Ch.1: A Warm Welcome
200 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

            “Alright, first step arrive on Jubert Island accomplished,” Glyn says to himself as his ship goes ashore.

He leaps off of the boat and drags it further inland. Pulling it along, he takes in his surroundings as he pulls out his book. A large fireball launches out towards him and he holds out his book as it makes contact and the fireball fades away.

            “Well, that was welcoming.” He says, looking at his hands. “And it’s a good thing that worked or I’d be dead. If you want to kill me, you have to try harder than that.”

            “What? What happened?” A voice comes from behind a large rock.

Glyn smirks and sneaks towards the rock. As he does, a girl with light red hair peeks from behind the stone and sees nothing. Confused, Glyn leaps up and startles her, causing her to fall back. Surprised, she pulls out her sword and points it out toward Glyn.

            “Hello there. My name’s Glyn, who’re you?” He asks.

The girl takes a breath the calm herself and stands pointing her sword out towards Glyn. “I refuse to give my name to an outsider!” She yells.

Glyn sighs and opens his book. “Jubert Island natives are opposed to outsiders. I should make a note of that.” He says, writing in the book.

            “Leave! We want no part of this game. We could not care less who rules over the mainland!” She yells.

            “I can understand that. It’s not your problem and you don’t want to get involved.”

She nods. “Exactly so leave!”

            “Unfortunately, it’s now disconnected these islands are that make them the perfect staging ground. In theory, all twelve of us are on even footing regarding these islands. Of course, like always, those with more money and resources always pull ahead of the others.”

            “Really?”

            “Yeah, being stuck with this place is kind of handicap. I’ll have to work extra hard to catch up to the others.”

She shakes her head. “No, who won’t? You’ll be leaving this island!”

She rushes ahead, swinging her sword at Glyn. He leans back, dodging her attack as he stares at her. As she swings her blade, Glyn barely dodges the attacks, noting her speed.

            “She’s not the best swordsman, but she’s pretty fast, even for a beast kin.” He thinks as he pushes out his leg.

He trips her up, and she stumbles as he thrusts forward and knocks the sword out of her hand and pulls her in close. “Just because I’m some noble, don’t underestimate my skills in self-defense!”

Staring into each other’s eyes, the girl’s face goes red as Glyn stares at her.

            “You know you're pretty cute when you’re not waving a sword around at me.” He says with a smile.

            “Get away from her you bastard!” Someone screams out rushing towards him.

A large figure slams into Glyn, knocking the girl out of his hands and forcing him to the ground. A group of people in similar armor to the girl run in and pin Glyn to the ground.

            “We have him, captain!” One of them screams out.

            “Good job. Get a rope and tie that Elvan bastard up.” A large man with wolf ears and a long bushy tail says glaring down at Glyn. “And Mila!”

            “Yes!” The girl yells out.

            “Come with me.”

Her ears and tail lower as she sighs. “Yes, sir.”

Glyn stares at the two as they leave. “So, the boss isn’t looking. Feel like letting me go?”

            “No!” A young woman says as she pulls out a rope. “Now stay still so we don’t hurt you.”

 

The girl, Mila, and the large man move away from the group and walk further along the beach. She keeps her head lowered as he walks ahead, taking occasional glances at her. As she sighs, she stumbles forward over a rock, with the man reaching back and grabbing her.

            “Watch where you’re going. I’ve been telling you that for years.”

            “I’m sorry Miller.”

            “I told you to call me Captain while we’re on duty.” He says, helping her to her feet.

She nods. “Yes, Captain.”

            “Now tell me what happened?”

            “I…. I messed up. I tried to attack him, but he got the better of me.”

            “So, is he skilled?”

            “Somewhat. And he could neutralize my magic with that book of his.”

Miller nods. “Must be some artifact. We’ll have to take that from him. It could be useful.”

            “I don’t think he’s a bad person. Maybe we can work together or do something. If we ask him, he could help us with what’s going on with the island.”

            “We don’t need the help from an outsider. Especially one who’s just here to use us as tools so he can take some far-off throne.”

Mila nods. “Your right.”

            “But to come here with no backup at all. What kind of madness is he under?”

            “Hey, Captain!”

            “What is it?”

            “You better get over here.”

Miller shakes his head and turns to Mila. “Stay by my side and don’t talk to him. Understood?”

            “Yes, Captain!”

            “Good.”

 

The pair return to the shore where the remains of Glyn’s ship sit burned to a crisp. Miller’s eyes go wide as he turns to Glyn sitting on a rock wrapped up in ropes. Glyn whistles as he leans back against a tree, watching the situation.

            “What did you do?”

            “Nothing. As your compatriots can attest, they tied me up the entire time. There was no way I could’ve set the fire.”

            “You used magic. All elves are magic users.”

            “How could I use magic while tied up? Even if I could use magic in this state, why would I not free myself first?” Glyn says.

Miller reaches down and lifts Glyn with one hand. “Listen here you.”

            “Look, I know you're mad. Even so, I’m the victim here. I had all my stuff on that ship. And now I don’t have a way to get back, even if you wanted to get rid of me.”

Miller raises his fist and punches Glyn, forcing him to the ground. “There is more than one way to get rid of our problem.” He unsheathes the sword at his side and raises it.

As he brings the sword down, the clang of metal echoes across the beach. Mila stands, holding her sword and blocking Miller’s blow.

            “Mila!”

            “Miller! Captain stop!” She yells out.

            “Mila, if you don’t listen to me….”

            “You should listen to her, Captain Gill.” A tall man in light armor walks through the area, taking in the situation. “She might’ve just saved your life.”

            “Commander!” Miller yells, sheathing his sword and bowing. “What’re you doing here? You assigned this task to my unit.”

            “Yes. Your rookie unit. I had thought that getting rid of some noble brat would be a simple task, but it looks like I was mistaken.” He says turning his eyes towards Glyn helping him up. “So, who’re you?”

            “Glyn Mattox. Just your average lordling bastard.” He says.

            “A bastard, you say? That’s rare for an elf. Even if you are a half-elf.”

Glyn stares at the man. “Oh. You can tell?”

            “Not at a glance. But close up I can see the blue in your green eyes. That only happens with half-elves, am I right?”

Glyn smirks. “That’s right. I am a half-elf. Not that it matters right now.”

            “Of course. But it explains some things, at least for me.”

            “Oh?”

            “Mila!” He yells out.

            “Yes, Commander!” She yells out.

            “You burned the boat, didn’t you?”

Mila drops her sword and steps back, stumbling over her feet. “No, I didn’t I….”

            “I can tell what happened. You launched one of those fireballs and while it didn’t hit the target, some embers managed to hit the ship. The dock of your boat is oddly dry. You were planning to burn your boat, weren’t you?”

 Glyn nods. “Yeah. I was planning a last resort just in case you all kicked off the island. I wasn’t expecting it to light up as it did.”

            “I see what happened here. The lordling was setting up his boat to burn and then she launched a fireball and the embers from that attack hit the boat and grew, while no one paid attention until it devoured the boat.” He explains. “Did I get it?”

            “That’d be my best guess,” Glyn says

            “Miller, untie the boy. He can’t go anywhere now.”

Miller stands up straight and moves to undo Glyn’s ropes. “Thank you,” Glyn says.

            “Shut your mouth,” Miller says, clenching his teeth.

            “What’re you going to do with me?”

            “For now, we’ll leave you on your own. If we ignore him, then we won’t have any trouble. Meanwhile, we’ll have a shipwright build a small ship for you to leave. As long as we get it done before the month is out, it should all be fine.”

The ropes fall to the ground and Glyn rubs his wrists. “You know about that too?”

            “Of course, they kept us well informed about your little game. And that if we should bring harm to you, we’d face the wrath of the kingdom’s knights.”

            “I see. They covered that fact, too.” Glyn steps forward. “Listen, I don’t mean to do you all any harm. All I want to do is take a certain individual out of the game. After that, I’ll leave willingly.”

            “Sorry, but we can’t afford to get wrapped up at all. Our island is currently having a crisis of its own we’re trying to handle. We don’t have the time to deal with the issues of people from so far away.”

            “Alright, fine then.” Glyn sighs.

            “Mila!” The commander yells out.

            “Yes!” She yells, standing at attention.

            “I command you to deal with this situation. You’ll be the one in charge of this assignment.”

            “Huh?”

            “Your task is to watch over the lordling. If any harm should come to him, you’ll be the one to face the consequences.”

Mila drops her sword. “Sir. You don’t mean…”

            “The ship’s burning is your fault, is it not?”

            “Somewhat?”

            “Do you intend to run away from your responsibility?”

She lowers her head. The others around them snicker as they stare at Mila.

            “It’s perfect for one outsider to watch another.”

            “It was a dumb decision for the captain to rely on her.”

            “Well, it’s her fault for not driving him away in the first place.

They each whisper as Mila steps forward. “I’ll take on the task, Sir!”

He nods. “Do not let us down.”

            “If we’re lucky, maybe they’ll both die out here?”

            “Or maybe he’ll take her away with him? Her looks are the only good thing about her, after all.”

Miller grips his sword as Mila shakes her head. “I’ll try my best, Sir!”

            “Good. Now everyone is dismissed!” The commander yells out.

Everyone laughs as they leave the beach, leaving Mila and Glyn alone. With the sun setting in the distance, Mila sits on a rock. She lowers her head to her knees, with Glyn cautiously staring at her. She quietly sobs as Glyn stares at her cautiously.

            “Hello? Ms. Guardsman? Are you just going to sit here and sulk? It’s getting dark, and I’d rather go somewhere more comfortable.” Glyn says with a smile across his face.

Mila sits unresponsive.

            “Hello?” Glyn’s smile drops and he turns away from Mila. “Listen here. I think I understand what’s going on here. But don’t let it get you down.”

            “What would you know?” She asks. “You’re a noble. Life is calm for your types.”

            “I may be noble. But I’m still a half-elf. There is no love for my kind anywhere on the mainland. So, trust me, I understand.”

Mila stares at him.

            “Listen. What’s your name?” He asks.

            “My name? You’ve already heard it.”

            “True. But I haven’t introduced myself to you and you haven’t introduced yourself to me.” He reaches his hand out towards her. “So why don’t we introduce ourselves?”

Mila wipes the tears from her eyes. “I’m Mila.”

            “Well, I’m Glyn.” Glyn gives her a wide smile. “Let’s try to get along as long as we’re stuck together.”

            “Yes, let's.” She says.

4