Ch.13: The Trail
39 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Glyn walks into the room, leaving the door open as he sits down in a chair in front of the five. Mila rushes to his side, standing beside him as the pair stares ahead at the Elder. The Elder smirks as he adjusts his staff, with Glyn nodding as the other four watch the boy.

            “So, how should we begin?” The long-haired man asks.

            “We should start with the boy. He’ll be easy to deal with.” The old woman says.

The large man nods. “But underestimating him is how we let the situation get this bad.”

            “Why not lock him up in a cage next time? That way, it’ll be harder for him to escape.” The sharp-eyed woman says.

            “I see. You’re all underestimating me. That’s just what I wanted.” Glyn says as he holds onto his book. “So, let me ask you all a question? Do any of you know where the Lesser Demon came from?”

They all pause. “It was a mutation of some sort.”

            “Something like that is unlikely to happen again.”

            “And if it happened again. What if I guarantee that you’ll have another Lesser Demon show up in a few months? Hell, what if two emerged at the same time?” Glyn asks.

            “What do you mean?” The large man asks.

            “Miller, I assume you have a report.” Glyn looks back as Miller steps forward.

Miller stands at attention. “Um… I think I may know what he’s referring to. When we examined the remains of the Lesser Demon, we couldn’t find any trace of the Demonic Element in its body.”

            “What!?” The four yell out.

            “That means one of two things. Either it was on the verge of becoming a full Demon. Or…”

            “It was nothing more than an offshoot of some other Lesser Demon.” The large man says slamming his fist on the table.

The Elder nods. “If you can say such things, that means you’ve found the nest?”

            “Nest!?” The four ask in unison.

            “That’s right. I’ve been on a mission to figure out the local monster problem. And that involved finding the nest of where your recent monster problem and Lesser Demon were coming from.” Glyn pulls out a map of the island. “And I’ve found its layer. A dungeon.”

            “A what!?” The sharp-eyed woman yells.

            “A dungeon. To think one would show up here.”

            “Of course. Have you been around this place? A haunted manor, a cursed forest, and who knows what else. The negative energy around here is perfect kindling for a dungeon to appear.”

            “Um, what causes a dungeon to show up?” Mila asks.

Glyn smiles and pats Mila on the back. “Good question. Let’s refresh everyone’s memories.”

            “We already know. No one knows why or where dungeons come from. All we have are theories, even we know that.” The older woman says.

            “Right. But current theories suggest a high influx of mana combined with negative energy helps create perfect environments for dungeons to appear. And all things, considering you guys are swimming in the stuff.”

            “We leave those alone as monuments to our cursed past.” The old woman says. “I consider just purifying the manor sacrilege.”

            “And it’s that sacrilege that’ll make sure the island will never see a Lesser Demon again.” Glyn slams his book on the table. “Leave it to me and I’ll make sure of it!”

            “What do you mean?” The long-haired man asks.

            “It’s simple in a week. I’ll clear out these cursed places and save all of you. I only ask for two things.”

            “What are these things?” The sharp-eyed woman asks.

            “One, I want you all to consider the manor my territory. No one can interfere with what goes on behind the walls. Oh, but I won’t do anything that’ll break any major laws. And second, I want exclusive rights to the dungeon on this island. Anything that comes out of it will be my property.”

            “Is that all you want?” The large man asks. “Why not ask to remain on the island? We can kick you off and then you wouldn’t have a chance to play your game.”

            “Oh, did the Elder not tell you? I’m not getting kicked off. In exchange for finding where the monsters were coming from, I’m untouchable.”

Everyone pauses and waits for the Elder. “He is correct. We arranged it before the Lesser Demon was discovered. Which he also discovered before it became too late.”

            “Exactly. So, do you plan to remove me after we’ve already made a deal? I’ve sworn to solve another escalating problem. So do you turn this gift horse away or do you hold out for a better deal while Lesser Demons could come spilling out at any moment?” Glyn smiles a wide smile as he stares at the four of them. “The choice and fate of the island are in your hands.”

            “Bastard!” The sharp-eyed woman says.

            “Do nothing for free. That’s a rule in my house. Although that house is only composed of me. I’ll help you, but I plan to be paid first.”

            “We could clear the areas ourselves. We’ll send the defense force.”

            “Unfortunately, that’s not possible,” Miller interjects. “Our stronger forces are injured from the Lesser Demon. And we don’t possess the magical expertise to cleanse the cursed areas of their negativity.”

            “The Elder can do it!” The old woman yells turning to him. “He’s the best mage on the island.”

The Elder nods. “Yes, I could. But what should happen if I die during the attempts? That’s why I didn’t appear to fight the Lesser Demon. The succession concern would be an immediate issue.”

The four pause and stare at Glyn as he continues to smile, barely containing his laughter at the situation. “Why don’t we vote on it? Then the ones who doom the island can take responsibility in front of everyone!”

Glyn points to the crowds formed outside of the doors, watching the case. Each of them stops considering the situation.

            “I vote for the boy to stay.” The Elder says raising his hand. “Of course, I lost our bet, so I’m obliged.”

            “So, what’ll the rest of you do?” Glyn asks.

            “He stays!” The large man yells. “The kid’s ballsy. I kind of like that.”

            “I’m against the plan. I say he leaves.” The old woman says. “We cannot remove the cursed grounds less we ruin our relations with the other islands on the archipelago.”

The long-haired man nods. “Yes, our long penance. We must atone for the crimes of our ancestors. So, I’m against the plan and him staying.”

            “Well, I’m for it.” The sharp-eyed woman says. “I want to see just how far this bastard can go before he’s crushed by reality. Being clever can only get one so far.”

            “And with that Glyn Mattox, you may remain on the island. And we have accepted the conditions of your deal so long as you hold up your end of the bargain.” The Elder says.

Glyn nods. “Of course.”

            “Now onto the business of the girl.” The sharp-eyed woman says.

Glyn snaps his fingers. “That’s already settled.” He pulls Mila close to him. “This woman is my ally in the game. My Queen. I can’t afford to have you take her away from me.”

Mila blushes as Miller resists the urge to pull his sword. “Right, I’m working with Glyn!”

            “That’s preposterous!” The old woman yells.

            “It is on the terms. As long as she lives in the manor.”

            “Of course.” Glyn stands. “My manor is the home of me and my forces. Besides, I’m the only one who’s keeping her powers under control. Without me, well, she’d explode and maybe take the entire island with her.”

Everyone pauses. “Well then. I guess we don’t have much of a choice then.” The long-haired man says.

            “Exactly!” Glyn yells out.

 

As the sun sets in the distance and the three leave the building, Glyn stretches, with Mila staring at him. Miller looks at Mila as she blushes, watching Glyn. Miller sighs and shakes his head as he stares at Mila.

            “Are you sure about this?”

Mila touches her chest. “I mean, I’d explode without Glyn’s help, so I need to stay with him.”

            “I mean everything. If you go down this road, there will be no turning back. At this rate, you won’t be able to live a normal life on the island.”

Mila pauses for a moment. “You know Brother. I hate this Island.” Mila says with a smile on her face.

            “What?”

            “Everyone is so uptight and mean. They keep calling me a monster and either want to kill me or lock me away. I didn’t realize it until now, but I hate this place.”

            “Mila?”

            “Oh, but you, Grandma, and Grandpa, I love you three. But everyone else I couldn't care less about.”

Miller stands paused. “Okay. I… I don’t know what to say about this.”

            “I’m going to help Glyn not just because I have to, so I can stay alive, but….” Mila blushes and her face goes red. “But also, because I enjoy being around him. He’s a pretty fun person to play around with.”

            “Hey are you two coming or am I going to go home by myself?” Glyn asks.

            “We’re coming!” Mila yells.

Miller smiles. “Huh? This is the first time she’s ever said something like that.” He walks forward. “But still…. I might have to do something to watch over her as her brother.”

1