Ch.4: Island Ways pt.2
87 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

            “I’ve been cursed since the day I was born,” Glyn says, looking up at the two. “It’s not a big deal.”

            “I see. One of your ancestors must’ve pissed off a demon.” The old man says.

Glyn nods. “Yup. My great grandfather. Ever since then, it’s been affecting my family.”

            “At least you’re still alive. Most curses tend to kill the person they're affecting.”

            “Don’t I know it? I’ve been researching magic and curses since I was a kid.”

            “Ah, a smart one.”

Miller stares at the two and shakes his head. “What does this curse do to you?”

            “Oh, that’s a good question, Milly.”

            “Gramps.”

Glyn sits up. “Fine, I’ll slate your curiosity. Because of the curse, I cannot use magic. Or more specifically, I can’t use magic effectively….”

            “The food’s ready,” Mila says, opening the door. “Oh, good. Everyone’s already here.” She reaches down and grabs onto Glyn. “Come one I promise you’ll love Grandma’s food. She makes delicious meat buns.”

            “Oh, I heard about those. That’s an eastern dish right, I’ve never had it.”

            “Wait. You’re an Elf who can’t use magic!?” Miller yells out.

            “Well, Half-Elf. But that’s not inaccurate.”

Miller shakes his head. “How do you expect to win anything? The Elves' greatest strength is their magical abilities. And you lack the very fundamental abilities of your species! How is someone like that supposed to win the right to be king!?”

            “Brother!” Mila yells out.

            “No. He’s right. Someone like me isn’t able to be king. As long as I’m not going to end up dead last, then that’s all that matters.” Glyn nods. “Besides, I’m out to beat only one person. So, I don’t plan to become the king, anyway.”

            “Glyn.” Mila holds Glyn’s hand. “Don’t say such things!”

            “Huh?”

            “Even if you can’t use magic. Even if you’re weak, there are things only you can do!”

Glyn nods. “Exactly. No one in this world is useless. I promise you that. And even if I can’t become king, then I at least have a way to win a fight.”

            “Oh, really?”

            “What’s all of you doing!?” A loud voice screams from inside the house. “Get in and eat before the food gets cold!”

Everyone stands up straight as they sweat nervously.

            “We better hurry. She hates it when we let the food get cold!” The old man says.

Miller nods as his body shakes. Mila follows suit, tugging on Glyn. As Glyn watches the three, he smiles somewhat.

            “It feels pretty warm here. I kind of like this.” Glyn thinks to himself as he’s dragged inside.

 

After the meal, Glyn and Mila exit the house and walk down the road. She watches Glyn as he savors the taste of the food lingering in his mouth.

            “It was quite delicious. Your grandmother is an excellent cook.”

Mila smiles. “See, Grandma is amazing. Her cooking is so good. I’ve been trying to mimic her skill, but I haven’t gotten it down yet.”

            “Oh, you can cook?”

            “You can’t?”

            “No. Any time I tried to enter the kitchen; I was kicked out soon after. It was kind of annoying, but I wanted to do something for myself.” Glyn says.

            “Maybe they just wanted to watch out for you.”

Glyn peaks into his book. “It’s still annoying. Anyway, let’s head into town.”

            “Huh? What about getting a look around the island?”

            “That can come later. I have a feeling something strange is about to happen in the village. And I feel like I should be there to see it.”

            “What’s happening?”

            “It’s only a feeling it’s not like I can tell the future or anything?”

Mila nods. “Okay. But I don’t like going to the village.”

            “Right. From what I picked up; they bullied you as a kid for being an outsider. If you don’t want to come, then you can stay behind and I’ll go by myself.”

            “No! It’s my job to watch you so I’ll watch over you until we can force you to go home!” Mila yells out.

Glyn smirks. “Fine. Let’s just set some boundaries. It’s awkward to have a pretty girl watching me twenty-four seven. You might see some things you can’t unsee.”

            “Stop trying to scare me!” Mila yells out as Glyn laughs. “Come on, let’s go already!”

 

The village of Jubert Island sits in the middle of several large hills that act as natural barriers. The village has sat for as long as people have walked across the island. The same family has occupied the same homes for generations. Because of the insular nature of the island, the residents are quite hostile towards outsiders from the island.

The village mostly comprises Beastkin and Humans working as either farmers or hunters. Hunters also serve a secondary role of working as members of the City Guard, slaying dangerous monsters in the area. The island’s ecosystem is quite delicate, which is part of the reason outsiders are looked down upon as unwanted mouths to feed.

It’s the job of the village chief to maintain this balance. Therefore, one family has led the village for as long as anyone can remember. It’s this man now with no remaining heir since losing his son and nephew, who now wanders through the town.

            “Hello, chief.” A young woman says.

He walks forward, using his staff to keep himself going as he moves. He stands hunched over with long silver hair with wolf ears sitting atop his head. His ears droop down, helping to show his age as he moves through the town.

            “Chief.” A young man in light armor walks up to him. “The commander is waiting for you, sir.”

The chief nods and walks forward. “Let’s see what he has to say today? I wonder if he’s come up with a solution for our outsider problem.”

As he walks along, a howl comes from the hills. “What’s that?”

            “It appears my meeting will have to wait. Call for the commander to come here and gather as many able-bodied people as you can.” The chief holds out his staff. “We have a stampede on its way.”

 

Coming from the opposite way, Glyn and Mila take in the sights as Mila tells him about the village and the island. Glyn takes in the farmland they pass and takes notes for it in his book. Mila stares at him curiously, but he closes the book before she can get a peek.

            “What are you always writing about that thing?” Mila asks.

            “Notes and plans. Not that it does any good. So far, I can’t come up with anything that’ll make you all not kick me off of the island.” He turns to Mila. “Do you maybe…”

Mila turns her head away. “No, I can’t think of anything. Everything around here is nice and peaceful, after all.”

            “Oh really?” Glyn sighs. “Well, it’s not like I want there to be conflict and chaos. I’d rather things be nice and easy. That’s my way of life, in all honesty.”

Mila nods. “I know. Things being quiet are for the best.”

            “Oh? Are you speaking from experience?”

Mila stops as her tails twitch. “Yes. There is one bad thing that can happen here. But….”

            “What is it?”

As the pair stand on the road, a loud howl echoes through the hills and everything goes quiet. Mila takes in a breath as she wraps her arms around herself. “No!”

            “What’s wrong?”

            “Why is this happening now?” Mila asks as Glyn grabs her.

Glyn looks into her eyes. “Focus on me. What is going on?”

            “A Stampede. The monsters their coming. They're coming to get me again!”

            “Stampede? Wait, they're coming to get you?” Glyn pulls on Mila and heads towards the village. “Come on!”

            “What?”

            “You're part of the city guard, right? Don’t you have to guard the city?”

            “Right. I’m part of the city guard. I’m not…. I’m not weak like I was before.”

Glyn nods as he pulls her along. “Let’s go Ms. Guardsman. We have to defend your home, don’t we!?”

2