practically feel the magic crackling around Shelton, who was clearly prepared to act at the first sign of trouble. He and Yvona rode behind Anil and Myri, who were behind Coulta and Wildas. Jaimathan and Fae were next in the procession as honored guests. Then came Rohan and twelve Guardsmen.

Rohan had been complaining before they had left about letting his brother lead the traditional procession, but Wildas refused to let anyone else lead as long as Coulta was there beside him.

Anil was worried at first, too, considering that they were at the brink of war, but she was quickly lost in the sights before her. The harvest festival in Windwick was nothing compared to this. She was used to seeing people selling treats and trinkets, and farmers showing off their best crops. All those things were here, too, but in a much greater number. Colored banners fluttered in the crisp breeze and music filled the air.

When they reached the central market, Anil was amazed by the number of people moving about in relative order. Everything was so colorful and there was so much laughter that she couldn't help but smile. The scents of breads, sweets, and meat mingled through the air.

They made a full circuit of the market, acknowledging everyone they could. Almost everyone bowed, though many children simply gawked as they passed. Several people gave them gifts, as well. Anil was especially enticed by the sweets, but Shelton had warned them all to wait until they returned to the castle to eat anything they were given. They also all wore gloves to protect them from touching anything tainted by poison or magic.

It was a shame that they had to take such precautions, but since being held captive, even for a short time, she understood why the caution was needed.

As they left the main market square by another street they passed a young man performing magic tricks for a group of children. He stopped to bow as they passed, and his audience quickly became intrigued by the riders. The man cut his bow short to look up past Anil, at Shelton behind her. Without blinking, he raised his right hand to eye level. An quick twist of his wrist produced a single, bright green flame, which flashed out when he made a fist with his hand and touched it to his left breast.

Puzzled, Anil glanced back at Shelton in time to see him nod regally to the man, who then bowed his head briefly before turning back to the children.

"What was that?" Anil asked Myri quietly.

Myri shook her head. "I'm not sure. It must not have been a threat though."

"He just swore to fight with me," Shelton explained from behind them. "It's the traditional sign of alliance among mages."

"I thought everyone in the city had already sworn to fight?" Yvona asked.

"It seems they've begun answering the call from outside the city itself, perhaps from outside the country as well."

"Foreigners would fight for us?" Anil asked, surprised.

Shelton smiled faintly. "Only the Wielder of the Violet Power can summon an army of mages, and it doesn't happen often, nor have any of us ever raised an army without true cause. To answer the summons and join the fight is usually seen as an honorable thing to do, regardless of one's own nationality or that of the violet sorcerer."

A short time later, they reached the storehouses where farmers were bringing their crops to be sold to the crown.

"How is this year's harvest?" Wildas asked the middle-aged woman who was clearly in charge. She wore no uniform, but she was giving commands like a military officer.

She bowed low before answering, "It's a good one. We'll exhaust the budget by tomorrow at this rate. And it'll take days to bring everything in."

"Disregard the budget," Wildas instructed. "Continue paying the standard rate for everything until we have it all."

"Siege?" the woman asked quietly.

"That, or the loss of farmland."

"Are we to implement tighter rations for distribution over the winter, then?"

"I'd prefer not to, but be ready in case we must."

The woman bowed again. "We will be, Your Majesty."

He nodded to her, then they rode on. Anil felt sick at the thought of the people of the city not having enough food to eat during the winter. Especially while she was certain the castle would always be supplied well.

When they reached the castle yard and passed their horses to the grooms, Myri grasped her hand. "You look miserable."

Anil shook her head. "It seems so unfair, that those people could starve and we would still eat well."

She wasn't surprised when Wildas turned to her, despite her quiet whisper. He stepped close and hugged her gently. "You're right," he told her. "That would be unfair. But if we impose a heavier rationing, we will also ration the castle. That's how we've always done it. We won't let the people go hungry and not suffer with them."

Anil smiled faintly. "I don't like to sound as though I'm hoping for a hard winter, but I'm glad about that."

Wildas smiled back at her. "I understand. And I agree."

The feast started that evening and the dishes included fresh items just harvested from the farms outside the city. As the tradition dictated, all the local farmers were invited to the feast at the castle, though fewer accepted the invitation this year than usual, according to what Anil heard Rohan saying to Wildas, and she wondered if many of them were afraid of something terrible happening at the meal or on their way home afterward.

The Great Hall was still fairly full. Tables had been brought in from the castle dining hall and decorated with candles and bouquets of fall plants and flowers. Streamers decorated the balconies and dried husks and reeds were spread across the floor.

Anil sat with her spouses, the Algoman guests, and Shelton and Yvona, on a raised platform at the end of the Hall. The doors at the other end stood open for late guests, with several Guardsmen on watch for guests who may not be as welcome.

The only other nobles present were direct members of the court. All others were supposedly celebrating with feasts of their own in the city. Most of the guests were the farmers and their families, all of whom seemed nervous only at first, until Anil helped Myri and Yvona pass out gifts of simple toys to the children and other small gifts of teas and medicinal herbs to the parents.

Brother Pelles, the castle's resident priest of the gods, lead a prayer to Lozk before the meal began, his voice booming through the silent Hall. "Thank you, Lozk, God of the Land and Harvest, for granting us such a good year. We pray that you continue to bless us in our time of need and we thank you for all that you give." He scattered a handful of crushed mint across the floor, then bowed and left the Hall. As usual, he had declined the invitation to dine with them.

Priests were strange people.

Anil was a little disappointed when Myri told her that she shouldn't drink any wine while she was pregnant. It wasn't that she truly wanted to drink, but the knowledge that it would be a very lonely night when all of her spouses could have the spiked wine that was always served at these banquets, that disappointed her.

But when the servants came around to offer wine, Wildas chose the regular wine, much to her surprise. Coulta and Myri followed his example, too, and none of them changed their choices for the rest of the night.

The meal was followed by music and socializing, and even some dancing when the tables were pulled aside. As the night grew late, Wildas stood from his seat and asked for order. The Hall fell silent quickly, and all eyes turned to the raised table.

"I thank you all for attending this year's feast to Lozk. I believe that many of you are worried about your long ride home in the dark. The worry is perfectly understandable considering the looming threat of war. I therefore invite any and all of you who wish to stay here for the night to do so." He lifted his hand to the doors on either side of the Hall and several servants entered carrying sleeping mats and blankets. "This Hall will be thoroughly guarded. If you wish to leave at any time all you need to do is tell the guards, but you are also welcome to stay for breakfast. I bid you all a good night."

Anil was somewhat relieved that the night was over – she was tired and just wanted to sleep – but she was also saddened. She had enjoyed seeing the look of happiness on the faces of the guests, especially the children who may not have ever been inside the castle before. She knew they would all cherish their gifts as they grew up.

The relief she saw on so many faces when they learned that they needn't venture out past the woods to their farms that night was also wonderful to see.

She came to realize suddenly that she truly did love Wildas.

Are you interested in learning more about the world this book takes place in? Check out my world on World Anvil.

You can also support the writing by buying me a coffee if you're really loving the story and want to support me. Thank you!

1