King of Blades: Chapter 10
19 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jaimathan received the news he had been both dreading and praying against eleven days later. He was watching the mages train in the gently falling snow in the castle yard. They were working on the most destructive spells, and Master Shelton had brought them outside so the Great Hall wouldn't be damaged in any way. Jaimathan enjoyed watching them work, even though it made him miss his own powers even more. The ease with which these sorcerers used their magic was impressive.

Braith had been working with them, but had left when he'd received a magical summons from his father. Jaimathan tried not to be concerned. Arin contacted Braith on a daily basis to give an update on the situation in Algoma City. Usually there wasn't much of an update to give, other than that the supplies from Phelin had been smuggled in, and that people were restless and unhappy about the siege that had gone on for over two months now.

But when Braith returned, Jaimathan knew instantly that something had gone horribly wrong. He looked shaken, shocked, utterly pale in the drifting snow. In the space of only moments a hundred different horrible thoughts crossed Jaimathan's mind.

Then Braith dropped to one knee before him, fist to chest and head bowed.

"No," Jaimathan gasped. He stumbled back a step until he caught his heel in the fence of the practice arena. "How?" he demanded.

Braith rose slowly to his feet. "The Dyrain general asked to negotiate. They were as tired of the siege as we were. She agreed –"

"And he killed her?" Jaimathan could feel the anger boiling through him. "The coward."

"He admitted that the attack wasn't about capturing Algoma or even the city itself, but he was under orders not to leave without proof of victory. My father claims she sacrificed herself to save the city and all living within it."

"She trusted him? Why?"

Braith shook his head. "I don't know. My father says there is a lot of activity outside the walls though. They could very well be preparing to leave."

"Or renew the attack when our guard is down," Jaimathan spat.

"Or that."

Jaimathan started for the castle, walking so fast that Braith had to jog to keep up. "Did you tell Fae?"

"I came straight to you. And your mother's last wish was that you stay here to see things through here."

Jaimathan spun to face him. "How can I? I'm useless here. If I had been home I would have been able to stop her!"

Braith held his hands up and spoke calmly. "I'm only passing on what I was told. She wants you here. I swore an oath to her personally before we left to keep you here until whatever is coming is over."

With a snort, Jaimathan turned back for the castle. "So what am I supposed to do?" he demanded.

"Your father needs your formal permission to serve as regent. Unless you have someone else in mind to take the position."

"Of course it would be him," Jaimathan replied as he shoved through the heavy side door of the castle. At least he had learned his way around well enough not to get lost in his current state of distress.

Braith grabbed his shoulder to stop him. Jaimathan resisted the urge to shrug him off, instead letting Braith reason with him like he had for most of their lives.

"You should go back to your room. I'll bring Fae to you and we can speak to my father again."

Jaimathan sighed and nodded. "Thank you."

The grief hit him when he was alone, but he pushed it away long enough to speak to his father through Braith's communication crystal. For once he was glad that only sound could pass through the crystal and not images. He didn't want to see the expression his father had to be wearing.

The three of them remained in the room in near silence for the rest of the day. Braith had assured him that the news had been communicated to their hosts, and Jaimathan wasn't surprised when they weren't disturbed at all until late in the evening when there was a knock on the door.

Grand King Wildas himself stepped quietly into the room when Braith answered the door. He looked sincerely sympathetic and spoke gently. "Anything you need, you will have. All you need to do is ask."

Jaimathan gripped the back of the chair he'd been leaning on and cleared his throat. "Thank you."

Wildas nodded silently and left.

***

It was strangely quiet throughout the castle, almost as quiet as it had been after Deandre's death. Everyone seemed to be mourning the Algoman queen as if they had known her personally. Perhaps it was merely out of respect for the prince who was still in residence.

Jaimathan and Fae did not appear anywhere around the castle until two days after news of Queen Cyra's death had come. Braith and the Shifter messenger, Shan, were seen periodically, but seemed to be staying close to their royal companions. Braith wore a black sash, which was the Algoman mourning custom for court members, Coulta had been told.

When Jaimathan and Fae did leave their seclusion, Jaimathan wore all black ad Fae wore a sash much like Braith's. They both attended Wildas's morning meeting on the third day after the news had come, along with Braith.

After the expected round of condolences, Jaimathan announced, "I have news. The Dyrains have left Algoma entirely as of this morning. They left by sea, or so we assume. Their ships vanished from the coast and the soldiers are gone. Arin and the other sorcerers in the area could find no evil magic left by anyone, though my father is encouraging caution."

"Ruairi was sent to the border to rouse local defenders as soon as we learned about the original attack on Algoma," Wildas commented. "We'll send word to be even more watchful."

"It would be wise for the navy to focus on guarding the mouth of the river," Pavle suggested. "I need to be back out with my ships now as it is. I will gather them at the river if that is your command," he added, looking at Wildas.

Wildas nodded. "You understand naval strategy better than I do. Do what you feel will be best."

Pavle saluted him. "As you wish."

"With your permission," Jaimathan went on, "I would also like to send for the Shifters. If the invaders have left Algoma, they can only be coming here. Berk would be a useless target, and they would spread themselves too thin by attacking Orma, Nairiume, or Mahlon."

"Very logical," Shelton agreed. "It would be a great advantage if the Shifters did come to support us as soon as possible."

Wildas nodded. "Yes, please send for them."

"I will speak to Shan this morning," Fae assured them.

"Have we now done all that we possibly can to prepare?" Yvona asked.

Shelton looked thoughtful for a long moment, then shrugged. "I'm sure there is always more than could be done. We will not be fighting only mortal soldiers."

"I will gather my crew," Pavle declared, getting to his feet with another salute.

When Wildas didn't stop him, the meeting was officially ended. The others left, until it was just Coulta, Wildas, and Shelton.

"There is something else I believe you should be aware of," Shelton told them. "If I remember correctly, there is a mostly forgotten provision Grand King Caolan put into place toward the end of his reign. It pertains to certain groups who can be called to fight for Ryal in times like this."

"Where is the document?" Wildas asked, interested.

"In the library," Shelton answered. "If either of you would like to come with me, please do."

Wildas got to his feet and motioned to Shelton. "Lead on."

Coulta guessed that the castle library was approximately the size of the entire royal suite of rooms that he shared with his spouses. The walls were lined from floor to ceiling with books and scrolls, and several more free-standing shelves made the sprawling room into a maze. The lights hanging from the ceiling were all magic – the only fire in the room was the hearth fire that was burning for heat, and Coulta was sure that there was a considerable amount of magic around it to keep accidental fires from claiming the entire collection of works and documents.

There were a few people reading there and they all scrambled to their feet to bow when they noticed who the newcomers were. Wildas nodded to them as they passed. The readers were spread across the library and seemed to be a mix of castle servants on leave, Shelton's mages, and Wildas's siblings.

Shelton led them to the far corner of the library and began searching a shelf of thick books. It took him only a few moments to find what he was looking for. The cover was made of red leather and embossed with gold letters and numbers. It read; E-3 353-398 C.

"Third Era," Shelton explained. "Years 353 to 398. The C is for Caolan. It's a collection of all the decisions, laws, speeches, and announcements he ever made. He had collected what records he could salvage from before the invasion by Berk and had those bound by date and king as well. That order is in this book somewhere. He commanded that it should be the new tradition, and his records were bound after his death. And each Grand King's after him."

"That's why you have a scribe whenever you hear petitions?" Coulta asked, glancing at Wildas.

Wildas nodded and motioned to a desk on the other side of the room. On top of it sat a small chest. "My book is in that box. Well, the loose pages. It won't be bound until my reign is over."

Coulta hoped that wouldn't be for several more decades. He turned back to Shelton as he began gently flipping the pages of the old book.

"The first thing he did was strike down many old laws and those of the Berk Overlord," Shelton said with a hint of a smile. "'No person living within the borders of the nation of Phelin shall be prevented from a marriage of choice. Marriage need not be for the purpose of producing children and need not be between only two individuals.' At that time marriage in Berk, and in Phelin, while Berk was in control, could only occur once a woman was already pregnant, and she had to marry the baby's father."

"Why?" Coulta asked.

"Winters are long and harsh in Berk," Shelton answered. "Not everyone makes it through them. Children especially. It's important to them to keep the population growing."

From a logical standpoint, it made sense. Coulta still didn't think it was very kind, though. What about those who couldn't have children? Those who were somehow incurably infertile like he was? It seemed cruel to deny them happiness.

Shelton flipped to the back of the book and began scanning the pages until he found what he was looking for. "Here it is. 'In times of war the Grand King or acting Regent has the authority to call to the city's defense the members of all the city's guilds. These guilds include but are not limited to: the Merchants' Guild, the Pleasure Guild, the Farmers' Guild, the Artisans' Guild, and the Thieves' Guild. These guilds are expected to have a plan for wartime and are free to develop those plans without question from the Crown.' Two days prior to that he had issued a proclamation stating that we would no longer actively pursue the Thieves Guild itself, as long as it operated within certain guidelines. Agreeing to this clause to defend the city was one of those guidelines."

"It has always bothered me to let them exist," Wildas commented. "We don't collect payment from them as we do with the other guilds, but allowing them to continue stealing from people seems wrong."

"They aren't to rob anyone of everything of value," Shelton pointed out. "They can't kill anyone. If a member is apprehended that member pays for the crime without being helped by the guild. If the guild is caught paying off city guards, killing, or sacking entire houses, or if a member is doing that and is not turned in by the guild, we can and will dismantle the guild very efficiently. Several of my spies are members. They don't know who each other are, so they can't concoct a lie to protect themselves. I know exactly where their guild house is and who runs it. We have them under control to the best of our ability. No solution is perfect, but this stopped the endless waste of time and money that went into trying to bring them down. The guild was happy to stop wasting money and time trying to stay ahead of us, as well."

"Money that came from stealing from people in the city?" Coulta asked.

Shelton nodded. "That's why they don't pay us for the right to conduct business here."

Wildas rubbed his short beard, a new addition Coulta rather liked. "If I have only vaguely heard of this law requiring the guilds to defend the city, how do we know any of them have kept to their plans, or even made any at all for that matter?"

Shelton closed the book carefully. "There's only one way to find out."

"Summon them all to court?"

"I can give you a list of all the leaders. I have spies in all the guilds – they have other jobs when they aren't working for me, of course. We'll have them all come together, but don't let them know it will be a group conversation. They don't all get along. They also all like to play court. Tell them to invite their advisers."

"They have advisers?" Coulta questioned, surprised.

"There are sub-guilds within all the guilds," Shelton explained. "Every sub-guild has a leader, and the guild as a whole has a leader."

"I didn't realize they were so complex," Coulta admitted. As far as he'd known, his former home of Arren had never had guilds.

Shelton smiled. "Wait until you meet them."

***

Myri was surprised when she saw Prince Jarlin enter the healing room. She had thought the prince had gone to sea with Prince-Admiral Pavle that morning as he always did. As the next in line for the Prince-Admiral position, he was already commanding a ship of his own and was learning from his uncle how to lead the entire fleet. Then she saw him stifle a cough as he glanced around the room and she knew why he was still at the castle. Even the most minor of illnesses could become dangerous for crews in such tight living quarters.

"Do you have anything that may help my cough?" he asked her hoarsely when she approached him.

She guided him to a bed. "I'm sure I do, but I need to see how serious it is first."

"I hope not very," Jarlin replied, then winced and rubbed his throat.

After a quick examination, Myri was able to confirm that the illness wasn't dangerous, so long as she treated him now and he followed her instructions.

"Don't endanger all of us by not taking your dosages," she warned, handing him a fresh cup of tea and a handful of small packets of the dried herbs. "I trust you know how to make tea?"

He grimaced as he swallowed a mouthful of the hot tea. "Of course," he told her.

She smiled and shook her head. "Good. Now be sure to rest as well."

"Of course," he said again with a firm nod, then coughed.

As Myri walked away to see to her other patients with minor illnesses she hoped everyone would be dutiful with their treatments. It would be even more difficult than they already expected it to be defending their homes against Kemale if they could all hardly function.

Are you interested in learning more about the world this book takes place in? Check out my world on World Anvil.

You can also support the writing by buying me a coffee if you're really loving the story and want to support me. Thank you!

1