Bonus Micro Story #2
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kylar had been born with the ability to see the auras around others. It was magic he was told had passed to him from his second father, Second King Coulta, which had caused him much confusion as a child. Seeing the black line of magic that traced from his left eye to his chin - branching once to outline his cheekbone to his nose - replicated in multitudes across Coulta's entire body had caused him to feel more drawn to him as a father. He hoped his true father, Grand King Wildas, hadn't been too offended by the mistake. Eventually, he understood, though not completely until he was much older and it was finally explained to him how children were conceived and how magic was passed to lovers.

He'd learned to recognize the auras through observation. Coulta had no such skill, and even the elder court sorcerer, Shelton, had known no one who could help Kylar learn. At his advice, Kylar had started keeping a journal of experiences and the colors associated with them, until he'd developed an understanding of the most common ones. Shades of pink were for love and affection, varying in precise shade depending on who he was interacting with. The brighter was usually among his closest family and small number of friends, especially Siring, the son of the Algoman court envoy. He was close to Kylar in age, born shortly after the envoy and his wife arrived in Phelin six months after the end of a war against Dyrai in which the King of Algoma had given assistance. Kylar had been told of the conflict in his studies of history and politics, and his mother often spoke of how he had, as an infant, given warning of an assassin during the battle. He had no memory of such an event, but he knew his magic had always contributed to how he reacted to and interacted with others. Auras of black meant violent or cruel intentions, and was one of the first he easily identified, though he saw it rarely. As an infant it would likely have frightened him, even if he'd had no understanding of his magic.

He'd eventually learned that orange denoted fear or anxiety, yellow meant wonder or curiousity, and shades of blue showed low feelings of sadness, loneliness, and emotional hurt. Green was physical pain. Anger pulsed across the underlying emotions with streaks of black - he'd seen his mothers argue once and saw the pink of love rent repeatedly by lashes of black. Many colors he still had yet to understand by the age of eighteen, but he believed he would master them all one day.

Gray was the color he disliked nearly as much as evil intention. It was the color of deceit. He did not like to see it surrounding the people he loved, and he was deeply concerned when it began to surround his truest friend, Siring. Its appearance had grown in frequency over several months, and it was deeply distressing.

"Ask him about it," Kyla, his twin sister commanded. She was to be the general of his Royal Guard when their uncle Rohan retired, and her magic gave her great skills with weapons. "You've been worrying over this for months. He won't tell you what he's hiding from you unless you ask."

Kylar sighed. "I'm also afraid I don't want to know what it is he's hiding. What if I lose him from my life? I don't want that."

He wanted quite the opposite, in fact.

"I know you love him," she told him, startling him. "Anyone can see you love him. You sickeningly adore him. Maybe he's hiding similar feelings from you."

Kylar looked away from her, toward the horses they had come to watch graze in the pasture below the castle. He'd always loved the warhorses.

"I'm to go to Algoma in a month for a visit to the court," he said.

"I know. I'm to go with you."

He nodded. "So is Siring. I suppose I have a month to determine what is happening. I won't be able to travel with him and not know."

"You'd rather know before you're forced to continue to travel with him after finding out along the way."

He nodded again. She had always understood him. "I'll ask him."

It took four days for him to summon the courage. Finally, as they sat one evening in Kylar's chamber discussing their upcoming travel to Algoma, the words spilled out of him.

"What are you keeping from me?"

Siring looked at him, fear edging into the gray of his aura. "What do you mean?"

"I can see your aura, Siring. You know this. We have known each other our entire lives. You were the only other child at the castle aside from my family who wasn't afraid of me for my strange eyes. Your aura used to be pink most often when we were together. For months it has been gray, the gray of deceit. You can trust me, Siring. If there's something you need help with, I can help you. If there's something you need to tell me, please do before we leave for Algoma."

Siring wouldn't look at him. He shook his head, his aura becoming a distressing shade of orange. "I can't."

"Siring, please," Kylar begged. They were seated on the sofa in his chambers and he gripped Siring's hand. "Don't be afraid to tell me."

Siring shook his head again. "I'm afraid to lose our friendship."

"You won't," Kylar assured him. "Please tell me what this is about. You're frightening me."

Siring breathed something that Kylar didn't hear. He moved closer, pressing their thighs together, and squeezing Siring's hand. "Please."

"I love you," Siring whispered in a rush. "I want you. I desire you. I need you so badly it hurts. I want to kiss you and touch you and be your lover and stand by you at all times. But I know you - "

Kylar stopped him with a kiss, ducking his head and pressing his lips firmly to Siring's. He released Siring's hand to cup Siring's face, causing him to lift his head. Siring made a sound somewhere between a whimper and a moan, and Kylar felt his arms wrap around him, gripping him tightly. Then they were really and truly kissing, fueled by passion and repressed emotions finally allowed to run free.

When Kylar finally pulled away, panting, and opened his eyes, he saw the gray was gone from Siring's aura, replaced by a pink he'd only seen surrounding couples who had been together for many years. In the pink flashed the red of passionate desire.

Kylar sighed and pressed his forehead to Siring's. "That's a far better color," he murmured.

Siring smiled. "Is it? What does my love for you look like?"

Kylar kissed him softly. "The most beautiful mix of pink and red I believe I've ever seen."

As they kissed again the pink gave way more and more to red, until Kylar could almost feel it against his skin. They both burned with it.

"Come to bed with me," Kylar practically begged.

"I don't believe I could make it home in my current condition," Siring replied, breathing heavily.

"Your family won't be concerned?" Kylar asked, allowing the outside world to step in for a moment.

Siring shook his head. "My father will assume we talked until it was late or had some drinks together and I slept on this sofa like I have before. I have no intention to hide the truth, but nor do I intend to declare anything to all Ryal at the moment."

Kylar hoped he would not object to being a deeply public figure in the future, but regardless of what might happen, he knew he wished to have Siring as his lover that night. "Come then," he murmured, standing and reaching out a hand.

Siring smiled as he stood and allowed Kylar to escort him to bed where, deep in the cushions and sheets he learned that complete and utter pleasure had an aura of such a hot white that Kylar could feel it dancing across his own skin.

Siring told his family the following day, before the rumors began, that he and Kylar were lovers. From what he told Kylar, Lord Theodas was quite happy with the match, though he thought it best to approach the subject with the court in Algoma if things were expected to progress. Kylar thought perhaps he was correct. After all, Siring had been expected to carry on his father's political position.

And Kylar could think of no reason why the relationship could not progress. His father was also pleased with the arrangement, admitting a relief that his son had found love. Grand King Wildas did not even remind him of the need for wives during the conversation, though Kylar could not forget such a thing.

The court did not seem to object, either. There was some muttering that perhaps it would be more beneficial had Siring been a prince, not merely the son of an Algoman minor noble, but those were ignored. Eventually, all the castle knew as the rumors spread and they, though reserved in public, still took no pains to hide their relationship.

It was only two days before they were to leave for Algoma when, while nestled against Kylar in bed Siring asked, "What does this all mean to you?"

He had an edge of fear to his aura, and Kylar tried to soothe it away. "Being lovers?"

Siring nodded, avoiding his gaze.

"It's seems only natural to me that we would marry," Kylar answered, trying not to doubt what Siring felt. "If you are agreeable to it."

Siring's fear vanished immediately. "I am."

"You won't object to having wives?"

"Not so long as I can get along with them."

Kyla smiled. "We will choose our wives together then, but I don't want to consider it until we return. I want as much time with you alone as possible."

Siring leaned up to kiss him. "I am agreeable to that as well."

By the time they were to depart for Algoma, Kylar was excited for several days and nights with Siring by his side for his first trip to visit the allied court. Until he realized that Siring was not to ride beside him.

"Where is Siring?" he asked Kyla.

"Where Rohan put him with the other minor nobles," she answered.

Kylar turned his horse away from the gate of the castle yard and trotted back to find Siring, where he was fiddling with his riding gloves and had an orange-tinted aura of discomfort.

"Come ride with me," Kylar said to him.

Siring was clearly surprised by this, as were the others around them. Siring must not have considered it the correct time to publicly display their decision to marry. Perhaps the court might consider it too soon, but he did not.

"That will be seen as a declaration of intent to marry," Kyla reminded them.

Kylar nodded, meeting Siring's gaze. "I know."

Siring smiled, his aura once more bright pink. He nudged his horse through the milling others until he was beside Kylar. "I suppose now is the best time to announce it, after all."

Kylar grinned. "Come on, then." As they rode toward the front of the column he added, "Thank you."

Siring smiled even brighter. "I love you," he said in reply.

Kyla made a gagging sound on Kylar's other side. He'd forgotten she was still there. He rolled his eyes at her.

As they rode through the gate they saluted the Grand King, who was very clearly happy when he met Kylar's gaze. Kylar smiled to him, even more grateful for what he now had.

Are you interested in learning more about the world this book takes place in? Check out my world on World Anvil.

You can also support the writing by buying me a coffee if you're really loving the story and want to support me. Thank you!

0