Ch.30: A Knight and A Rook
29 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

            “So you didn’t leave?” Glyn asks, with Tisha standing in front of him in the courtyard.

She pants, catching her breath as she holds out the staff. “Take it back!”

            “What?”

            “I said take it back.”

            “Why? It’s your ticket home, isn’t it?”

            “It is but…. It’s too big.”

            “What?”

            “If I take this and everything else, I’ll owe you too great a debt to repay. So, I’ll come up with a compromise. Make me one of your subordinates. You don’t have to count on me as a fighter, but I’ll follow your orders and do as you say, so long as you’ll allow me to stay.”

Glyn scratches the side of his head and sighs. “Listen here. It’s not like I don’t get it. But are you sure about this? This isn’t a ride you can get off when you please. If you join up, you're in for the long haul.”

Tisha takes in a breath and bows to Glyn. “I know you don’t seek the throne. But you have a desire to remove someone who will bring the kingdom to ruin?”

            “I wouldn’t say that. I know the guy is a jerk and his family are jerks. He might make an excellent kingking, but he’s a complete ass.”

            “Then that’s enough. If I can remove an ill candidate, then I feel I will have done my part and repaid my debt to you.” Tisha reaches her hand to Glyn. “So please take me along with you on this journey!”

Glyn smirks as he shakes her hand. “Fine then. Elven Warrior Tisha Miaro, I accept your offer.”

            “I’m happy to be working with you Half-Elf Candidate Glyn Mattox.”

Glyn holds out his hand as a Rook Piece comes to him. He hands it to Tisha, who takes the piece as it glows brightly and the light envelops her.

 

On the next day, the group gathers around the courtyard with Miller and Mila standing in front of the group. The group salutes Miller as puts out his hand and the group relaxes.

            “Good morning, everyone. It’s been a troublesome few days, but we’ve cleared the Dungeon.” Miller announces.

Faye smirks. “We already know that.”

            “Calm down Faye,” Tan says.

            “Come on, how can I calm down when it’s so damned early?”

Miller laughs. “Fine, I’ll go over the recent news. First off from here on, we’ll begin training within the Dungeon. We’ll be breaking off into two groups for our training, understood?”

            “I see one will remain here while the others get live training,” Otso says.

            “Yes. It’s a smile plan and we’ll need to grow stronger with what little time we have left.”

Mila steps forward. “We have less than a week left before the War begins. The other Candidates could attack us at any time and we will need to work out a way to defend ourselves and scout our enemy.”

            “Not to mention we likely have a giant target on our backs since Mila’s display of power was likely spotted by who knows how many people.”

Mila lowers her head. “I’m sorry, everyone.”

            “Come on, it wasn’t your fault,” Fiona says.

Rufus sighs. “This is going to be dangerous no matter what we do?”

            “That’s right. That’s why we’ll be coming up with defensive plans for how to take care of anyone who might come to take us out.” Glyn says, walking up to the group. “We’ve got to make it clear we’re the only targets on this island so the village won’t be attacked in the crossfire, so I’m thinking of making a secondary port.”

            “That likely won’t work. If we make our second port too obvious, they’ll likely see it as a trap.” Otso says.

Glyn nods. “That’s the point of this meeting to come up with strategies and plans to deal with this situation.”

            “Wait, isn’t there another reason?” Mila asks.

Glyn nods. “Sorry I forgot. We also have another reason for this meeting.”

Miller nods. “We have a pair of new allies joining up with us. Please welcome them.”

Glyn whistles and Zanrit walks out from behind a corner and walks up to the group. He towers over everyone before bowing as they look up at him.

            “I am Zanrit, I’m an Orc Warrior and now a Knight of Glyn Mattox,” Zanrit says with a smile on his face. “I look forward to working with all of you from here on.”

            “We already know the big guy. He’s been hanging around for a full day now.” Faye says.

Tan flies into the air and lands on Zanrit’s back. “Although I do like having someone so tall with us.”

            “Yes, he is an admirable warrior,” Fiona says.

            “Um, he looks strong alright,” Rufus says.

Ivar nods. “It will be an honor to work with you. It impressed me with how long you lasted in the Dungeon on your own.”

            “Yes. I want to make amends for my actions, so I will also work in the village on various tasks. But I assure you, helping with the battles to come are my highest priority.”

Sam nods. “Well, he seems like a good guy. But you said we’d have a pair. Where is the second person?”

            “She wanted to make an entrance,” Glyn says.

As he speaks, a figure leaps from on top of the roof and an arrow lands in the courtyard with a large vine growing out of the ground. Tisha grabs the vine and lowers herself to the ground as she leaps off of it and lands with the vine withering up. She smiles and bows to the group as Glyn walks over to her.

            “This is rather sudden, but Tisha will join us from here on.”

Tisha smiles. “As some of you know, I am Tisah Miaro. I’m here to clear my debt to all of you and that one in particular.” She says, pointing to Glyn. “I look forward to working with you and ending this game as soon as possible.”

            “Are we sure we can trust her?” Sam asks. “She did attack us.”

            “Sorry about that. I was trying to make a good impression, but it looks like I had the opposite effect.”

            “I agree with that,” Fiona says. “But I have to admit you are a skilled fighter, so I am happy to have you alongside us.”

            “As long as she doesn’t attack us again,” Rufus says.

Otso nods in agreement.

            “It’s cool as long as she sticks around, I’ll have more chances to beat her ass!” Faye yells out with a smirk on her face. “I’ll avenge you, Tan, you hear me?”

Tan flies down and hides behind Zanrit. “I’m not scared of her. I’m just wary of new people.”

Tisha sighs. “Well, I’m the Rook in this situation. So I’ll be happy to work with you all from here on. Whether you like it or not.”

Mila smiles.

            “You seem happy?” Miller asks.

            “I’m happy to have such capable allies.”

Glyn nods. “Alright, that’s enough with the introductions. We have to get to work. Sam, Tan, Otso, and Rufus, since you four haven’t been in the Dungeon yet, you four are next. Taisha, you’re in charge of watching over them and helping with this group's training.”

            “Got you. Everyone, it’s going to be rough, but we’re going to work hard and do our best!” Tisha yells out.

Everyone sighs.

“This is going to be rough,” Sam says.

            “Come on, I’m taking this personally,” Taisha says.

            “Zanrit, I’ll expect you to go in with the others for their training. I’m going to work on getting the difficulty just right for everyone.” Glyn says.

Zanrit nods. “I’m going to try my hardest in this.”

            “Alright, I’ll work on some other plans, so if you have any suggestions, I’ll listen to them.”

            “It’s not a suggestion. But I have a question.” Taisha says, getting everyone’s attention. “You said you wanted to take a particular someone out. But you never mentioned who they are.”

Everyone nods.

            “Yeah, who are we taking out?” Faye asks, as she punches the air. “I want to know who we’re taking out!”

Miller nods. “If we know our enemy, then we can know how best to deal with them?”

            “Yes, please let us know,” Mila says as her tail wags in the air.

Glyn sighs. “Well, I figured you guys out here wouldn’t know him. But I guess it’s fine to say something now.” He takes in a breath as everyone stares at him. “I want to take out the heir to the Fenwick Household, the son of the current Count Fenwick, a high-ranking noble. Kernig Fenwick!”

Glyn glares ahead with hatred and rage in his eyes as he clenches his fist. “I want to slaughter this man and crush his and his family’s ambitions of ever reaching a throne.”

            “This Fenwick Household? How threatening are they?” Sam asks.

Tisha shakes as she lets out a laugh. “That family. Of course, they would have someone from their bloodline here.”

            “Wait, who are they?” Mila asks.

            “The Fenwick household are legendary for the help they gave the King because of their family’s special craft. But the current Count and his son are infamous for several things, none of them good.” She says, turning to Glyn. “You want to crush them?”

            “Scared?”

            “No. I’m excited.” She says. “If there’s anyone who doesn’t deserve the throne, it’s someone of that bloodline.”

Glyn laughs. “Yeah. No one from that bloodline could ever be worthy of the throne. And that’s why it’s goal number one, to crush him above all else!”

1