Ch.27: The Core pt.2
23 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Glyn stands in front of the monster, as its burns and wounds slowly heal, with Tisha and Zanrit standing at his side. Mila stares at him before running to his side. She wraps her arms around him and cries, letting out a stream of tears. Glyn sighs, patting her head and calming her down as everyone stares at the two.

            “I was so worried!” Mila yells out.

            “Sorry to worry you. But I knew you would be safe with Miller and the others.” He says.

Miller walks ahead and punches Glyn in the head. “You dumbass. You're supposed to be the king here don’t go risking your life needlessly.”

Glyn rubs the back of his head. “Sorry. But what kind of king would I be if I didn’t risk my life to protect my subordinates?”

            “Hey, lordling, where the Elf chick and the big green guy come from?” Faye asks.

            “His name is Zanrit. He’s an Orc. I found him rampaging around this place.” Glyn says.

Zanrit nods. “It appears I have caused all of you quite the headache.”

            “You speak well for an Orc,” Fiona says.

            “I believe that is a stereotype, Fiona,” Ivar says.

            “Is it?”

            “Pay it no mind. I have a duty to fulfill and I will crush the foe before me and bring an end to this chaos!” Zanrit yells out.

Fiona smirks. “That’s my style! Let’s do this, big guy.”

Ivar shakes his head. “Oh, dear.”

            “Hey, Elf chick, are you on our side this time?” Faye asks raising her claws.

Tisha scoffs. “I’m just stuck in here like the rest of you.”

            “She got herself stuck when she came in by herself last night like an idiot,” Glyn says.

Tisha aims an arrow at Glyn’s head. “I can kill you right here and now, Half-Elf.”

            “Calm down, it’s just a joke.”

Miller laughs. “Seriously, my sense of danger just disappeared.”

            “Isn’t that good? It’s best not to panic.” Glyn says.

            “Mila, stop clinging to him. We’ve got work to do.”

Mila blushes brightly as she leaps off of Glyn and stands next to him. “I’m sorry. I didn’t….”

            “It’s fine. I know I put you through a lot. I’ll let you cry on my shoulder again as many times as you need to.”

Mila blushes. “I’ll remember that.”

            “Come on, stop flirting. Let’s do some damage.”

            “We will. But first, Tisha, can you give us a minor heal?”

Tisha sighs as she shoots out an arrow. “This is my only healing arrow, so don’t waste it.” It lands on the ground as a wave of energy hits the group, healing their bruises and scratches. “Everyone good? Because I think we’re out of time with this big ugly thing.”

The monster’s wounds disappear as it lets out a loud cry that shakes the room as everyone stares up at it. It stomps forward, focusing on Glyn as Mila rushes in front of him. It steps back, wary of her as it shoots its seeds across the room.

            “Zanrit bat those things away!” Glyn yells out.

Zanrit yells out and swings his club, smashing into the seeds and sending them flying back into the monster’s face. The seeds explode as Faye and Fiona charge ahead and slash into the monster, cutting off a chunk of its chest.

            “I got this!” Tisha yells out, firing a volley of arrows.

Before the monster can recover, the arrows fly into its exposed chest, exploding as they make contact, knocking it back. It lets out a loud cry that echoes through the room as the room seems to glow a bright red. The creature’s body mutates, growing larger and thinner as its multiple arms grow longer as many more arms grow. It roars as it stomps forward towards the group.

            “Good, now all the setup is done. We’ll only have one shot at this before it heals itself again.” Glyn says as he stares at the monster’s open wound. “Mila, use the ring I gave you before.”

Mila holds out her hand and slips the ring on her finger. “Like this?”

            “Now clench your fist.”

She closes her hand and the gem on the ring breaks as a rush of energy flows through her body. She turns towards the monster as flames come off of her body and Glyn stands at her side with a smile on his face.

            “Okay, everyone, hold the blasted thing down so we can kill the bloody thing!” Glyn yells out.

Miller rushes forward, unsheathing his sword and slashing his hand across the blade. The sword absorbs the blood and grows sharper and jagged as he leaps into the air. He stabs the blade down into the ground as a series of metal spikes erupt from the ground around the monster.

            “Haven’t seen you use that in a while,” Ivar says, charging past him.

            “Well, it takes a lot out of me.”

            “Then I better make this count,” Ivar says as he draws water from the inside of his body.

He leaps over the spikes covering his fist in the water and unleashes a series of blows, knocking the monster off balance. Faye leaps ahead of Ivar with her claws and strikes the creature with full force, knocking it back as the monster crashes into the back wall.

            “Hey, Zanrit. I have an idea. Wanna help me out?” Fiona asks.

Zanrit nods. “I’ll follow your lead.”

Fiona rushes in with Zanrit following behind her as the pair pulls out their weapons. They swing at the creatures’ legs, smashing into them and looping them off with the force of their blows. The monster screams out as its already twisted face twists in agony. It stares down, focusing in on Glyn and Mila as it gathers energy in front of its face, readying an attack.

            “Oh no, you don’t,” Tisha says.

She fires off an arrow of light that pierces through the gathered energy and strikes the beast’s face, driving a large hole through it. It screams once more, losing focus as it thrashes about with its multitude of hands.

            “Okay Mila, focus your attack. Aim at the hole in its chest and run through its heart with one big fiery attack.” Glyn rushes behind her as his King piece floats out of his chest. “I’ll do what I can to power you up so we can end this.”

Mila nods and gathers the raging flames around her body. “Right. I’ll kill it in a single strike!”

The raging flames around her tails calms as she breathes, the fires focusing on her sword as she holds it out. Energy flows from Glyn’s King piece into Mila as she breathes, her flames growing stronger. The symbol of the Queen appears on her hand as she leaps forward at a high-speed, raising her sword and aiming for the creature’s open wound.

            “Please die for us.” She whispers as she lands behind the monster in front of the stone.

The beast erupts into flames, burning and screaming as it falls into two pieces. The creature stops moving, dying as it's consumed by the flames with everyone staring at the remains. As the flames die down, the charred corpse remains sitting still as everyone stares at it, waiting to see if it’ll move. But after a few moments, the creature remains still dead.

            “We did it!” Faye yells out excitedly.

            “You're powerful,” Fiona says to Zanrit. “I would love to spar with you.”

            “I’d like that as well,” Zanrit says.

Miller forces himself up as Ivar helps him to his feet. “You need something to drink, captain.”

Miller smirks, looking at Ivar as he struggles to breathe. “I’m not the only one who needs a drink.”

            “I have the Core,” Mila says, walking back to the group holding the large red stone. “What do I do with it?”

Glyn rushes to her, staring at it. “Huh. It’s a little underdeveloped. But I guess I’m comparing it to the great labyrinth’s Core.”

            “Wait, you’ve been to the great labyrinth?” Tisha says.

            “Once for a school trip.” He takes the Core from Mila and runs his finger across the surface of the stone. “Alright, this will work. Give me a few minutes and I’ll have us out of here.”

            “Yeah, but what about the treasure?” Tisha says.

Glyn points to the monster’s corpse. “Give it a moment. It should come out of that thing after a moment.”

            “Fine whatever.” She says.

            “With this, I guess we’re done working together. Hopefully, that treasure will be enough for them to let you back home.”

Tisha smirks. “Hopefully. But you know we’ll never see each other after I go back, right?”

            “I know. I know you wouldn’t want to hang around a filthy Half-Elf would you?”

Tisha smirks. “Your right. But as far as Half-Elves go, I’d consider you one of the better ones.”

            “Well, I thank you for your praise.”

Mila stares at him, confused. “Um, Glyn, are you okay?”

            “I’m fine. It was a big hassle, but we solved the Dungeon issue and now we solved the monster issue too.”

            “Monster issue?”

            “Oh right. I have a lot to explain to you guys.” Glyn says.

1